British student murdered in Perugia, 3 suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish this case were tried in a US court for a variety of reasons. Guilty or not, the accused deserves a fair trial. The victim's deserve a fair trial too. A show trial or sham trial is worthless. At least in the US you have to convince the jury of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and also the crime has to have happened as it is described. In this case, while Knox might very well be guilty of SOMETHING... I don't necessarily buy the prosecution's version of the events. What evidence there is in the case is muddled and contradictory. There is so much in the news that has never been presented in court, and with no one sequestered, its hard to know what the Jury will actually go with. The prosecution has several versions of what happened... sex game, Knox was angry at the victim, etc. Some evidence is there... some doesn't fit like the so called murder weapon not matching the knife wounds on the body. The case just needs a more thorough court to handle it all and in a timely manner.

What news was not presented in court? The knife does match the fatal wound, plus has DNA of both Amanda and Meredith on it. On the timely part you may be right, but on the thorough part I don't think so much. You know that like 10 judges look over the evidence to see if it is satifactory for a possible prosecution right?

If innocent, there is absolutely NO reason to tell repeated lies as Amanda and Raffaele have done. Why would one killer, clean up a crime scene but leave obvious signs that that person was there? Why was there a staged break-in?
Who and why would Meredith's position be moved and tampered with? Who would benefit by steering LE towards the idea of a break-in and rape? Who could 'clean up' the crime scene without much worry of being interrupted?
Again, why lie at all... not to mention over and over???

I guess some people will believe what they want. I still think the trial is a fiasco whether Knox is guilty or not.

Im not saying she isnt guilty or at least involved in this... but I have a hard time following some of the prosecutions story, at least as how it is presented here on US tv.

I promise you I am not just believing what I want to. I read several forums (from both sides) regularly and have followed this case closely from the very beginning.
From the US press reports, I can see how you feel the way you do. They have been very biased for the most part and are usually leaning to the side of Amanda's innocence. Plus some of the testimony and some of the reporting has been a little mixed up in translation... with some facts distorted and others down right wrong. I also agree with the Italian judiciary system is much different than ours in the US. Some things work better and some not so much. For one thing the time it has taken does not seem fair for the accused... but that happens sometimes here too. Although some of the evidence is ambiguous, the Italian authorities have really done a very serious job investigating this. You know they do not want their system seen as a farce, so they are doing their best to cross their Ts and dot their Is.

If you have any questions I would be glad to try to help, just ask away. I have been intrigued with this case since day one.

If you don't trust the prosecution then ask Knox what happened that night. Maybe she will tell you. While she is grinning and laughing.

I don't believe it was a "sex game" gone wrong, I think she was killed out of jealousy because Amanda was obviously jealous of Meredith.

does anybody know who covered Meredith up with the bed spread and who locked Meredith's door?

and does anybody know if Rudy has implicated either Amanda or Raf or both as being there that night with him?

I promise you I am not just believing what I want to. I read several forums (from both sides) regularly and have followed this case closely from the very beginning.
From the US press reports, I can see how you feel the way you do. They have been very biased for the most part and are usually leaning to the side of Amanda's innocence. Plus some of the testimony and some of the reporting has been a little mixed up in translation... with some facts distorted and others down right wrong. I also agree with the Italian judiciary system is much different than ours in the US. Some things work better and some not so much. For one thing the time it has taken does not seem fair for the accused... but that happens sometimes here too. Although some of the evidence is ambiguous, the Italian authorities have really done a very serious job investigating this. You know they do not want their system seen as a farce, so they are doing their best to cross their Ts and dot their Is.

If you have any questions I would be glad to try to help, just ask away. I have been intrigued with this case since day one.

If you'd like to can you give me a briefing on the pros and cons of her innocence?

Thanks

GUILTY. The only reason there's anyone on the other side is because she's a somewhat cute and young white girl from the USA.

I wish this case were tried in a US court for a variety of reasons. Guilty or not, the accused deserves a fair trial. The victim's deserve a fair trial too. A show trial or sham trial is worthless. At least in the US you have to convince the jury of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and also the crime has to have happened as it is described. In this case, while Knox might very well be guilty of SOMETHING... I don't necessarily buy the prosecution's version of the events. What evidence there is in the case is muddled and contradictory. There is so much in the news that has never been presented in court, and with no one sequestered, its hard to know what the Jury will actually go with. The prosecution has several versions of what happened... sex game, Knox was angry at the victim, etc. Some evidence is there... some doesn't fit like the so called murder weapon not matching the knife wounds on the body. The case just needs a more thorough court to handle it all and in a timely manner.

There is no reason why this should be tried in the U.S. The crime was committed in Italy so it should be tried in Italian courts. I don't think this case would have been any better or worse represented in this country. It just seems pretty ethnocentric to assume we have a superior court system. This is Italy we are talking about - a 1st world, developed country, a lot of our own judicial system and gov't structure is based on the Italian model. Their court system similar to ours and they do have to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. This is not some 3rd world country we are referring to.
The U.S has sensational trials all the time and with our obsession w/ media and 24/7 media access this trial could potentially turn into a bigger circus if it was done in the U.S.
How many trials do we read about here where evidence was not submitted, where contradictory statements are made, where the prosecution puts up bogus arguements or they become so convinced and focused on someone's guilt they get tunnel vision and ignore evidence which could prove otherwise. Innocent people are convicted all the time in the U.S. We do not have some super advanced, foul-proof system here. With our appeal system this case could have taken much, much longer to go to trial. You have to give the prosecution and defense adequate time to build their cases and 2 yrs doesn't seem that outrageous.

