Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
That statment by Curley -- "His achievement as a human being is splendidly demonstrated by the thousands of youngsters he touches annually through The Second Mile -- is about as creepy as it gets. I assume Curley is an intelligent man. It's hard to believe he could have known about the investigation in 98 and used that language.

That literally made me shudder while reading it. If nothing else, it's incredibly insensitive to the victims. :maddening:

Can someone remind me why Barbara Petito had been in the State College/Bellefonte area shortly before that press release about the drug bust (photo showing gricar, corbett and others) in 2005?

I'm cross-posting this on Missing/Gricar thread because I need help with this question from people who may read there but not here.

A lot of these press and PR folks know each other. And, I think, know things that haven't been made public. Petito, formerly AG office's spokesperson, had also headed up reporting on the State College beat for wjactv, and Gary Sinderson was there at the time (and since 1983) and took over that beat sometime after BP left.

Bill Moushey, co-author of the new book Game Over, also did some AP writing (without byline). I just read an AP article out of Johnstown from Jan 2002 where Petito made a statement for AG's office about a non-related fraud case.

And recently Petito surfaced again. Hoping the competitive spirit will get us more investigative reporting.

(BTW, for some reason I'm unable to get my clicks on the thanks button to post, but I'm thanking you guys on my end. Consider yourselves thanked by pinktoes. Another mystery)

Repeating my question: Can someone remind me why Barbara Petito had been in the State College/Bellefonte area shortly before that press release about the drug bust (photo showing gricar, corbett and others) in 2005?

That statment by Curley -- "His achievement as a human being is splendidly demonstrated by the thousands of youngsters he touches annually through The Second Mile -- is about as creepy as it gets. I assume Curley is an intelligent man. It's hard to believe he could have known about the investigation in 98 and used that language.

According to Schultz, he never told Curley about the 1998 (Victim 6). Harmon didn't indicate that he told Curley. Harmon did tell Schultz (I'm not sure he's denying it either).

For 1998, all road lead to Schultz, on campus.

Repeating my question: Can someone remind me why Barbara Petito had been in the State College/Bellefonte area shortly before that press release about the drug bust (photo showing gricar, corbett and others) in 2005?

That is a good question. Until SG's latest article, I had not known they had crossed paths two weeks before.

The announcement was in State College: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=86

The only thing I could figure is that she was part of the press staff with Corbett, possibly because she was familiar with the area.

That is a good question. Until SG's latest article, I had not known they had crossed paths two weeks before.

The announcement was in State College: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=86

The only thing I could figure is that she was part of the press staff with Corbett, possibly because she was familiar with the area.

TY, JJ. I'm so suspicious now, I'm verifying in several places what I read. So far I've found actual press releases authored by Petito into 2005, but not past Ray's disappearance date. Still looking.

Petito does say she was AG's Deputy Press Sec till 2006. That's from her Linked-In, though, and sometimes people give kinda loose dates on that. If all I've seen is correct, she was still in that AG press position past the date gricar disappeared. (Just away at her relative's event during the crucial time).

snip from her Linked-in:

Deputy Press Secretary Public Protection Division
Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

Government Agency; 501-1000 employees; Law Enforcement industry

1997 – 2006 (9 years) Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Area

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/barbara-petito/b/a12/53a

It's interesting that she left the AG's and went to National Center for Missing and Exploited Children for 2 yrs. as media mgr.

TY, JJ. I'm so suspicious now, I'm verifying in several places what I read. So far I've found actual press releases authored by Petito into 2005, but not past Ray's disappearance date. Still looking.

Petito does say she was AG's Deputy Press Sec till 2006. That's from her Linked-In, though, and sometimes people give kinda loose dates on that. If all I've seen is correct, she was still in that AG press position past the date gricar disappeared. (Just away at her relative's event during the crucial time).

snip from her Linked-in:

Deputy Press Secretary Public Protection Division
Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

Government Agency; 501-1000 employees; Law Enforcement industry

1997 – 2006 (9 years) Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Area

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/barbara-petito/b/a12/53a

It's interesting that she left the AG's and went to National Center for Missing and Exploited Children for 2 yrs. as media mgr.

I have, in the past years, seen some media references to her after 4/15/05, but I know that she left about 18 months after the disappearance and went to the next place.

I found two press released she wrote in July 2005. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Orlady/Stuff_I'm_working_on

Here is one from July 2006: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-148243443.html

Here is one from about 3 1/2 weeks after RFG disappeared: http://articles.mcall.com/2005-05-07/news/3606957_1_manson-restitution-unclaimed-freight

I think it would be far better to discuss anything about Ms. Petito on the Gricar thread, since she not involved in the Sandusky case.

Sandusky lawyer called improper

By Paula Reed Ward / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The lead prosecutor in the case against former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky filed an unusual motion in Centre County Court Friday, accusing the defense of improperly using subpoenas and violating an order that protects the names of the alleged victims in the case.

Senior Deputy Attorney General Joseph McGettigan accused defense attorney Joseph Amendola of revealing the names of people known in court records as "Victims 1 through 10 in a number of subpoenas he's served, including to the Pennsylvania State Police, a Clinton County school district and the Penn State University police."

The remainder of the article can be read at

www.postgazette.com

More from the Post Gazette article written by Paula Reed Ward 4/28/12.

Senior Judge John M. Cleland previously issued an order directing that
the names of the victims identified in the two grand jury presentments against Mr. Sandusky "shall remain protected under the seal of the court and may not be disclosed by any person, except pursuant to court order or other authorization of the court."

