IL IL - Debbie Fijan, 10, DuPage County, 11 Feb 1966 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM. True, however, based on the testimony from the dentist who removed Macek's teeth and had Macek's dental impression, I am of the belief that Milone was wrongfully convicted in Sally Kandels case. IIRC correctly, the young girl who witnessed the vehicle seen near where Sally's body was found testified it was not the same car Milone was seen driving. Those two facts, along with the fact ( to my understanding) that forensic dentistry was in it's infancy lead me to believe Macek, not Milone, was responsible for Sally's murder.

IMO, Macek, is still a possible though not likely suspect in Debbie's murder. IMO the evidence against LFS is still very strong and I find myself wondering what, if any, viable DNA is left this many years later. I hope I am wrong with that question/concern..... and that this case, being as old as it is, is still somewhere in line in the crime lab - and either DNA or experts are still reviewing evidence and forensics in this case.

jmo

Sorry for any confusion. I was only responding to the statement that Macek didn't sexually assault his victims---Sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't, which makes it even more difficult to establish a pattern or assign a definitive signature to Macek's attacks.

There has been some activity on Debbies facebook page. One of which was the suggestion of having her remains exhumed to see if any additional forensic evidence could be found which wasn't found back in 1966.
I can't get a link to work at the moment, but googling Debbie Fijan memorial facebook should find the link.

I've gone through all our postings again, the articles, trying to see what I'm missing... And I still can't figure out why the grand jury failed to indict LS! Is it possible that there was an aspect of the case, something that was never released to the public, that persuaded them that LS was not responsible for Debbie's death? Though grand jury proceedings in IL are sealed, and the privacy of the jurors is protected, can everyone on that jury have remained quiet all this time?
As I've posted previously, getting an indictment isn't that difficult, as the standard is basically the same, probable cause, as it is to effect an arrest.

Sheesh. No wonder I have to walk away from this stuff from time to time.

I've gone through all our postings again, the articles, trying to see what I'm missing... And I still can't figure out why the grand jury failed to indict LS! Is it possible that there was an aspect of the case, something that was never released to the public, that persuaded them that LS was not responsible for Debbie's death? Though grand jury proceedings in IL are sealed, and the privacy of the jurors is protected, can everyone on that jury have remained quiet all this time?
As I've posted previously, getting an indictment isn't that difficult, as the standard is basically the same, probable cause, as it is to effect an arrest.

Sheesh. No wonder I have to walk away from this stuff from time to time.

My guess - and this is just a guess is politics. IIRC there was quite a bit of political 'fighting' going on within the sheriffs office and coroners office at the time. I seem to recall reading other 'officials' involved with public bickering in MSM and while I don't recall specifics as it's been awhile, I think it included the person who testified about the fibers on the boots.

IIRC I found this by googling the names of officials mentioned in Debbies case and in other cases which occured around the same time.

I think whatever the public bickering and fighting within the judicial system in DPC at the time, along with LS's fathers political position carried over to Debbies case - but that is jmo.

(None of my above post should reflect on current investigators in any way. It was solely related to those involved in investigating Debbies case in 1966. )

jmo

Other unanswered questions about this case that bug me. The feathers found in LS's trunk. They were either tied to the chickens raised on his fathers farm or they were tied to the mounted goose Debbie brought to school that day for show and tell.

Debbie was not only stabbed, she was beaten on the left side of her face. What marks existed, if any on LS's hands, wrist and lower arms? I can't imagine the person responsible for Debbies murder would not have bruises or scratches on their hands, knuckles from hitting her. Maybe some defense wounds if Debbie attempted to fight off her attacker.

Back to the fibers on Debbies boots, which were later said to not match the fibers on the carpet in LS's car. How soon after Debbies murder was LS's car impounded and examined? Were there floor mats on the car and how new or old were they? Could they have been replaced by LE between the time Debbie was found and LE impounded the car for examination? Have those fibers been reexamined with todays technology?

Questions I'm sure LE is not going to share with the public, but questions none the less.

I'm still praying and waiting for the day I'm surprised and overjoyed by finding an MSM article or getting an email when it can be made public an arrest has finally been made in this case. Debbies case is always close to my heart. I can't even drive by the area down Rt 64 without tearing up thinking about this case.

Hopefully Justice comes soon for Debbie.

I used to live in Lombard & was just looking at unsolved DuPage Co. crimes when I ran accross Debbie... Then I remembered that I worked for a Dr. J. Schofield in high school. I am not sure if they are in any way related, but it was enough to get me reading...

We moved to Lombard when I was 9, but before that we lived in rural Texas. I mention that because I grew up country. We had chickens, geese, ducks, etc. I can tell you all for a fact that you can tell the difference between chicken & duck feathers in an instant. Now, as this area was not urban as yet, I would imagine that at least a few of the LEO's would have been able to tell the difference, ASAP, as well.

