NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunshine, I just called my friend who has lived in C'bad his whole life (54 yrs.) and he said he never heard of Rose's Grocery store, his family owned Crump's Grocery store many years ago. Clarence Rogge was Ron Rogge's father and worked as an insurance agent in C'bad. It doesn't surprise me one bit for the ECSO or anyone else for that matter to mispell words, purposely or otherwise.

Well when Farawaygirl said that there was a Rogges Grocery I just figured they mispelled the name of the store. So now it would probably be okay to say it was the Rogges Grocery...not Roses. Anyway...will keep my ears and eyes open to get it correct...thanks Bobbi:)

I have some new info for you. My sister knew KB. She said he was older than DB and that she thought DB was in her class of '60 but that he didn't graduate. She knew DB was his brother. KB tried to go out with her but she wouldn't, although he did steal a kiss from her. He worked at the grocery store at the time. I THINK the one that was way up on church street close to the 8th Street intersection. She said DB and KB were very different people. KB was nice guy and he married someone else she knew named Glenda. She thought she was a Mormon and that they had moved to Utah at once point. She does have a picture of KB in her Annual and is going to try to scan it and also Glenda's picture. She thinks they are still married.

She talked to a friend of hers who also told her that there is a place on Church Street call The Oasis and that at this place and that they keep all archived articles that were ever in the Current Argus. She knows this because of friend of hers was looking for an old picture that was in the paper. She said it is just past the A & W Drive, but she doesn't know which direction. I just tried to call and get their phone # and information could not find them.

She also has a friend that lives and had worked in the sheriff's office or police dept. (she wasn't sure which) and I have her name too if you think it can help.

My sister does know a Raymond Rice but he is not related to any Ronnie Rice. But, get this, Raymond's daughter was murdered in Waco, Texas and there is a book written about it called Careless Whispers by Carlton Stowers.

Also, my cousin was married to a girl and her maiden name was Rice. I am checking into getting her first name and further information from her. Even though we may not find out anything from the daughter, MAYBE there are cousins, or other relatives out there, that can shed some light.

Like you've said before, there is SOMEONE out there who knows something.

The Mormon church has a geneology office somewhere in C'bad, I'll try to find out where it is and we'll go from there, hopefully they will have records.

I have some new info for you. My sister knew KB. She said he was older than DB and that she thought DB was in her class of '60 but that he didn't graduate. She knew DB was his brother. KB tried to go out with her but she wouldn't, although he did steal a kiss from her. He worked at the grocery store at the time. I THINK the one that was way up on church street close to the 8th Street intersection. She said DB and KB were very different people. KB was nice guy and he married someone else she knew named Glenda. She thought she was a Mormon and that they had moved to Utah at once point. She does have a picture of KB in her Annual and is going to try to scan it and also Glenda's picture. She thinks they are still married.

She talked to a friend of hers who also told her that there is a place on Church Street call The Oasis and that at this place and that they keep all archived articles that were ever in the Current Argus. She knows this because of friend of hers was looking for an old picture that was in the paper. She said it is just past the A & W Drive, but she doesn't know which direction. I just tried to call and get their phone # and information could not find them.

She also has a friend that lives and had worked in the sheriff's office or police dept. (she wasn't sure which) and I have her name too if you think it can help.

My sister does know a Raymond Rice but he is not related to any Ronnie Rice. But, get this, Raymond's daughter was murdered in Waco, Texas and there is a book written about it called Careless Whispers by Carlton Stowers.

Also, my cousin was married to a girl and her maiden name was Rice. I am checking into getting her first name and further information from her. Even though we may not find out anything from the daughter, MAYBE there are cousins, or other relatives out there, that can shed some light.

Like you've said before, there is SOMEONE out there who knows something.

OMG, the Lake Waco Murders. I read that book. Even scanned it for the names of some of the creeps associated to see if any of them could've possibly been connected to the disappearance of the 3 girls from Fort Worth, TX.

