The Doe Network, Part 3: Who is Princess Blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all!
(We need a cup of steaming coffee icon!)

Just to be clear, (Lion's post), the newest forensic anthropological work-up on PB was completed in March, 2007, not last Sept.
I believe I read that they re-opened the case in Sept. (Perhaps that's from where you pulled that date, Lion?) Which is why I was saying WAAAYY back somewhere that it is amazing to me sometimes all the coincidences in WS' interest in this case happening at the same time as the new for. anth. report, at the same time as the drawings coming out, at the same time as the public latching on to this, etc. This case was DEF. meant to be looked at. Makes you wonder what the deep story really is...? I truly hope we can find out one day!

Usually a skeleton's ancestral background is not determined by DNA, but rather by what the bones "have to say." Shapes, teeth structure, suture lines, measurements, as well as the "spaces" in the bones - the nasal aperture, eye orbits, foramen magnum, etc. The skull is THE place from which to determine ancestral background firstly, and secondly, the sex. Of course the pelvic bones are number one for determining sex, followed by the skull, then perhaps leg bones.

Thanks, rich, for starting another thread abut this story. We haven't seen you around here much...hope things are okay? Have you taken your big exam yet? Yikes!

More later when I have more time. Have a wonderful day sleuthers!:blowkiss:

Sloane, do you have any idea approximately how many of the 1975 REL (Houston) Class Alumni were originally contacted/located by LE? Just a ballpark figure? One of the articles stated that LE were able to locate "a member" of the class alumni (I'm guessing they really meant "a number") and that also turned out to be a dead end.

Good Morning all!
(We need a cup of steaming coffee icon!)

Just to be clear, (Lion's post), the newest forensic anthropological work-up on PB was completed in March, 2007, not last Sept.
I believe I read that they re-opened the case in Sept. (Perhaps that's from where you pulled that date, Lion?) Which is why I was saying WAAAYY back somewhere that it is amazing to me sometimes all the coincidences in WS' interest in this case happening at the same time as the new for. anth. report, at the same time as the drawings coming out, at the same time as the public latching on to this, etc. This case was DEF. meant to be looked at. Makes you wonder what the deep story really is...? I truly hope we can find out one day!

Usually a skeleton's ancestral background is not determined by DNA, but rather by what the bones "have to say." Shapes, teeth structure, suture lines, measurements, as well as the "spaces" in the bones - the nasal aperture, eye orbits, foramen magnum, etc. The skull is THE place from which to determine ancestral background firstly, and secondly, the sex. Of course the pelvic bones are number one for determining sex, followed by the skull, then perhaps leg bones.

Thanks, rich, for starting another thread abut this story. We haven't seen you around here much...hope things are okay? Have you taken your big exam yet? Yikes!

More later when I have more time. Have a wonderful day sleuthers!:blowkiss:

Sloane, thank you for correcting my error on when the recent forensic work up was done. I confused the date with when that article came out last year, perhaps when the case was reopened as well. Oops. I always welcome corrections, though. It is import ant for me to get my facts right and not to inadvertently repeat incorrect info.

I understand that race/ancestry is usually determined by forensic examination to include the factors you describe. Actually, doing it that way rather than relying on DNA would give a more accurate picture of what the person may have looked like in life. And, that is the bottom line.

Sloane, do you know the general condition of Princess' teeth? I know I asked this before, but with all of the posts perhaps it was overlooked. I know you have been busy, too, so I am asking again in the hopes that you can answer when you have more time. Did she have a lot of cavities? Crowding? Over shot jaw? Missing or chipped teeth? This may be helpful in some cases to make a possible match.

Have a wonderful rest of the week, and thank you for being here for us.

Lion

Hi friends:). I just received an email from Sgt. Coffman regarding a possible match, Kimberley Shawn Cheatham. He said that although, he won't eliminate anyone until someone with a more scientific background tells him to, he does not think she is a match. He said that her height and other characteristics don't match. I know that her height is listed as 4'6", and I explained that we don't know if this is an error or not.

However, I also had sent in info on Michelle Doherty just 4 days before that. He did not mention her in his reply, today. I do not know if that means anything like he is checking further or that he sooooo doesn't think she is a match that he didn't even mention her. I have no idea.

Lion

At least he is keepng in touch and letting us know updates. I still wish we could get a list of everyone that has been checked and ruled out.

At least he is keepng in touch and letting us know updates. I still wish we could get a list of everyone that has been checked and ruled out.

