Will Casey face probation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lady (sorry don't have her name handy), from the last DOC presser, said that she has been in contact w/ Casey's atty's and that they expect a stay. Could this be the source for all the reporting ?

i think her name is Gretl, and that's what i'm thinking. :)

The lady (sorry don't have her name handy), from the last DOC presser, said that she has been in contact w/ Casey's atty's and that they expect a stay. Could this be the source for all the reporting ?

yep, don't you just love media playing telephone, or I guess playing tweet...

[The DT expects a stay...Judge "will" stay....Judge has issued a stay!]

I really want to know, why in the heck is DOC having pressers anyway? Everyone knew it was a misconstrued/mistyped Order from the Court. Why more much ado about nothing?

I personally believe that FCA will get NOTHING and this will turn into another week or two of probation circus. Maybe I am still pizzed over the verdict but she'll walk and shel'll walk just like she did that night out of the jail a free woman. I feel it in my bones.

ETA: A friend asked me who could she possibly need a cellphone to talk to and I said all the men in Pinnealls County since she knows for a fact that they would be on the side of the Stupid 12.

I got the feeling, from the press conference, that the DOC was trying to show that this mess up isn't their fault (can't blame them for that). I would think that the DOC and the Judge would be on the same sheet, but this may be a CYA type of situation.

So, probation served while locked in a jail cell, and jail time being served outside....alrighty then!

I am completely disillusioned with the American justice system. Yes, mistakes can happen, and things do not always go the way they should, but up until now I always respected our justice system.

No more.

What I don't like about all this probation stuff is that it is just getting more news coverage for her and her DT .. just starting the circus up again. In the end, I think she willl just get lots more media coverage... then she will get out of it like she does everything else.. or get to secretly serve her probation.... "for her protection"

I never thought this case would end with everyone just hanging onto the hope that she will have to serve a piddly probation... what a looong way from the death sentence or lwop....just so sad.

I'm seeing so many conflicting reports... Am I correct in that there's been NO ruling from HHJP as of yet?

I'm wondering if ICA was of a different race would she have been treated
the same? Seems they have bent over backwards( the court) to protect her.
I also wonder how much HHJP's friendship with CM may have affected this case.

I wonder that too. CM got away with some absolutely bizarre behavior/threats, etc. and Perry seemed amused by it. Sad.

Most of the local news organizations are reporting that they "expect" a stay, "according to sources close to the investigation". The Sentinel's reporting is somewhat different...

Casey Anthony must report to probation office Thursday, DOC officials say
Department of Corrections spokeswoman: We're prepared to follow court's order

At least one news organization has reported that Judge Belvin Perry has issued a stay on Strickland's amended order, meaning Casey Anthony would not have to show up for probation.

However, DOC spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger said she has no word of a stay. Corrections officials still expect Casey Anthony to report between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. Thursday.

"Until we're notified by the court, we're moving forward," Plessinger said, adding that the intake process can start as early as 7 a.m.

More at link

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ny-probation-hearing-20110803,0,7116767.story

Raw footage of this morning's press conference OCDOC.
http://www.wftv.com/video/28753891/index.html

about 2 minutes in...

OC DOC spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger : "It’s not uncommon for offenders to spend at least part of their probation in jail."

Reporter questions her on this…Something to the effect that for most of us, we understand probation as something that is completed outside of jail. He asks her to explain how those two things could happen simultaneously?

She replies:
“ We have offenders who come on to probation, then get arrested. If they’re arrested …just because they are charged does not mean they are convicted. If the offender is jailed during what would have been probation time, and then new charges are dropped, or they do not get a conviction, then generally their probation will count during the jail time.”

It appears that this example is for a case where a person is on the outside on probation, and gets arrested for a new charge, someone who has served time, been out on parole, tried to make it in the world. The person is then charged of a new crime and jailed; therefore, this parolee is not able to work or complete other duties of probation. Someone may have wrongly accused that person knowing that person was on parole.

