CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kamille, it is hard to tell what the backyard fencing is like. When I go on google earth, it only shows from above so it is hard to see. It looks like simple privacy fencing, and also looks like some of the units don't even have that. There is no fence separating the units from the rest of the area, and the townhouse complex is easily accessible from all directions. The perpetrator would be very well hidden approaching the townhouse, from what I can see.

i know there is no connection, but this case reminds me of missing jennifer kesse of florida.
lives alone, boyfriend not a suspect, missing from home, perp uses/moves car.

so sad for both young women.

Kamille, it is hard to tell what the backyard fencing is like. When I go on google earth, it only shows from above so it is hard to see. It looks like simple privacy fencing, and also looks like some of the units don't even have that. There is no fence separating the units from the rest of the area, and the townhouse complex is easily accessible from all directions. The perpetrator would be very well hidden approaching the townhouse, from what I can see.

Well it appears from this video http://www.torontosun.com/news/toro...ews/torontoandgta/2010/08/31/pf-15199721.html

that she lived in an end unit so access to her backyard was probably pretty easy.

29n75eo.jpg

Well it appears from this video http://www.torontosun.com/news/toro...ews/torontoandgta/2010/08/31/pf-15199721.html

that she lived in an end unit so access to her backyard was probably pretty easy.

29n75eo.jpg
This video clip shows the sliding doors and partial view of the fence, on the 0:55 mark. Also on the 1:26 mark they show a similar view as the picture you posted; there is a small passage between hers and the neighbour's house.

Global Toronto VIDEO: http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/index.html?releasePID=yI4eh3XfmYDbVXRFqlK4EhJiXPUAPgum

I have been following your postings and just wonder, if the perp abandoned Sonia's car wouldnt his vehicle have to have been close or wouldnt he need to be in walking distance of somewhere close to that area? Would his vehicle also have blood in it if there is as much blood as they are saying? Is there housing near where the car was abandoned anyone know? I live in a neighbouring city and as a nurse myself this is so devastating and upsetting :(

This video clip shows the sliding doors and partial view of the fence, on the 0:55 mark. Also on the 1:26 mark they show a similar view as the picture you posted; there is a small passage between hers and the neighbour's house.

Global Toronto VIDEO: http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/index.html?releasePID=yI4eh3XfmYDbVXRFqlK4EhJiXPUAPgum

Thanks for the clip Hazel. There is a shot of a gate at the side of her house.

33el8iw.jpg

Her mother seems to think the perpetrator may have gotten access through that patio door. Did a family member check the house before calling in the missing person's report?

I have been following your postings and just wonder, if the perp abandoned Sonia's car wouldnt his vehicle have to have been close or wouldnt he need to be in walking distance of somewhere close to that area? Would his vehicle also have blood in it if there is as much blood as they are saying? Is there housing near where the car was abandoned anyone know? I live in a neighbouring city and as a nurse myself this is so devastating and upsetting :(

If this was premeditated, I'd say there's a chance that the perpetrator had a vehicle and had a plan. I understand this is somewhat of a gated community so bringing a vehicle into the complex might have been more noticeable to the neighbours I would imagine. It is also possible that they did not have or chose not to use their own vehicle at all in this crime so that would mean they likely live within walking distance from where the car was dropped off.

If it was random, I'd say it's likely that the perpetrator was on foot and had to use her vehicle to dispose of the body and to get back to an area within walking distance of their home before anyone noticed them missing.

I think the police are indicating that they believe the person at least knew Sonia was a woman living alone in that home because nothing was taken and there was probably no sign that this was a home invasion robbery gone bad. It might appear from the evidence that the person specifically came into the home to harm her and would have had to have known that she lived there alone at least.

LE need to conduct a door to door canvass of that complex IMO if they haven't already.

MOO

I wonder if LE has examined all the car wash surveillance video in the area, for the days after the crime? Just because he used her car, doesn't mean he didn't have one of his own.

Questions for Locals:

1. Is the area the perp took Sonia to, known as more of a shortcut from point A to B? Is it a place where couples go to spend time together?

2. Does the area where her car was left by the perp, normally have alot of vehicles there, both overnight and during the day?

3. Is Sonia's home in a "gated" community? Someone mentioned this here, I have not heard of that.

I think someone else was inquiring about air conditioning and whether she may have left windows or the patio screen door open for a cross breeze. That appears to be an central air conditioner on the ground at the side of her house in the last photo I posted.

I wonder if LE has examined all the car wash surveillance video in the area, for the days after the crime? Just because he used her car, doesn't mean he didn't have one of his own.

Good idea Wondergirl, especially someone who had cleaning and detailing done to the interior of the car.

Why would the perp remove Sonia from her home? Do you think the doors and trunk were left open by the perp on purpose, to make it look like a robbery or something?

Either the perp left the doors and trunk to the car open on purpose OR LE opened them (and that's the way they were photographed).

The perp either left Sonia's upstairs window open and/or the Garage Door OR LE opened them (and that's the way they were photographed). It seems odd to me.

I found this map of Cell Towers in the Orangeville area:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/...79.990594&zoom=13&type=roadmap&layers=a&pid=0

Would it be possible to get all of the pings from these towers during a given period of time and use this info to single out one cell phone and find the guilty party?
This assumes the killer was panicked enough to forget that their cell phone was on and with them at the time.
Just a thought I had last night.

Great point, Kae.

BBM: I don't think a cell phone has to be on, in order to obtain ping info. Some more exprienced sleuthers could shed some light on this perhaps?

Has anyone done a map listing the 3 areas involved in Sonia's case? I can't seem to find one.

Questions for Locals:

1. Is the area the perp took Sonia to, known as more of a shortcut from point A to B? Is it a place where couples go to spend time together?

2. Does the area where her car was left by the perp, normally have alot of vehicles there, both overnight and during the day?

3. Is Sonia's home in a "gated" community? Someone mentioned this here, I have not heard of that.

I actually read that part about the complex being "gated" in one of the articles regarding the Condominium Corporation hiring security for the neighbourhood to ward off "curious people". Probably just a reporter assuming that because of the hiring of "extra security". Strangely a lot of the articles indicating that they did this have been "updated" and that part of the story was removed. I wonder why? :waitasec:

I think what was meant by that is that there is only one way in and out. I suppose the security was set up at the entrance to the street to check on vehicles coming in and out of the townhouse complex. I doubt there was an actual "gate" anywhere that people had to go through, although I have seen this in other townhouse complexes.

Most people who live on a "dead end" street or cul de sac where there is only one way in or out, are usually very familiar with the vehicles that belong on the street and notice strange vehicles more in my experience, especially in the middle of a Sunday night when it's likely always pretty quiet.

Thanks alot for snapping those screenshots, RubyRed.

I noticed Sonia's Patio Door light was still on in that photo. :-(

Great point, Kae.

BBM: I don't think a cell phone has to be on, in order to obtain ping info. Some more exprienced sleuthers could shed some light on this perhaps?

I'm no expert but I think it has to on and would imagine that the towers would pick up pings from all of the cell phones that were on and in that area. That could be a pretty daunting task if it's even possible.

But if the perpetrator was from out of the area and they could do this, I suppose they could try to narrow in on any out of area cell phones that may have pinged during the time in question? :waitasec:

MOO

I always figured that Sonia just forgot to lock her door that night. Maybe she left her door open a lot as I have been known to do, feeling that the area is safe. I only saw one picture of the back of her house, and it looks like it is a sliding door. It was really hot the day before she was killed; maybe she had the door open all day and simply forgot to lock it before she went to bed.
I can't help but wonder if she had a key stashed outside in case she got locked out and someone saw her go to it or had a lucky find.

Thanks alot for snapping those screenshots, RubyRed.

I noticed Sonia's Patio Door light was still on in that photo. :-(

Yes thank you RubyRed.

Her front door lock was a combination type. I've been told that these are not very secure unless you change your code often because your fingers will wear out certain numbers and it's easier for criminals to figure out your code based on the worn numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member