Also, even if the LS farm had ducks for eggs I seriously doubt that Debbie would have brought a mounted duck that was similar. Most mounts are "special" in some way, ie. a hunting trophy. I don't know anyone who would have paid to have a standard farm duck mounted.

Stolen from another WS member and adjusted accordingly for Debbies case.

Mr Schofield's family likely does follow this case and our online discussion.
They must know the suspicions that have fallen on the LS.
Mr Schofield could end all speculation by volunteering for a lie detector test.
He could hire a private company that specialize in these tests.
He could insist on the FBI's best and brightest to conduct a test.

He could voluntarily submit DNA to ensure he is ruled out as a suspect if he is not responsible.

He could, but he has not - to our knowledge.

45 years is too long. Debbie and her family deserve answers and justice.

moo.

:bump:

Bumping for Debbie. Praying her case is solved, an arrest made and the responsible party charged prior to her 55th birthday next month.

Debbie is not forgotten. Justice will come for Debbie, if not in this life, most certainly the next.

My message to the responsible party. Do the right thing. Go to law enforcement, confess what you have done. Get that monkey off your shoulder. Make a deal with prosecutors and your attorney and bring this family the closure they deserve. If this was your child, wouldn't you wish for the same? Murder is NEVER justified. Sins NEVER forgiven, remaining uncleansed until you do the right thing. Are you willing to gamble eternity? It would be much better if you went to LE first allowing a deal to be made. What does your conscience tell you?

Debbie Fijan, not forgotten, never forgotten.

I've been on a long break due to the arrival of our twins last spring. I have not forgotten Debbie! I'm sad no progress has apparently been made on this case. Justice, soon hope.

Arrest made in the 1957 murder of Maria Ridulph, age 7, DeKalb County, Sycamore IL.

An arrest almost 54 years later. Gives me additional confidence an arrest and conviction can still be made in Debbies case.

And, while we're on ancient IL area murders, Valerie Percy as well.

Happy Birthday Debbie.

Today Debbie would have turned 55 had a selfish evil inhumane monster not chosen to take her life,
something only God has the right to take.

Almost 46 years later this person has not faced the consequences of their actions
and Debbie has not received the justice she so deserves.

Debbie, you are not, nor will you ever be forgotten.
I have faith if justice is not served in this life, God will serve justice in the next.

I keep Debbies family, everyone who knew and loved her and LE working to solve this case in my prayers.
I continue to pray for answers, formal charges and a conviction.

Today marks 46 years since Debbies murder. With that, I'd like to add the following as it's the first thing which came to mind on this 46th anniversary of Debbie's unsolved murder.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open. Luke: 8:17

Debbie is not forgotten.

Still praying this case is solved soon. :praying:

I've been thinking about Debbie and hope that others will look into this case.

I think about this case often. Mention it to locals often....

I haven't given up confidence in DuPage Counties ability to solve this case.

Do you know if anyone has reviewed the case file/evidence at this point?

A DNA sample could go a long way......

Debbie is still on the DuPage co. cold case webside. Her case is the oldest of nine unsolved cases.

Do you know if anyone has reviewed the case file/evidence at this point?

A DNA sample could go a long way......

No idea. I haven't heard from the detective handling Debbie's case in a long time, but I knew they were working the case and in contact with Debbie's family last time we emailed. I agree a dna sample would go a long long way.

I'll send off an email to the detective before week's end and ask if there is any updates he can share with us.

In the mean time, I still think of Debbie often even though this thread is no longer as active as it once was.

Debbie has not and will not be forgotten.

Debbie's brother Jack posted here over two years ago that detectives had visited his mother in FL (six years earlier) to collect a dna sample. So, eight years ago they got a dna sample from Debbie's mother and since then we do know that the cold case unit in DuPage co. was disbanded and started back up again, maybe three years ago. Jack did state that he had talked to a detective and could not discuss the case on WS.

The fact that they needed a dna sample from Debbie's mom still bothers me....was evidence lost, no longer usable or never collected at the scene. Its been eight years since they collected the dna sample from her. And we don't even know if the same detectives are working the case that were eight years ago. The detective assigned to the case over two years ago had not even looked at the files yet and he was in court for another case at the time. DuPage Co. cold case website has only nine unsolved cases...Debbie's is the oldest. There are three from the 70's, three from the 80's and two from the 90's.

I do believe Debbie's case can be solved with todays technology being so much better than it was in 1966. But I am very concerned about the amount of time that is put into this case. It has been 46 years since Debbie was brutally murdered and I think her family deserves to know who was responsible for her death.

Dupage Co illinois does not have a good reputation for solving crimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member