Yes, teons, I wish that were the case, too. And, like RKnowly asked, who from the 75 grad class was successfully contacted. I have a feeling that very few students were contacted. We will just keep working, for this is a project, and a group of us truly care and are dedicated.

Lion

Good Morning to all!:) :)

I was catching up on some of the past posts, and I wanted to address #486 and #487 in the P.Blue Part II thread. It won't let me quote it in this Part III, but RKnowley and Lion were asking about facial reproductions done with a smile, showing teeth. It depends on the skill and thoroughness of the forensic artist, of course, as there really is no standard in this field as far as procedure goes; usually if you see a facial reconstruction done with the teeth showing, (the sculpture is smiling), or facial reproduction drawn with a smile, it is because the UID's teeth were present and in good condition. Many times, as Lion has stated, some or almost all of the teeth have fallen out in the field, and been lost. Some investigators are instructed to sift and use metal detectors at the scene of discovery, to "catch" teeth that may have become a bit buried, or may blend in w/ pebbles, soil, etc. But They can only go so far. How do you know when to stop? How deep do you dig? How far out of a radius do you search? At some point they must call off the excavation. Granted, there are def. more thorough investigations than others. I certainly don't know how much effort was put into retrieving every last tooth and phalange of P.Blue, but I was thinking that maybe all her front teeth were not in condition to show in the drawing, so the artist created P. Blue's face with a closed-mouth...??

Sloane, do you have any idea approximately how many of the 1975 REL (Houston) Class Alumni were originally contacted/located by LE? Just a ballpark figure? One of the articles stated that LE were able to locate "a member" of the class alumni (I'm guessing they really meant "a number") and that also turned out to be a dead end.
Hi there!
No, I'm sorry...I don't think I can help you guys much on this one. :(
I don't know what their attempts have been to contact alums. I can say with fair certainty it has not been ANYTHING on the level of what you guys are doing: making lists of the Yb ppl., getting updated contact info. on each of them, looking up marriages/divorces, etc. I simply cannot see how they would have the time to spend on it THAT thoroughly. Just look at how much time it has taken all of you, and how many of you are there, that have divided up the duties??:clap: You are to be commended...again!!

What about "icepickPhil"?? Are you still reading, Phil? Can you enlighten us as to how it was you were contacted by LE? Or did you find out about this case through this forum?

Thanks,

Well, I feel like I may not hold a place to make a suggestion, since I'm not doing any of the legwork on the research to get contact info. on the alums...:blushing: BUT...
I was going to suggest that the letters be sent out, in small groups maybe, AS YOU GO ALONG, rather than waiting for all the names on all the blocks of the spreadsheetes to be complete. Or did you guys already have that in mind? :silenced: That way, at least some of them are already reaching their intended destinations, without having to wait on some names / info. to be found. What do you think?

By the way, my welcome to Lanie is long overdue...so, WELCOME!! And thank you for pitching right in and helping so much. It must be great to be "oozing free time," as you put it! LOL!!
I can tell you are also researching MPs; would you be willing to take a look at our other project, "Princess Lavender?" She's another UID that someone here posted a facial reconstruction of (jodierenee, I think). It's in this "Located" section, under the title "Unidentified white female Kilgore" or something similar. The leads have been quiet over there lately...

thank you for your time and interest!

warmly,

Okay, I'm lost again.

Lanie, what does IIRC stand for?

Jaded, how about H T H?

TIA :)

By the way, my welcome to Lanie is long overdue...so, WELCOME!! And thank you for pitching right in and helping so much. It must be great to be "oozing free time," as you put it! LOL!!
I can tell you are also researching MPs; would you be willing to take a look at our other project, "Princess Lavender?" She's another UID that someone here posted a facial reconstruction of (jodierenee, I think). It's in this "Located" section, under the title "Unidentified white female Kilgore" or something similar. The leads have been quiet over there lately...

thank you for your time and interest!

warmly,

Thanks for the welcome. Actually, I have been following the Princess Lavender case, but not as much as this one. I thought the Alexis girl was a strong possibility for that one, even though Kilgore is not between Dallas and Houston, as someone posted.:)
IIRC is 'if I remember correctly'.
Lanie

Hi all,
In response to christine's post #560, I too, think what Kelly does is fantastic work, and thank christine for assisting her with it. She has a full plate! On top of being so incredibly emotionally involved with the situation of MPs...:(
Well, if you need input, I certainly would be one of the persons interested in having a readable (is that a word?) form of her DNA reports, rather than needing to listen to it in all its 4 parts. I think the info. is priceless, and I want to be able to refer back to it at any time, highlight it, make notes, etc. So...you've got my vote of support! :dance:

If all of you noticed, the lab of which Kelly speaks, that is one of only three in the nation to be an expert in the field of mitochondrial DNA, is UNT (Univ. of North Tx). THAT is the place that did the recent work-up on Princess Blue!! Finally, experts on the case! So they will be a great asset in comparing PB's DNA with that of samples submitted my family members of MP who think their MP might be P.Blue. And...the lab is federally funded. Yea!!

