Deceased/Not Found UK - April Jones, 5, Machynlleth, Wales, 1 Oct 2012 #4 *M. Bridger guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber34

Reaction score
This is why the UK should adopt the Amber Alert system

April Jones was last seen playing on her bicycle with friends near her home in the town around 7:30 BST on Monday.

She was seen getting into a light coloured van which then drove off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19795761

563966_10151265600401393_1906087193_n.jpg

thread #1
thread #2
thread #3

Elainera
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegallyBrunette
He had defence counsel (John Hedgecoe) who did not submit to Justice Griffith-Williams that there was no case to answer.

http://www.cambrian-news.co.uk/news/i/27529/
What does that mean (the bolded text)?
--------

Just bringing this over from the closed thread.

Elainera
Quote:
He had defence counsel (John Hedgecoe) who did not submit to Justice Griffith-Williams that there was no case to answer.

--------

I typed an answer and it didn't go through because the thread was closed :banghead: Answer was basically - If police did not have sufficient evidence to make the charges the legal rep for MB would have put it to the court that there was no case to answer. He did not do that. Another poster suggested the charges were to avoid the accused being released, but police still have to satisfy court that there is a basis to the charges at the first (committal) hearing.

Elainera
Quote:

--------

I'm confused even more now. What does all that mean?

Sounds like the defense did NOT say there was no case to answer. So the case will proceed. Just my take on it.

I typed an answer and it didn't go through because the thread was closed :banghead: Answer was basically - If police did not have sufficient evidence to make the charges the legal rep for MB would have put it to the court that there was no case to answer. He did not do that. Another poster suggested the charges were to avoid the accused being released, but police still have to satisfy court that there is a basis to the charges at the first (committal) hearing.

If there wasn't enough evidence to satisfy the CPS nobody would have been charged. Nobody would have had to appear in a court at all.

Isn't no case to answer used after all evidence in a trial has been heard and the defence asks the judge to dismiss the case?

Thanks for copying my question over here and for explaining it!

It was the last post on thread number 3 before it was closed. Thanks
Legally Brunnette and Cluciano.

Ah right I see what's happened now. You didn't know how to quote the post so you copied and pasted, I couldn't work it out before.

Ah right I see what's happened now. You didn't know how to quote the post so you copied and pasted, I couldn't work it out before.
Yes, sorry, I didnt think I could quote it to appear exactly as it appeared with the thread being closed.

If there wasn't enough evidence to satisfy the CPS nobody would have been charged. Nobody would have had to appear in a court at all.

Isn't no case to answer used after all evidence in a trial has been heard and the defence asks the judge to dismiss the case?

It is a safeguard for the accused at the beginning - otherwise there could be unjustified charges laid and lack of evidence not discovered until the expense of a trial and damage to reputation of accused.

Quote:
Powys county council confirmed that Mr Bridger attended a parents’ evening at the primary school in Machynlleth, where his own daughter and April are pupils.
April’s parents, Coral and Paul, were reportedly still at the parents’ evening when April, who was playing outside on her bicycle, disappeared.

Me too.
Odd isn't it? The press are saying she vanished from outside her house while her mother went inside to make tea, but the council confirm them all to be at a parents evening with April playing outside the school on her bike.

I'm pretty sure LE knows who was where when. The media tends to run with what they hear first and sometimes never come back to correct bad info.

Odd isn't it? The press are saying she vanished from outside her house while her mother went inside to make tea, but the council confirm them all to be at a parents evening with April playing outside the school on her bike.

I don't think the council were saying that. It is the way the journo has continued writing that could make one read that into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288