VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started reading the threads tonight and haven't made it through the first discussion thread (the 20 page one). I hope to catch up soon.

Has anyone tried to make a comment on the forum at:

http://www.dead.net/show/june-25-1995

This link takes you to the Grateful Deads fan site and is for that particular concert. Maybe someone there would recognize him.

I'm thinking that since concert was in DC and he was in VA that he was on his way home which has to be somewhere along that route...so maybe like the southeast states, texas, ok, ne, ks, tn. I also think he's definetly under 21 because if your 21 or over you bring your id to get alcohol. so because he didnt have an id he probably didnt need it because hes under 21. Is there anyway to maybe get somewhere just by narrowing down to those states where that route heads?

ok so i thought i would go to myspace to work there, he already has a myspace and has over 700 friends. His myspace suggests he was going south. So just keep myspace in your mind because he's got all the same info on his page as we all know. A lot of 30 somethings have myspace so hopefully the carolines come across him.

I'm thinking that since concert was in DC and he was in VA that he was on his way home which has to be somewhere along that route...so maybe like the southeast states, texas, ok, ne, ks, tn. I also think he's definetly under 21 because if your 21 or over you bring your id to get alcohol. so because he didnt have an id he probably didnt need it because hes under 21. Is there anyway to maybe get somewhere just by narrowing down to those states where that route heads?

I think that makes a compelling argument! It doesn't seem as though he was following the next leg of the tour as the show on the 27th of June was in Michigan. Maybe he arranged to meet up with or was staying with someone who lived closer to the venue before he decided to head south?

I dont know how many people on here have a myspace but i think it would definetly help if whoever does adds him as a friend because friends looks at friends pages and so on...that would kind of be a way to help get his picture farther across the internet. And to maedchenx thats exactly right about him not being a true follower his myspace says the same thing. Maybe if we went to chat rooms on all major sites (ie. aol, yahoo) we could go to a grateful dead chat room and find out how many dead head fans went to that show. Its a pretty big show. Even the moderate fans would've went.

At first I thought that curly redhead could possibly be him, but I dunno. That guy seems pretty tall, and our guy was an overly tall man. I don't think he'd stick UP.

I also think he's definetly under 21 because if your 21 or over you bring your id to get alcohol. so because he didnt have an id he probably didnt need it because hes under 21.

I carried my ID with me before I turned 21, especially if I was traveling. That said, I didn't get an ID until I was about 19 and moved out and started working. I didn't drive till I was about 20, so I didn't have a license as a teenager. It is quite possible that "Jason" had simply had no reason to acquire an ID at that point in his life. Which would seem to point to him being on the younger side of the age estimate.

In one of the previous threads, someone asked if it was possible that his wallet had been stolen at the accident scene, before medics and police arrived. I wonder if any money was found on him at all, even small change. If he was carrying around cash to purchase tickets and that brand new t-shirt, you'd think he'd at least have a little bit in change left over.

I really want to see the police report, so some of these questions can be answered.

Edited to add: Now that I think about it, do we know for sure the t-shirt was purchased at that concert? I know the t-shirt is from that tour, but I can't recall if it was ever established as a fact that the shirt came from that particular show. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Here is what gets me. "Jason" had perfect teeth. You would think that a parent who took their child to the dentist regularly is a responsible parent. I would also tend to think that a responsible parent would be searching for their child.

These are not facts, but thoughts:
  • Jason's parents are elderly and are not familiar with how to use the internet.
  • Jason's parents are deceased.
  • Jason was an only child and therefore would not have siblings looking for him.
As crazy as it sounds, is there a way to contact all dentists on the east coast asking if they recognize this person? It would be time consuming, but maybe there is a way it could be done on the internet, in a forum such as this.

There is also the possibility that Jason's parents could be alive and well but have written him off for some reason or Jason could have chosen to break with them. If contact was broken for acrimonious reasons that could explain his family not searching for him. Jason could have been bisexual or homosexual (a deal breaker for too many parents) or have been told 'live by our rules or get out' by strict parents or 'live according to our faith or get out' by pious parents. Perhaps he has family out there who hope he will contact them again one day when tensions have eased or he has straightened his life out.

That is a great idea about the dentists. Maybe you could ask your dentist if there is a dental magazine or publication that most dentists subscribe to. The editor may be willing to do an article. You could also ask about the major companies that manufacture or supply dental devices (like fillings) or dental surgical equipment. They may be willing to mail out a NCMEC flier of Jason with their products. I doubt it but it's worth a shot. Red hair is just uncommon enough for a dentist or orthodotist to perhaps remember him.

Personally, I don't think why a family hasn't reported someone missing is really important to gaining their identity. The circumstances are too numerous to count in regards to why there is no missing person file on JD. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. We have to work around it. Even in a worst case scenario where no one is looking for this guy, the fact is that we are. We're all looking for him.

i thought about the fact that maybe he bought the shirt at the concert but i figured that wouldn't help us at all so it doesnt matter if he had it prior or not. I put a blog on my myspace about our guy and told my friends to put him as a friend just so we could display his picture and info across the internet more.

Edited to add: Now that I think about it, do we know for sure the t-shirt was purchased at that concert? I know the t-shirt is from that tour, but I can't recall if it was ever established as a fact that the shirt came from that particular show. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

I was wondering that too- I haven't seen anything that has narrowed the shirt down to anything more than a shirt from that years tour. Is there a pic of the back of the shirt anywhere? The front says 'tour 199?' (I guess 1995 but I can't read the last #) but the back would be the place they would put any more info on venues/cities if it even had any.

I think the Dead tended to just have a set of shirts for the whole tour, or maybe one for East Coast and one for West Coast legs, something like that. It is kind of rare for there to be a shirt made specifically for one show, so my guess is its just a general 1995 tour shirt. In that case there probably wouldn't be any way to trace the purchase to any particular venue.
I looked for it online but I couldn't find that particular shirt anywhere to get any more info on it. I do wish there was a picture of the back of the shirt just to satisfy my curiosity, but I can't seem to find one?

I was wondering that too- I haven't seen anything that has narrowed the shirt down to anything more than a shirt from that years tour. Is there a pic of the back of the shirt anywhere? The front says 'tour 199?' (I guess 1995 but I can't read the last #) but the back would be the place they would put any more info on venues/cities if it even had any.

I think the Dead tended to just have a set of shirts for the whole tour, or maybe one for East Coast and one for West Coast legs, something like that. It is kind of rare for there to be a shirt made specifically for one show, so my guess is its just a general 1995 tour shirt. In that case there probably wouldn't be any way to trace the purchase to any particular venue.
I looked for it online but I couldn't find that particular shirt anywhere to get any more info on it. I do wish there was a picture of the back of the shirt just to satisfy my curiosity, but I can't seem to find one?

I'll take a look around on Ebay for the shirt tomorrow. Even is there isn't one listed right now, there might be sometime in the near future.

The reason I started thinking about the shirt is because I was wondering, if Jason purchased the shirt at that show, what happened to the one he was wearing before he bought it? Where were his other belongings? Even if you're on a short road trip, you usually bring a change of clothes in a backpack or something.

Makes me wonder if he indeed did miss a ride with someone (ie, the Carolines) who may have had some of his stuff with them.

There is also the possibility that Jason's parents could be alive and well but have written him off for some reason or Jason could have chosen to break with them. If contact was broken for acrimonious reasons that could explain his family not searching for him. Jason could have been bisexual or homosexual (a deal breaker for too many parents) or have been told 'live by our rules or get out' by strict parents or 'live according to our faith or get out' by pious parents. Perhaps he has family out there who hope he will contact them again one day when tensions have eased or he has straightened his life out.

That is a great idea about the dentists. Maybe you could ask your dentist if there is a dental magazine or publication that most dentists subscribe to. The editor may be willing to do an article. You could also ask about the major companies that manufacture or supply dental devices (like fillings) or dental surgical equipment. They may be willing to mail out a NCMEC flier of Jason with their products. I doubt it but it's worth a shot. Red hair is just uncommon enough for a dentist or orthodotist to perhaps remember him.

I like your thinking and those ideas didn't come to me while I was composing that response. But it does make sense. Just like the SC "mystery couple". You have to wonder why no one is looking for them.

so i went through the following states websites looking for missing people because sometimes they have missing people on there that arent on the missingkids.com website. I went to the georgia, alabama, tennessee, arkansas, texas, and oklahoma state sites and found nothing so far. I'm still trying to find a way to see more surrounding states sites to see if he's on one of those.
as for the dentist thing do we know if he just had perfect looking teeth or if he had work done? If he had work done then we can try going to the american dental association website and contacting them to see if they would put something tiny in there about gd fan.
also maybe we could divide up the southern states and contact the major newspapers from each state and put in a little tiny thing somewhere asking if someone knows him

what do you guys think?

Last night I read through the previous thread on this case and was very impressed with the dedication and hard work of so many sleuthers. I, like others, am inclined to believe JD was never reported missing, before or after his death. I was particularly struck by one posters suggestion (supported by information gleaned from the ME) that JD's family
became aware of his fate when this case was first publicized but for reasons unknown, perhaps financial, did not claim his body.

I would still love for this Doe to be identified though my optimism has faded. What keeps me hopeful is to see how many people have been moved by this case over the years and truly care about finding out who 'Jason' was, it is inspiring.

I like your thinking and those ideas didn't come to me while I was composing that response. But it does make sense. Just like the SC "mystery couple". You have to wonder why no one is looking for them.

Thank you Kittykat. :cat: I do think it is worthwhile speculating why a person hasn't been reported missing. If a person hasn't been reported you could approach groups or areas that often have contact with people estranged from their families or those who have no family. For example, following my earlier line of thought, you could approach foster care departments and agencies (a red headed child is just rare enough to be memorable), church groups (sometimes people turn to a church when they feel alone or he could have devout parents who are estranged from their wayward son), cheap hostels (if he's travelling), streetkids hangouts or homosexual clubs and advocacy groups (many have members that have been shunned by their families) in the state he was found.

The height is off by an inch or two but everything else looks like this Daniel Sheppard should be looked at to be this young man. What do you all think?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1466dmsau.html

Daniel Nicholas Sheppard
Missing since January 1, 1995 from Adelaide, South Australia
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 165 cms (5'5"); slim build.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair; blue eyes. Fair complexion.
  • Clothing: Blue jeans, a maroon denim shirt and black shoes.

Is everyone sure that the 914 was a prefix and not an area code? 914 used to be the area code for a large suburban area outside NY city. It was rockland and other counties, I believe they changed it a few years ago to be just westchester across the hudson from Rockland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee