NY NY - DAVID BERKOWITZ "Son of Sam"

Maury Terry in his book The Ultimate Evil tries to link a bunch of murders including the Manson slayings and Son of Sam shootings to the same satanist cults. The problem with this theory is that the Satanist cults he mentioned, well, let's just say there was no way they had the power or the influence to commit all these murders and get away with it. The organized Satanist cults in the US are not the ones you have to worry about, it's the renegade weirdos who think they have something to prove who are dangerous. People seem to like to throw around the word Satanist because it automatically strikes fear into some people.

As for Berkowitz being in a group who were all killers, I find that hard to believe because I don't think there is any evidence pointing to anyone else except for eyewitness testimony, which is notoriously unreliable.

I like Terry's book and I think it's possible that a cult did/does exist. I'm also wondering if that cult could be responsible for the murders of college students found in rivers.

I may have to dig Terry's book out and reread it, if I still have it.

BY ABBY D. PHILLIP
August 10, 2012 David Berkowitz, who gunned down 13 people, killing six, 35 years ago, says he hopes society takes the "glamour" out of guns.
In the wake of the Aurora, Colo. theater massacre and the mass shooting at a Wisconsin Sikh temple, Berkowitz is calling for an end to gun violence. "It's all senseless," Berkowitz told the New York Daily News from his jail cell in a maximum security facility in upstate New York.
"Society has to take the glory out of guns. Young people have no business carrying a gun."<snip>
He spends his time urging young men to avoid resorting to crime in moments of anger, he said. Prison, he told the Daily News, is not all it's cracked up to be.
"I think it's a big tragedy when I see young men with their macho faces like they're cool when I know they are really scared to death," he said. "I know because I've been there. Prison is a house of pain. It's not what you see in the media and on those crime shows."
He said, "One day, I hope that guns will lose their glamour, that it would be seen a social disapproval for those in gangs. I know that's a bit simplistic, but to me the whole tragedy is that young people are losing direction and don't value life or have no clue why they're on this Earth." more at link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/son-sam-ki...cres-senseless/story?id=16977824#.UCVerKDm6So

Yeah, I wanna hear what this whack job has to say.

DAVID, it isn't the guns, it's the people who use them. Apparently he is still in denial. First the dog made him do it and now it's the gun. Really???? Take some more meds, David.

I find his statements ironic, but maybe he has remorse. He supposedly has found God. Too bad his message comes too late for these latest tragedies...

I don't believe this pig found God.
I really don't give a damn what this guy has to say..
As stated, he probably found meds..

I don't feel he has any remorse.

RIP.. to all the victims

Goz

Ironic he says that. He is part of the problem.

I believe there were others involved.The eyewitnesses in the DeMasi-Lomino attack alone, prove that.Not only did the two surviving victims describe a Blonde man in an army jacket as the shooter, but another witness who saw him running from the scene, with gun in hand, also described the same assailant. berkowitz claims it was John Carr who did that shooting, and the composite drawing strongly resembles him.

Hmmmm, I had no idea this thread was here. I was born and raised in yonkers, just a few blocks from where David Berkowitz lived. My friend was a lifeguard at the pool in his building. We spent a lot of time at that building the summer of Sam. I saw David several times in passing.
It's been a really long time since I read any of the info so the detail are sketchy but man it was freaky to know he was sooooo close.

Hmmmm, I had no idea this thread was here. I was born and raised in yonkers, just a few blocks from where David Berkowitz lived. My friend was a lifeguard at the pool in his building. We spent a lot of time at that building the summer of Sam. I saw David several times in passing.
It's been a really long time since I read any of the info so the detail are sketchy but man it was freaky to know he was sooooo close.

Thats so interesting, have you ever read 'The Ultimate Evil' by Maury Terry?
Goes into great detail about what was going on in Yonkers during that period.Some of the others, believed to have helped Berkowitz, all lived around that same area.

I lived in the area at the time. Followed Maury Terry when he wrote as investigative journalist in local paper. Had close friends who lived nearby and on the aqueduct. I heard many first hand stories.

The 2 Carr brothers both died mysteriously. I read his book Ultimate evil, and creeped me out so bad that I had to remove it from my home.

IMO, DB was the fall guy. :twocents:

I still have vivid memories of the Summer of Sam... I lived near one of the victims and I was 16 at the time. And I have bone chilling memories of hanging out at Untermyer Park, seeing the graffiti and the strange folks there... Before ever having read Terry's book The Ultimate Evil. I think there was more than one killer, and The Carrs are the likely ones IMHO. But I do think Maury Terry took things way too far. The NYPD wanted this case closed ASAP which I believe was too hasty... and I am glad they reopened it. But it has been reopened for quite awhile, with no reports of any progress.... So I think it's not going anywhere. And the Carrs are dead anyhow. Oh well.

Back in the day, Untermeyer was the place to hang out. We did. :scared:

Back in the day, Untermeyer was the place to hang out. We did. :scared:

I lived down in the Bronx, so it wasn't a usual hangout for me, just a sometimes, when one of us had access to a car, and the stars were right... Anyhow, we thought we were "safer" up in Yonkers... And for years I just remembered it as a really really creepy, but really fascinating place. Never associated it with DB until I read The Ultimate Evil. To this day, I am so curious about Untermyer and would love to see it in the daylight (never have)! Is it still there?

I lived down in the Bronx, so it wasn't a usual hangout for me, just a sometimes, when one of us had access to a car, and the stars were right... Anyhow, we thought we were "safer" up in Yonkers... And for years I just remembered it as a really really creepy, but really fascinating place. Never associated it with DB until I read The Ultimate Evil. To this day, I am so curious about Untermyer and would love to see it in the daylight (never have)! Is it still there?

Yes it is. I grew up in Yonkers, husband from Bronx.
Late 60's early 70's we hung out there occasionally.
It has a very interesting background. I have looked deeply into this over the years. When I was dating my husband we would "park" sometimes :blushing: Pelham area and Pelham Bay. It could have been us. :scared:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untermyer_Park"]Untermyer Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

http://www.untermyergardens.org/

more interesting is history of Samuel Untermeyer.

I can't find a copy of "The Ultimate Evil", but would love to read it, and I am familiar with Maury Terry's thesis.

There seems to be quite a bit of circumstantial evidence that Berkowitz did not act alone.

Composite sketches and eyewitness testimony that appears to indicate different people, with only one or two of the sketches looking remotely like Berkowitz.

Odd individuals seen lurking near the crime scenes before the shootings, and strange cars (other than Berkowitz' Ford) cruising around.

The M.O. seems to vary somewhat from shooting to shooting; couples in parked cars, a lone woman executed on the street, two girls on a porch, etc.

I do think Berkowitz is a very sick, twisted individual, obviously. However, I do agree that some of his craziness may have been put on, in that he tried to make himself appear more psychotic than he was.

As well, I think the case is still open. Who exactly was involved and why is a big question. It seems odd that both of the Carr brothers died so mysteriously afterward. I do think it is worth reinvestigating the case, because there are enough weird indicators that it was a bit more than it appeared to be.

I can't find a copy of "The Ultimate Evil", but would love to read it, and I am familiar with Maury Terry's thesis.

There seems to be quite a bit of circumstantial evidence that Berkowitz did not act alone.

Composite sketches and eyewitness testimony that appears to indicate different people, with only one or two of the sketches looking remotely like Berkowitz.

Odd individuals seen lurking near the crime scenes before the shootings, and strange cars (other than Berkowitz' Ford) cruising around.

The M.O. seems to vary somewhat from shooting to shooting; couples in parked cars, a lone woman executed on the street, two girls on a porch, etc.

I do think Berkowitz is a very sick, twisted individual, obviously. However, I do agree that some of his craziness may have been put on, in that he tried to make himself appear more psychotic than he was.

As well, I think the case is still open. Who exactly was involved and why is a big question. It seems odd that both of the Carr brothers died so mysteriously afterward. I do think it is worth reinvestigating the case, because there are enough weird indicators that it was a bit more than it appeared to be.
Im sure you could find a copy on Amazon,I need to do that myself as mine fell apart at the binding and its been awhile since I read it.

Maury Terry is working on an updated version of The Ultimate Evil, supposedly with a lot of new information. Maybe it's best to wait for the new edition.

Um, I know no one who thinks that Satanism is a form of benign paganism. They're hedonists if anything. Plus, there are many forms of organized Satanism and many other groups, such as the OTO, that are lumped in with Satanist organizations. One of the reasons that his conclusions have not been debunked by any of the groups is because some of the groups, such as The Process, were no longer in existence by the time he wrote the book. As for Scientology, anything goes because those folks are crazy. (Just my opinion.)

The Process was not in existence anymore when TUE was released, however Robert DeGrimston is still very much alive, I believe he could've sued since he was the founder and head of the group for many years. Sam Carr could've sued too since the book basically accused him of being a violent drunk who beat his kids, and locked them in dark closets.

I find Maury's modern witch-hunt a bit tiresome, really. Satanists are the new Commies under the bed, it seems..

I do think DB killed alone, no matter what he said. I mean, the man claimed a dog was a demon. Come on. Credibility factor - zero. And many killers have pushed both the insanity angle and pointed fingers at others in order to evade full responsibility for their actions.

It's more than possible that Berkowitz killed all his victims himself. There are nut jobs out there with much higher body counts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back