GA - Troy Davis fails to prove his innocence to Supreme Court

Oh no... what a tragedy... how awful. :(

washingtonpost The Washington Post
BREAKING: @AP reports U.S. Supreme Court refuses to block #TroyDavis execution // Developing: wapo.st/nXGcWU
3 minutes ago

The crowd is silent. They may not all know what has happened but wow. I was considering going to over to the state capital. Still thinking about it.

CNN reporting it is dead silent.

Demoracy Now says the decision was unanimous. OMG I understand they have rules and procedure but it shouldnt take 4 hours when everyone agrees.

Let's pray... together.

I had heard earlier on TV that we don't get to know how the SCOTUS justices voted, who voted how.

Transparency denied.

The crowd is silent. They may not all know what has happened but wow. I was considering going to over to the state capital. Still thinking about it.

CNN reporting it is dead silent.

Demoracy Now says the decision was unanimous. OMG I understand they have rules and procedure but it shouldnt take 4 hours when everyone agrees.

They may have had a hard time deciding because even if they decided to stay, they would most likely be remanding the case back to the lower courts who have already said they wouldn't help him. Other than dragging this out longer until we got to this night again on another day, it is pretty clear that the state was not going to do anything. I would hope that the governor would at least consider it.

MSNBC is reporting that it will take about 30 minutes to get everyone in place and then they will kill him.

This is horrible news. I have been immersed in the Kelly Thomas case but in the midst of my elation that something is moving in that case, I've had my mind on this one. I feel sick and horrified. What kind of country do we live in where this can happen? What kind of country do we live in when a possibly innocent man can be executed by the government?

I feel like crying. This is appalling. Why couldn't they have found a way to stop this? Why is the Supreme Court ignoring this?

I think this case may have just changed my mind about the death penalty.

I think, from what they are saying on TV that they can only do a stay at this point, because the petition is only for a stay while they prepare an appeal. They said that both sides only gave bare bones, just 2 pages each.

Then they would grant a stay if they decide if they are going to take up the case. If they grant the stay so that the appeals can go in, then they will get a longer stay until the court can review the appeals and both sides can respond.

ETA: having worked a lot of these cases, I have never seen anything like this. Normally, when there is this much public support and doubt, at the very least, a governor steps in and grants a pardon--usually a conditional pardon commuting the sentence to life with or without parole

In Georgia the governor CAN'T issue pardons. Only the pardons and paroles board.

I wonder if this case could be a catalyst for death penalty reform or at least a renewed discussion. I don't know what to say. This is wrong and I am ashamed of my state today.

In Georgia the governor CAN'T issue pardons. Only the pardons and paroles board.

I wonder if this case could be a catalyst for death penalty reform or at least a renewed discussion. I don't know what to say. This is wrong and I am ashamed of my state today.

bbm

Me, too. I'm a Georgia native... all of my family is still there.

I have lost ALL faith in our so-called Justice System.

Criminal AND Civil as well (personal matter).

Tragic.

No, two wrongs do not make a right. My 8-1/2-yr-old son was appalled tonight to learn that someone can be killed for killing someone else...

RIP, Troy Davis. No, you were not a model citizen and you may in fact be guilty. But it is not up to other fellow human beings to take your life away. That is reserved for a Higher Power. I am sorry... God bless your family and the MacPhail family...

TroyDavis_young.jpg

http://www.angryblacklady.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/TroyDavis_young.jpg

troy_davis21.jpg

http://allisonkilkenny.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/troy_davis21.jpg

troymom-reduced1.jpg

http://allisonkilkenny.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/troymom-reduced1.jpg

troy_davis.jpg

http://truthinjustice.org/troy_davis.jpg

Thank you. I was wondering about that and why the governor had not stepped in. My state has a parole board, but not a pardons board and the governor is the one who always steps in and I have only ever worked hands on in cases here. What a sad, sad day.

:tears:

I think this case may have just changed my mind about the death penalty.

Then some good can come from this. Thank you.

If this changes minds and makes people think about and talk about it. DP is only in 10-15(?) states now. If there is justice, one day no state will have it.

It's funny, I've always been against the death penalty but I've never been passionate about it. This case seems to have made me so.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back