GUILTY CA - Harry Burkhart charged in Hollywood arson spree, 2011

It's gonna be a long night if they don't catch the perps soon!

Fire trucks parked in neighborhoods. Police patrolled the city. Switchboards took hotline calls. City officials scrambled on a busy New Year's Eve to identify who was behind dozens of arson fires that have spooked the Hollywood area for two straight nights.

A pair of blazes Saturday evening suggested it could be a long night. Firefighters quickly put out a car fire at about 6 p.m. in Hollywood that "fits the profile of concern" authorities have been following for the arsons, fire department spokesman Brian Humphrey said.

Among the most pressing questions: Were the fires set by a serial arsonist, multiple people or copycats? And why target cars, apparently at random?

Source:

http://www.elpasoinc.com/news/wire/regional_us/article_67a9846b-19d7-582d-867d-7942a80c9f14.html

My son lives on Sweetzer behind City Hall. one lives there and one is up there in WeHo for NYE with brother. They are in the building with the detached carport so their living area was spared.

JB hopefully the good news is that they would not strike again in that same area....I also hope everyone is insured, and has developed an escape plan. This is so frightening-even the first responders are unnerved. Who wouldn't? Praying the perp(s) are stopped soon.

There are reports of using a bicycle or motorcyle for a getaway vehicle. Feds are being called in.

I wonder what they're using as the incendiary device.

Maybe rolling a molotov cocktail under the cars?

This is just crazy. I'm glad your kids are OK JBean.

I wonder what they're using as the incendiary device.

Maybe rolling a molotov cocktail under the cars?

This is just crazy. I'm glad your kids are OK JBean.

judging by the size of the flames and how quickly it is spreading, they are using a powerful accelerant IMHO

Here's a list of the fires as of tonight:

7700 Romaine St.Los Angeles, CA 90046

8021 Rothdell TrailLos Angeles, CA 90046 (Former home of Jim Morrison)

N Curson Ave. & Hawthorn Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90046

Jupiter DriveLos Angeles, CA 90046

Vine St. & Yucca St.Los Angeles, CA 90028

1769 N Orange DriveLos Angeles, CA 90028

1156 N Cahuenga Blvd.Los Angeles, CA 90038

Hollywood Blvd. & Bronson Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90028

N Cahuenga Blvd. & Lexington Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90038

1232 N McCadden PlaceLos Angeles, CA 90038

1439 N Poinsettia PlaceLos Angeles, CA 90046

1336 N Citrus Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90028

1047 N Genesee Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90046

1200 N Harper Ave. (2 fires)West Hollywood, CA

Santa Monica Blvd. & N Spaulding Ave.West Hollywood, CA 90046

Lexington Ave. & Curson Ave.West Hollywood, CA 90046

W Sunset Blvd. & N Poinsettia PlaceLos Angeles, CA 90046 (Fire occurred on Thursday)

1434 N Fuller Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90046 (Fire occurred on Thursday)

W Sunset Blvd. & N Sycamore Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Fire occurred on Thursday)

11555 Riverside DrLos Angeles, CA 91602 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

5300 Irvine AveLos Angeles, CA 91601 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

6652 Cleon AveLos Angeles, CA 91606 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

7429 Kraft AveLos Angeles, CA 91605 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

10749 New Haven St(Fire occurred Saturday morning)

10423 Tuxford StLos Angeles, CA 91352 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

12415 Stagg StLos Angeles, CA 91605 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

7875 Melrose Ave(Fire occurred Saturday morning)

11689 Burbank BlvdNorth Hollywood, CA 91601 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

123 N Hayworth AveLos Angeles, CA 90048 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

134 S Harper AveLos Angeles, CA 90048 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

100 N Kings RdLos Angeles, CA 90048

5950 Fulcher AveLos Angeles, CA 91601 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

10131 Buford AveInglewood, CA 90304 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

Here's a list of the fires as of tonight:

7700 Romaine St.Los Angeles, CA 90046

8021 Rothdell TrailLos Angeles, CA 90046 (Former home of Jim Morrison)

N Curson Ave. & Hawthorn Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90046

Jupiter DriveLos Angeles, CA 90046

Vine St. & Yucca St.Los Angeles, CA 90028

1769 N Orange DriveLos Angeles, CA 90028

1156 N Cahuenga Blvd.Los Angeles, CA 90038

Hollywood Blvd. & Bronson Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90028

N Cahuenga Blvd. & Lexington Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90038

1232 N McCadden PlaceLos Angeles, CA 90038

1439 N Poinsettia PlaceLos Angeles, CA 90046

1336 N Citrus Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90028

1047 N Genesee Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90046

1200 N Harper Ave. (2 fires)West Hollywood, CA

Santa Monica Blvd. & N Spaulding Ave.West Hollywood, CA 90046

Lexington Ave. & Curson Ave.West Hollywood, CA 90046

W Sunset Blvd. & N Poinsettia PlaceLos Angeles, CA 90046 (Fire occurred on Thursday)

1434 N Fuller Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90046 (Fire occurred on Thursday)

W Sunset Blvd. & N Sycamore Ave.Los Angeles, CA 90028 (Fire occurred on Thursday)

11555 Riverside DrLos Angeles, CA 91602 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

5300 Irvine AveLos Angeles, CA 91601 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

6652 Cleon AveLos Angeles, CA 91606 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

7429 Kraft AveLos Angeles, CA 91605 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

10749 New Haven St(Fire occurred Saturday morning)

10423 Tuxford StLos Angeles, CA 91352 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

12415 Stagg StLos Angeles, CA 91605 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

7875 Melrose Ave(Fire occurred Saturday morning)

11689 Burbank BlvdNorth Hollywood, CA 91601 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

123 N Hayworth AveLos Angeles, CA 90048 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

134 S Harper AveLos Angeles, CA 90048 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

100 N Kings RdLos Angeles, CA 90048

5950 Fulcher AveLos Angeles, CA 91601 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)

10131 Buford AveInglewood, CA 90304 (Fire occurred Saturday morning)
there even more now unfortunately. Do you have a link so we can watch formupdates? Thanks in advance.

More arson fires in Hollywood overnight keep authorities busy

Hollywood was hit again overnight by a series of arson fires as authorities struggled to catch the person or persons responsible.

Officials reported at least four new fires Saturday night, including one caught on tape at the Hollywood & Highland shopping center on Hollywood Boulevard.

PHOTOS: Arson fires

Firefighters responded after 7 p.m. following a report that a car inside the parking deck was on fire, said Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Brian Humphrey. By the time they arrived, the fire was out, Humphrey said.

But a suspect's image may have been captured on one of the structure's video cameras; police were broadcasting a description of a white male in his mid-30s with a receding hairline and a ponytail.

more at link ...................... http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/fire/

Rash of arson fires continues, spreads across wider area

Most of the blazes were started on automobiles, but some spread to homes and apartments. The attacks ranged from the Westside to Hollywood and from the San Fernando Valley south to Lennox. By Saturday night, the Los Angeles police and fire departments were leading a multi-agency campaign across the county.

more at link .......................... http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arson-fires-20120101,0,2353473.story

This is getting really scary. Someone is going to get killed. :(

JMHO
fran

PS.... I don't know what article it was, but I saw where sterno was suspected in some of the cases. One couple was alerted their car was on fire out in the street, and when he looked out his car was on fire under the hood. But it quickly engulfed the entire vehicle and the tires exploded, both front and back....fran

Have there been recent budget cuts or any political controversies in this area regarding the fire departments of these municipalities? Just wondering if these fires are a statement by someone or someones.

As I stated last night, there has to be a more powerful accelerant than common grade gasoline, and I think the perp(s) have planned their attack areas well to get this far. I'm thinking a mentally disturbed (obviously) person with a grudge (real or imagined) on the people and or politics of the area. Look for rants in social media pertaining to this area over the past year and I think we'll find our perp(s).

Have there been recent budget cuts or any political controversies in this area regarding the fire departments of these municipalities? Just wondering if these fires are a statement by someone or someones.

Someone disgruntled about a building permit beef?

Officials from what looks like 3 different entities are speaking.. For the most, they are stressing that everyone needs to keep an eye open to what is going on in their neighborhood.. Leave porch lights on, lights on in parking areas, etc. Call 911 if anything suspicious is seen..

Most of the fires have started with car fires, they're not specifying what kind of incendiaries are being used.

The fires are happening in all sorts of situations. Apartment complexes, duplexes, single family homes.. Most have started in the carport areas. Garages are not "exempt"..

Resources are being called on from all over LA area. Including Homeland Security.

Latest count: 39 fires total... 7 last night.

PD is asking for any private security videos in the areas where fires have happened. PD is not ready to release any videos or suspect descriptions yet.

(Still listening to the press conference, the officials are still talking, but in the background you can hear the sirens of equipment rolling out of the station where the press conference is happening.)

They showed a map of the fires.. They are NOT going to publish their map or give a full list of incidents because the map is in use by the investigators. They are trying to validate each and every incident to determine that they are tied to the same M.O. of the arsonist(s).

Video just cut off.. This press conference is over.. They'll notify the media if more information becomes available.

Rash of arson fires continues, spreads across wider area

Most of the blazes were started on automobiles, but some spread to homes and apartments. The attacks ranged from the Westside to Hollywood and from the San Fernando Valley south to Lennox. By Saturday night, the Los Angeles police and fire departments were leading a multi-agency campaign across the county.

more at link .......................... http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arson-fires-20120101,0,2353473.story

This is getting really scary. Someone is going to get killed. :(

JMHO
fran

PS.... I don't know what article it was, but I saw where sterno was suspected in some of the cases. One couple was alerted their car was on fire out in the street, and when he looked out his car was on fire under the hood. But it quickly engulfed the entire vehicle and the tires exploded, both front and back....fran

There was a picture I saw somewhere that showed the flames extending from the garage and cars out into the driveway. It was a perfect line on the end. Weird.

Ok I found the pic.
http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/us/2011/12/31/los-angeles-hit-by-rash-arsons/#slide=13

There was a picture I saw somewhere that showed the flames extending from the garage and cars out into the driveway. It was a perfect line on the end. Weird.

Ok I found the pic.
http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/us/2011/12/31/los-angeles-hit-by-rash-arsons/#slide=13

Is that tenant escaping using a walker? Wow. That could have been a deadly incident if the firemen were not there on time.

This apt. has the cars parked right underneath in the carport. That is just like my daughter's best friends apt. in West Hollywood. She is now staying at my daughter's apt. in Santa Monica because she is too worried about a fire starting underneath their bedrooms. This whole thing is really frightening. And I am worried that it is copycats carrying it out now. :eek:

Is that tenant escaping using a walker? Wow. That could have been a deadly incident if the firemen were not there on time.

This apt. has the cars parked right underneath in the carport. That is just like my daughter's best friends apt. in West Hollywood. She is now staying at my daughter's apt. in Santa Monica because she is too worried about a fire starting underneath their bedrooms. This whole thing is really frightening. And I am worried that it is copycats carrying it out now. :eek:
It's not a walker.. It looks like a birdcage on wheels.. Picture 14 shows the guy again;
http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/us/2011/12/31/los-angeles-hit-by-rash-arsons/#slide=14

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back