The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the conspiracy buffs who believe in a cover up by LE in the 3MW case Christopher Revak would make the perfect patsy for SPD to close this case with. Like the killing of Lee Harvey Oswald, with Revak dead there would never be any trial; nothing would ever have to come to light except for maybe a couple of manufactured pieces of evidence to assure the citizens that Revak was their man. Case closed. If there is a cover up why would SPD not take the pressure off them by declaring this case solved? In all the coverage that I have read I don’t see a single suggestion that Revak might have been involved in the abduction of the 3MW.

In discussing DNA the question came up as to whether a person’s DNA changes if they have a blood transfusion. The answer is no, because a transfusion only involves the red blood cells and red blood cells do not contain DNA. Because of the lack of nuclei and organelles, mature red blood cells do not contain DNA and cannot synthesize any RNA, and consequently they cannot divide or repair themselves. Only white blood cells contain DNA. Check links for verification:

http://ask.yahoo.com/20050506.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_blood_cell

Which led me to find this article where scientists have demonstrated that DNA evidence can be fabricated easier than fingerprints? Consequently the ACLU now questions the use of DNA in evidentiary matters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/18/science/18dna.html?_r=3

I spoke with a detective involved in the 3 M/W case and he said that they do NOT consider Revak a person of interest in the case.

Revak is an interesting character, but we need the Sheriff to release more information on him.

An investigator in the Huisentruit case says that they can't tie him to Mason City when Jodi went missing.

Revak's past needs to be investigated with a fine tooth comb. Thanks to all that have helped with research on him.

Patience is a virtue.....at least that's what I'm told.

Does anyone know what this poster means by these statements? I had not heard of an eagle connection before, and I was curious what it meant, if anything.

Both by a poster named marie:

I have e mailed thepolice many times to look into the Eagles club,Eagles mask or jackets with the Eagleon it. It is a lead that they should look into. I know it will help.

This crime ha become an obsession with me. I do believe the police are missing a very important clue. I have gone through all of the information that is available to me for many years and I know that an Eagle of some sort is connected with this crime.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/springfield-mo/TCBH4O8GAUKJANKAT

I don't know what this person means or why they think an eagle is connected. Do they mean just the image of an eagle in general? There is no Eagles Club in Springfield, MO. There is an Eagles Lodge but I don't think it was around in 1992.

I don't think any of the local high schools had an Eagle as their mascot. The Eagle is the mascot for Joplin High School which is located about an hour and a half west of Springfield - a straight shot down I-44.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88630

I can't believe I had this and forgot but here this is!
Please forgive me everyone but I was flipping through some old documents last night and I found the BOLO and crime description on the Missouri attempted murder and I am attaching all of the documents here. It includes the description of the assault, the victims names, two composite drawings (presumably b/c there were two girls?). It also includes mug shots of an inmate in LA who was bragging about attacking two women in Missouri. He is definitely not my assailant and when I read the crime description of their attack, I can definitely say the first thing that comes to mind in my case is NOT that my attacker looked muscular and fit (then again MOST of the time he was behind me anyway so who knows).

Also...that is just awful for these two Missouri girls that their case had to be closed due to some stupid law!!!! This makes me very upset for victims in Missouri!!!
Attached Images
jpg.gif
bolo-Missouri attack 001.jpg (76.0 KB, 8 views)
jpg.gif
enlarged composite Missouri attack 001.jpg (68.5 KB, 6 views)
jpg.gif
2nd composite Missouri attack 001.jpg (45.5 KB, 7 views)
jpg.gif
La inmate accused of bragging about assault 001.jpg (59.9 KB, 5 views)

jpg.gif
#2 La Man accused of bragging about assault 001.jpg (78.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by tracy62401; Today at 07:53 AM. Reason: addition of comment

She says that RCC doesn't look like her attacker, but the timeline for her attack and the FL and LA connection are interesting.

Maybe if we can help her, we can find the answers to our girls!

Something just came to mind! The Fraternal Order of the Eagles http://www.foe.com/ There is one in Springfield and one in Ozark. i don't know anything about them, but I looked and they are there. Not sure if they were there in 1992.

I wonder if this had any connection to anything.

I don't know what this person means or why they think an eagle is connected. Do they mean just the image of an eagle in general? There is no Eagles Club in Springfield, MO. There is an Eagles Lodge but I don't think it was around in 1992.

I don't think any of the local high schools had an Eagle as their mascot. The Eagle is the mascot for Joplin High School which is located about an hour and a half west of Springfield - a straight shot down I-44.

I have no idea. I had never heard that mention before, and I saw it and I was curious.

I don't either. I used to live in Springfield (and did in 1992).

I think you are right about the mascots. Central was the bulldog, Glendale the falcon, Kickapoo had the chief, parkview vikings, Hillcrest has the hornet, Greenwood is the Blue Jay. But I was not sure about Bailey, Catholic or any of the other Christian schools.

And there are so many other small cities around Springfield and are very accessible to Springfield, and I don't about them. Buffalo, Nixa, Ozark, Marshfield, Strafford, Rogersville, Willard, Republic, Highlandville, Fordland, Shady Grove, Sparta, Seymour, Northview, Elkland---and those are just some of them. I have no idea what most mascots are either.

There are the Southwest Missouri Eagles, but they are a Christian homeschool group so that's not too likely.

I was reading about Cory Stayner and I thought his confession was interesting in regards to this case because it demonstrates how one person can subdue 3 women. Cory was ultimately convicted for 4 homicides. His first one was the triple murder of a mother, her daughter and her daughters friend (both teenagers) while they were on vacation near Yosemite.

Part of his confession below. talking about how he gained entry into the cabin and how he subdued the 3 women. The confession continues on if anyone is interested in reading the whole thing. It is pretty graphic and it is definitely disturbing so I just included the link to this one part but you can obviously see the links to the other parts of his confession.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/s/p/2002/stayner/STAYNER15TR08.DTL

GAIA227,

Interesting that you you would mention the Yosemite Killings as they were the first thing I thought when I heard about the SP3. One man can definitly contol three women under the right circumstances. I was also struck bt the fact that, in both cases, three women were removed from the initial crime scene. Usually, a prowler rapist/murderer will identfy victims and break into their residence at night, commit the sexual assalt and murder and leave them there. Both the room at the Ceder Lodge and the house in Springfield were far enough from any occupied buildings to make a good crime scene yet, in both cases, all three women were removed and the subsequent crimes were committed elsewhere. This seems very risky when unnecessary. I can't think of any "solved' case where the Perp had an KO of abductiong women from their residences and killing them and disposing of their bodies elsewhere.

We know why Cory Staynor "moved" the women; he had very strong links to to the Ceder Lodge. This is why I suspect the SP3 Perp had links to at least one of the women, (or perhaps the neighborhood).

GAIA227,

Interesting that you you would mention the Yosemite Killings as they were the first thing I thought when I heard about the SP3. One man can definitly contol three women under the right circumstances. I was also struck bt the fact that, in both cases, three women were removed from the initial crime scene.
Usually, a prowler rapist/murderer will identfy victims and break into their residence at night, commit the sexual assalt and murder and leave them there.
Both the room at the Ceder Lodge and the house in Springfield were far enough from any occupied buildings to make a good crime scene yet, in both cases, all three women were removed and the subsequent crimes were committed elsewhere.
This seems very risky when unnecessary. I can't think of any "solved' case where the Perp had an KO of abductiong women from their residences and killing them and disposing of their bodies elsewhere.
We know why Cory Staynor "moved" the women; he had very strong links to to the Ceder Lodge.
This is why I suspect the SP3 Perp had links to at least one of the women, (or perhaps the neighborhood)

Usually, a prowler rapist/murderer will identfy victims and break into their residence at night, commit the sexual assalt and murder and leave them there.

Most crimes of rape are single victim crimes. The majority of rape crimes occur in or on the victim’s property. We can all sight examples where rape victims have been abducted from public places such as a parking lot and held captive in basement bunkers or backyard tents for the purpose of rape but I think the statistics will back me up on these two points. If the 3MW case started out as a rape crime then the scenario changed when the girls came home or in some other fashion it became three women instead of just one. Because there were now three women, and because of the late/early morning hour it became necessary to remove the women from their home before the neighborhood and the city woke up. Even Cox speculated to SPD in an interview about possible scenarios that when the girls came home the plan changed.

