IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE really confuses me on this case. We don't have access to all the POIs cell phone records, but LE does. So LE should know if JW got any phone calls, if JR got any phone calls, if JW was calling anyone, if JR was calling anyone, if any of the POIs were exhibiting unusual calling patterns, yet LE seem to have no idea what had happened to LS.

My understanding is that LE would need warrants to access phone records or the account holders turning them over.

Lots of people have been asking that...I have mutual friends with my roommates but sometimes I don't have their number despite knowing them for a couple of years. Sometimes due to changing my phone/losing my phone and not getting the numbers transferred correctly. Let's say my friend's name is Adam and my roommate Sarah and I are both friends with him...but she's closer to Adam than I am and she is normally the one who texts him to see if he wants to hang out/go out/come over...so I've never felt the need to store his number. Could be that JR was much closer to LS so he never put HT's number in his phone?

Or maybe if LS called like HT said that JR told her, JR didn't have HT's number in his phone but did have DR's number. LS maybe not have known HT's number because it was stored in her phone. Either way, it could be the person calling DR was looking to talk to HT.

@Btown
I would give those photos to police to look at,I am sure they don't have all the layout you have which is amazing by the way.It might help them.Pictures do tell a story.

Exactly!!! Why didn't she call her roommate HT? HT stated that she was with LS earlier in the evening and went home at 12:30, IIRC.

My thinking is that we know HT had class the following day so maybe LS didnt want to wake her up at 4 something am?

I don't know if it's okay to mention these things (if not would a mod please delete) but here are a couple of tidbits:

Today I went by the alley/5 North/Smallwood and there were guys in military uniforms literally on their hands and knees going through the grass.

The other day I was part of the later search party and we were told specifically to look for jewelry items.

While I was handing out fliers I was stopped by a couple of homeless guys. They told me that they also had heard a girl scream around 4:15 am as they were walking to the woods behind the ReStore (this is almost directly across 11th from 5 North apartments). They aren't the ones who are mentioned in the Herald-Times article, although both said they've given statements to the police.

They also said that some other homeless people saw LS with a group of men on the Hill. The Hill (there's an actual name for the apartment complex but I can't remember what it is) is a public housing complex not far from 5 North (it's further away from downtown on 11th street). It's pretty rough for Bloomington's standards and there are a lot of drugs in that area.

Now, I'll state here that this makes no sense to me. Talk about different worlds, but I'll throw it out there because it's what these guys told me.

These guys--and, apparently, the homeless population--think that LS is the victim of a stranger abduction and that she won't be found.

When I searched Sunday I rewalked her route with WS in mind since most of you can't actually be here. The beginning of the alley is really uneven and it would be awful to try to navigate drunk, in the dark, with no shoes. There is gravel everywhere. It starts at the parking garage under Smallwood and ends at 5 North. Once you get between the apartment building between the two (I can't remember its name but you walk by its pool and dumpster) it becomes smoother, narrows (before it is 'open' on either side--there's a parking lot, someone's back yard, construction gravel lot) so that there are walls on either side, and there are cameras.

If one of the guys from 5 North wanted to get their car to move her body they would have to be on camera unless they weren't parked at the complex (which doesn't make any sense, as downtown parking is ridiculous).

CR/MB and JR's apartments are facing 11th street. They literally open their front doors to the sidewalk and then 11th is right there on the other side of the sidewalk. There's no grass median or anything. Both have LS missing posters on their windows and doors. The westbound lane of 11th street was closed when LS disappeared (it's all closed now because of construction) so only eastbound traffic could go that way. Directly across the street is the skeleton of a new apartment building, then to the west is a grass field, an abandoned car dealership, and the ReStore. Behind all of that is the woods and railroad tracks where many of the homeless people sleep.

*If* a stranger grabbed LS it would have been easiest to do between JR's apartment and College. It's dark, there would have been no cars coming from the opposite direction, and it's not a terribly busy street compared to some other cross streets. Of course, JR said he saw her go to the corner so...

However, the ground slants some on the way to the corner and I wonder if JR could have really seen her on the corner. I'm only a couple of inches taller than LS and my friend, who stood by JR's door while I walked to the corner, couldn't see me once I got there. Besides, he would have had to have been standing outside because his front door faces 11th street, not College.

Once you get to College there are still no cameras until you get to Salzmann's office, which is at 10th and College (his cameras face his parking lot, though). Cars coming up College would just be coming over a little hill so you wouldn't have been able to see LS, pull over, and grab her unless you were just creeping along looking for someone (and that's not obvious, lol).

Still, there's a little alleyway/driveway between 10th and 11th streets that someone could be waiting at in a vehicle. And once she got to 10th Street there would be room for a car to pull over on College. There's really nowhere she could have ran to if someone came up on her, as there are stores there and all would obviously have been closed.

Even when I got to her block I didn't see any obvious cameras until I got to Smallwood's awning, where there's a bubble camera.

I walked right into Smallwood. A Hinds security guy walked through with his lunch and said hi to me. There's no front desk or anything right there. A girl got on the elevator and I didn't see her use a keycard or anything (which isn't to say there isn't something on the elevator you have to swipe to get it to move) but I didn't want to be any creepier than I probably already was so I left.

Btown, I'm trying to locate JW's frat house on the map, so I can see where he lives in proportion to the other locations. Do you know where it is, and would it be possible for you to add it to the wikimapia?

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/pub/libs/images/usr/4350_h.jpg

According to that picture of the frat house (assuming he lived in the main one and not in an annex house...which is common at my university), his house is at 1412 N. Jordan

Just google mapped it to LS's apartment complex...it said about a 2 mile drive...34 minute walk. Just for reference

I guess, but is it really likely she is in the downtown area, when it is so heavily traveled? I understand the concept but will be shocked if she is found near where she was last seem. Don't like to bring it up, but do we know trash removal days from any of the apartment buildings or for the whole downtown area?

I was thinking those water towers on top of buildings? Saw a movie where the body was hidden in one.

My thinking is that we know HT had class the following day so maybe LS didnt want to wake her up at 4 something am?

I don't know if it's okay to mention these things (if not would a mod please delete) but here are a couple of tidbits:

Today I went by the alley/5 North/Smallwood and there were guys in military uniforms literally on their hands and knees going through the grass.

The other day I was part of the later search party and we were told specifically to look for jewelry items.

While I was handing out fliers I was stopped by a couple of homeless guys. They told me that they also had heard a girl scream around 4:15 am as they were walking to the woods behind the ReStore (this is almost directly across 11th from 5 North apartments). They aren't the ones who are mentioned in the Herald-Times article, although both said they've given statements to the police.

They also said that some other homeless people saw LS with a group of men on the Hill. The Hill (there's an actual name for the apartment complex but I can't remember what it is) is a public housing complex not far from 5 North (it's further away from downtown on 11th street). It's pretty rough for Bloomington's standards and there are a lot of drugs in that area.

Now, I'll state here that this makes no sense to me. Talk about different worlds, but I'll throw it out there because it's what these guys told me.

These guys--and, apparently, the homeless population--think that LS is the victim of a stranger abduction and that she won't be found.

When I searched Sunday I rewalked her route with WS in mind since most of you can't actually be here. The beginning of the alley is really uneven and it would be awful to try to navigate drunk, in the dark, with no shoes. There is gravel everywhere. It starts at the parking garage under Smallwood and ends at 5 North. Once you get between the apartment building between the two (I can't remember its name but you walk by its pool and dumpster) it becomes smoother, narrows (before it is 'open' on either side--there's a parking lot, someone's back yard, construction gravel lot) so that there are walls on either side, and there are cameras.

If one of the guys from 5 North wanted to get their car to move her body they would have to be on camera unless they weren't parked at the complex (which doesn't make any sense, as downtown parking is ridiculous).

CR/MB and JR's apartments are facing 11th street. They literally open their front doors to the sidewalk and then 11th is right there on the other side of the sidewalk. There's no grass median or anything. Both have LS missing posters on their windows and doors. The westbound lane of 11th street was closed when LS disappeared (it's all closed now because of construction) so only eastbound traffic could go that way. Directly across the street is the skeleton of a new apartment building, then to the west is a grass field, an abandoned car dealership, and the ReStore. Behind all of that is the woods and railroad tracks where many of the homeless people sleep.

*If* a stranger grabbed LS it would have been easiest to do between JR's apartment and College. It's dark, there would have been no cars coming from the opposite direction, and it's not a terribly busy street compared to some other cross streets. Of course, JR said he saw her go to the corner so...

However, the ground slants some on the way to the corner and I wonder if JR could have really seen her on the corner. I'm only a couple of inches taller than LS and my friend, who stood by JR's door while I walked to the corner, couldn't see me once I got there. Besides, he would have had to have been standing outside because his front door faces 11th street, not College.

Once you get to College there are still no cameras until you get to Salzmann's office, which is at 10th and College (his cameras face his parking lot, though). Cars coming up College would just be coming over a little hill so you wouldn't have been able to see LS, pull over, and grab her unless you were just creeping along looking for someone (and that's not obvious, lol).

Still, there's a little alleyway/driveway between 10th and 11th streets that someone could be waiting at in a vehicle. And once she got to 10th Street there would be room for a car to pull over on College. There's really nowhere she could have ran to if someone came up on her, as there are stores there and all would obviously have been closed.

Even when I got to her block I didn't see any obvious cameras until I got to Smallwood's awning, where there's a bubble camera.

I walked right into Smallwood. A Hinds security guy walked through with his lunch and said hi to me. There's no front desk or anything right there. A girl got on the elevator and I didn't see her use a keycard or anything (which isn't to say there isn't something on the elevator you have to swipe to get it to move) but I didn't want to be any creepier than I probably already was so I left.

I think you should give this information to LE.

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/pub/libs/images/usr/4350_h.jpg

According to that picture of the frat house (assuming he lived in the main one and not in an annex house...which is common at my university), his house is at 1412 N. Jordan

Just google mapped it to LS's apartment complex...it said about a 2 mile drive...34 minute walk. Just for reference

Originally posted by Bloomington in Thread #2
In RE to cipius: He's in an off-campus Jewish fraternity with no house referred to as APES. Long story short: they were kicked off campus for one reason another when they were known as AEPi. This past year AEPi was started again and will have a house on campus, but none of the existing members of the off-campus fraternity were allowed into the new AEPi and they can no longer refer to themselves as AEPi brothers, so they go by APES.

from what is known from published accounts, this entire group of people were irresponsible and out of control that night. however, by the time Lauren vanished, how many do you think were still awake even, no less prowling around to do her harm while she walked on a public sidewalk?
My honest opinion is that these kids were breaking the law--I believe with alcohol *and* drugs--and trying to keep from incriminating themselves in those crimes (as well as a media that has been quick to jump on a story without proofreading) has led to the different variations of events. I think they're out of control, spoiled party kids...not killers.

I was thinking those water towers on top of buildings? Saw a movie where the body was hidden in one.

I don't know who would have roof access...wouldn't the doors to roofs usually be locked?

O/T....Another little girl was kidnapped this evening while riding her bike 2 hours north of Bloomington in Tipton Ind.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140261"]IN IN - Serena Weicht, 10, Tipton, 14 June 2011 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Does anyone local know how many dumpsters are close by to these locations or when they are emptied?On what day or time?

There are a *lot* of dumpsters (I'd hate to venture a guess of how many) but I don't know how often they are emptied. The City of Bloomington trash route is every Thursday but I don't know if they run more often at those complexes.

I absolutely agree with Ven that this needs to be turned over to LE if it has not already.

The window of opportunity for someone to have happened across her seems nill to me. Like, maybe a few seconds from when she was out of sight of JR and when she got to the little alley way where a car could have been waiting for her.

If any of the POI's vehicles had left their apts though, with all the cameras in the area I just don't see how they've not been named suspects at this point. Maybe CR's car was seen leaving by LE, and that's why they wanted to check it, IDK.

IMO something happened while partying with JR or someone was waiting specifically for her to walk by the alley.

Gosh girl, where are you...what happened?! :banghead:

For the locals,where do these homeless people hang out or stay or do they wander all over.Just wondering how they know so much.

According to the public arrest records, JW address in 9/2010 was on the 600th block of E. 9th street. On Google Maps, it's approx. 12 mins to CR apt.

The 4:15 call was to DR and he lives at Smallwood and it was never answered. HT claims it was LS who made the call and the only one who could have told her that is JR.

So there is a call from JR's phone to DR at 4:15, not answered, don't know if there is a voicemail (doubt it). The person making the call could have been LS, as HT claims (through JR), or it could have come from JR, the owner of the phone. You make the call!

http://www.tonygatto.com

If it was LS, I wonder if she thought he was still awake and she wanted him to come get her or meet her half way? MOO

My understanding is that LE would need warrants to access phone records or the account holders turning them over.

I don't believe so. I think LE can just subpoena the carrier.

For the locals,where do these homeless people hang out or stay or do they wander all over.Just wondering how they know so much.

No disrespect intended, but just stating facts. I have a fair bit of experience volunteering with homeless people (although not in Indiana, I would assume it is similar elsewhere) A large percentage of the homeless population is mentally/psychologically impaired. They also 'gossip' and form opinions/expand on their thoughts/restate as facts just like the rest of us.

I do not think their comments should be thrown out...but I do think they should be taken into account through a filter of fact vs. suspicion--and their overall mental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth