GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM - and this judge just reinforced what the parents had taught him.

EXACTLY! So how can the reporter even state (irresponsible journalism anyway, interjecting a phrase like this) there is no "apparent irony" - ummm. what? That is the defintion of irony. The judge reaffirmed what he had been taught.

I have to sit on my hands here because I don't want no time outs, but the info that you all have uncovered makes this story even more impossible to stomach. Sad statement on the direction our culture is going IMO.

EXACTLY! So how can the reporter even state (irresponsible journalism anyway, interjecting a phrase like this) there is no "apparent irony" - ummm. what? That is the defintion of irony. The judge reaffirmed what he had been taught.

I have to sit on my hands here because I don't want no time outs, but the info that you all have uncovered makes this story even more impossible to stomach. Sad statement on the direction our culture is going IMO.

I agree. To a certain extent. The problem is that so many kids never hear the word NO or are held accountable and punished. They need to know right from wrong early and it be consistent.
What we have here is a kid who I bet NEVER heard no. And if he did, No one meant it.

Just as a note on those quotes--Gawker isn't really what I'd typically consider 'mainstream media' and I expected it to turn out that their coverage was more dramatic than factual. But then I followed their links to the local affiliates' coverage and I couldn't find any discrepancies. So I linked both in the original post. Gawker's article is admittedly sarcastic, but it doesn't seem they misrepresented any of it.

(I know you weren't specifically attacking the Gawker article, other than the irony quote, but I did want to mention this anyway as Gawker isn't usually what I'd use as a primary source.)

EXACTLY! So how can the reporter even state (irresponsible journalism anyway, interjecting a phrase like this) there is no "apparent irony" - ummm. what?

"With no apparent irony" means that the judge didn't appear to make the statements in an ironic tone.

Just as a note on those quotes--Gawker isn't really what I'd typically consider 'mainstream media' and I expected it to turn out that their coverage was more dramatic than factual. But then I followed their links to the local affiliates' coverage and I couldn't find any discrepancies. So I linked both in the original post. Gawker's article is admittedly sarcastic, but it doesn't seem they misrepresented any of it.

(I know you weren't specifically attacking the Gawker article, other than the irony quote, but I did want to mention this anyway as Gawker isn't usually what I'd use as a primary source.)

Concur. They did not misrepresent.

This article has some more info on how he was raised? and his 'condition':

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ry.html?algtrack=mixedrecfill-1&tid=btm_rex_1

.......Prosecutors had asked that the boy be sentenced to 20 years in prison, but Gary Miller, the psychologist who testified in his behalf, recommended counseling. Miller said that the boy had an unhealthy relationship with his wealthy parents, who used him as a tool and a hostage to extract concessions from each other.

Meanwhile, they neglected to teach Miller that dangerous behavior could have serious consequences, according to the psychologist.

“He never learned that sometimes you don’t get your way,” Miller said. “He had the cars and he had the money. He had freedoms that no young man would be able to handle.”

He used the term “affluenza,” which describes the ennui and depravity of certain very rich people, and which was popularized by psychologist Oliver James in a 2007 book by the same title. One reviewer found James’s critique of a materialist society to be convincing:

Affluenza, as defined by James, is clearly recognisable as our way of life. It spreads because it feeds on itself; when you try to make yourself feel better by buying a car, or bulking up in the gym, or spraying on a fake tan, or having a facelift, you actually make yourself feel worse, which makes you want to buy more things. . . .

More at link.....

Neighter have I.
Affluenza, indeed.

Well, the cure should have been to take responsibility, which includes any appropriate punishments that everyone else would face (including the poor!)

The worst thing about his defense is that they say he was taught by his parents that people with money can get away with things. They didn't learn that without experience.

I also love the word affluenza. I didn't know it was a real word. It describes a lot of the rich people in our society.

The worst thing about his defense is that they say he was taught by his parents that people with money can get away with things. They didn't learn that without experience.

I also love the word affluenza. I didn't know it was a real word. It describes a lot of the rich people in our society.

I don't like the word. I feel like when we make up a word like that and accept it and use it we give it power. That is a word I don't want to hear again.

I believe in this case there has to be some recourse. Even if it is a campaign to remove this judge. I would not vote for her.

I also hope that this 16 yr old can take this and change his life. I can only hope it was so much of a scare that he changes. No it does not bring back those who died, But I can only pray somewhere something clicked and he will use his life to make sure others learn from his mistakes.
I don't want you to think I am okay with this sentence or think he should not do time. I believe he should but at this point that is water under the bridge. I can only hope from here out it changes something in him.

My heart is with the victims families and the paralyzed friend.

And judge just reinforced what he learned from his parents by giving him probation. And treatment in some fancy facility. How is he ever going to learn his actions have consequences?

Two teens busted for letting Connecticut girl drive drunk
Police said the two boys, both 17, knew Jane Modlesky was 'highly intoxicated' before they let her drive off in the SUV last July. The 17-year-old star lacrosse player for Glastonbury High School crashed a half-mile later and died before emergency workers arrived at the scene.
By Joe Kemp / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, December 6, 2013, 8:32 AM

Five months after a 17-year-old girl died in a Connecticut crash, two teenage boys were arrested for letting her drive drunk, police said.

Cops said the two unidentified boys, both 17, did nothing to stop Jane Modlesky from getting behind the wheel of an SUV before she crashed into a tree in Glastonbury on July 14, according to WFSB-TV....

The star lacrosse player for Glastonbury High School died before emergency workers arrived at the scene.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...k-fatal-crash-article-1.1539646#ixzz2nIzNwtuJ

I guess in Texas letting someone drive off drunk isn't a crime like it is in Connecticut.

I would not think the appropriate "treatment" for his "affluenza" should be a half a million dollar treatment facility. I would take away all his toys and privileges and send him away to some remote, impoverished village somewhere (to do manual labor and help people that struggle every day to survive) for the next 10 years to learn some compassion and humility.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members