This seems very risky when unnecessary. I can't think of any "solved' case where the Perp had an KO of abductiong women from their residences and killing them and disposing of their bodies elsewhere.

That is precisely why a learned criminal would remove them from the home. The very act of removing multiple victims gives the perp(s) better control over them. It also establishes a second, primary crime scene which may never be found. Therefore the risk of the perp(s) being captured moves in their favor if the primary crime scene is never found. Only a learned criminal would probably know such things. I doubt that a 19-20 yr old friend of the girls would.

This is why I suspect the SP3 Perp had links to at least one of the women, (or perhaps the neighborhood).

A perp with links to the victims or the house; a frequent guest in the home would have been better off leaving the victims behind (with the possible exception of a crime of rape). Any forensic evidence found in the house, with the possible exception of semen could be attributed to prior visits.

If the motive was nothing more than rape then the key to identifying the perp(s) lies in the attempted abductions and rapes in the area prior and subsequent to the abduction of the 3MW.

Hurricane,
I'm not sure what your point is. You seem to agree with my contention that your basic, garden variaty "find a victim, break into her home, rape and kill " type perp will generally leave the victims at the crime scene but you feel that an unexpected woman or two would cause the perp to "alter" his plan and move them instead. This doesn't make sense. If it is difficult and "risky" to move one victim, it is at lest three times more to move three.

I agree that there would be advantages in having the bodies of the victims never be found. You don't have to be a criminal genius to figure that out. The problem is that there are so many things that can go wrong when you try to "move" victims, especially when they are still alive.

The primarily "forensic" advantage of "disappearing the bodies" is DNA and in 1992, only the most sophisticated Perps understood how it worked. They must have understood that the house would be thoroughly searched bodies or no bodies, and he/they did appear to have been careful about fingerprints, cigarette butts etc, the obvious. One forensic" drawback to moving the victimes is that you contaminate your own car.

I go back to my contension that this case did not follow the pattern of "a prowler rapist/murderer who will identfy victims and break into their residence at night, " because the victims were not assalted and left at the scene. Therefore it was PROBABLY not that type of crime.

Obviouly Perps deviate from the norm and do not always act logically or rationally. Sometimes they will do somethin "contrarian" just to throw off the investigation; essentially this would be a type of "stageing"

Hurricane,
I'm not sure what your point is. You seem to agree with my contention that your basic, garden variaty "find a victim, break into her home, rape and kill " type perp will generally leave the victims at the crime scene but you feel that an unexpected woman or two would cause the perp to "alter" his plan and move them instead. This doesn't make sense. If it is difficult and "risky" to move one victim, it is at lest three times more to move three.

I agree that there would be advantages in having the bodies of the victims never be found. You don't have to be a criminal genius to figure that out. The problem is that there are so many things that can go wrong when you try to "move" victims, especially when they are still alive.

The primarily "forensic" advantage of "disappearing the bodies" is DNA and in 1992, only the most sophisticated Perps understood how it worked. They must have understood that the house would be thoroughly searched bodies or no bodies, and he/they did appear to have been careful about fingerprints, cigarette butts etc, the obvious. One forensic" drawback to moving the victimes is that you contaminate your own car.

I go back to my contension that this case did not follow the pattern of "a prowler rapist/murderer who will identfy victims and break into their residence at night, " because the victims were not assalted and left at the scene. Therefore it was PROBABLY not that type of crime.

Obviouly Perps deviate from the norm and do not always act logically or rationally. Sometimes they will do somethin "contrarian" just to throw off the investigation; essentially this would be a type of "stageing"

I have said before that it is my opinion that if the two girls had not returned home that night that Sherrill would probably have been raped in her own home and made to take a shower afterwards, threatened and beaten to within an inch of her life that night, but left alive. Steve Garrison carried out a rape in just such a manner in 1993. There were several rapes in Springfield and the surrounding area during the 12-15 months both before and after this crime and not a single victim was murdered. I think statistics will prove as fact that most rapists who do not first abduct their victims do not kill them. Statistics do not support your theory of “garden variaty "find a victim, break into her home, rape and kill " type perp will generally leave the victims at the crime scene” without abducting the victims.

