**Q&A ONLY** Ask the MODERATORS your Forum Questions **NO DISCUSSION**

Status
Not open for further replies.
What social media sites are we not allowed to post?
I've been reading through the Alexis Murphy disappearance threads and have noticed that "*******" keeps coming up on almost every page, sometimes with a link (but it's broken due to the asterisks).

Hi Bark,

If a link comes up with ********** that means its not allowed here. Not linked to or discussed.

Social media sites don't come up with ******'s and it depends on the case but here are the general rules on Social media.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Rules...
Rules Etiquette & Information - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Just to add to Imamaze's post ~

There are different reasons why we don't allow links to sites. Some of them are requests from the site owners. Sometimes it's as simple as an advertising conflict.

Hi. I have two questions.

A few times I've requested that a 'waiting for trial' case be moved to the 'active trial' category. One time I alerted on the red triangle and wrote a note (for the media thread of an active trial (Toni Keller). I discovered later that the regular thread had already been moved over to trials but the media thread was left behind).

The most recent is the thread of Allan Kustok out of Illinois. For that one I looked for a mod who was listed and emailed (the choice that came up) a change request. The thread may have been moved now (I haven't looked today). If not, what is the best method for alerting on this issue?

The second issue pertains to my 'thanks' sticking. I can only use 'thanks' two or three times at most. It stops working and I have to refresh which sometimes takes forever. Therefore, even though I'm reading all the posts, I sometimes refrain from using 'thanks' just to get through a thread.
This problem has been going on for a long time now and I can't figure out why the feature keeps freezing up. It's taking me forever to read through a thread!

Any insight is appreciated. 'Thanks!'

Yes, alerting is the best way to have a thread moved to a correct location. Sometimes it takes awhile because the mods are busy with other priorities.

As for the Thanks Button, I'll have to find out. I have no idea why that's happening to you.

Thank you(s) for answering my questions, now for another:
What is Websleuth's stance on piracy? For example, if I wanted to share an electronic textbook that I bought to other members for free, would that be against the TOS? (Sorry, I'm very lazy and haven't read it despite all my current infractions).

I mean, to put in an analogy, if our community was a neighborhood, I would gladly lend any of my physical textbooks to our neighbors who are interested in reading them. Now because we are an online community rather than a physical community, does sharing eTextbooks suddenly becomes wrong?

Thank you(s) for answering my questions, now for another:
What is Websleuth's stance on piracy? For example, if I wanted to share an electronic textbook that I bought to other members for free, would that be against the TOS? (Sorry, I'm very lazy and haven't read it despite all my current infractions).

I mean, to put in an analogy, if our community was a neighborhood, I would gladly lend any of my physical textbooks to our neighbors who are interested in reading them. Now because we are an online community rather than a physical community, does sharing eTextbooks suddenly becomes wrong?

There should be a copyright disclosure available with the ebook. We adhere to all copyright laws, as well as expect others to adhere to our own.

The "thanks button" is a java script. Make sure your java is up-to-date and your thanks button should perform more efficiently. :)

Hi,
I'm new here. I am wondering why some basic features are not working for me? For example, I cannot search, when I do, it says I do not have access to that? Also, when I click, Quick Links and Today's Posts I get the same thing...don't have access. Is something not working properly?

Are you logged in? boring but...You have to log in to access other threads. hth. Make sure you click the "keep me logged in" box too next to your login screen name and password otherwise, not logged in you won't have access to some pictures or links. hth Other than that, I don't know the current rules for new posters. It use to be something like 50 posts or so?, hth too.

How are these designations different? I see three ways to describe someone who is found alive - the yellow Found Safe, the purple Found Alive, and the black and white recovered/located.

What is the difference in these three designations?

Thanks -

Hi JeannaT!

When I am changing the titles, I use this reasoning:

The article says LOCATED only. = RECOVERED/LOCATED. This is also used when we are notified by NCMEC that a child has been found. The notice says the child is RECOVERED.

The article says FOUND SAFE or like words (found, and returned home, etc) = FOUND SAFE

The article says FOUND, but injured or like words = FOUND ALIVE (I also use FOUND ALIVE if someone is found in jail, arrested. :( )

Hi. I'm just wondering...there is a particular poster who has a really long signature and location description, and it regularly blows the margins of any thread they post on, making it next to impossible for me to read the thread, being that I only ever read on my mobile device.

I nicely pointed this out to the poster on one thread, and my post was removed.

Is there nothing that can be done about this? I'm sure if the poster was aware of what was happening, they would be happy to change their signature.

Questions concerning other members always need to be addressed in private. I am sending you a private message.

Hi,
Is there a forum for locating lost family members? TIA

The only threads we allow are for missing persons that are either in the mainstream media or if a police case number for a missing person is provided to staff. We do not function as a people locator here, no.

The only threads we allow are for missing persons that are either in the mainstream media or if a police case number for a missing person is provided to staff. We do not function as a people locator here, no.

I guess I should have phrased my question better. I meant if there was a thread for discussing lost family members. I see forums for different random subjects, and, thought maybe there was one. Got it. Thanks.

I guess I should have phrased my question better. I meant if there was a thread for discussing lost family members. I see forums for different random subjects, and, thought maybe there was one. Got it. Thanks.

All that is required is at least one of the criteria I mentioned above.

For example, if a family member hasn't been seen in 20 years and there is a police case number, it would be listed in the 1990s missing area. I hope that helps!

Before the WS change-over a few weeks ago, I was able to tell which posts in a thread I had not already viewed because the little square in the top left corner of each post would be bright red/orange. The posts I had already read would be blue/grey.

Since the change, no posts ever show up with the red/orange indicator box, they all show the blue/grey box as if I have read them before. Is there anything I can do about this?

Hope this question makes sense.

Hi all!

I am new to WS and pretty excited to be here.

One of the reasons I joined is because I noticed a missing person from the 70s and a Jane Doe have similar characteristics and was missing/found within an hour from each other. I am by no means an expert, just an observer. Where would I post that? What would I do IRL?

Thanks!

Hi laughin!

If it were me I would post the Jane Doe in the missing person from the 70's.

Welcome to Websleuths!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member