Ontario man accused of mass online pranks

Patience

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/08/05/ont-online-prankster523.html

An investigative U.S. website says an Ontario man is the leader of an online community responsible for a rash of malicious pranks in which some victims are convinced to vandalize hotel property and undress in public.
The Smoking Gun website said in a report that a 25-year-old Windsor man was the brains behind Pranknet, an "online chat room" whose members make prank phone calls that were broadcast live on the internet.
The Smoking Gun — typically known for posting elusive, sometimes racy, documents concerning celebrities — identified the man as Tariq Malik.
The Smoking Gun also identified William Marquis, a Toronto man, as a prominent accomplice.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0803091pranknet1.html

Three page article. With a lot of side links listed.

..."Dex", who took his nickname from the lead character in "Dexter," the Showtime series about a serial killer who murders serial killers, is bitingly contemptuous of law enforcement and its ability to stop Pranknet or locate its members. When a victim warns him that they are contacting police, he laughs derisively and offers to provide cops with a crayon to trace his number. He and his followers place their prank calls via Skype, confident that the Internet phone service sufficiently cloaks their identities and whereabouts.

By any measure, "Dex" is a sociopath, a mean-spirited sadist who spews a barrage of racial epithets, vulgarities, and threats, and clearly enjoys the panic, fear, and damage he causes. While his frauds and sinister manipulations often rely on naive and compliant dupes, "Dex" prefers to make it appear that he is practicing some mysterious alchemy. "About to social engineer some people into doing wild ****," he announced in a late-May Twitter post.

The Smoking Gun did a heck of a good job in their investigation of this. Because the incidents have been so widespread across the U.S., and the perpetrator is of
Canadian nationality, no one U.S. law enforcement agency was able to make the type of concentrated investigation that the folks at Smoking Gun did.

I hope this report gets widespread coverage by the media here in the U.S. because that will likely be the only way these idiots are stopped from pulling their malicious prank phone calls.

This is outrageous. It's hard to believe that people could be convinced to do such things.

I love this part!

snip... It was a move that would have chagrined his devoted followers, whose "Dex" is a bombastic, sharp-tongued cop hater. On the mic, he is always ready to pulverize victims, denigrating them as *censored*

snip... Cowering in his room with his mother, Malik called 911 to report "suspicious persons" outside his home (it is unclear whether he used Skype to beckon cops).

Go TSG!!! :clap:

After sweetly extracting the home address where he can come and purchase the items, the man then announces that he's headed over to rape the woman and kill her children.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0803091pranknet3.html

This article aslo says that there is a group of then and pranknet goes back at least a decade. I think they are on the internet, serial killer or crime websites also as Dexter-sk fans follow Dexter. I have been to many of websites where a group of mutiple handles attack people, cause trouble, won't reveal themselves to the mods or owners, claim harrassment, haras other people. They get banned then come back with another handle and a buddy(s) and they protect each other but are on the attack, hackers, trouble makers, trolls. This happened on the www.ProjectKare.ca website. The one person posted pictures of dead women, gruesome pics, pics of the Holocaust (sp?) racial slurs, scarey stuff, really demented. The RCMP had to take the site down, the bulliten board. Luckily, someone started blogging about it. I spoke of this a while back but who can make sense of it all. I hope this link will work, it talks of a bob, a bobboblaw who is an apparent serial killer in this bloggers eyes.

http://projectkarearchives.blogspot.com/2006_04_01_archive.html

I hope it's ok to post htis, if not then mods sorry and please delete. This was anonoumously sent to me through the AMW forums.

Here is the Watchtower, Redmile, VonErich, bobloblaw6 poster that currently "haunts and taunts".This same poster posted a photo of a dead lady, More to follow if requested. There is alot on this chap that was forwarded to us. Please post a request here if you want us to post the rest? Not sure what we can do here down in TX, but perhaps the Kanadian posters can forward to the mounties? Thanks kindly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
[EMAIL="WPGCTYBUFFALO@LYCOS.COM"]WPGCTYBUFFALO@LYCOS.COM[/EMAIL] -Bill Watson
Minnesota: Assault Charge: Please Help!
05/27/05 02:12 PM | Edit Reply | Assault Charge: Please Help!
Jets4Life
1 Post
los angeles CA

Hello.

I am a Canadian, with no Criminal Record. Recently I was charged with "Assault Causing Bodily Harm". Here are the details.

I was driving in the "bad" area of town, when a girl approached my car. She was sitting on a bench on a side street near a main route. She asked if she could "warm up' in my car. She offered me "sexual favors" for a price she suggested. After thinking about it for a brief period of time, I accepted a "favor". Money was exchanged prior to the act, and upon completion, I dropped her off at the address she requested. We left on good terms.

After a couple of hours of visiting a friend nearby, I drove back down the same main road, and noticed the same woman waving at my car. Mistakingly, I pulled onto the side street, and asked what was up, since he had left on good terms. She asked to warm up in my car again. I refused, saying that I was on my way home, and apologized. She reacted by punching my car twice, and breaking my passenger door handle.

Caught completetly off-guard, I did a U-turn, and asked from across the road why she had hit my car for? She stormed over to my vehicle, and said that she wanted more money, claiming I had "mistakenly" given her less money than was agreed upon. I assured her that I did not, and I did not have any cash on me. She proceeded to say that if I did not give her $20 right away, she would "track my plate #, and would get "people to me up. I began to panic, and said I was sorry but I did not have any money on me.

She got closer to the drivers side, a foot away from my face, and yelled that she wanted money. She also advised me "not to drive, or I would regret it". I panicked. I perceived these two comments as immediate threats, and was afraid that she might have a weapon (knife, etc) on her person. She reached into my car, and grabbed me by the collar of my fleece. I ended up using force, and making contact with her face. She retreated, grabbing her face, and hovering on the ground. In fear, I drove off, but was apprehended by the vice squad one minute later, who arrested me, and charged me with the offense.

I know what I did was morally wrong, and not very smart (getting involved in the sex-trade), but what kind of defense would this make? I regret using any kind of force (in the process, I gave her a bloody nose), but I was not calm, and in some amount of fear. I would have just gave her the $20 to avoid trouble, but unfortunately i only had some loose change. Now I have to go to court, and fight this charge. Do I have a chance of winning the case on the grounds of self-defense, or reducing it to a lesser charge? Please help me!

I ran across them in Paltalk... Tried to get them shut down, but at the time there was no concrete proof. They have now been banned.

You know these really aren't pranks. Not by my definition of a prank. To me a prank is a joke that is pulled that once it is revealed to be a joke~ all involved have a good laugh~. They are benign and funny.

This is criminal behavior plain and simple.

Ladybass, who do you know that you ran across them at Paltalk? Can you tell us of your experience?

I ran across the room they ran. I walked in on it one day as I was room surfing, thinking it would be funny. but, it turned out to leave me wondeirng how they could get a way with this. And they banned anyone in their room, and the help desk room, because they feared being reported/banned. they were very very sneaky abotu what they did, and were very very cruel in what they did as well

None of this is surprising. I have seen this type of mentality with former posters of Websleuths that continues to this day.

Thank you The Smoking Gun for having the perseverance to take on this investigation. Somebody needed to do it.

I am praying these dirt bags are brought to justice. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for jerks who pull this kind of stuff.

Yes, the bulk will be youngsters, but as we have seen adults can act like vile pigs as long as they can hide behind their keyboard. Seen that happen too and still goes on.

Tricia, I have noticed this too. Luckily you and your Mod team won't let them take control here. Thank goodness, and thank you for this board.

This article is about a fire at Malik's Windsor, Ontario apt. It says he is also an Internet Hosting provider. Does anyone know how to find out which internet hosting provider?

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/local/story.html?id=1e8eb3c4-9a11-4998-b6bc-13185fdc752f

Malik and his mother ran outside -- though Malik was not wearing a shirt or shoes and did not have any ID -- to find the house engulfed in smoke. But the online businessman, an Internet hosting provider, could not simply watch his home burn without doing something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back