When suddenly faced with three women instead of just a single victim it became necessary to remove them from their element in order to control them. It would be more risky to carry out sex crimes X3 within a setting familiar to the victims than it would be to remove them. The perp(s) would have less control over the women while they were in a familiar setting. If a sex crime X3 had been committed inside the house then all kinds of forensic evidence would have been left behind. When it became necessary to move them then time became critical because of the hour.

Other than the physical abductions of the three victims the heart of the crimes were carried out at an unknown crime scene which has never been found! And contaminating the vehicle by moving them? It has never been found either. And I have not said anything about DNA; only forensic evidence. Any learned criminal in 1992 knew about such evidence if found and what could be gleaned from it.

I have said before that it is my opinion that if the two girls had not returned home that night that Sherrill would probably have been raped in her own home and made to take a shower afterwards, threatened and beaten to within an inch of her life that night, but left alive.

Ok..I just have to say I don't agree with this theory. How could anyone possiably presume to predict the mindset and over all plan of anyone who is capable of either raping and or abducting someone. I'm of the opinion that anyone capable of raping and abducting is definatly capable of taking the crime one step further....ie. Murder.

Personally I believe after much much ponder and research into this case over the years, that the answer to solving it lies closer to home.
I've always thought that the Brother...not nameing names...should be looked into closer...MUCH CLOSER!
His actions overall are not in line. Not in line with anything normal. I don't believe he had a solid alibi, and I don't hold one iota's worth of faith in polygraphs.
Just my personal opinion.

Ok..I just have to say I don't agree with this theory. How could anyone possiably presume to predict the mindset and over all plan of anyone who is capable of either raping and or abducting someone. I'm of the opinion that anyone capable of raping and abducting is definatly capable of taking the crime one step further....ie. Murder.

Personally I believe after much much ponder and research into this case over the years, that the answer to solving it lies closer to home.
I've always thought that the Brother...not nameing names...should be looked into closer...MUCH CLOSER!
His actions overall are not in line. Not in line with anything normal. I don't believe he had a solid alibi, and I don't hold one iota's worth of faith in polygraphs.

You cropped what I had said. What I said was this (with emphasis added):

I have said before that it is my opinion that if the two girls had not returned home that night that Sherrill would probably have been raped in her own home and made to take a shower afterwards, threatened and beaten to within an inch of her life that night, but left alive. Steve Garrison carried out a rape in just such a manner in 1993. There were several rapes in Springfield and the surrounding area during the 12-15 months both before and after this crime and not a single victim was murdered. I think statistics will prove as fact that most rapists who do not first abduct their victims do not kill them.

I would recommend that you read the coverage concerning the August 1993 rape and the conviction of that rape in Sept 1995 of one of the leading suspects in the 3MW case to see exactly how that rape was carried out. I am offering as evidence how the 3MW case might have progressed and ended up if the two girls had not returned home that night. It goes to a possible, original motive for this crime.

What was being discussed when I cited the above example was that the “garden variaty "find a victim, break into her home, rape and kill " type perp will generally leave the victims at the crime scene” vs. the risk of moving the victims to a location where “the subsequent crimes” could be committed. Perhaps you could cite a case to support your “opinion that anyone capable of raping and abducting is definatly capable of taking the crime one step further....ie. Murder” where the victim was raped and murdered in her home?

I couldn't agree more. The polygraphs have been proven over and over again that they are next to worthless. The guilty can pass and the innocent can fail. I have talked to a professional polygrapher and he said categorically they could be beaten.

It is my view that if the dots were drawn between obvious suspects and logical perpetrators (namely Cox), the motives and method of carrying out this crime would be abundantly clear. Personally, I believe there are about three motives by three different people all being driven separately for their own nefarious reasons. And all these individuals are interconnected. Any one of them could give up the others but they are toughing it out in their own way. Until one of them talks the case will remain unsolved unless the prosecutor and SPD somehow start racheting up the pressure.