According to the March 13 order, subpoenas must include with them a notice, in all capital letters and at least 18-point font the following:

"The name or any identifying information of the person for whom the records or other information is sought is protected by the seal of the court. Under potential penalty of contempt of court, the person's name or identifying information may not be disclosed to any person except as required to comply with this subpoena."

According to the attorney general's motion, Mr. Amendola complied with providing the required notice, yet still included the names of the victims in either the body of the subpoena, in attachments or in cover letters.

"The commonwealth need not underscore to this honorable court the spectacular irresponsibility of treating secret information in that fashion," Mr. McGettigan wrote.

He alleges that the way Mr. Amendola handled his subpoena power is "manifestly improper."

Again the article continues www.postgazette.com today 4/18/12

http://espn.go.com/college-football...cts-defense-subpoena-use-jerry-sandusky-trial

I'd like to see any answer to this question:
"The defense lawyer also subpoenaed Steve Shelow, director of Penn State University Police Services, for various records pertaining to eight of Sandusky's 10 alleged victims.

He also asked Shelow for audio and video recordings made during a 1998 investigation that began when a mother complained that her son had showered with Sandusky. Amendola's letter to Shelow said the '98 investigation had been reclassified from an "incident investigation" to an "administrative file," and the defense wants to know who made that decision.
Amendola asked Shelow for directives from Penn State's board, president or other officials "that mandated/directed the 1998 Sandusky investigation be handled in any particular manner/fashion by the PSU police department." The 1998 investigation was closed without charges being filed, but the boy in that matter is one of the alleged victims in the current case."

How long are old investigation files normally kept?

WJAC-TV from Johnstown spoke with Ben Novak, who was on the PSU Board of Trustees from 1988-2000, and is currently running again. He said that Sandusky's predilections were pretty well-known as far back as the early 90's, saying (paraphrased) "Everybody knew to keep your boys away from Jerry Sandusky."

He was most critical of Shultz and Spanier, observing that the law was clear to report up the chain of command to the head of the institution, and noted that was where everything stopped.

I wish I had a link, but the website doesn't have anything related to the interview, which aired at 5 and 6 this evening. If I find any supporting links, I will be sure to post them.

WJAC-TV from Johnstown spoke with Ben Novak, who was on the PSU Board of Trustees from 1988-2000, and is currently running again. He said that Sandusky's predilections were pretty well-known as far back as the early 90's, saying (paraphrased) "Everybody knew to keep your boys away from Jerry Sandusky."

He was most critical of Shultz and Spanier, observing that the law was clear to report up the chain of command to the head of the institution, and noted that was where everything stopped.

I wish I had a link, but the website doesn't have anything related to the interview, which aired at 5 and 6 this evening. If I find any supporting links, I will be sure to post them.

I am not surprised by that. I have wondered if his adopted and foster children are victims as well.

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/news/former-penn-state-trustee-speaks-out/nNQ94/

I am not surprised by that. I have wondered if his adopted and foster children are victims as well.

HMSHood, that is a scary question but one that should be asked. I would suppose and hope officials have interviewed these children who are linked to Sandusky through adoption or foster care.

Who knows, there may be other charges coming on, or perhaps one or more among the 10 boys sited already, are his children or foster children. I can say if any of them are identified that way in court during his trial, it will be absolutely tragic. It's bad enough that children from Second Mile were vicitms. But imagine those who lived in the same household not being able to get away from him.

The more I hear, the sicker it gets. And, I personally know Jerry Sandusky.

JMO

Hear is an article looking at Amendola's defense strategy: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/04/3185127/amendola-looks-to-call-out-accusers.html

Basically, it is to hit the victims and say that there is a conspiracy.

Victims 1, 2, and 6 are not really subject to this.

Victim 1: Younger, not too connected to people in the 1990-2000 period. While no witnesses to the rape, there were witnesses to Sandusky's behavior around him. Reported contemporaneously.

Victim 2: Independent witness, McQueary, reported contemporaneously. No victim.

Victim 6: Reported contemporaneously. Multiple witnesses to Sandusky's admission. Not rape.

And that assumes that Amendola is successful in attacking all the other victim's credibility.

Court documents indicate there may be 17 victims in total: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/04/3186052/sandusky-defense-filing-mentions.html

We knew of one from the grand jury report, B. K. He was associated with Victim 6, but he could not testify as he was in the military and out of the country.

From your link:

In the motion, Amendola asks for the names and additional details of accusers who have been identified as number 11 through 17, as well as those who are numbers 18 and beyond.

Amendola will blow a gasket trying to find out who all of these new victims are, LOL.....my answer, ask Jerry and Dottie....wonder if JS will give it up and want a deal since the victims keep increasing....what is his limit? 20? 50? I am really hoping he will and none of them will have to testify....

Amendola will blow a gasket trying to find out who all of these new victims are, LOL.....my answer, ask Jerry and Dottie....wonder if JS will give it up and want a deal since the victims keep increasing....what is his limit? 20? 50? I am really hoping he will and none of them will have to testify....

I should have said, "at least."
:(

It will be difficult to say that 14 are lying.

I should have said, "at least."
:(

It will be difficult to say that 14 are lying.

No prob....:smile: thanks for the article...I haven't been keeping up lately...

Well, even tho it will make a better case for the state, it's sad to see that we were right....there are more victims out there...and these are just the ones that are willing to come forward and testify.

Yes, it will be difficult to say all these people are lying or in a conspiracy against JS....and even tho I do wish they didn't have to testify, in a way I want JS and Dottie to have to sit there and be shamed and humiliated by the horrible accounts of his crimes. I'm torn.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3bell4010066bppts