***DENIED!*** Our First Case. Let's Keep PedophileDonald Scott Brunstetter in prison!

I sent emails to the Maryland and NC Parole Commissions. Hopefully, with efforts like these, we can turn things around so that short sentences for pedophiles will be a thing of the past.

LisaB, I just want to tell you how sorry I am to hear about your daughter's experience. It breaks my heart to hear how she has suffered and continues to suffer. Writing an email to the Parole Board is the least I can do. I pray that God will give you both the healing, peace, and comfort to get through this. Your daughter is blessed to have a crusader like you for a mom. <hugs>

all4justice

I REALLY appreciate you not only taking time to write a letter, but to let me know that they got it, and ARE going to consider these in making a decision.

When we first met Donnie, he misrepresented himself and his financial situation, withheld information about his criminal history, and neglected to mention a series of Motor Vehicle violations (DUI, driving on suspended license, etc.). Furthermore, he failed to disclose an 18-month stay in a mental health facility as a teenager after being expelled from two boarding schools, one of which positions itself as "offering remediation for boys not achieving their potential". None of this information was available to us at that time.

We are TERRIFIED of seeing him, and it isn't made any better by the fact that we have to go and do this in the prison, 3 hours from home. Prisons freak me out, but we have to do this. He has been in "protective custody" since arriving at the facility, so the stereotypical treatment of convicted child sex offenders by the other inmates (trying to be delicate) is not an issue here.

My daughter apparently was not aware of this until I mentioned it last night. She has been "gloating" for the last 4 years figuring that what goes around comes around. She was DEVASTATED upon learning the truth. Personally, I would not wish that on ANYONE, however I think 45 years incarceration would have been a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, that is no longer an option, but 15 years (11 to go) is.

I'd be interested in seeing what people have written, and would love it if you would either post your letters here, or PM me.

Here is the response I received:

Your letter has been made a part of Mr. Brunstetter’s parole file and will be taken into consideration when the parole decision is made. Melissa A. CoxMaryland Parole CommissionDeputy Operations AdministratorOffice of the Chairman410-585-3256

i too sent a letter to the parole board. i used the sample letter posted on the first page for those that aren't involved or live close but i added a few words of my own.

========

Although I am not personally involved in this case, I feel it is EVERYBODY's responsibility to protect our society's children from sexual predators. I am writing in the capacity of a concerned citizen who has recently become aware of the July 24th Parole Hearing for Donald S. Brunstetter, Inmate #352456, who was charged by the State of Maryland for the crimes of parental child abuse, second degree sexual assault, second degree and third degree sexual offenses, and unnatural or perverted practices, and convicted in July 2008, despite his "Not Guilty" pleas, and sentenced to a term of 45 years, the majority of which was suspended.

Since his conviction, he has acknowledged, in his own handwriting, that he did in fact commit the acts of which he was accused. His victim was an eight-year-old girl, who he molested regularly throughout his two-year marriage to her mother.

Those who abuse children can not be counted upon to control their impulses, which is why keeping them incarcerated is the only way to completely segregate them from potential victims, thereby eliminating the threat of future offenses, which are statistically likely to occur if an opportunity presents itself.

Victims of sexual abuse often experience severe emotional trauma upon seeing the offender, even in a public place where he poses no threat to them. Mr. Brunstetter's victim still resides in the area, and is terrified at the possibility that he may be released, fearing she will spend the rest of her life looking over her shoulder, never feeling really safe. As she is still in therapy, it would be in her best interests to keep her molestor behind bars while she continues to develop coping mechanisms and a support network. She has suffered from his actions for 12 years, and the end is nowhere in sight.

i know from personal experience as a mother of a daughter that was molested when she was 5 years old. she is 36 now and still has emotional problems due to the molestation. it took years for her to finally be able to develop a normal married life. the guy that molested her was only given 14 months in jail. he was out in about 7 months and a few years later ended up molesting another child. he is out of jail and leading a normal life where it took my daughter years of counselling to accomplish the same.

Please consider these facts when you review Mr. Brunstetter's case on July 24th, 2012, and DENY HIS REQUST FOR PAROLE.

If these letters don't make a difference, I will eat my hat. If the parole board can read them and not be moved nearly to the point of tears, they are obviously hardened by years of dealing with cases like this and have learned to distance themselves emotionally for their own mental health.

THANK YOU ALL!

LisaB there will be 3 emails coming from my house this weekend to keep this Monster behind bars where he belongs. You my friend and you daughter don't deserve to have to live in fear.

Letter sent!

Thoughts and prayers for you and your daughter, Lisa.

Sent an email on the Brunstetter case about 7:50pm and got 2 responses a little after 8pmE, from 2 different people showing it had been received. They are really on the ball there...

LisaB, kudos to you for continuing to fight for your daughter!

May her abuser not be released and may you both receive some peace of mind and spirit.

I just had a call from the parole commission answering some questions I had about the process. Before she hung up she said "I wanted to let you know that all the letters and emails we have received are in his file for review".

Thanks to ALL who have written. And if you have been meaning to do so, but haven't, it's not too late.

After SmoothOperator cited the information about the change in the law in October 2010 which required those convicted of a child sex offense to serve a mandatory minimum with no part suspended and no early parole, I called and learned it did not apply as his offenses occurred in 2000-2002 and he was convicted in July 2008.

I paid a visit to the Parole Commission website (http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/aboutdpscs/FAQmpc.shtml#parol)
where I discovered the following:

Q21. Does Parole continue to give hearings to Violent Offenders?

Since October 1, 1994 the eligibility for a violent offense is 50% of sentence. Pre-1994, the parole eligibility is 25%, the same eligibility for non-violent offenders.

Q2. Was the crime committed against me a "violent" crime?

The crimes the Parole Commission defines as "violent" include:

abduction
arson
assault first degree
burglary
carjacking
child abuse
rape
robbery
sexual offense first and second degrees
escape
housebreaking
kidnapping
maiming and mayhem
manslaughter (except involuntary manslaughter)
murder
use of a handgun
attempts to commit (and assaults with intent to commit) certain crimes

There are exceptions to this list, depending upon when the offense was committed.

Donnie was convicted of (among others) two counts of child abuse, and one charge of second degree sex offense. I just called the Office of Victim Services for clarification, as his crimes occurred well AFTER the 1994 date this ruling took effect, and am waiting for clarification now. I will be sure to keep you all posted, and HUGE THANKS to Smooth for bringing to my attention that there might be other factors that could be used to keep him in prison.

ETA: This doesn't apply to our case since the portions of the sentence that were suspended were for these charges. The ones he is actually serving time for are not considered "violent crimes" under this statute.

We were negatively impacted by some of Lauren's personal correspondence via mySpace, as the attorney's subpoeanaed same. These were messages written in her early teens, NOT at the time the crime was committed, therefore the introduction of the material contained therein seemed irrelevent to us. They twisted what she had on the site to suggest she was a "delinquent". She was banned (by me) from facebook when I saw her page, 3 years BEFORE his trial, and she had not been on since, even to delete anything that could pose a problem for the prosecution. Her last status update was "Let's Do The Time Warp Again". a reference to a song/dance from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. His attorneys insisted she was delusionsal, and probably using psychedelic drugs, leading her to believe she had the power to influence time and space. This was just ONE of the many ridiculous things they tried. If I ever am charged with a crime, I want those slimy lawyers in my corner.

We were also disappointed to learn that, despite her having told several "Mandatory Reporters" (her psychiatrist, her school nurse, her school guidance counselor, the principal, the vice principal, and two teachers) I was the only person to report what had happened. Obviously this weakened our position, as it appeared we "lied" about her having told these people. Since they WERE Mandatory Reporters, it was posited that, if there was no report from them, she must not have told them.

They were probably refering to the collective myspace messages and context, not specifically to the status update. That would be a reasonable argument for a defence lawyer to take when questioning the credibility of a witness since it reflected her state of mind during that period. After all, you say that you yourself were disturbed enough by them to ban her from using the service. You can't focus on an isolated statement as outrageous since that doesn't reflect what the lawyers were trying to show.

If seven mandatory reporters were supposedly told independently, then you would have to assume that all seven people separately chose to put their careers on the line. That would create a reasonable credibilty issue on that claim since the chances of everyone not doing their job is not that great. What did those seven have to say? Did they all deny it? I am guessing they did or it would not have brought up to impeach her credibility.

A word of advice, don't phrase things as "your position" or stuff like that, since it creates the impression of an adverserial conflict that you are trying to win, rather than addressing a crime. Whatever happened to you daughter happened, and its done. The winning and losing is the domain of the lawyers after that and it is not going to change the past. Facts and evidence are what they are, a victim does not have a position they need to take or defend. At this point he has been convicted and is in prison. If he gets out on parole or not is not really going to be affected by whatever you do or say. The parole board deals with this sort of stuff all the time, it is their job, they are going to go primarily with with the evidence (or lack thereof) for rehabilitation they have at their disposal. The best advice I can give you is to go on with your life, put it behind you and not get too involve in it all. You can send in your impact statement but beyond that the process is going to go pretty much as it is going to go, whatever letters and whatnot that people send in is not going to change the outcome, it is not an election.

Btw, in an earlier message you mentioned a confession after the trial ended. I would not take that too seriously since he would have been preparing for eventual parole. If someone wants parole they usually have to show the board that they have been rehabilitated, and part of that involves admission of what they did and acknowledgement of how wrong it was. If he continued to claim that he was innocent he would probably not get parole. Once someone is convicted, if they actually are innocent they have to make a deal with the devil and confess anyway if they hope to get out before serving their full sentence. Real confessions come before the trial, not afterwards.

Bleh....my dinner was burning while typing this out...trying something new too!

Donnie was convicted of (among others) two counts of child abuse, and one charge of second degree sex offense. I just called the Office of Victim Services for clarification, as his crimes occurred well AFTER the 1994 date this ruling took effect, and am waiting for clarification now. I will be sure to keep you all posted, and HUGE THANKS to Smooth for bringing to my attention that there might be other factors that could be used to keep him in prison.

ETA: This doesn't apply to our case since the portions of the sentence that were suspended were for these charges. The ones he is actually serving time for are not considered "violent crimes" under this statute.

I am curious, surely those would be the more serious of the convictions? Did the judge give any reasons why those were suspended but not the sentence for other crimes?

What are the crimes he is actually in prison for?

If the sex related crimes resulted in suspended sentences, I would guess that the chances of civil commitment are about zero. Civil commitment is applied to unrepentant sexual offenders who have a high probability to reoffend.

What some people don't realize about these kinds of cases (child predator), that child and every person that they interact with is affected by the actions of that pervert. In some cases, the victim becomes withdrawn, and has issues relating to other people, trusting other people. Then there is the opposite reaction. In way too many cases the victim sees themself as unworthy or tainted and they become promiscuous. They don't feel worthy of a decent relationship. In some respects, those associated with the victim of the predator becomes a victim also, through their relationship with the victim.

They were probably refering to the collective myspace messages and context, not specifically to the status update. That would be a reasonable argument for a defence lawyer to take when questioning the credibility of a witness since it reflected her state of mind during that period. After all, you say that you yourself were disturbed enough by them to ban her from using the service. You can't focus on an isolated statement as outrageous since that doesn't reflect what the lawyers were trying to show.

If seven mandatory reporters were supposedly told independently, then you would have to assume that all seven people separately chose to put their careers on the line. That would create a reasonable credibilty issue on that claim since the chances of everyone not doing their job is not that great. What did those seven have to say? Did they all deny it? I am guessing they did or it would not have brought up to impeach her credibility.

A word of advice, don't phrase things as "your position" or stuff like that, since it creates the impression of an adverserial conflict that you are trying to win, rather than addressing a crime. Whatever happened to you daughter happened, and its done. The winning and losing is the domain of the lawyers after that and it is not going to change the past. Facts and evidence are what they are, a victim does not have a position they need to take or defend. At this point he has been convicted and is in prison. If he gets out on parole or not is not really going to be affected by whatever you do or say. The parole board deals with this sort of stuff all the time, it is their job, they are going to go primarily with with the evidence (or lack thereof) for rehabilitation they have at their disposal. The best advice I can give you is to go on with your life, put it behind you and not get too involve in it all. You can send in your impact statement but beyond that the process is going to go pretty much as it is going to go, whatever letters and whatnot that people send in is not going to change the outcome, it is not an election.

Btw, in an earlier message you mentioned a confession after the trial ended. I would not take that too seriously since he would have been preparing for eventual parole. If someone wants parole they usually have to show the board that they have been rehabilitated, and part of that involves admission of what they did and acknowledgement of how wrong it was. If he continued to claim that he was innocent he would probably not get parole. Once someone is convicted, if they actually are innocent they have to make a deal with the devil and confess anyway if they hope to get out before serving their full sentence. Real confessions come before the trial, not afterwards.

Bleh....my dinner was burning while typing this out...trying something new too!

OUCH.

The problems I had with her myspace were that she had posed in bikini for photos (not on a beach, in her room) which I found inappropriate as she was 13, and that there was an album of photos of her cutting herself with a razor blade. If you wish, I can send those (cutting) photos to you. I still don't think the bikini pictures are appropriate, and therefore will not provide those to the general public. In addition, some of the things OTHERS posted to her myspace page were age-inappropriate. She stated she could not control what her friends said, so I made her move her computer out of her room, remove the offensive content, and changed her myspace password to one she did not know to keep her from using it. I left the "Time Warp" comment since I was aware of its source.

The attorneys asked her about the song quote... and asked if she had typed that status update. She said she had and he then SPECIFICALLY referenced that quote as indicative of her being deluded enough to believe she controlled time and space. They did not ask her to explain, and she had been told to answer "yes" or "no" whenever possible (by the State's Attorney). I have a full recording of the trial, and you can order one from the court if you still doubt me. It is in a format that requires you to install the included player to listen, or I'd provide the relevant clip for you.

The mandatory reporter she told first was her psychiatrist. I filed a complaint with the medical board, and their action was to "remind him" of his obligation to report. The letters from them are among the links above. The school personnel asked her if she had reported the abuse and she told them she had. The guidance counselor, nurse, and one teacher told ME, and again, asked if it had been reported. The school board policy is that the school staff NOT attempt to investigate the charges but to report. I told each of them that I had made a report, but asked that they do the same. They opted not to, as they knew it had already been reported. Had they followed protocol, they would have called CPS or the police to report it, as opposed to discussing it with me.

He is NOT innocent. While I find his reasons for writing the letter to be self serving, he DID admit it, and the letter is linked above. I feel it was to put him in a better position for parole, but ALSO was part of the "12 step" NA program he participated in, and he pretty much had to do it to be considered cooperative and compliant with that program, also geared toward parole.

Unfortunately, putting this behind us is harder than it sounds. I don't think you really understand. Your comments are hurtful, and really not what I had hoped to wake up to this morning. Thanks for that.

When I spoke with the woman from the parole commission, she told me i ABSOLUTELY makes a difference whether we attend the parole hearing. She also indicated that the letter-writing campaign will work strongly in our favor. Unless you think she was blowing sunshine up my skirt, I believe she knows what she is talking about.

I am curious, surely those would be the more serious of the convictions? Did the judge give any reasons why those were suspended but not the sentence for other crimes?

What are the crimes he is actually in prison for?

If the sex related crimes resulted in suspended sentences, I would guess that the chances of civil commitment are about zero. Civil commitment is applied to unrepentant sexual offenders who have a high probability to reoffend.

Again, refer to the links in the first post... if you go to the Maryland Judiciary Case Search and enter his name, you can see all of his records back to the late 80s or early 90s. This was not information that was publicly available when we met him.

