FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I need to stay off these true crime websites. I'm becoming way too jaded. A year and a half ago, I would have automatically assumed that this was indeed an abduction. Now my first thought was "sure, you wait 3 hours (now we know it wasn't that long) to flag down a cop- we have another Casey/Misty case." Then I wondered if kids are thinking, "Boy, if I disappear for a few hours, I too can be as famous as (non) balloon boy!" Missing and murdered children are apparently a lucrative source of income for some-ie the A's cruise, RC's new truck, donations, licensing from the kids pictures, getting paid major bucks to be on talk shows, reality TV shows....I hope that Somer is asleep in a friends garage. What really worries me is that we've heard there was an attempted abduction recently. I am so glad that the community is out looking for her, and I hope to God this beautiful little girl is found soon, safe and alive.

They need to change the criteria for Amber Alerts. It's my understanding that you have to basically see the child being abducted, or know what vehicle they're in. I think that if any child is missing for more than a few hours after diligent searches, they should assume the worst and err on the side of caution. And for Pete's sake, don't take hours to post the child's picture!

What are the criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts?

Each state AMBER Alert plan has its own criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts. The PROTECT Act, passed in 2003, which established the role of AMBER Alert Coordinator within the Department of Justice (DOJ), calls for DOJ to issue minimum standards or guidelines for AMBER Alerts that states can adopt voluntarily. DOJ's guidance on criteria for issuing AMBER Alerts is:

* Law enforcement must confirm that an abduction has taken place
* The child is at risk of serious injury or death
* There is sufficient descriptive information of child, captor, or captor's vehicle to issue an alert
* The child must be 17 years old or younger
* It is recommended that immediate entry of AMBER Alert data be entered in FBI's National Crime Information Center. Text information describing the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the child should be entered, and the case flagged as Child Abduction.
http://www.amberalert.gov/faqs.htm#faq10

i hope this is allowed,,another encouraging comment from jaxnews...

""10 minutes ago
Me and my son just got back from searching also, this is so sad! i cant wait to get back out in the morning! please anyone who can come out please do!!!! there is still many people out there looking, I am so proud of our comminity!!!!!!! My 13 year old son was the first one to jump up and say mom we have to get out thereand help!"""

OK, I'll risk it.. from comments section of http://www.news4jax.com/news/21342995/detail.html
Hope I can quote this post.

audreymaryjane 15 minutes ago
Having had my daughter be attempted to be taken right out of my arms eleven years ago in a Walgreen's parking lot in Atlantic Beach, Jax FL. Luckily I was strong enough to get away with my daughter who at the time was only a few weeks old. After reporting it to the police I was made aware of the under cover investigation going on in Jacksonville for child trafficking through the ports. Anywhere there are ports will always have an increase danger for child trafficking, because Jacksonville does have a large port we are at higher risk.

Child trafficing is a reality that the public is still not ready to hear. I dismissed it over and over until someone I have known for ten years told me about being exposed to it 30 years ago. I never would have believed it until I heard about it from this man's mouth. I can only imagine it is worse now than it was then...and yet, the media ignores it. I think it is because they know we don't want to hear about it.

My gosh, there is enough evil in this world without having to hear more! But, we need to know more about it so everyone is educated enough to protect our children!!!

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21342995/detail.html

Someone has posted claiming to be neighbors with the kids that were walking with Somer. She said they split up at Gano/Debarry. The kids they know who were with her say they don't remember a fight. This person thinks that Somer's sister might not be telling the truth because she is afraid she will get in trouble.

Keep praying!!!

this is an even more disturbing comment from about 20min ago

How far is a 7 year old going to run? how long is she going to hide? If the father had her he would have notified the police by now I am sure! EVERYONE REMEMBER SHE IS 7!!!! The girl and boy across the street from me walked home from school with her, to gano/debarry then they go separte ways! She does not remember any fight with a friend! So is the sister placing blame on a friend?

So is the sister placing blame on a friend? Was the fight really with the sister and now this has happened and she doesnt want to get in trouble? Sorry but that is how kids think! There were already two different stories given the first one is that the kids were running home and Somer got left behind and then she never showed up at home

Then here comes some arguement with a friend and she hit her and took off? or was the arguement with the sister? As the friends already went the other way, I know this because they were at my house tonight! Even if the fight was with the sister, its not the sisters fault however she needs to tell exactly what happened. i know kids lie so they dont get in to trouble, i have two of them.

"""

From the National Center of Missing and Exploited Children:

Case Number: NCMC1133666
Circumstances: Somer was last seen walking near her school on the afternoon of October 19, 2009. She was last seen with her hair in a ponytail tied with a red bow, wearing a maroon sweatsuit with a pink stripe, and a black tee shirt. She was carrying a purple Hannah Montana backpack and lunchbox.
<snipped>

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...en_US&orgPrefix=NCMC&caseNum=1133666&seqNum=1

I heard one report that she is ten years old, but I do not know if that was verified, Suzi.

Thanks. I wonder if the different stories are coming from her or if it's bad media reporting? The different stories are bothering me. Even 10 year olds are capable of doing bad things.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21342995/detail.html

Someone has posted claiming to be neighbors with the kids that were walking with Somer. She said they split up at Gano/Debarry. The kids they know who were with her say they don't remember a fight. This person thinks that Somer's sister might not be telling the truth because she is afraid she will get in trouble.

Keep praying!!!

Kimster this is one of those many times when I wish you could summon your Intergalactic Friends and they could use their powers to find our missing little ones. :(

also, kimster, a comment from there trully touched me, so i wanted to send my condolences(sp)
so i clicked on her nic, and it took me to a 'pay to post/blog' site,,hhmm,,,guess i am so jaded from the anthony/cummings situations

i just think it is not looking good for this little girl, sigh

also, kimster, a comment from there trully touched me, so i wanted to send my condolences(sp)
so i clicked on her nic, and it took me to a 'pay to post/blog' site,,hhmm,,,guess i am so jaded from the anthony/cummings situations

i just think it is not looking good for this little girl, sigh
I think I know which poster you're talking about. I didn't click on her name, but her comment, if true, is beyond tragic. After reading further, however, I began to question her credibility. I only mention this because she is posting a lot and claims to have firsthand knowledge of certain facts. Guess I'm jaded, too.

Kimster this is one of those many times when I wish you could summon your Intergalactic Friends and they could use their powers to find our missing little ones. :(

Oh man, I've actually thought that before myself! There are some evils in this world that can only be overcome by GOD! So I'm :praying:

I think I know which poster you're talking about. I didn't click on her name, but her comment, if true, is beyond tragic. After reading more of her further, however, I began to question her credibility. I only mention this because she is posting a lot and claims to have firsthand knowledge of certain facts. Guess I'm jaded, too.

That is why we need to make sure we just take random blogger comments as hearsay and not facts. Sometimes these early comments are spot on, however. I read an early blog comment when Caylee's remains were found and the guy said his friend Roy Kronk found her. I mentioned this one time on an old Caylee rumor thread and everyone ignored me. LOL It was funny when weeks later his name came out and the blogger was right!

Oh man, I've actually thought that before myself! There are some evils in this world that can only be overcome by GOD! So I'm :praying:

That's like the" not wanting to know" about the child trafficking. It is so far out of our realm of thinking and being to even imagine the pure evil of such a thing our minds do not want to comprehend or believe it. It is real and I just wonder when I look at the missing children reports how many angels are in Heaven because of it! I could never do what our FBI and others do to break these rings so I'll say a prayer for them too!
:frown:

"She was last seen at 2:45 p.m. walking home from school near West Gano Avenue and Debarry Avenue. She was with her brother and friends, but separated from them, running ahead towards her home."
http://wokv.com/localnews/2009/10/clay-county-authorities-search.html#more
Now the sister is a brother! That has to be the quickest "operation" ever. The pink skull backpack morphed into a Hanna Montana one. That is some horrible reporting. I hope that tomorrow, if they haven't found her, they at least get the facts straight. Good night, all, and hopefully, tomorrow Somer and Haleigh will be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member