Good Morning to all!:) :)

I was catching up on some of the past posts, and I wanted to address #486 and #487 in the P.Blue Part II thread. It won't let me quote it in this Part III, but RKnowley and Lion were asking about facial reproductions done with a smile, showing teeth. It depends on the skill and thoroughness of the forensic artist, of course, as there really is no standard in this field as far as procedure goes; usually if you see a facial reconstruction done with the teeth showing, (the sculpture is smiling), or facial reproduction drawn with a smile, it is because the UID's teeth were present and in good condition. Many times, as Lion has stated, some or almost all of the teeth have fallen out in the field, and been lost. Some investigators are instructed to sift and use metal detectors at the scene of discovery, to "catch" teeth that may have become a bit buried, or may blend in w/ pebbles, soil, etc. But They can only go so far. How do you know when to stop? How deep do you dig? How far out of a radius do you search? At some point they must call off the excavation. Granted, there are def. more thorough investigations than others. I certainly don't know how much effort was put into retrieving every last tooth and phalange of P.Blue, but I was thinking that maybe all her front teeth were not in condition to show in the drawing, so the artist created P. Blue's face with a closed-mouth...??

Thank you sloane, and this makes complete sense.

Lion

Well, I feel like I may not hold a place to make a suggestion, since I'm not doing any of the legwork on the research to get contact info. on the alums...:blushing: BUT...
I was going to suggest that the letters be sent out, in small groups maybe, AS YOU GO ALONG, rather than waiting for all the names on all the blocks of the spreadsheetes to be complete. Or did you guys already have that in mind? :silenced: That way, at least some of them are already reaching their intended destinations, without having to wait on some names / info. to be found. What do you think?

I agree with you, sloane. And, since the articles just came out we were thinking that now is a good time. People may be more likely to give it more thought and to respond if they heard about Princess on TV or in the paper.

Lion

I've had my block ready to go since the articles were released. Now I'm just waiting for the letter to be completed so I can stuff my envelopes and send them off. :)

I've had my block ready to go since the articles were released. Now I'm just waiting for the letter to be completed so I can stuff my envelopes and send them off. :)

RKnowley, I admire your dedication and get it done ways! I am not finished with mine, mostly because for me to do research takes very, very long. It takes several minutes to load one page, and sometimes it just doesn't work after waiting for so long for one silly page to come up. Gosh, I wish I could get high speed! But, I am in the sticks, and I can't. Uck! Well, enough ranting for me. Sorry.

Hopefully, the letter will be finalized, soon and at least you can mail out some of your letters. I am excited to hear back from at least some of the grads. We have worked so hard, and I don't even think that anything like this has even been attempted before. Great folks, here--really great folks!

Lion

That's excellent, RKnowley! You go! (you're mighty fast.)

I put in my suggestions to the letter on the SKM site earlier today. It seems as if it is very near ready...yea! Yes, I think we HAD previously discussed the timing of the letter going out to coincide w/ the press releases, but at the time we just didn't know when that was. So, Yes, I think now is an excellent time to start the mail-out, to whichever ones are ready. This is certainly not to rush anyone, though...

Lion, some research had already been done on your block several names (well 25 of them) have contact information and just need to have envelopes addressed for them and have the spreadsheet marked what names you are sending out in this batch.

I have not FINISHED my block but I have addressed the envelopes for the names I do have contact information on so that the first batch is ready to go.

RKnowley, I admire your dedication and get it done ways! I am not finished with mine, mostly because for me to do research takes very, very long. It takes several minutes to load one page, and sometimes it just doesn't work after waiting for so long for one silly page to come up. Gosh, I wish I could get high speed! But, I am in the sticks, and I can't. Uck! Well, enough ranting for me. Sorry.

Hopefully, the letter will be finalized, soon and at least you can mail out some of your letters. I am excited to hear back from at least some of the grads. We have worked so hard, and I don't even think that anything like this has even been attempted before. Great folks, here--really great folks!

Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member