It seems to me that the American legal system tends to favor the defendant more than the Italian system, particularly if the defendant can obtain top drawer legal talent. All of the checks and balances are pretty much worthless if all you have is a Public Defender. I'm not sure this is a good thing. I have no idea if anyone has compared the "innocents convicted/guilties aquitted" rates between the two countries but I would be willing to bet that the amount the defendant spends on counsel counts for more in an American Court than an Itallian Court.

Had this occured in the US, Amanda's attorney would have done everything he could to keep the initial statement she (and Raf) gave, out of the courtroom. I don't think the forensic evidence on its own nails them and there may have been ways to "explain" the cleanup/stageing activities but the initial series of lies they gave were very hard to get around.

In the US, "witnesses" are not Mirandized; only suspects are. Any time a "witness" discloses something in a police interview that ends up as "evidence" against them, a defence Att will try to have it "thrown out" because there was no Miranda warning. It dosen't always work; its kind of a grey area.

My own guess at what happened is that the four (Amanda, Raf, Rudy and Merideth) were together and "something" happened and one of them killed Merideth. The other two apparently came to the conclusion that they were in it "too deep" and did not run to the police. Rudy seems to have believed(probably correctly) that it would be hung on him as he better fit the profile of a killer. The prosecuter is now hanging it on Amanda (because she, unlke Rudy) is on trial. The evidence doen't point to any of them in particular (but it establishes that they were all "involved"). What really went down is anybody's guess.

I don't believe the truth will ever be known about this case...I think the prosecution is tainted and clearly the defendants are not completely innocent....it is sort of hard to imagine at the bare minimum that they cared much for the murdered roommate given their behavior while waiting to be questioned.

If it were the US, I am not sure it would have made it to trial, but then again I live in a dream world that someone as shady as Miglini would have been put out of office by now...again JMO. For anyone who has not read "Monster of Florence", this same prosecutor is a central figure in the tale. http://johnbakersblog.co.uk/the-monster-of-florence/

I think there is more than one prosecutor in the case, so all can not be blamed on Miglini.

I think there is more than one prosecutor in the case, so all can not be blamed on Miglini.

The guy is uber creepy though. That article was written in 2006. Why he's still there is beyond me.

I'm new to this discussion, but have been doing a lot of reading on the case. I'd love to hear opinions on a few points--or facts--there's a lot of contradictory reporting...

1) Is this a fact or a rumor--Raffaele purchasing bleach twice on the morning after the murder?

2) I have read that the victim, Meredith, did not have the defensive wounds one would expect to see in an attack this vicious, and this is one of the major arguments for multiple assailants. Do we know if this is true--lack of defensive wounds?

3) I am inclined to believe Amanda and Raffaele were involved in this crime. What has me scratching my head, though, is that Rudy Guede (guilty beyond the shadow of a doubt; he was there) offers an account of A & R's involvement that is impossible for me to believe. He says he was invited home by Meredith (which I don't believe, but let's give him that) and after sex he sat on the toilet listening to an ipod while the other two came in and killed her. Then Raffaele screamed something like, "Look, it's a black guy! We can blame him!"

Here's my problem. If I'm Guede and the truth of my guilt is that I acted in concert with A & R... Why do I need to make up such a totally absurd lie of a story? Wouldn't he have told a story that was at least closer to what actually happened? Maybe I am giving Guede too much credit. Perhaps the answer is as simple as he's not very smart and he wanted a story that had him out of the room when the murder occurred.

4) Motive. It's a huge problem for me. I will never buy that this was a murder planned by A & R, or even a rape. I just think they're smart enough to know that they could be caught and their lives would be destroyed. There's not enough to gain--no money, lover, child. I think there is a heat-of-the-moment & things-got-crazy scenario that is very possible. But even then, I feel like I need drugs heavier than pot to get me there. It feels more like Manson girls, Karla Fay Tucker... violence facilitated by drugs that impair your sense of what is and isn't real.

Anyway. You all seem to know a lot, so I wonder what thoughts you have on this stuff.

Gigi

"Edda Mellas and Curt Knox were served with a notice that they were being investigated for defamation when they arrived in Italy on Friday for the final stage of their daughter’s trial.

State prosecutors in Perugia launched the action because the couple, who are separated, claimed Knox, 22, was ill-treated by police after her arrest for the murder of Meredith, 21, in November 2007."
"In Italy defamation is punishable with a minimum fine of 500 euros and a jail sentence of up to three years."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/143042/Police-sue-Foxy-s-parents-for-libel-over-abuse-claims-

(The verdict in the murder trial of Amanda Knox is expected within a week or so.)

If Amanda and her parents lied about the abuse, then I applaud the authorities for suing them. They're probably spreading the lies to see if they can drum up sympathy for a cold blooded murderer. Hopefully, the Italians are smarter than that...

<snip>

Perugia, Italy (CNN) -- A defense lawyer for Amanda Knox made an impassioned plea to the jury Wednesday as the high-profile case neared its conclusion. Knox is the American student accused of killing her British roommate, Meredith Kercher, at the villa they shared in Italy.

"We suffer at the memory of Meredith. But we look at the future of Amanda," Luciano Ghirga said in his defense summation.

"Meredith was my friend," he quoted Knox as saying, rejecting the notion that she hated her roommate, who was fatally stabbed in November 2007.

more here

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/02/italy.knox.closing/index.html?eref=edition

t1larg.knox.wednesday.afp.gi.jpg

Anyone know when a verdict is expected? It seems like this one has been dragging on forever. Meredith deserves justice.

Anyone know when a verdict is expected? It seems like this one has been dragging on forever. Meredith deserves justice.

according to the BBC, the deliberations are expected to begin Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni