EG - Bloodshed feared as military coup underway; Morsi reported under house arrest

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Very fluid situation right now.

Top Morsi adviser says 'coup' underway, fears bloodshed. (USA Today)
CAIRO — President Mohammed Morsi's national security adviser said Wednesday that a "coup" was underway after the president again refused to heed demands by the military to resign.

Morsi called on the army not to "take sides" in the growing clash between rival political groups.
---
much more at the links

Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi under house arrest - Al Hayat TV. (abclocal.go.com)
CAIRO (KABC) -- Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi is reportedly under house arrest after the military ultimatum expired Wednesday, reports Al Hayat TV.

Morsi's spokesman denied the report, according to ABC News, but word of the house arrest provoked cheers in Tahrir Square.

This comes as Egypt's military moved to tighten its control on key institutions before their afternoon ultimatum expired.
---

History in the making.

No one deserves to be ruled by a theocracy dictatorship.

NBC News ‏@NBCNews 4m LIVE VIDEO: Celebrations in Tahrir Square following military's announcement that Morsi has been ousted as President http://nbcnews.to/13lo6KH

CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 3m Gen. Abdel-Fatah El-Sisi: Morsy ousted because "he did not achieve the goals of the people." http://on.cnn.com/16P1BL8

CBS Philly ‏@CBSPhilly 6m RT @CBSNews BREAKING NEWS: Egypt's military replaces President Morsi with chief justice of constitutional court, suspends constitution.

Bloomberg News ‏@BloombergNews 41s More bloodshed in Egypt "inevitable," says former U.S. official | http://bloom.bg/17TGr35

Wow. Just oh wow. I will be watching this.

Best-
Herding Cats

CNN reporting Obama in WH urgent huddle with Pentagon and CIA chiefs.

I hope we let the Egyptian people decide their own fate, without trying to influence things to benefit US "interests" (which are rarely in the interest of the average American, anyway). I was very moved by this picture, purportedly from Egypt:

10cYw3l.jpg

Look up "U.S. Foreign Aid". For many, many years Egypt was second (behind Israel) in receipt of our Foreign Aid money. Billions per year. With a B.

Who's going to receive all of that money now, I wonder? I guess Mr. Obama is wondering also.

Addressing tens of thousands of supporters outside the mosque Friday evening, Mohammed Badie, the supreme guide of the Muslim Brotherhood, called for an end to “the military coup” and demanded that the armed forces return Morsi to power.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...73378c-e62a-11e2-80eb-3145e2994a55_story.html

Many in the pro-Morsi crowd waved the red, white and black Egyptian flag, just as thousands of anti-Morsi protesters had done Wednesday before the military forced the president from power. To the right of the stage, the black flag with white lettering used by the extremist group al-Qaeda and its affiliate Jabhat al-Nusra, which is fighting alongside Syrian rebels against President Bashar al-Assad, was clearly visible.
“We offer our blood in the place of Muslims and their honor,” stated the Web posting, a translation of which was provided by Site Intelligence Group, a nonprofit organization that monitors jihadist Web sites. The group rejected democracy as anti-Islamic and called on Egyptian Muslims to “truly rise against everyone who stands in the path of implementation of the Sharia,” or Islamic law. It singled out Egypt’s Christian minority for responsibility for the coup.

bbm, Sharia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heh, given that Christians make up barely ten percent of Egypts population, I'm a bit doubtful of that claim that they're responsible for the coup. :rolleyes:

We have seen plenty of proof in the past of Muslims and Christians working together in the Egyptian protests. The brotherhood can croak out its message all it likes, but I think the majority of the public - both Muslim and Christian - has shown it is clearly in favor of secularism.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back