All sorts of people suing casey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The costs of investgating the murder case have nothing to do with her lying to LEO charges.

Of course it does! In the interviews with LE from Day 1, she was telling them they needed to look here, look there, go here, go there, and she even complained in the jailhouse tapes that she told them they needed to search out of state, and was angry they weren't. She sent them on a wild goose chase on purpose. In fact, she told them she had Zenaida's info in her computer, thus necessitating computer forensic testing, too. And, she said she'd received a call from Caylee while she was missing, so they had to get her cell records.

did i hear on NG that casey is now going to sue for keeping her in jail longer than her check fraud sentence now that she has been found NG on the murder trial?

I can't see how that would fly.
Aren't most prisoners kept in jail until their trial if there is no bail set? or if they can't afford the bail?
She wouldn't have been in there that long if the DT hadn't stalled and stalled and stalled on every little issue.
jmo

let everone sue her. tie her and baez up in legal poo fo years to come over this case. can jesse sue for the accusations? dfamation of character?

Why does she owe the IRS?

Because she never paid taxes on the $200k or so she got from selling pics, etc of Caylee. She probably thought "ah, to he** with them, what are they going to do to me, I'll probably spend the rest of my life in jail".

Well, now shes gonna be OUT and the IRS, I hope, will pursue her relentlessly.

It boils down to this: The Justice system of Florida, America and indeed every civilized western democracy works on the basis that after an acquittal a person is presumed for the purposes of the criminal system to be innocent of the crime which they are acquitted of. (in some places a final acquittal).

KC has been acquitted of homicide and child abuse. Therefore, she should not be expected to pay the costs of prosecuting her for a crime which it is considered that she did not commit.

Just because she was found not guilty does not mean she is innocent.

I'll say this one more time. The criminal justice system presumes that she is innocent if she was acquitted.

And lawsuits are part of the civil justice system, a la OJ.

I see lot's of IRS talk...

On JVM today it was said that Baez has been holding ICA's money in a client/trust account for which he was responsible for paying taxes to IRS out of said funds but did not do. They did not mention how much was there, but I'm curious to know how she qualified as indigent if she had assets which her attorney was holding in a client/trust fund <insert personal comment> from advice of Todd Macaluso probably.

Any accountants in the house to explain how that works?

If she had not lied to LE and admitted what happened to Caylee, then there would have been no need to waste resources looking into the child's disappearance. It's as simple as that.

I just remembered a Colorado case where a soldier went AWOL, but faked a fall/being missing in the mountains here. He was successfully sued for the unnecessary LE/EMT searches, IIRC.

Seems similiar to Casey's misleading statements, IMO.

What was being discused in that thread of conversation was not a civil lawsuit.

Your posts have run between both criminal and civil pursuits of justice. I don't believe that the UK system works as ours does, so I just wanted to ensure you knew there are two different systems and ways of seeking justice here, with different requirements for proof of guilt. :seeya:

On JVM today it was said that Baez has been holding ICA's money in a client/trust account for which he was responsible for paying taxes to IRS out of said funds but did not do. They did not mention how much was there, but I'm curious to know how she qualified as indigent if she had assets which her attorney was holding in a client/trust fund <insert personal comment> from advice of Todd Macaluso probably.

Good point, everyone!

Not an accountant, but maybe this can help explain things...

Last week (March 2010) Casey Anthony's attorneys argued that she was broke and could no longer afford the cost of her defense, which has totaled more than $250,000 since her arrest in 2008. Casey Anthony's attorneys also disclosed where that $250,000 came from and where it went.
According to attorney Jose Baez, ABC had paid the Florida mother and her relatives $200,000 for exclusive use of family photos and videos. In addition to that money Anthony's defense fund had received $70,000 from another attorney on the defense team and a $5,000 anonymous donation. But that money is gone, Baez said.

Some of her lawyers have worked pro bono, but Baez told the judge he had been paid more than $89,000 since taking on the case in 2008, and another attorney, Andrea Lyon, had been paid more than $22,000. Lyon told the court that all of that money went back into building their defense.
The judge's ruling means the state will cover defense costs, but not lawyer's fees. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20000907-504083.html

Your posts have run between both criminal and civil pursuits of justice. I don't believe that the UK system works as ours does, so I just wanted to ensure you knew there are two different systems and ways of seeking justice here, with different requirements for proof of guilt. :seeya:

The point I was making was in relation to the Motion for Prosecution Costs filed in a Criminal Proceedings and which people were suggesting could be used to make ICA pay for the costs of the murder case.

I am aware that there is a difference between the two systems. The burden of proof is the same both in the UK and US (except the US has a "Clear and Convincing Evidence" standard for some types of civil cases which we don't have).

Remember the Runaway Bride?

Runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks has agreed to pay $13,250 to the city of Duluth, Ga., to help pay for the costs the city incurred searching for her, the mayor said Tuesday.

In accepting the agreement, the city will have to write off about $30,000!

Do I think ICA will have to reimburse all costs incurred during all her nonsense. Probably not. I think ICA may have to pay a portion of costs, but probably not the whole lot.

I wish she would, but it's rare, and I can't find a case where someone actually had to pay all the costs.

MOO

Mel

Casey Anthony is going to make so many millions from book deals, movies deals, DVD sales, etc, etc that she will be able to pay off all the ones that actually win their suit, and still be sitting very pretty financially.

The point I was making was in relation to the Motion for Prosecution Costs filed in a Criminal Proceedings and which people were suggesting could be used to make ICA pay for the costs of the murder case.

I am aware that there is a difference between the two systems. The burden of proof is the same both in the UK and US (except the US has a "Clear and Convincing Evidence" standard for some types of civil cases which we don't have).

Thanks for the info!

I agree with other posters here. IMO, since she was convicted of lying to officers and thus obstructing the investigation, they are justified in seeking compensation for costs they would not have otherwise incurred. I imagine it's like the potential perjury charges against Cindy. They can be pursued, they just rarely are.

I just read in the lawyer thread that the only relation that bring a wrongful death against her would be Caylee's father but since he never knew her he would probably get nothing.

Perhaps GA could sue for slander and the A's attorney fees and "body guards." (i.e DC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288