OR - Two killed, 1 injured in Clackamas mall shooting, 11 Dec 2012

It is very surprising to me that he shot a 15 yr old girl. Hopefully she will recover from her injuries. But it seems odd that he could shoot an innocent young girl like that. He must have been very angry or very sick, imo.

I think the term "firing indiscriminately" may fit the circumstance here. Amazing he did not hit more.

“It’s clear to me she’s a very brave young woman … I think she’s doing as well as we can expect” due to her support system, he said. Kiraly said she was still at risk for potential complications and infections.

Shevchenko is a freshman at Clackamas Middle College, a charter school in the North Clackamas School District."

More info about the surviving victim. Looks like such a sweet girl, poor thing.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-shooting-survivor-cheated-death-last-summer-183175691.html

jesus this guy looks.....wow i cannot believe this..come on people...dont do that please.....people said he was a joker and loved to make jokes and stuff come on....so sad

It had to be more than just missing a flight. If you 'miss' a flight, you just sit in the bar and wait for the next one out. It had to be more than a missed flight. Maybe he couldn't afford the flight or his ex has a new boyfriend or something like that.

But I still think he might have had a sudden onset of mental health issues. My younger brother was 22 when he first was diagnosed with schizophrenia. And it kind of came out of the blue. He was always pretty headstrong and stubborn. But he was very intelligent and a talented athlete and quite the ladies man. But he started getting really paranoid and acting very strangely, and suddenly he went off the deep end. Hearing voices and thinking the TV was talking to him personally. Very sad times for our family. :cry:

I work about a block from CTC--we were hearing sirens, LOTS of sirens, so I checked KATU's website to see if maybe there'd been a bad wreck on the freeway (we're very near 205). Instead, I found the breaking news about the shooting.

Not that I really thought that they'd be at the mall, but I called home to make sure my husband and son were there. Got the answering machine, twice. Called my husband's cell, and when it picked up I heard my son's voice and LOUD SIRENS. They were literally RIGHT IN FRONT of the mall, driving down 82nd Avenue on their way home from a store further down the road--they said emergency vehicles were screaming in from everywhere and people were running. My heart was just pounding; when I heard the siren when the phone picked up my adrenaline level just shot through the roof.

We ended up locking the doors at our office, and feeling a little bit silly about it but we all agreed that it would make us feel safer, because at that point no one knew if the shooter was on the loose, or if there was more than one...

Relieved that it turned out that we were not in danger; absolutely saddened and sickened by the whole event. So awful. Very close to home.

12.12 presser:

Sgt Adam Phillips, PIO; Sheriff Craig Roberts; Dennis Curtis, general manager, Town Center.

- Sheriff Roberts:

Identities of two killed: Cindy Ann Yuille, 54, NE Portland; Steven Matthew Forsyth, 45, West Lynn.

Suspect: Jacob Tyler Roberts, 22; (born 16 March 1990). Appears to have died due to self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Roberts armed with AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, stolen yesterday from acquaintance. Wearing hockey-style face mask.

"We do not understand the motive....no apparent relationship between suspect and victims."

Search warrant served at his residence: 7324 SE 84th Ave in Portland; '96 VW Jetta, his vehicle.

First call: 3:29 p.m.; first LE on scene, 3:30 p.m.

Suspect pulled vehicle in front of Macy's; ran to general direction of food court; fired, killed two; suspect then fled down corridor and down back hallway; shot himself.

Suspect's rifle jammed in food court; was able to get rifle working again.

He lived about a mile from me and around the corner from my ex boyfriend's house. He also went to the same high school as my daughter (one year ahead) and when she checked his Facebook she found they had one friend in common. Another friend of hers said they were freshmen together and he was completely normal then.

Another coincidence. His mother (apparently)is friends with my boyfriend's son's girlfriend.

Another coincidence. His mother (apparently)is friends with my boyfriend's son's girlfriend.

He told his ex that his mother died in childbirth. He lived with his maternal aunt, though, until he was 14:

...Roberts told Curry [the ex] that his mother died at childbirth and he never met his father, she said. He left his maternal aunt's home at age 14, Curry said.

"He raised himself," Curry said. "He was doing it all on his own."

A friend from high school, Jordan Salazar, said she understood that Roberts' parents were not present in his life. He was a skateboarder back then, she said...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/12/us/oregon-mall-gunman-profile/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I'm just now reading much about him. But to have that kind of background, and leaving home at 14? The poor kid (that he was before) probably had serious problems for a while. Maybe he didn't know that, really; I don't know. Others should have known it and directed him to psychological help.

I can't tell yet whether his background and possible constitution made him an angry monster who should have gotten help himself for that, or a lost soul who lost touch with reality. But I bet the bank his background is the biggest factor, one way or another :(

Odd way to describe someone who supposedly killed himself?

That's a new one. I used to dislike "terminated" also. Yuck!

Also from the same article:

The wounded victim, 15-year-old girl Kristina Shevchenko, was taken by helicopter to a hospital where a spokeswoman said she was in serious condition.

She underwent surgery to have bullet fragments removed and has now been upgraded to stable condition. She will need to undergo further surgeries, authorities said.

It is the girl's second brush with death in recent months, her family revealed in a statement. She survived a head-on car collision earlier this year when she was one of nine in a vehicle in her family.

Kristina regularly walked through the mall to get home from school, her family said.

First, I'm too paranoid to allow a child or teen cut through a mall alone, much less daily.

Second of all, if she survives this and I hope she does, this is her second brush with death this year! Poor thing. I would never let her out of my sight, she would now be homeschooled and we would just have to order groceries delivered. I swear I would be flipping out, even though it would make her feel miserable, I wouldn't be able to help it.

Don't think its very easy to shoot yourself with an AR-15. Strange.

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office has released a final report, available here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2013/05/clackamas_town_center_shooting_83.html

Down in the fine print, it is clear that Jacob Tyler Roberts was NOT acting alone!

Section 2 pg78 of 111
Ciminalist Tim Bailey: (3:50pm) "At this time the available information indicated there were possibly two or more active shooters in the mall, one was down with a self-inflicted gunshot wound on the other side of the mall."

Section 4 pg48 of 105
PO Hanes: After searching the home store, deputies broadcasted that there were possibly 1 or 2 more shooters.

--pg68 of 105
Det. Lee: From radio traffic I couldn't tell if there were multiple shooters. I heard a description at one point of a light skinned black male wearing red, accompanied by two other male juveniles.

Section 5 pg73 of 121
PO Crivellone: Dispatch received several calls regarding the incident, some of which reported there were possibly as many as three shooters.

Differing descriptions of the type of mask the shooter wore suggest at least one more suspect:

Section 1 pg6 of 100
He had on a black tactical vest, white hockey mask
(A majority of the witnesses also use the term 'hockey mask' to describe it.)

Section 4 pg59 of 105
PO Smith: A .223 caliber semi automatic rifle and a white mask, appearing similar to a masquerade mask, were lying nearby on the floor as well. (at the scene where Roberts' body was found)

Section 5 pg84 of 121
Det. Atkeson: Mr. Frankel told me the mask looked like a "Guy Fawkes" mask and not a hockey mask.

pg91 of 121
PO Dolan: Mr. Boyle told me he first notices the mask the suspect was wearing and said it wasn't a hockey mask like the news is reporting, it was just a white circular, cheap, plastic mask with holes for the eyes, etc. ...
Mr. Beaudry said the male was wearing... a mask that.. appeared to have some kind of skull design on it. Mr. Beaudry said the subject also was wearing a backpack. (Roberts did not have any backpack on.)

Section 7 pg54 of 206
Det Nunn: (witness Lyon)She said that he had a mask and a gun. Morgan described the mask like a theatre mask, similar to the Phantom of the Opera style but it covered his whole face. She said it wasn't a hockey style mask.

pg176 of 206
PO Harrington: (witness Frazier)(shooter was)Wearing a white mask which he described as a 'Jabberwocky' mask.... He said it was a flat, white, expressionless mask.

Section 8 pg65 of 119
Det Huskey: Both witnesses heard a sequence of gun fire shots, 3 to 5 in a row. (witness Coursen) ...turned around to see a male dressed all in black from head to toe, including a black mask.

In addition, there were also at least two other strange characters seen on buses who entered the mall when and where the shooting started. This could not have been Roberts as he officially drove to the shooting scene in his VW Jetta.

Section 2 pg3 of 111
PO Rose: (witness White) Mrs. White told me that on the day of the shooting she rode tri-met bus #79 from her work at 3pm to the town center mall. She said a heavy set dark skinned male was sitting in front of her. She further described the male as having a pony tail and the rest of his hair being short or shaved. She said when the bus stopped at the mall at about 3:11pm, the male put on a snowboard type bandana. She described the bandana as being cloth with a black and white skull printed on it. She said that the male placed the bandana over the lower part of his face and exited the bus. ... She said she watched the male enter the mall near the theater.... ...several minutes later she heard gun shots coming from the mall.

Section 5 pg105 of 121
Det. Burlew(concerning video of the man with mask on bus): The man wore the mask as he walked into the mall using the entrance to the food court, which is a mall entrance directly across from where the shooting occurred. ... The unknown man got on the bus in Oregon City and off at the mall. At approximately 3:09pm you can see a white male who is standing near the front of the bus remove a mask from his jacket pocket and put it on his face. .. The mask is white with some type of black pattern on it.
(Man is wearing dark colored tank top shirt.)
His non-mask photos have been shown to the friends and family of suspect Roberts and no one recognizes him as a friend of Roberts'.
(Interestingly, they did not show the photos to the many witnesses at the mall.)
TEASER-12-36981-WEB.jpg

Section 8 pg 103 of 119
Det Kraus: (witness Baggenstos)He told me he had seen a man on the bus who was carrying a black back(pack) and when got off the bus at the mall he had placed a black mask over his face and then entered the mall. ....a few minutes later the shooting started. ...The man, whom he estimated as being 15 or 16 years old was playing with the mask while he rode the bus. The man had on a 'lot of makeup' and looks Goth. ...The man put the mask on before entering the mall and then 'strolled into the mall.' ... a short time later the shooting began.

And there were other suspects seen outside or inside the mall:

Section 3 pg11 of 90
Det Voss: Ms. Harter(witness) told me that she saw a guy outside, walking into the mall wearing a white plastic face mask and a black trench coat. Ms. Harter told me that the subjects black or dark brown hair was pulled back into a short pony tail. ...he was not carrying anything....

Section 5 pg95 of 121
Det. Tonkin: LEAGJELD told me... she was leaving around 1510 hours when she saw a man dressed in a black trench coat, wearing black pants with a bandana covering his face.

Section 8 pg48 of 119
Det Jackson: (witness Chism) Jenna told me she arrived at the mall around 3:15pm. She told me her and her friend were near the food court when they saw a person wearing dark clothing and a white hockey mask in front of the bathrooms. She told me that person had a 'high school body frame' and was no taller than 5'7". ...he did not have a weapon. She told me that person was scaring little kids by making monster noises and waving his hands.
(This could not have been Roberts, as he entered the mall with his weapon, ran through the Macy's home furnishing store, and quickly began shooting after exiting the store and entering the mall proper.)

pg78 of 119
Det Kraus: I contacted Sr. Tpr's Kammerman and Bledsoe, who had a young male detained and in flex cuffs. He claimed to be a Sheriff's Office Cadet who had been called to the scene. His story and actions were very suspicious, considering the current situation at the mall. A Clackamas County Sheriff's Office Lieutenant arrived and determined he was not a Cadet and asked me to transport the person to the CP...

Section 5 pg95 of 121
Det. Tonkin: BOSTROM told me that she was working at the Barnes and Noble store inside the Town Center and about 1 hour before the shooting, she saw a man in the store with a handgun in a holster on his waist.
Police were unable to identify any of these other suspects, or if they did the interviews were not released. Though they had a ready explanation:

Section 4 pg59 of 105
...(On the video taken aboard the bus)...whereas the mask of the rider on the bus had a design on the front of it. ...It was later determined to be mere coincidence that there was a mask-wearing bus rider arriving at the mall within minutes of the active shooter incident taking place.

Others:
Section 2 pg63 of 111
Friend Sean Cates describes Jacobs as a dark skinned male.

Section 6 pg16 of 75
Witness Michaelis: "She thought he(gunman) looked really pale and mentioned she is very fair skinned and he was paler than her."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back