LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that they are "seasoned cyclists", but in my family we have the same and they would never ever in a million years ride without a helmet anywhere. And when I say experienced cyclists my family has ridden bikes across Italy and most recently from California to Alaska. I think this group are cyclists are more serious than the average, but some are probably just biking for fun and nothing more. Not putting them down in any way...hard to type my tone in posts and I was up really really late yesterday so my thoughts might not come out how I intend. I guess my point is its ok for people to question little things about the bike rack, helmet etc because experienced bikers use these things.

Eta my post is out of context sorry...I was pages behind when you all were talking about bikes sorry!

Most people here seem to think she was taken by someone she knows. Perhaps she recognized the vehicle and pulled over? Maybe she was offered a ride by this person and she decided to take it since she was so tired...and felt safe around this individual.

I suppose my thoughts veer toward the possibility that she didn't know the perp...and that she realized she was being followed. Would she have pulled over to let the truck pass her? Just thinking aloud....

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if she ran a red light at that time of night. Without much traffic around, I probably would have done the same.

So how does one investigate such a thing? Hire private investigators to folllow neighbors around for the day?

Thats pretty much what Ive been doing as there are no other solid leads.

Also, just learned the cameras on the sterling life insurance building at 700 st. Landry cant quite see the street. So no help there. But the good news is they are having new cameras installed for that very purpose

The 30 mile distance and history of the location of the bicycle dump has me concerned. LE reported that the bike was dumped in the early morning hours of 05/19/2012. Imo, this would rule out a bicycle thief, since the news of MS missing wasn't in the media as of yet.
I feel that once at Whiskey Bay, the abductor/s would not venture back out on the roads at that time of night and chance being caught with an abducted victim. IMO, their safe haven would have been somewhere within this vicinity.

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/CrimeStat/files/CrimeStatChapter.10.pdf

geographic profiling is concerned
with what is called “distance to K” functions.
“This means, “that most individuals
will travel fairly limited distances to do certain
things. There’s a large body of research called
“journey to crime” that shows that criminals tend
to commit their crimes fairly close to where they
live. There are variations.
Older offenders will
travel farther than young offenders,
We don’t want to travel farther
than we have to, to accomplish our goals.
Psychologists call this the “least effort” principle;
geographic profilers call it the “nearness” principle.
read more-

Thats pretty much what Ive been doing as there are no other solid leads.

Also, just learned the cameras on the sterling life insurance building at 700 st. Landry cant quite see the street. So no help there. But the good news is they are having new cameras installed for that very purpose

Well i have been looking thru her fb friends photos to see if any of them have pics of this white truck!
they may not have one but has a friend that has one.

Guys usually post pic of their truck! Or vehicle!

Most people here seem to think she was taken by someone she knows. Perhaps she recognized the vehicle and pulled over? Maybe she was offered a ride by this person and she decided to take it since she was so tired...and felt safe around this individual.

I suppose my thoughts veer toward the possibility that she didn't know the perp...and that she realized she was being followed. Would she have pulled over to let the truck pass her? Just thinking aloud....

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if she ran a red light at that time of night. Without much traffic around, I probably would have done the same.

I am not convinced she was taken by someone she knows. I'm open to the possibility but I'm not convinced.

The 30 mile distance and history of the location of the bicycle dump has me concerned. LE reported that the bike was dumped in the early morning hours of 05/19/2012. Imo, this would rule out a bicycle thief, since the news of MS missing wasn't in the media as of yet.
I feel that once at Whiskey Bay, the abductor/s would not venture back out on the roads at that time of night and chance being caught with an abducted victim. IMO, their safe haven would have been somewhere within this vicinity.

Older offenders will
read more-

LE reported that they THINK it was dumped then but they were waiting on forensics for a better idea.

If it was a bump & grab, the perp had to have known where the cameras are or just be insanely lucky. Who services these cameras? Who at LGC handles the surveillance/security aspect? They're bound to know exactly where the next camera on the street is, dontcha think?

LE reported that they THINK it was dumped then but they were waiting on forensics for a better idea.

I'm starting to wonder what kind of forensics they're doing that's taking this long.

I believe Chief Craft also confirmed on Nancy Grace that BW had taken a polygraph and had no problems with it.

Does anyone have a link regarding BW passing the poly? I haven't seen anything yet about that or about him officially being ruled out. I'd like to fully rule him out in my mind, but I still have some things I haven't been able to move past and was waiting to see something "official" regarding that.

I know a lot of you have already ruled him out and disagree with the idea that he was involved in anyway. However, best friend or not, he is a part of this case. I think it's normal for some of us to question some things, as you always need to start with the inner circle and also the last person she was "seen" with. I am not saying that he did anything and based on what we know it's probably not very likely that he is involved, but I still have some things that bother me about him and want to move past it. So, any links would be greatly appreciated!

Older offenders will
read more-

Good stuff. Thank you.

I'm starting to wonder what kind of forensics they're doing that's taking this long.

They might have the results and are keeping them private. Their silence over the past several days leads me to believe they've got something. Otherwise wouldn't they be seeking information from the public? Might be wishful thinking on my part.

And she was moving at a pretty good clip, wasn't she? Seems like she covered a lot of ground.

She did speak to a friend at 1:30am before leaving BW's and the friend said the rest of the gang was at Mel's Diner (on Johnston) where Mickey had wanted to nosh earlier in the evening before she went with BW to the TB drive-thru. Since Mel's is open 24 hours and the friends would have likely been there for a time it's quite possible she would have headed in that direction home along Johnston and dropped by for a few minutes en route if she'd made it that far.

There are possibly other images of Mickey and the phantom WT out there that aren't being released because they are blurry or LE wishes to keep certain information from the public in the interest of solving the case. Early in the investigation LPD Chief Craft said there was a video of a bicyclist from inside a structure between 1:30am and 3:30am but that it couldn't be determined that it was Mickey. And Cpl. Mouton said that Mickey's last sighting was OFF St. Landry -- whether that could mean off or on in local parlance is a matter of debate. It's quite possible that she was on the security video from 215 and 224 St. Landry Street and that those captures are not being released.

It's seems we'll have to wait for another press conference and hope that some clues or evidence come from the processing of the bicycle.

I didn't know that about a cyclist seen inside a structure! I guess that's why they asked for video up until 3:30. What structure could a cyclist be inside besides the parking garage?

Driver looks - for lack of a better word - beefy. Stocky, bulky, what have you.

Mr. Noatak did a great job enhancing the picture! Thanks for mentioning the driver JurysOut! I was so sleepy when he posted the picture I hadn't even noticed how well you could even see the driver.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8007076&postcount=1194"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #20[/ame]

I didn't know that about a cyclist seen inside a structure! I guess that's why they asked for video up until 3:30. What structure could a cyclist be inside besides the parking garage?

IMO they mean the camera was inside the structure.

Mr. Noatak did a great job enhancing the picture! Thanks for mentioning the driver JurysOut! I was so sleepy when he posted the picture I hadn't even noticed how well you could even see the driver.

Could someone re-post the pic your talking about or give a link. I missed it somehow and would love to see it.

Thanks!

Does anyone have a link regarding BW passing the poly? I haven't seen anything yet about that or about him officially being ruled out. I'd like to fully rule him out in my mind, but I still have some things I haven't been able to move past and was waiting to see something "official" regarding that.

I know a lot of you have already ruled him out and disagree with the idea that he was involved in anyway. However, best friend or not, he is a part of this case. I think it's normal for some of us to question some things, as you always need to start with the inner circle and also the last person she was "seen" with. I am not saying that he did anything and based on what we know it's probably not very likely that he is involved, but I still have some things that bother me about him and want to move past it. So, any links would be greatly appreciated!

I have to agree with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member