Ya'll are concentrating in an area now in which I really can't help as I'm not from Carlsbad. Keep it going though because I feel you are bound to uncover some good stuff!

I know a family in C'bad named Rice but I'm not sure if they are related. Barbara Rice, age around 65+ and her daughter Sherri, will try to find more info on them.

There is also a non-denominational church in C'bad called 'The Oasis' on Lea St. next to the Current-Argus newspaper office.

I found that out when I called information for the phone number. They only had the church listed and nothing else. I am going to double check with my sister and see if she can delve into that a bit.

I found that out when I called information for the phone number. They only had the church listed and nothing else. I am going to double check with my sister and see if she can delve into that a bit.
thank you farawaygirl...any information would be greatly appreciated.

The daughters that we are talking about (Earl Nichols daughters) are: Gladine Lane, and Katie Pinson...Pinson lived on Bonita St. Lane lived in Big Springs, Texas.

His other children were:
James Elmo
Corine G.
Lucille
J.B.
Robert Carson
John L.
Raymond Earle
Wendell Ross
Syble Lois

All of these people are deceased along with Gladine and Katie.

I lived next door to a family named Pinson about the time of the murders. It was during the strike at the mines. I don't know if they were new to the area but they did move next door to us and the dad took a job at the mines. They had a son a little older than me.....don't know if they were related. Don't remember the parents names but I do remember their son's name was Gary.

I lived next door to a family named Pinson about the time of the murders. It was during the strike at the mines. I don't know if they were new to the area but they did move next door to us and the dad took a job at the mines. They had a son a little older than me.....don't know if they were related. Don't remember the parents names but I do remember their son's name was Gary.

Well if the son's name was Gary...he was probably Katie Pinson's son. She live on Bonita St. I will have to look up the address, but we have it on the car registration forms that Earl Nichols bought. Isn't it strange how little things just pop up and you find yourself in the middle of things...especially things like this. You never know when or how information can be used in solving a case. We are trying to find someone that might have knew the lady that Katie Pinson took care of ....her name was Mary...that's all we know. Maybe you can remember the neighbors that were there. This Mary supposedly had demencia or Alzheimers maybe. Anyway thank you for the information.

Note: I see we posted at the same time, Sunshine. Sorry for any duplication of information.

I've been watching the post while dealing with some major family illnesses, but just wanted to acknowledge what a great job you are all doing on this. I'm still here...just listening - sometimes that is the best thing to do, especially when you don't know what else to do. The Carlsbad locals will be crucial in solving this - I've believed that all along, so keep up the good work!

If Gary's parents were LC and Katiebell Pinson you were next door neighbors to them. They lived on Bonita Street. Now, if you can remember Gary's grandfather visiting about the time of the murders, you might have even come face to face with Earl Nichols on this visit or another one of his trips to Carlsbad.

Can you remember what color of car Nichols was driving or anything unusual about that household around the time of the murders?

Katiebell is the one who had shared with her sister that she thought Earl Nichols, their father, was involved in the girls' murders due to remarks he made about being at the beach and seeing the girls (and even overhearing them making the phone call for Patty's mother to come pick them up) and the condition of his car after the murders. He said when they found out Patty's mother wouldn't be coming someone offered them a ride and they went with this someone. But, we know that is not true because they were spotted a short time and distance later walking in front of Linda Roberts' house on their way home.

If Katiebell would have shared anything with anyone else, or if anyone else noticed anything, it could possibly move us forward on this angle. Katiebell cared for a lady with Alzheimers for many years after her husband's death. He died from a heart attack at a fairly young age. He was also believed to have been a preacher in a church. Would you know what church they attended? Do you remember anything as far as who the family friends were, the lady Katiebell cared for, Gary's subsequent time in prison, etc? Anything, anything at all...

You can share the information directly with Sunshine if you are not comfortable posting it here.

Note: I see we posted at the same time, Sunshine. Sorry for any duplication of information.

I've been watching the post while dealing with some major family illnesses, but just wanted to acknowledge what a great job you are all doing on this. I'm still here...just listening - sometimes that is the best thing to do, especially when you don't know what else to do. The Carlsbad locals will be crucial in solving this - I've believed that all along, so keep up the good work!

If Gary's parents were LC and Katiebell Pinson you were next door neighbors to them. They lived on Bonita Street. Now, if you can remember Gary's grandfather visiting about the time of the murders, you might have even come face to face with Earl Nichols on this visit or another one of his trips to Carlsbad.

Can you remember what color of car Nichols was driving or anything unusual about that household around the time of the murders?

Katiebell is the one who had shared with her sister that she thought Earl Nichols, their father, was involved in the girls' murders due to remarks he made about being at the beach and seeing the girls (and even overhearing them making the phone call for Patty's mother to come pick them up) and the condition of his car after the murders. He said when they found out Patty's mother wouldn't be coming someone offered them a ride and they went with this someone. But, we know that is not true because they were spotted a short time and distance later walking in front of Linda Roberts' house on their way home.

If Katiebell would have shared anything with anyone else, or if anyone else noticed anything, it could possibly move us forward on this angle. Katiebell cared for a lady with Alzheimers for many years after her husband's death. He died from a heart attack at a fairly young age. He was also believed to have been a preacher in a church. Would you know what church they attended? Do you remember anything as far as who the family friends were, the lady Katiebell cared for, Gary's subsequent time in prison, etc? Anything, anything at all...

You can share the information directly with Sunshine if you are not comfortable posting it here.

Thank You Legacy....hope things are much better with your family. I know an illness can really slow the family down. Also make one realize how important family is to us.
Legacy thank you for pointing the information we do know about the Pinson and Nichols family.
Farawaygirl has shared interesting information regarding this case. Like I said before...the least little bit of information can really lead to something big...so please keep the information coming. You never know when it will help solve a case.
Thanks Farawaygirl for the information you have shared with me. Anyone can contact me through my email or PM me. Thanks.....

Great news.....a neice of Margaret Warble's has emailed me...I'm waiting on Maragret Warble to call me....I'm very excited to talk with her. Thank You for helping me out....

Hobbs Daily News - Sun / Friday, January 24, 1964

Held 18 months, Parsons freed in two killings

(API) Franklin (Buddy) Parsons is free after being held prisoner for about 18 months in the shooting deaths of two Carlsbad teen-age girls.
“I don’t know the details . . . but if he had been put away without being sure it wouldn’t have made me feel any better,” Mrs. Pete Restine said in Carlsbad this morning.
Mrs. Restine’s daughter, Mattie Catherine, 13, and Pattie Sue Pritz, 14, were found shot to death August 13, 1961. They had disappeared two days earlier while at the Carlsbad Municipal Beach. Parson was arrested August, 1962, in connection to the murders.
Parsons, 23, was released Thursday from State Prison, where he had been held for examinations after District Attorney Pat Hanagan of Roswell reported there was insufficient evidence to bring him to trial.
The mother of Pattie Sue Pritz, Mrs. Cullen Davidson, said this morning, “I just can’t comment …but in a way I feel …relieved. I know there has been suspects better than him (Parsons) …at times he acted as though he didn‘t know what it was all about.“
Parson’s mother, who has her son home with her now in Albuquerque, has steadfastly maintained that her son didn’t know what he was doing when he signed a confession statement. She said her son is mentally retarded and can neither read nor write.
“I can’t say how I feel about the possibility of any injustice (in holding Parsons prisoner) …there’s a lot that I don’t know,” said Mrs. Davidson. “I know the police put a lot of work into it …I worked right with the police on this …I’ve had my doubts (about Parsons). All my life I have studied detective stories and I’m now studying crime …in (the beginning of this case they had one suspect in whose car they found a tube of lipstick, a Navy button and a billfold …I was never shown these things that I might have identified …both of the girls were wearing sailor type suits. This character had scratches on his face …he left town.”
But about Parsons. Mrs. Davidson said she had had her doubts. “I couldn’t say either way,” she said.
In Roswell, District Attorney Pat Hanagan said, “The investigation has to go on.” He was asked if this means the investigation is back where it started. “That’s about what it amounts to, he said. “ I wouldn’t want to comment any further other than to say the charges against Parsons have been dismissed …the trial was to have started next week.”
Parsons was dismissed to the custody of his attorneys , T.E. (Gene) Lusk and John B. Walker. His parents met the young man at a Santa Fe psychiatrist’s office. After a tearful reunion, the family left for their Albuquerque home. Parsons has under gone numerous psychiatric tests.
The New Mexico Association for Retarded Children became interested in the case but had no official contact with Parsons or officials connected with the proceedings.
Ed Voorhees of Los Alamos, a member of the association board said, “We did discuss it. We were gathering more information but that’s as far as it went.”

SUSPECT QUIZZED IN NM KILLINGS

LITTLETON, Colo., Jan. 5, (UPI) -- New Mexico law officers have questioned Alfred W. Ratzloff concerning a double murder at Carlsbad, NM.

Ratzloff has admitted the kidnap-shooting of Sandra Lee Smith, 16, an Aurora, Colo., high school student. New Mexico authorities asked to question the 42 year-old suspect because of the similarity between the case and the Carlsbad murders.

Authorities hoped to gain a new lead in the murders of Mattie Restine, 13, and Patty Sue Pritz, 14, August 11, 1961.

Two New Mexico officers questioned Ratzloff, but released no detaills of their investigation. Arapaho County Chief Investigator Bill Marragos said Ratzloff denied the killings.

Police Question Man in Fatal shooting

SPRINGFIELD, MO (AP) - A 20 year-old man was held for questioning today in the fatal shooting last month of two girls near Carlsbad, NM.

Sam Robards, Chief of Police, said the man was taken into custody Wednesday night at the request of the Sheriff of Eddy County, New Mexico. After questioning, Robards said the man agreed to take a polygraph test. No charges have been filed.

Two girls, Pattie Sue Prtiz, 14, and Mattie Restine, 13, were found slain August 13 northest of Carlsbad. each had a single gunshot wound to the head.

Hobbs Daily News - Sun / Friday, January 24, 1964

Held 18 months, Parsons freed in two killings

(API) Franklin (Buddy) Parsons is free after being held prisoner for about 18 months in the shooting deaths of two Carlsbad teen-age girls.
“I don’t know the details . . . but if he had been put away without being sure it wouldn’t have made me feel any better,” Mrs. Pete Restine said in Carlsbad this morning.
Mrs. Restine’s daughter, Mattie Catherine, 13, and Pattie Sue Pritz, 14, were found shot to death August 13, 1961. They had disappeared two days earlier while at the Carlsbad Municipal Beach. Parson was arrested August, 1962, in connection to the murders.
Parsons, 23, was released Thursday from State Prison, where he had been held for examinations after District Attorney Pat Hanagan of Roswell reported there was insufficient evidence to bring him to trial.
The mother of Pattie Sue Pritz, Mrs. Cullen Davidson, said this morning, “I just can’t comment …but in a way I feel …relieved. I know there has been suspects better than him (Parsons) …at times he acted as though he didn‘t know what it was all about.“
Parson’s mother, who has her son home with her now in Albuquerque, has steadfastly maintained that her son didn’t know what he was doing when he signed a confession statement. She said her son is mentally retarded and can neither read nor write.
“I can’t say how I feel about the possibility of any injustice (in holding Parsons prisoner) …there’s a lot that I don’t know,” said Mrs. Davidson. “I know the police put a lot of work into it …I worked right with the police on this …I’ve had my doubts (about Parsons). All my life I have studied detective stories and I’m now studying crime …in (the beginning of this case they had one suspect in whose car they found a tube of lipstick, a Navy button and a billfold …I was never shown these things that I might have identified …both of the girls were wearing sailor type suits. This character had scratches on his face …he left town.”
But about Parsons. Mrs. Davidson said she had had her doubts. “I couldn’t say either way,” she said.
In Roswell, District Attorney Pat Hanagan said, “The investigation has to go on.” He was asked if this means the investigation is back where it started. “That’s about what it amounts to, he said. “ I wouldn’t want to comment any further other than to say the charges against Parsons have been dismissed …the trial was to have started next week.”
Parsons was dismissed to the custody of his attorneys , T.E. (Gene) Lusk and John B. Walker. His parents met the young man at a Santa Fe psychiatrist’s office. After a tearful reunion, the family left for their Albuquerque home. Parsons has under gone numerous psychiatric tests.
The New Mexico Association for Retarded Children became interested in the case but had no official contact with Parsons or officials connected with the proceedings.
Ed Voorhees of Los Alamos, a member of the association board said, “We did discuss it. We were gathering more information but that’s as far as it went.”
Thank You for posting this article. It has a great deal of information in it. I have never heard of the interest in another suspect that had scratches on his face or about the button...interesting to say the least.
Right now I have a new suspect...but not free to put his name on here. He is from Carlsbad...hopefully soon I will be able to share the information I have received the past couple of months.
Again thanks for all the help and information. You never know when the slightest little bit of information can be important to this case.

Hobbs Daily News-Sun (Hobbs, New Mexico) August 16, 1961

CARLSBAD (AP) - The killer of teenagers Pattie sue Pritz, 14, and Mattie Catherine Restine, 13, was still at large today and police said there were no new leads in the case. An inquest jury met yesterday and ruled the girls died of gunshot wounds at the hands of an unknown person.

The jury heard testimony from the two men who discovered the two bodies Sunday and from Dr. Fred Haynes, Carlsbad pathologist who performed the autopsy.

Dr. Haynes said each girl was shot through the head and a large caliber weapon, probably a .38 was used by the killer.

He said there was no evidence that the girls were severely beaten before they were shot to death and that the skull fractures were probably caused by the bullets.

He also said that Mattie Restine was not raped and he was unable to determine if Patty Restine had been molested sexually. Her body, he said, was in an advanced stage of decomposition.

Assistant District Attorney Charles A. Feezer took a slap at newspaper accounts that were speculating that a sex maniac was responsible for the killings. "A maniac", said Feezer, "stands out like an elephant and we are not looking at a character that stands out." He said that authorities were not looking for a so-called sex maniac in connection with the deaths.

The men who discovered the bodies, Bill Melton, 45, and Willie Blair, 43, of Carlsbad, testified they spotted the Restine girls body while driving on a road in the Rocky Arroyo area northwest of Carlsbad. They were hunting for rabbits.

They said they saw the bodies but did not get out of the car. They drove to the nearest telephone and notified authorities.

Dr. Haynes said the girls had been dead from 36 to 48 hours.

Pattie and Mattie were first reported missing Friday evening. Pattie was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cullen Davidson and Mattie the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter W. Restine.

State Police Officer Lt. A.J. Smith said the only clues they had to work on in the case were and man's footprints and tire tracks found near the bodies.

The men picked up in Roswell and Clovis were virtually eliminated as having any connection to the case.

Roswell authorities said a man they were holding would be set free. Clovis authorities said an Amarillo man who was saying he was responsible for the deaths, had changed his story. Police indicated the young man's story had been discounted after several hours of questioning.

Last day is Described
Teenage Murder Solution Evades Officers at Carlsbad

by Judith Brimberg of the Journal Staff

CARLSBAD - Carlsbad authorities admitted this week that they were no further along in solving the murder of two teenage girls than immediately after it happened two-and-one-half months ago.

On August 13, 13 year-old Mattie C. Restine, a small, slender, dark-haired girl, and a new friend, Patty Sue Pritz, a 14 year-old youngster described as looking like a valentine, were found shot to death. Their bodies were discovered just off Sitting Bull Falls Road in the Rocky Arroyo section, a bleak, deserted area 12 miles northeast of Carlsbad. Police said Patty had been sexually assaulted.

The parents of both youngsters offered the following account of how they spent their last day.

On August 11, a Friday, went to her friend's, who was helping her make a blouse. The two girls decided they wanted to go 'Navy' - hence Mattie was clad in a white middy blouse with red shorts, while Patty worn a white and blue jumper with scarf, with navy shorts and a white sailor's cap. Patty had borrowed part of her costume from her stepfather, Cullen Davidson.

The girls lunched with Patty's step grandmother and then went to her aunt's to try to obtain a sailor's cap for Mattie. They wanted for the aunt until almost 6 p.m. and then decided to go to the Carlsbad Municipal Beach.

The pair spent more than two hours at the beach. About 8:40 p.m., they were seen by a friend of Patty's who offered to walk home with them. However, the girls could no wait - Mattie should have been home by 8, they told him.

Shortly after 9 p.m., a man was seen struggling with two girls near a car two blocks from Patty's house.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Restine began to worry. "I could always trust Mattie," she related. She described her daughter as somewhat immature and young looking for her age. "She played with jacks and wasn't ready to date," Mrs. Restine said. Patty had just begun to date, her mother said.

Mrs. Restine got in touch with Mrs. Davidson, who thought perhaps the two girls had gone back to the grandmother's house. At 11 p.m., they told authorities the two girls were missing.

That the two bodies were found even 36 hours later is to be wondered at, since the Sitting Bull Road sector is little frequented. Each had been shot in the temple with a .38 caliber pistol, and Patty had been disrobed.

The evidence at the scene was very meager, both Police Chief Luther Daniels and State Police Lt. A.J. Smith said. It consisted of tire tracks and a right footprint. Neither meant much, according to the chief, since the damp dirt made the tracks look as if the tires were slick and the footprint was that of a shoe or boot sold in six stores in Carlsbad.

In the beginning, authorities were swamped with tips and state police for nearby Chaves County were called in to help sift the information.

"We've held 15 men and given polygraph tests to eight," Lt.. Smith reported.

Carlsbad merchants and union officials began a reward fund, now nearing the $3,000-mark, for any information leading to the girls' killer. The money is to be turned back to the contributors if not claimed by November 18.

Mrs. Davidson thinks perhaps the money might be used to hire a private detective. Both she and the Restines feel sure that the crime was committed by someone from the Carlsbad area, and Mrs. Davidson believes it was someone from the neighborhood.

Mattie's father, Pete Restine, a mine section foreman, said he is afraid it will happen again. The Restine's have four other children, three boys and one girl; while Mrs. Davidson has two other daughters.

"There are whirls of people around here in the summer," said Sheriff Carl Hawkins, who took office several days after the killings. "We've heard from police departments from all over the United States and there are many cases similar to this. It could be anyone," he declared.

C.A. Feezer, the assistant district attorney who is in charge of the investigation, stated, "We're doing whatever we can."

Two men from the sheriff's department are still assigned to the case, while one police department investigator is working on it part-time.

The parents are still stunned. "I've read about murders all of my life, and now it's happened to me," said Mrs. Davidson. Mrs. Restine said: "I just wanted to crawl away and die."

And that is about what my mother did...."crawl away and die." She died at the early age of 55 yrs. which I'm sure was brought on by the death of her beloved daughter. There wasn't a day that went by that she did say something about Mattie. I can still hear her today. "I wonder if they have found who killed my girl." That is how she would start talking about Mattie. I hope and pray that my parents and brother Bill are with Mattie and my other sister, Mary Ellen ,...all in the arms of the Lord....happy....and that my mother has her children in her arms and is happy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23