My understanding is that since the person was not convicted on the new crime, allowing that person that probation time served gives that person the benefit of the doubt of not violating the probation taking place on the outside.

IMO this example she cited is a different circumstance from KC. Gretl's example makes sense to me. The parole time served in jail time for a dropped charge makes more sense to me. I think that would be fair in that case.

IMO The difference here is that Casey was not outside making good on her checks, supporting herself, making a good attempt at being a parolee or productive citizen, and then wrongly accused of murder.

:waitasec:
Maybe I am not thinking clearly...I am tired today

Regardless ....whether or not one can serve probation in jail is not the issue...the sentence was for her to serve one year after release from jail. It was only made unclear as she was up for a murder trial after the check charges. The judge showed no bias by stating that if she is acquitted, she would serve that probation when she was released from jail. That makes sense...to me anyway.

So, probation served while locked in a jail cell, and jail time being served outside....alrighty then!

I am completely disillusioned with the American justice system. Yes, mistakes can happen, and things do not always go the way they should, but up until now I always respected our justice system.

No more.

Me too. OJ, the Ramseys, a bunch of local cases (goin' both ways), and on and on. Now this. I don't thing we (as a country) are going to heck in a hand basket, I think we've gone and are already there! The KC verdict is so devoid of anything right or just or true. The scales of justice are no longer balanced. It's very frustrating and sad.

I'm guessing they have to make arrangements for a place for KC to live. CA and GA may not want her at their home at this time. The stay may have been issued because KC has to have a permanent address before she can move back. It's not like she can move in anywhere and get a job. JB did say this morning they were trying to work things out. So this could be a reason. Can't blame the A's for being reluctant. jmo

Can't she stay with <mod snip> Mason or her <mod snip> Baez? I'm sure his wife would welcome the help with their new baby.....

OK let's say she was "on probation" in jail. She was found guilty of lying to LE. Does that violate her probation or was it "over" at that point?

Her probation is going to be at arm's-lenth. There is too much of a circus atmosphere in Orlando - Perry won't allow it. IMO

Raw footage of this morning's press conference OCDOC.
http://www.wftv.com/video/28753891/index.html

OC DOC: "It’s not uncommon for offenders to spend at least part of their probation in jail."

Reporter questions her on this…Something to the effect that for most of us, we understand probation as something that is completed outside of jail. He asks her to explain how those two things could happen simultaneously?

She replies:
“ We have offenders who come on to probation, then get arrested. If they’re arrested …just because they are charged does not mean they are convicted. If the offender is jailed during what would have been probation time, and then new charges are dropped, or they do not get a conviction, then generally their probation will count during the jail time.”

It appears that this example is for a case where a person is on the outside on probation, and gets arrested for a new charge, someone who has served time, been out on parole, tried to make it in the world. The person is then charged of a new crime and jailed; therefore, this parolee is not able to work or complete other duties of probation. Someone may have wrongly accused that person knowing that person was on parole.

My understanding is that since the person was not convicted on the new crime, allowing that person that probation time served gives that person the benefit of the doubt of not violating the probation taking place on the outside.

IMO this example she cited is a different circumstance from KC. Her example makes sense to me. The parole time served in jail time for a dropped charge makes more sense to me. I think that would be fair in that case.

IMO The difference here is that Casey was not outside making good on her checks, supporting herself, making a good attempt at being a parolee or productive citizen, and then wrongly accused of murder.

:waitasec:
Maybe I am not thinking clearly...I am tired today

Regardless ....whether or not one can serve probation in jail is not the issue...the sentence was for her to serve one year after release from jail. It was only made unclear as she was up for a murder trial after the check charges. The judge showed no bias by stating that if she is acquitted, she would serve that probation when she was released from jail. That makes sense...to me anyway.

BINGO! You nailed it exactly as it was intended. Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288