Richard

Reaction score
Joanne Williams
Missing since December 7, 1978 from Scranton, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5’2”; 95 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Clothing: Beige tweed jacket, blue jeans and a leotard top.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Williams was last seen at her dance school in Chinchilla, Pennsylvania on December 7, 1978.Williams left her residence in her red 1977 Datsun 200 SX with white racing stripes, enroute to an exercise class.

She was last seen at her dance school located on Route 6 in Chinchilla at 10:00 PM. Her vehicle was later discovered on December 16, 1978 at Lafayette Street and North Everett Avenue, West Scranton, unlocked with her purse and contents located in the vehicle.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Pennsylvania State Police Troop R 570-963-3156

Agency Case Number: R01-0159777
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Pennsylvania State Police
The Doe Network: Case File 1526DFPA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1526dfpa.html

The 29th anniversary of Joanne's disappearance has just passed. She was petite, standing 5 ft 2 inches, and weighing 95 pounds. She was blonde and had blue eyes.

Wow, Joanne Williams #1526DFPA looks just like UID #81UFAR on doe network, but I don't see how they could possibly be the same person, time wise and height wise, and weight wise.

Joanne Williams 5'2" 95lbs.missing Dec. 7, 1978 Pennsylvannia
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1526dfpa.html

Jane Doe 5'11" 150-160lbs. found July 10, 1991 Arkansas
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/81ufar.html

Still regardless of all the differences, they look identical. It's uncanny.

I wish there were more information about Joanne. Lackawanna County just put a huge database of public records (wills, marriage licenses) online. I was looking for another Williams and couldn't help noticing how many matches their were for Joannes in the right age range. Maybe it's just wishful thinking that she could be out there married and living a happy life, never knowing she was 'missing'...

There are so many cases of women missing and their cars being left behind, as well as purses. Does she have family looking for her?

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I live in Scranton and was born on December 7, 1978... the night Joanne Williams was last seen. When I was 11 years old, a man who I vaguely knew (a neighbor) tried to abduct me but I luckily got away. He stalked me for 2-3 years before attempting my abduction on my way home from the bus stop. I consider myself blessed... and am very interested in seeking answers/justice for those who did not survive. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Truly I believe that Frank Osellanie abducted, raped and murdered Joanne Williams and Jolene Lakey (as well as others). He had a garage 1.5 blocks away from Joanne Williams apartment on E Gibson Street at the time. I feel that Frank is a sadistic killer who would rape and beat his victims to death with his hands because he enjoyed the control/torture. His type of murderer profile leads me to believe he never killed or buried/hid his victims on his own property...but rather off his property. He’s intelligent as well as asocial which suggests he thinks he’s smarter than everyone, and is a loner at heart, but can be very charming, easily sweet talk victims, and socialize with the best of them if it suits his needs. He is not a random killer, but a methodical planned killer who fantasizes about the kidnap/killing before he does it. He’s the type who comes prepared.

There was nothing random in the kidnapping and disposal of poor Renee Waddle (the 9 year old girl he was convicted of kidnapping, raping and murdering) or Laureen Finn (who he is a “person of interest” and whose body was found at 430 Monroe Ave Scranton, about 8 blocks from his residence at the time, 1316 Vine St, Scranton). [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The bodies of both victims were burned with Coleman Fuel/Paint Thinner combo. Laureen left a party on Quincy Ave at approximately 3am and Laureen’s body was found approximately at 4:30am about 1-2 blocks from the party. Who other than Frank, “a night owl” would happen to carry Coleman Fuel on him at 4:30am. Not many murderers are capable of beating women and children to death in the manner these victims were brutalized. No guns or rope used (at least to my knowledge). Both Lauren and Renee had massive head trauma and other broken bones. Laureen had broken ribs and a fractured collarbone.

Interesting note: Laureen was a college student while living in Scranton, but she was from Elizabethtown NJ area. Frank frequented a Racetrack in New Jersey where Laureen worked as a waitress in the concession stand. I believe she caught his attention there. He may have struck up conversation... found out she lived in hill section while at school and made her one of his fantasy kills. I became aware of another woman who was living in the Hill Section of Scranton and who Frank was stalking at the same time as Laureen’s murder (1987). This woman had moved out of Scranton and recently passed away; however, before she passed away, she recalled how afraid she was of him even though when she met him he was charming.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]For those who don’t understand sadistic predators, it’s important to understand that these type of twisted individuals don’t have an age preference... they will victimize anyone who they can gain control. I work at a Child abuse intervention center... many kids who are raped are not raped by pedophiles (who technically can only be classified that way if a specific child age range and gender is their only attraction), but rather by sadistic manipulative people who enjoy control over powerless people and children. Don’t get confused [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Coincidentally, no other rapes/murders/abductions that could compare to these cases have occurred in the hill section since Frank has been in prison.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Frank also traveled quite a bit around the tri-state area to car shows, racetracks, campgrounds/boating venues...and was an avid fan of diners. I believe he also killed the woman missing since 1982 who was last seen talking in the parking lot (approximately 10pm) at the diner that she worked at with her mom. The sketch of the man bares a chilling resemblance to how Frank looked in 1982.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Frank has always denied any connection or involvement with these murders/missing women and children. Frank will remain in prison for the rest of his life. A friend of mine who is a detective tried to interview him one last time this past year but he has severe dementia at this point and his health is very poor. He’s not expected to live much longer.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]This year marks the 40th anniversary of Joanne being a missing person. Wishing we can get some answers for Joanne, Jolene and the other possible victims who are still missing.[/FONT][/FONT]

Demographics
Missing Age22 Years
Current Age63 Years
First NameJoanne
Middle Name--
Last NameWilliams
Nickname/Alias--

SexFemale
Height5' 0" - 5' 4" (60 - 64 Inches)
Weight95 - 105 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactDecember 7, 1978
NamUs Case CreatedJuly 15, 2009
Last Known Location Map
LocationScranton, Pennsylvania
CountyLackawanna County

Circumstances of DisappearanceWilliams was last seen at her dance school in Chinchilla, Pennsylvania on December 7, 1978. Williams left her residence in her red 1977 Datsun 200 SX with white racing stripes, enroute to an exercise class. She was last seen at her dance school located on Route 6 in Chinchilla at 10:00 PM. Her vehicle was later discovered on December 16, 1978 at Lafayette Street and North Everett Avenue, West Scranton
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlond/Strawberry
Head Hair DescriptionBlonde
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBlue
Right Eye ColorBlue
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
Beige tweed jacket

Clothing
blue jeans and a leotard top.

Additional Case Info

Transportation
1977 Datsun 200SX

Style--
ColorRed
State--
License Plate--
Expiration Year--
CommentsHad White Racing Stripes

R/O

upload_2019-11-20_10-49-20.png

upload_2019-11-20_10-49-47.png

upload_2019-11-20_10-50-8.png

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Cold Case Clue? Anonymous Letter Prompts Investigation

A woman sent a chilling letter to the Scranton Times-Tribune newspaper and now Scranton police are asking that woman to come forward.

The woman believes she heard a murder in the late 1980s.

More than 30 years ago, a woman was driving on part of I-81 north when she claims to have heard a horrific female scream. She then saw a fire, and the screams got louder and sounded full of pain and terror.

When the screaming stopped, the woman smelled fuel and burning rubber. Other witnesses, including her husband, brushed it off as teens partying in the woods.

There are eerie similarities to what the woman who wrote the anonymous letter heard and saw and the murders tied to Osellanie.

Osellanie is still locked up for the 1989 rape and murder of 9-year-old Renee Waddle. Her body was found burning along a wooded private road in Roaring Brook Township.

But Osellanie was also the chief suspect in three other cases: the murder of 19-year-old Laureen Finn, and the disappearances of 22-year-old Joanne Williams and 11-year-old Michele Jolene Lakey.

The bodies of Williams and Lakey were never found.

Not much info on this case. I remember this girl. As a matter of fact she was last seen at our house that night. I was only ten at the time, but my mom used to give exercise classes at our home in Clark's Summit and she used to take the class. So sad, I remember she was very small and quiet and had a red car with white bars running down the sides I think. I remember my mom and dad telling us she vanished. I hadn't thought about her in years and couldn't remember her name. I asked my mom and she remembered. Thinking of you Joanne.

Not sure I am mapping it correctly, but it appears her vehicle was found less than a mile away from her home, and in very close proximity (~ 2 blocks) to the Cathedral Cemetery-Diocese of Scranton. As already indicated in the thread, articles also support the car (red, relatively new 1977 Datsun 200 SX) was unlocked with purse and its contents in the vehicle.

Cathedral Cemetery

1656534147706.png

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member