I would also add that I have read somewhere that the detective who worked this case most extensively knows EXACTLY what went down that night. From what I have read of this officer he is highly respected.

Your further view is important in the context of the profiler who stated that person or persons "didn't feel good" (paraphrasing) about what went down that night. It is entirely logical to believe he/they went into this crime believing something must less sinister would take place perhaps not knowing the history of Cox. After all, the very definition of a psychopath includes the ability to con someone else. Most psychopaths could sell ice to the Eskimos if necessary. I can imagine Cox could easily do this. He plays everyone for fools and thus far has gotten by with this behavior.

Ok..I just have to say I don't agree with this theory. How could anyone possiably presume to predict the mindset and over all plan of anyone who is capable of either raping and or abducting someone.

You can't. But you can attempt to predict a rapist's behavior based on other rapists. For the most part, a rapist is looking for 'power'. Some result in murder, but most do not. While you put a rapist into the same category as murder, because to a normal mind those are both heinous crimes, there is a difference. Just like there is a difference between murdering someone who tried to murder you (self-defense), murdering someone because they murdered a loved one (revenge), or murdering someone because you want to, and can (possibly psychopath). All are murder, but they are different, and I would look upon each of those perps in different ways.

I understand that this is your opinion, and I've thought the same in the past myself. However, investigations don't put much stock in polygraphs either. They are not admissible in court. All a polygraph does is give them an opinion about someone. If the decline to take one, then that normally means that they have something to hide.

My belief is that someone got away with murder. Period. Investigators are just missing one tiny bit of evidence. If it is found, or the perp or perps break their silence, then it will be like a rainstorm and everything will fall into place.

Until that moment though, I don't know what else to say.

I couldn't agree more. The polygraphs have been proven over and over again that they are next to worthless. The guilty can pass and the innocent can fail. I have talked to a professional polygrapher and he said categorically they could be beaten.

It is my view that if the dots were drawn between obvious suspects and logical perpetrators (namely Cox), the motives and method of carrying out this crime would be abundantly clear. Personally, I believe there are about three motives by three different people all being driven separately for their own nefarious reasons. And all these individuals are interconnected. Any one of them could give up the others but they are toughing it out in their own way. Until one of them talks the case will remain unsolved unless the prosecutor and SPD somehow start racheting up the pressure.

I would also add that I have read somewhere that the detective who worked this case most extensively knows EXACTLY what went down that night. From what I have read of this officer he is highly respected.

Your further view is important in the context of the profiler who stated that person or persons "didn't feel good" (paraphrasing) about what went down that night. It is entirely logical to believe he/they went into this crime believing something must less sinister would take place perhaps not knowing the history of Cox. After all, the very definition of a psychopath includes the ability to con someone else. Most psychopaths could sell ice to the Eskimos if necessary. I can imagine Cox could easily do this. He plays everyone for fools and thus far has gotten by with this behavior.

Which officer are you referring to?

I agree with everyone. Polygraphs should not be used to eliminate suspects. In this case, I have never seen it printed anywhere that a POI was eliminated solely based on a polygraph they took.

You can't. But you can attempt to predict a rapist's behavior based on other rapists. For the most part, a rapist is looking for 'power'. Some result in murder, but most do not. While you put a rapist into the same category as murder, because to a normal mind those are both heinous crimes, there is a difference. Just like there is a difference between murdering someone who tried to murder you (self-defense), murdering someone because they murdered a loved one (revenge), or murdering someone because you want to, and can (possibly psychopath). All are murder, but they are different, and I would look upon each of those perps in different ways.

I understand that this is your opinion, and I've thought the same in the past myself. However, investigations don't put much stock in polygraphs either. They are not admissible in court. All a polygraph does is give them an opinion about someone. If the decline to take one, then that normally means that they have something to hide.

My belief is that someone got away with murder. Period. Investigators are just missing one tiny bit of evidence. If it is found, or the perp or perps break their silence, then it will be like a rainstorm and everything will fall into place.

Until that moment though, I don't know what else to say.

Welcome to the forum :) It appears you have followed this case for a long time. Do you have a theory or opinion on what you think may have happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy