CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely agree with your opening statement: I think that the spot where the car was found is not related to the business at all. I just wanted to say that I think most of us on here are interested in justice for Sonia and to assist, if possible, in finding out who did this to her. The story of the two women at Greenhawk is recent and it's relevance to the case is likely none or minimal. It just helped to solidify the location of the car, it was a few good sleuthy posters who discovered the location using tools like streetview. Once the photos of the car were published in the main stream media, it was fairly easy to discover where the car was parked at the time the photos were taken.

Other points we aren't sure about yet are whether the doors were open and trunk open. My thoughts are if the employees parked near the vehicle, they would have noticed that and saw the blood. It could be that the doors were not open at all and the employee(s) noticed the blood either right away or when they went back to look at the car again.

Early in the case, the scene was described as "gruesome" :

"An unidentified local man told the Orangeville Banner the scene around the Toyota was "gruesome." He told the Banner he saw blood on the rear bumper of the car, left with its front doors and trunk wide open."

In this article, did this man see the car that morning or when the police got there and then opened the doors and trunk? Was he one of the first people on the scene?

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/Woman+missing+house+found+bloodstained/3465304/story.html

Good question matou. There are a couple of houses across from where the car was found. I wonder if he lives in one of those and when he might have noticed the car and the activity around it if that is the case. I don't imagine that any locals would have been able to see much once the police showed up and the tape was put up to block the laneway.

MOO

The type of boot they are looking for has nothing to do with horses. The tread in that type of boot would hang up in a stirrup. Those boots remind me of the type my husband wears everyday.
Also I think the killer had his car parked near where Sonia's car was left. I do not think he put her body in his car at that location. I think he went directly to the dump site, left her body then dropped the car and got in his. He was not going to get that blood in his car. He took her to hide evidence, he's not going to taint his car. She had a large amount dripping blood by her doorway.

I see that "Camp Cooch" in Longford Mills (where Sonia worked) had a celebrity visitor this summer:

http://www.simcoe.com/news/article/849286--youths-impress-ignatieff

Here's another story from the summer of 2010:

http://www.thestar.com/freshairfund/article/835330--grand-mal-seizure-taken-in-stride

BTW, does anyone know which realtor Sonia used to buy her townhouse? Might be able to get info about the unit she bought from that.

I'm sorry, but can you explain to me the significance of these two articles and their relation to the murder of Sonia and the eventual arrest of her murderer?

I'm sorry, but can you explain to me the significance of these two articles and their relation to the murder of Sonia and the eventual arrest of her murderer?

Sure. Various news articles have stated that Sonia worked at "Camp Cooch" this past summer, in Longford Mills. As I understand it, she worked with epileptic children at the camp. The obituary also listed this camp as a place to make memorial donations for Sonia.

If Sonia was murdered by someone she knew, it seems logical that information about her background is relevant, especially the weeks leading up to her murder.

I know that paddling and sailing are offered at that camp. How about horseback riding?

Welcome Orange_snapdragon. Thanks for your post. I couldn't agree with you more about making sure that arrest sticks. I just think that the local public is wanting some reassurance that LE has a handle on this and that there isn't an unknown crazed killer among them who can strike again anytime at random. Any ideas how they could do that without giving away any of their investigation?

Thank you Kamille. I am sure both the OPP and the Orangeville Police are acutely aware of the understandable uneasiness of residents. While maintaining public safety, their prime focus must be on the investigation. We've all heard the expression "it takes a village to raise a child". In my opinion, it also takes a village to keep a community safe. All residents must remain vigilant and look out for one another.

I have lived in Caledon for over 25 years. I travel to Orangeville typically two Saturdays a month to shop and run errands. I feel safe while I am there. However, I must admit that since Sonia's disappearance, I have been more closely observing the people around me and not engaging in as much idle chit chat with strangers.

I would like to offer comment on the Greenhawk issue. To me, the publicity of the lawsuit is both a curse and a blessing. As a CURSE: the police likely had a good reason if they asked the women to keep the details of their discovery a secret. If this was the case, they should have done as asked. I am still uncertain as to what going public will do for them. People sue other people everyday and it does not make headlines. From the BLESSING perspective, I think many have learned that the car was not necessarily where media reported it to have been found. I always thought it was found behind the townhall. Perhaps this will jog the memories of those living in the area (see more on that below) and new leads will result. After all these years, I learned something about the area this weekend. I usually stick to the roads associated with my shopping sites (Zehrs, Shoppers, Crappy Tire, the mall)...this weekend I took a trip through the alley that runs parallel to Broadway as I could not landmark the Greenhawk location in my mind. I knew the alley started behind the the restaurant at the corner of Broadway and 1st St. For years I assumed when it got to 2nd St. that was it. I figured the entrance that continues on at the east side of 2nd Street was the driveway/parking entrance to townhall. I discovered that it is both that AND also continues all the way along to 3rd St. and is seemingly used as 'at the rear' parking for businesses on Broadway, including Greenhawk. There is a large number of what I assume is rental accomodation on the north side, for a long stretch of the alley. Not to be judgemental, but my impression is that it is not exactly the nicest area of town. I mention the alley only because in my mind only a local quite familiar with the area would know of its existance.

Do the locals in Orangeville recognize there is an establishment that has caused a great deal of concern to some local residents and that both the Orangeville Banner and Orangeville Citizen has reported on. Town council is even aware of the problems and issues this establishment has caused. Ex - convicts and and people with severe mental health - addictions. Recently had a grop op dismantled there.

It`s called Baywinds on 1st Ave

Apparently a ``Retirement Home`` However, it is so much more than a retirement home....36 calls at Baywinds and seven arrests have been made. QUESTION - WHO`s been staying there and does the management in the place supervise these residents to any great extent

http://www.orangeville.com/news/article/240273--not-a-witch-hunt-say-neighbours

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2009-09-17/front_page/003.html

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2009-08-20/front_page/003.html

I`m just putting it out there. Has this place been checked out

Do the locals in Orangeville recognize there is an establishment that has caused a great deal of concern to some local residents and that both the Orangeville Banner and Orangeville Citizen has reported on. Town council is even aware of the problems and issues this establishment has caused. Ex - convicts and and people with severe mental health - addictions. Recently had a grop op dismantled there.

It`s called Baywinds on 1st Ave

Apparently a ``Retirement Home`` However, it is so much more than a retirement home....36 calls at Baywinds and seven arrests have been made. QUESTION - WHO`s been staying there and does the management in the place supervise these residents to any great extent

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2009-09-17/front_page/003.html

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2009-08-20/front_page/003.html

I`m just putting it out there. Has this place been checked out

Interesting find Charley, it would definitely be a good place for LE to check out, especially with ex cons living there.

Sure. Various news articles have stated that Sonia worked at "Camp Cooch" this past summer, in Longford Mills. As I understand it, she worked with epileptic children at the camp. The obituary also listed this camp as a place to make memorial donations for Sonia.

If Sonia was murdered by someone she knew, it seems logical that information about her background is relevant, especially the weeks leading up to her murder.

I know that paddling and sailing are offered at that camp. How about horseback riding?

So are you saying that the leader of the Liberal party should be considered a suspect in her murder?

So are you saying that the leader of the Liberal party should be considered a suspect in her murder?

Nope. Simply giving background of the camp named by Sonia's family for memorial donations. It seems to be a well-known and respected camp. And one high-profile person thought it was important enough to visit on a publicity tour.

I keep thinking about her new home. She moved in not too long ago which makes her vulnerable to a bunch of new people. Construction workers, repairmen, plumbers. Most definitely the cable/internet guy. All of these people wear boots. All of them know more about your life then you would probably like.

I wonder if one of these workers decided they wanted to rob the place at night as it's an easy target but they didn't expect her to fight and she ends up being killed.

Or if one of these people got infatuated with her and she didn't want him in return. So he went in and took her anyway not expecting she would fight and was killed.

Again whoever did it probably wasn't expecting to have to kill her so the evidence ends up looking so messy with no rhyme or reason.

It was mentioned here a long time ago, that clothing was found north of Orangeville, prior to Sonia being found.

Does anyone know if this is true, or is it a rumour?

It was mentioned here a long time ago, that clothing was found north of Orangeville, prior to Sonia being found.

Does anyone know if this is true, or is it a rumour?

Clothing WAS definitely found I just don't know if it was related to Sonia or not.

No he was convicted and spent 22 years in jail. (Colin Thatcher)

Thanks.

That's not who I was actually thinking of. I was thinking of the Quebec Premier in in 1977, though now that I really think it about it, it wasn't technically "murder", as he was driving a car (and I believe he had been drinking ) and he hit a man, causing death and he never did see the inside of the courtroom for it, as LE decided not to press charges at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member