WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue here.

There is to be no discussion of sexual molestation. That is over the top. Period.

Thread 11

Thanks to pufnstuf for compiling this list of Mackenzie Cowell threads:

Thread 10

Thread 9

Thread 8

Thread 7

Thread 6

Thread 5

Thread 4

Thread 3

Thread 2

Thread 1

Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version

We have a detailed, formal Terms of Service (TOS) posted separately, and that TOS is what you will be held to as a member here. It's long and detailed because it has to be in the world we live in, and you are expected to read it, understand it and abide by it. However, we can sum it up as follows:

1) Be a decent human being;
2) Treat your fellow posters as the decent human beings they are;
3) Keep in mind that whatever you post will likely live on forever, so think before you press "Submit Reply".
4) It's a big world. People will disagree with you. You will disagree with them. This can be done with respect, and that's what we expect.

Some specifics about being “a decent human being”:

Being rude to our new posters or any poster for that matter, is against our TOS. If they ask a question you think has already been discussed, just pass on by it. Do not tell them to get up to speed before posting. That is rude and against our TOS.

Do not drag any innocent persons--such as JF's relatives--into this discussion, and certainly do not post personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc) of innocent parties.

Do not post about other WS members, whether or not they are present. Do not post about why or why not they are present. That is called gossip, and we don’t do that at WS. It’s rude.

It is against TOS to try to guess or sleuth the identity of another poster at WS.

There is to be absolutely no discussion here at WS of the details of MC's parents' divorce.

It's ok to go ahead and post rumors, but two things:

1. You must clearly label them as rumors. All posts that do not include facts should include the words speculation, theory or rumor.

2. They must not be so wildly outlandish that they are unbelievable.

We do not discuss minors, and in this particular case, we do not discuss poetry.

Links to social networking sites are allowed, but WS does not allow direct quotes or cut and pastes from them.

Please do not link to minors' pages.

If anyone has a problem with a post, please alert us to it using the alert button in the top right corner of each post. You will see a triangle with an exclamation mark in it there. Do not respond to a problematic post. That only compounds the problem and creates more work for the mods. Hit the alert button instead.

You are all experienced enough posters by now to abide by these rules. Please don't make us give more timeouts.

The complete TOS can be found here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Please read and follow them.

Thank you.

In looking at the You Tube video, the car doesn't look like a Honda Civic to me. On another note regarding JV, working in retail you don't always have a set schedule. We don't know that he really got off at 4. Maybe he left at 4 and his quitting time wasn't until later? Nobody has been able to verify that his shift ended at 4 or that he really left at 4 that day. I really hope he didn't do this. When MC initially went missing my first thought regarding who could have done this were her bf and then I wondered if mom had an ex bf or current bf. I heard the Tacoma boy(s) rumor as well. Every time I try to think of it being related to that or gangs, I still come back to someone who knew her and more than an aquaintance. This all happened during the day and every time I have been at Riverfront Park there has been people around, so if there was a struggle there, it's my opinion somebody would have noticed. It just seems like it would have to be someone she went with willingly IMO.

Quoted from the Manson Tribune:

"One way of dealing with the grief and frustration of loosing someone you know is to try and understand what and why makes it all come about."

The only thing I would disagree with this statement is that you don't have to know someone to empathize with the intentional, unprovoked, violent death of a teenager to want to help...that is our humanity, our compassion, our quest to help bring peace to the family and friends who did know Mackenzie. And to try everything we can to prevent this person(s) from ever doing this again. Step back and look how this one violent act has affected Wenatchee...even people who did not know Mackenzie are affected. How many parents are holding their children closer (to the point of smothering them) to prevent this from happening to their child.

Just realized I posted this on the previous thread after this new one was started. So... I'll re-post:

For those of you interested, here is a link to current CB water levels: http://www.gcpud.org/resources/resRe...escent_Bar.jpg Gives you an idea of how much the water level can fluctuate, and why MC's feet being in the water of the river and/or stream may/may not be of great importance. I am sure LE has the records for the times/dates in question.

Quoted from the Manson Tribune:

"Even though an amateur may slow an investigation with uncoordinated information, the chance of finding something that law enforcement hasn't is a possibility"

Respectfully, I again, disagree. The beginning of any investigation depends on reliable leads. Too, many times I have heard LE say that they don't have any good leads.

And not to put blame on LE efforts but according to FBI stats, a little over half (60%) of violent crimes (rape, murder, assault) are solved. I'm sorry, this is not acceptable. The world has changed and LE needs to embrace the utilization of all resources at their disposal (WS, internet). We are in a real-time world now. In my job I talk with employees in four international time zones every morning and evening. It's here to stay and it is never going back. With just the last week alone, how many townships have announced severe cutbacks in LE because tax revenues can't support them. Excuse the cliche but in times like this...more heads are better than one".

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/offenses/clearances/index.html

Ok, I'm apologize, I'm getting off the soapbox. Make this a great day everyone...for those that cannot.

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but it just seems like every day gone by is another day lost in this case. :Justice: I wouldn't be surprised if the perp(s) are sitting back smuggly thinking they've got this one in the bag. Eww, ish..sorry - no pun intended. :crossfingers: I hope and I pray that LE has the upper hand here and they are just doing a good job keeping it under wraps.
:ziplip:

Thanks to all for the comments above. I also believe we can use new technology better for good purposes. I just googled "Amber Alert App", out of curiosity to see if there is that app for the iPhone... and there is! I don't know why internet and cable providers as well don't have these alarms coming to people's devices and TV's immediately in a geographic area. We get our content delivered with a billion ads for junk we'll never buy... so why not a small pic of a missing child... if the milk carton companies do it then why can't these billion dollar IT companies do it?

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but it just seems like every day gone by is another day lost in this case. :Justice: I wouldn't be surprised if the perp(s) are sitting back smuggly thinking they've got this one in the bag. Eww, ish..sorry - no pun intended. :crossfingers: I hope and I pray that LE has the upper hand here and they are just doing a good job keeping it under wraps.
:ziplip:

I agree with you regarding the perp thinking they got away with this. I have to believe the LE have a lot of information and are working on putting it all together. I personally know one person whose dad is in LE and initially he was involved, although I don't know if he still is. I haven't wanted to ask her anything as the last time anything was mentioned it was her dad hasn't said anything in front of the family. I personally appreciate that he isn't talking as this is how things are getting leaked. My gut tells me they have an idea who did this, but are waiting on all the evidence to return that will make this case "slam-dunk" and 100% positive the perp can't get out of it. I know it's what we all want. It's my opinion once the perp realizes he/she is backed into a corner they will do something drastic (i.e. try to run and/or possibly commit suicide) to avoid what is to come.

Thanks for the new thread, Hoppy!

MACKENZIE COWELL TIMELINE
Confirmed Info Only - No Rumors​

09 February 2010 (Tuesday):

3:01 PM - Mackenzie leaves the Academy of Hair Design where she works, gets in her car, and drives away. She is supposed to only be gone for a fifteen-minute break, according to flyers being posted at businesses in Wenatchee, but she never returns.

3:40 PM - Mackenzie's phone data indicate that her phone is at/near the Riverfront Park boat ramp. While there, the phone receives an incoming text ("hey") and replies with the same message ("hey").

5:42 PM - A cell tower bounces a signal off of MacKenzie's phone. This is the final activity on McKenzie's phone. Location has not been released by investigators.

8:02 PM - Residents report to Rivercom finding a 1997 red Pontiac Grand Prix in Squilchuck area, 2395 Pitcher Canyon Road, parked near a cattle gate, and they tell deputies the car had been there for the previous hour. LE uses the registration info on the car to identify Reid Cowell as the owner, who confirms that his daughter has been out past curfew. One set of foot prints led away from the locked car toward road asphalt. "Somebody got the car there and parked it without anybody knowing about it.” Mackenzie's purse was inside the car, but her cell phone, debit card with $20 on it, and gas card were missing. Initially, Washington State Crime Lab processed the car, but found no indication of anything unusual, and computers at both parents' residences were checked with nothing unusual found. Later, local press says that some evidence has been discovered in the car and sent to the State Crime Lab.

11 February 2010 (Thursday):

FBI Child Abduction Rapid Deployment agents arrive Thursday afternoon to aid in the search for Mackenzie.

12 February 2010 (Friday):

Investigators fax warrants to Facebook, Myspace, and Verizon. A team of 10 detectives search the Pitcher Canyon area and interview and re-interviewing all of Mackenzie's friends and family. Mackenzie's mother and the mother's boyfriend are also being interviewed by the FBI.

13 February 2010 (Saturday):

Mackenzie's body is found near the Columbia River at 156 Crescent Bar Road just inside Douglas County by someone walking along the beach. She was fully clothed and her feet were in the water. The Chelan County Sheriff's spokesman said "It appears she was put there by someone....We've got to find this monster. Anybody who is willing to take a child and commit a crime with that child is a monster." Investigators find evidence of homicide at the scene and inside the vacant home. FBI profilers arrive late Saturday to assist with the investigation.

15 February 2010 (Monday):

A task force made up of local law enforcement and FBI is formed to investigate circumstances surrounding Mackenzie's death. Mackenzie's mother tells NWCN (see video) that she's been instructed by investigators not to discuss the investigation with media.

16 February 2010 (Tuesday):

An autopsy performed by Dr. Gina Fino and witnessed by Dr Steve Clem, Douglas County prosecutor and coroner, and a State Patrol Crime Laboratory’s forensics team confirms that the body is that of Mackenzie Cowell. The autopsy also revealed that her death was a homicide, but the cause of death has not yet been released. Autopsy results will not be released until the person responsible is identified and charged.

Investigators ask that anyone who might have seen someone walking out of Pitcher Canyon on South Methow Street or Squilchuck Highway between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 9, call the tip line. Captain Jones of the task force looking into 17-year-old Mackenzie Cowell's death said the person who left Cowell's car in the canyon where it was later found likely walked on one of those two roads afterward.

18 February 2010 (Thursday):

Investigators released video footage of the last known sighting of homicide victim Mackenzie Cowell in a Wenatchee-owned parking lot in the hope that someone saw the teenager or her red 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix.

As law enforcement officials advise women to walk in pairs and be more aware of their surroundings, local gun stores report a spike in sales of tasers, mace, and handguns.

22 February 2010 (Monday):

1:36 AM - Someone at Mackenzie's mother's residence calls 911 to report "harassment/threat."

Police scale back task force and await DNA and fingerprint results from state crime lab. Evidence was collected from the Crescent Bar location and from Mackenzie's car. Wenatchee Police Sgt. Cherie Smith said, "But we still don’t know where she was killed,” Smith said. “So we may have another crime scene at some point.”

25 February 2010 (Thursday):

Memorial service is held for Mackenzie Cowell at Wenatchee Town Toyota Center. 1800 people attend. Mackenzie is remembered as "a bright, energetic girl who endured heartless teasing through much of her adolescence because of an underbite. She persevered, however, eventually becoming prom queen." Mackenzie's mother, maternal grandfather, father, father's fiance, two brothers, and boyfriend attend the memorial. Noticeably absent is Mackenzie's mother's boyfriend. Mackenzie's brother Trevor made the family's first statement to the media: "It's incredible. It meant the world to me because we all loved her. And that's what this all shows is how much everybody loves her."

26 February 2010 (Friday):

Task force states that cell phone data places Mackenzie Cowell’s phone near a Wenatchee boat launch on Feb. 9, the day she disappeared.

01 March 2010 (Monday):

The Cowell Task Force believes that Mackenzie's phone is a key piece of evidence and asks the public to call the tip line if it is found. The phone is a maroon LG EnV2.

03 March 2010 (Wednesday):

A local task force continues to work full-time on the Mackenzie Cowell murder case. Chelan County has four deputies and two administrative assistants assigned to the task force. Douglas County has four detectives, Wenatchee Police has three officers and East Wenatchee police has one officer assigned to the case. The FBI, U.S. Marshal’s Office and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement are assisting the Cowell Task Force.

05 March 2010 (Friday):

Local businesspeople unite and announce the creation of a new reward fund to help find Mackenzie's killer. The group, Wenatchee Valley Citizens Against Crime, has pledged $38000 to be added to the existing $7000 reward fund in the event that someone provides a tip that leads to a conviction of Mackenzie's murderer. “This case broke the camel’s back. For this one, we said, ‘Enough is enough. We want this valley to be a safe place.'"

12 March 2010 (Friday) :

Against the wishes of the Cowell Task Force, the Wenatchee World publishes Mackenzie's cause of death which was on the death certificate. The World withheld the cause of death for two weeks in accordance with the task force's wishes, but today published the information, as they've always published death certificate information related to murders and saw no reason to make an exception in this case.

Though the task force is tight-lipped in response to the World reporter's many questions about the circumstances of Mackenzie's death, several details emerge. Eight lie detector tests have been administered, though the task force refuses to say to whom. Numerous properties have been searched, though the task force will not identify them. Most important, the task force has not yet found the site where Mackenzie was killed.

15 March 2010 (Sunday):

Wenatchee World article about Crimestoppers Reward Fund. The husband and father of Jack Owen Spillman III's victims has donated a substantial amount to the reward fund. Coincidentally, Wendy Cowell's boyfriend JF lived in the same home as JOS when he was arrested. JF's first wife was JOS's sister.

CLICK HERE to see a map of points of interest in the Mackenzie Cowell investigation.

WHO'S WHO IN THE MACKENZIE COWELL MURDER INVESTIGATION:

MC - Mackenzie Nicole Cowell; decedant. 17 years old. Attended Wenatchee High School and Academy of Hair Design. Dancer with the Apple-ettes. Also took dance lessons and worked out at Gold's Gym.
WC - Wendy Cowell. Mackenzie Cowell's mother; real estate agent and home builder; divorced from RC since 2001, now dating JF.
RC - Reid Cowell. Mackenzie Cowell's father; construction industry; divorced from WC since 2001, now dating SF.
JF - Mackenzie's mother's boyfriend; construction industry; rumored to have been living with WC while married to/separated from another woman; was a witness in the trial of infamous murderer Jack Owen Spillman III; was married to JOS's sister at the time of JOS's arrest for the gruesome murders of a mother and daughter.
SF - Mackenzie's father's fiancee. (She is in no way related to JF.)
JV - Mackenzie's 21-year-old boyfriend, though Mackenzie is rumored to have broken up with him recently to date a guy from Tacoma.

This timeline is a work in progress. If you have information to add to it or corrections to note, please PM me with the addition/correction and source link. I don't use Examiner as a source, because, quite frankly, our work is more investigative than the Examiner, and based on the same sources. Corrections may not appear until the next posting of the timeline, which I always try to insert on page 1 of any new thread about Mackenzie. Thanks for the teamwork in making this timeline a primary guide to the MC case!

The task force may know who did this, but they may not have enough evidence to charge the person and for the DA to take it to a grand jury for an indictment.

What good would it do to arrest the person without good evidence (even circumstantial)?

I really truly think that they are waiting on the crime lab to give them some results before they arrest and charge.

On another note... Crescent Bar residents will have to leave the island when their leases expire in 2012. I bet the property value at 156 Crescent Bar Road just went up.

Who were the painters and drywallers that worked on the CB property?

Just an FYI, On my lunch today I was at the Wenatchee Target and there are signs in the parking lot that it is being monitored by video surveillance.

I dont know how to carry over from previous thread but pepsi was talking about some past killings in wenatchee and I found this. pepsi's post was # 731 on page 30. interesting
http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2009/dec/17/more-bush-victims-wenatchee-detective-asks-fbi-to/

While I don’t think this applies to the MC case, here is something interesting I found; this could be related in a way I guess?

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/108666_missingday18.shtml

This is part 2 of a series published by the Seattle PI.

Hi everyone. When was it known anywhere (earliest date) that MC was stabbed and strangled?

Because I found some guy on the internet who is saying it on 2/19/10

12 March 2010 (Friday) :

Against the wishes of the Cowell Task Force, the Wenatchee World publishes Mackenzie's cause of death which was on the death certificate. The World withheld the cause of death for two weeks in accordance with the task force's wishes, but today published the information, as they've always published death certificate information related to murders and saw no reason to make an exception in this case.

Hi everyone. When was it known anywhere (earliest date) that MC was stabbed and strangled?

March 12th would've been the first time that her COD was confirmed/made public. Her death certificate would've been available about 2wks prior (iirc).

I actually heard the rumor that she was strangled very very early on... I did not hear about the stabbing to the neck at that time though. I did hear they tried to decapitate her though :(

According to the March 12th WW article, "The Wenatchee World obtained the death certificate, a public record, from the Chelan-Douglas Health District on Feb. 23 but withheld the information until now at the request of investigators."

Snipped from Teen was stabbed, strangled

So it was known to LE before 2/23.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members