Since you don't seem to have looked at any of the documents provided for you, I will look it up now and post the specific charges, disposition, and sentence for which he is currently imprisoned:

Charge No: 1
CJIS Code:1 3802
Statute Code:27.35C.(b).(1)
Charge Description: Child Abuse: Parent
Offense Date From: 05/01/2000 To:
Arrest Tracking No: 07-1001-67970-0
Sentence Version:0
Charge Class:F
Disposition
Plea: Not Guilty
Plea Date:07/01/2008
Disposition: Guilty
Disposition Date:07/08/2008
Jail Term: Yrs:15 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Suspended Term: Yrs:10 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
UnSuspended Term: Yrs:5 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Jail Text: 15 YRS - DOC, SUSPEND ALL BUT 5 YRS, CREDIT FOR 45 DAYS. REGISTER AS CHILD SEX OFFENDER. COURT COSTS $145. P&P FEE
----------------------------------------------------
Charge No: 6
CJIS Code:1 3802
Statute Code:27.35C.(b).(1)
Charge Description: Child Abuse: Parent
Offense Date From: 05/01/2000 To:
Disposition
Jail Text: 15 YRS - DOC, SUSPEND ALL BUT 5 YRS, CONSECUTIVE TO CT #1.
Charge No: 7
CJIS Code:2 3600
Statute Code:27.464A
Charge Description: Sex Offense Second Degree
Offense Date From: 05/01/2000To:
Disposition
Jail Text: 15 YRS - DOC, SUSPEND ALL BUT 5 YRS, CONSECUTIVE TO CT #6.
Charge No: 8
CJIS Code:3 3600
Statute Code:27.464B
Charge Description: Sex Offense Third Degree
Disposition
Jail Term: Yrs:5 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Suspended Term: Yrs:0 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Jail Text: 5 YRS - DOC, CONCURRENT TO CT #1.
Charge No: 9
CJIS Code:6 3600
Statute Code:27.554
Charge Description: Unnatural Or Perverted Practice
Charge Class:M
Disposition
Merged Text: MERGED INTO COUNT #7
Charge No: 10
CJIS Code:1 1415
Statute Code:27.12A
Charge Description: Assault-Second Degree
Charge Class:M
Disposition
Merged Text: MERGED INTO COUNT #7
Sentencing Net Totals
Serve Time: Yrs:15 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Probation : Yrs:5 Mos:0 Days:0 Hours:0
Credit Time Served:45

Two years after his conviction, Maryland passed a mandatory 15 year minimum with no portion to be suspended and no early parole. While this does not technically apply to him, the parole commission certainly knows the state has taken a tougher stance on these offenders. While they can not retroactively "sentence him" to this term, they can effectively do the same thing by not granting parole until he has served 15 years, as sentenced.

Here's another sample letter. This is one that could be used by those who are not directly involved in the case, and may even live in another part of the country (or world) and have never met me, my daughter Lauren, or Mr. Brunstetter. Feel free to use any or all of it in writing your own letter.

I did not even read the thread, but sent an e-mail immediately.
LISA B. Bless your heart and may your daughter heal quickly.
I am all shook up and will resume soon.
I do not deal well with children getting hurt.

It is a child that got me to WS in the first place.
I think WS is awesome, and I hope we can all make a difference for your daughter.

Richard,
I got a letter in the mail yesterday from the parole commission, regarding Coffey. They wanted to let me know that my letter had been received and placed in his file.

FURTHER CLARIFICATION:
There was, in 1994, a law passed in Maryland requiring persons convicted of "violent crimes" to serve 50% of their sentence before being eligible for parole.

Lauren was molested from 2000 to 2002.

We reported it in 2007, and the trial was held in 2008

In 2007, Child Molestation was reclassified as a "violent crime."

Although he was not tried until 2008, he had to be tried under the statutes in place in 2000-2002, when the crime took place, instead of the laws in place at the time of his trial.

Therefore, since Child Molestation was NOT categorized as a "violent offense" at the time the acts were committed, the judge could not use the 2007 reclassification in considering Mr. Brunstetter's sentencing.

A law passed in 2010 required Child Sex Offenders to serve a mandatory minimum of 15 years, with no part suspended and no possibility of early release. This does not apply to us at all, as it occurred after he had been tried, sentenced and incarcerated.

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr is a convicted pedophile and child murderer. He is currently residing in Pender Prison, Burgaw, NC. He has admitted to molesting over 100 children and is suspected in the deaths of several children.

Coffey was convicted of murdering 10-year-old Amanda Ray and sentenced twice to death. At his third trial, much evidence was supressed and he got a life sentence. He has been elegible for parole since 1995 and is once again up for parole this month. A hearing is set for 21 July 2012.

See below links for more information about Coffey.

Write to:
Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us

LINKS:

http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

Neely Smith, age 5, murdered 1981, NC - Suspect: Fred Howard Coffey Jr. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

North Carolina Department Of Public Safety
Offender Public Information

Offender Information

FRED H COFFEY
Offender Number: 0081135
Inmate Status: ACTIVE
Race: WHITE
Ethnic Group: EUROPEAN/N.AM./AUSTR
Current Location: PENDER CI

Printable Version

Name(s) Of Record

Last Name
Suffix
First Name
Middle Name
Name Type
COFFEY JR FRED HOWARD COMMITTED
COFFEY CHICK ALIAS
COFFEY JR. FRED HOWARD ALIAS
COFFEY HOWARD ALIAS
DAVIS BOBBY ALIAS

Most Recent Incarceration Summary

Incarceration Status: ACTIVE Total Incarceration Term: LIFE
Conviction Date: 01/21/1987 Projected Release Date: LIFE
Primary Crime: MURDER FIRST DEGREE (PRINCIPAL) Primary Crime Type: FELON
Special Characteristics: LIFE Current Status: FELON
Admission Date: 02/02/1987 Admitting Location: CENTRAL PRISON
Control Status: REGULAR POPULATION Next Control Review: UNKNOWN
Custody Classification: MEDIUM Next Custody Review: 11/01/2012
Number Of Infractions: 0 Last Infraction Date: N/A
Current Location: PENDER CI Previous Location: NOT PUBLIC INFORMATION
Last Movement : NOT PUBLIC INFORMATION Last Movement Date: 10/27/2005

Escapes?: N

Offender Sentence History

Most Recent Period of Incarceration Record

Sentence Number: BA-001 Commitment Type: INMATE
Conviction Date: 01/21/1987 County Of Conviction: CALDWELL
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 01/21/1987
Actual Release Date: 04/22/1991
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 04/22/1991
Sentence Type 1: DEPT OF CORR DIV OF PRISONS
Minimum Term: Maximum Term: 10 YEARS

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

INITIAL 86008560 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 02/21/1984 FELON CLASS H
CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT 86008563 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 08/24/1984 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-002 Commitment Type: INMATE
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 04/22/1991
Actual Release Date: 03/10/1996
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 03/10/1996

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-001 86008561 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 02/02/1986 FELON CLASS H
CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT 86008562 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 02/24/1985 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-003 Commitment Type: INMATE
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 03/10/1996
Actual Release Date: 05/12/2000
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 05/12/2000

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-002 86008567 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 08/21/1985 FELON CLASS H
CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT 86008564 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 06/01/1985 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-004 Commitment Type: INMATE
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 05/12/2000
Actual Release Date: 06/17/2004
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 06/17/2004

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-003 86008566 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 01/13/1985 FELON CLASS H
CONSOLIDATED FOR JUDGMENT 86008568 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 03/01/1986 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-005 Commitment Type: INMATE
Service Status: EXPIRED Sentence Begin Date: 06/17/2004
Actual Release Date: 10/27/2007
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: 10/27/2007

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-004 86008569 INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL) 06/01/1983 FELON CLASS H

Sentence Number: BA-006 Commitment Type: INMATE
Conviction Date: 10/20/1987 County Of Conviction: MECKLENBURG
Service Status: EAR.TERM Sentence Begin Date: 10/20/1987
Sentence Status: VACATED Actual Release Date: 09/14/1989
Punishment Type: PRE-FAIR Projected Release Date: DEATH
Sentence Type 2: DEATH ROW
Minimum Term: DEATH Maximum Term: DEATH

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONCURRENT TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-001 87004610 MURDER FIRST DEGREE (PRINCIPAL) 07/18/1979 FELON FELONS (PREFAIR)

Sentence Number: BA-007 Commitment Type: INMATE
Conviction Date: 05/22/1991 County Of Conviction: MECKLENBURG
Service Status: EAR.TERM Sentence Begin Date: 05/22/1991
Sentence Status: VACATED Actual Release Date: 06/17/1994
Punishment Type: FAIR FELONS Projected Release Date: DEATH
Sentence Type 2: DEATH ROW
Minimum Term: DEATH Maximum Term: DEATH

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONCURRENT TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-001 87004610 MURDER FIRST DEGREE (PRINCIPAL) 07/18/1979 FELON CLASS A

Sentence Number: BA-008 Commitment Type: INMATE
Conviction Date: 08/31/1995 County Of Conviction: MECKLENBURG
Service Status: ACTIVE Sentence Begin Date: 10/27/2007
Sentence Status: CORRECT Actual Release Date:
Punishment Type: PRE-FAIR Projected Release Date: LIFE
Sentence Type 2: LIFE SENTENCE
Minimum Term: Maximum Term: LIFE

Commitment
Docket#
Offense (Qualifier)
Offense Date
Type
Sentencing
Penalty
Class Code

CONSECUTIV TO SENTENCE NUMBER BA-005 87004610 MURDER FIRST DEGREE (PRINCIPAL) 07/18/1979 FELON FELONS (PREFAIR)

I have come upon this thread a bit to late to send snail mail and be assured it gets there in time so I will send e-mail.

Kaybug,

Thank you for the extensive posting about Coffey and his convictions.

It may be of interest that although Coffey is in the North Carolina prison system and facing a Parole Hearing next week there, he is also known and suspected of having committed crimes against children in a number of other states.

One of those states is Maryland (coincidentally, Brunstetter's home state). Coffey lived in Maryland from some time after September 1974 to the end of July 1975. His name has been mentioned in connection with the disappearance of Sheila and Kate Lyon (ages 12 and 10) and in connection with the abduction and murder of Kathy Lynn Beatty. You can read about those cases here on websleuths.

Coffey is known to have committed crimes against Children in Virginia, too. His home town of Bristol saw the disappearance of a little 8-year-old boy named Travis Shane King in 1986. His body was found later in Tennessee. Coffey was the last person to be seen with him.

Coffey also lived in Virginia Beach, VA. While there in 1974, he abducted and raped a 13 year old girl (the daughter of a fellow Navy man). In October 1975, he was arrested with a 15 year old girl in his vehicle. The eventual charge was "Contributing the the Delinquency of a Minor".

On the up side, since going to prison in 1986, Coffey has not had a single infraction or disciplinary problem. And he has not molested or killed a single child.

I guess it boils down to having to ask yourself what residence suits him best: prison or the house next door.

Please take the time to voice your opinion to the parole board.

Write to:
Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us

OUCH.

The problems I had with her myspace were that she had posed in bikini for photos (not on a beach, in her room) which I found inappropriate as she was 13, and that there was an album of photos of her cutting herself with a razor blade. If you wish, I can send those (cutting) photos to you. I still don't think the bikini pictures are appropriate, and therefore will not provide those to the general public. In addition, some of the things OTHERS posted to her myspace page were age-inappropriate. She stated she could not control what her friends said, so I made her move her computer out of her room, remove the offensive content, and changed her myspace password to one she did not know to keep her from using it. I left the "Time Warp" comment since I was aware of its source.

The attorneys asked her about the song quote... and asked if she had typed that status update. She said she had and he then SPECIFICALLY referenced that quote as indicative of her being deluded enough to believe she controlled time and space. They did not ask her to explain, and she had been told to answer "yes" or "no" whenever possible (by the State's Attorney). I have a full recording of the trial, and you can order one from the court if you still doubt me. It is in a format that requires you to install the included player to listen, or I'd provide the relevant clip for you.

The mandatory reporter she told first was her psychiatrist. I filed a complaint with the medical board, and their action was to "remind him" of his obligation to report. The letters from them are among the links above. The school personnel asked her if she had reported the abuse and she told them she had. The guidance counselor, nurse, and one teacher told ME, and again, asked if it had been reported. The school board policy is that the school staff NOT attempt to investigate the charges but to report. I told each of them that I had made a report, but asked that they do the same. They opted not to, as they knew it had already been reported. Had they followed protocol, they would have called CPS or the police to report it, as opposed to discussing it with me.

He is NOT innocent. While I find his reasons for writing the letter to be self serving, he DID admit it, and the letter is linked above. I feel it was to put him in a better position for parole, but ALSO was part of the "12 step" NA program he participated in, and he pretty much had to do it to be considered cooperative and compliant with that program, also geared toward parole.

Unfortunately, putting this behind us is harder than it sounds. I don't think you really understand. Your comments are hurtful, and really not what I had hoped to wake up to this morning. Thanks for that.

When I spoke with the woman from the parole commission, she told me i ABSOLUTELY makes a difference whether we attend the parole hearing. She also indicated that the letter-writing campaign will work strongly in our favor. Unless you think she was blowing sunshine up my skirt, I believe she knows what she is talking about.

I'm just trying to figure out what the situation was, no need to get so defensive :)

Based on what you described of the case, it sounds like a she said/he said situation that happened years before the allegations, and in those cases generally all of the evidence is about credibility. So that is what both the defence and DA are going to focus on. With no physical evidence a jury will usually side with the prosecution if the case goes to trial unless the credibility of the accuser is very weak. Because there is no evidence, guilty or innocent, the only way to defend in those trials is to probe credibility and character, that is why those sorts of questions are asked. The DA should have explained this to you during the trial preparation.

The question about the myspace thing presumably would have been answered as "no" in that case. Possibly the attorney doesnt know anything about the Rocky Horror Show. It seems a wierd question to have asked otherwise. Probably at least some of the jurors would know about the movie, so unless it was tied to other stuff on the page then the question would have no effect. If there was nothing else too controversial on the page then such a question would probably have hurt the defence much more than helped it.

It is still not clear to me why you would think the attorney was accusing your daughter of lieing about telling the mandatory reporters. If she did tell them then they would have said so, so it would have been easy enough to clear up on rebuttal. You say the teachers told you, and I presume that is when the abuse was reported. So they did do something about it, possibly not the proper route, but they did act. Did they subsequently deny it? I am guessing the psychiatrist did deny it, if the board responded telling you to remind him/her, and he/she still didn't.

Like I said, real confessions come before a trial, not after. The confession he made was very likely for the benefit of parole. I bet once he gets out he will go back to denying it again.

Parole boards encourage victims to participate, that is the PC thing these days, so they are not going to tell you that participation is pointless. And it is not pointless, it is part of the information package they consider, as long as the submisions are rational and add some value. But the decision to release or not is still going to be based primarily on whatever metrics they use and what they believe the likelyhood of reoffence is (that might be different if parole boards are elected where you live, if that is so then you might be able to apply political pressure to achieve your goals). While you have your own view of your ex, it doesnt sound like he is going to be considered a high risk inmate, based on what you have described. If your submissions are completely at odds with everything else they have, they will probably give less weight to them. That said, he will probably have to take a few shots at applying for parole before he gets it. The main reason being that the penalty for his crimes has changed and they may use the backdoor approach to lengthen his effective sentence beyond what he could normally expect.

I'm not interested in seeing pictures of your daughter cutting herself, that is not relevant. People have lots of reasons why they do that, but usually it is because of things going on currently in their life, not stuff that happened in the past, allthough they might cite that as the reason. I had a sister who eventually killed herself after about a year and a half of constant attempts, and she too cited abuse early in life. But, I was there also and experienced the same thing, so I know for a fact how minor it really was (basically a bunch of kids playing doctor, one of whome was a few years older than the rest of us). The real reason for committing suicide was stuff happening in the last few years of her life, the "abuse" was used to rationalize what was going on and had been blown massively out of proportion by her friends trying to figure out what was wrong with her. In doing so they set her on a path of spiralling self destructive behaviour that no one could stop (my sister was kind of stubborn once she set her mind to something, she was also eventually diagnosed as bipolar, which didn't help). I am telling you this because you should not think that your daughters issues are over. You need to be very carefull about what you do at this point. This is not something that YOU have to put behind you, it is something SHE has to put behind her. Your only role is to help and support her in doing that, you should never forget that, it is not about you or your ex. If she started acting out years after the abuse happened, then there are other things going on, and you need to be aware of that. You need to focus on the present and future, not on the past, because if you don't you run the risk of amplifying the past over and over until something breaks. Trust me, that is not a place any loved one wants to go.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back