IA IA - Denise Fraley, 30, Cedar Rapids, 12 Sept 1982

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 53DFIA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/53dfia.html

Denise Ordene Fraley
Missing since September 12, 1982 from Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa.
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: April 4, 1952
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 115 pounds
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes
•Medical: She is classified as disabled. A history of drug abuse.
•AKA: Maiden name Stark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Denise was last seen in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on September 12, 1982. She and her husband, David Fraley, were in a band and played at a private party in Cedar Rapids that evening. She disappeared afterward. David did not report his wife missing; Denise's family did so over a month after her disappearance when all their efforts to contact her had been in vain.
Denise and David had been married for five years prior to her disappearance and they have a daughter. There were episodes of violence in the marriage and at least once, Denise was hospitalized after claiming David attacked her. David filed for divorce in May 1982 and a judge granted a restraining order prohibiting him from contacting Denise or their child. After her disappearance it was determined that the couple used illegal drugs and both had been drug couriers.
Several of Denise's relatives in her home state of Missouri received a note from David shortly after her disappearance. The message stated "Denise Fraley: Don't mess with the Mafia." David explained to Denise's family that she had tried to run off with several thousands of dollars in drug money which was not hers, and he was afraid the Mafia wanted to kill her. He stated that her family should not travel to Iowa as a result.
Denise's family members stayed away for six months after she was reported missing as a result of David's warning. Her mother and sister made several trips to Cedar Rapids starting in March 1983, and hired an attorney to get temporary custody of Denise and David's daughter. While the child was living with her aunt, she stated she had seen her mother weighted down with rocks and thrown in a river. Investigators are uncertain if the story is true, as the girl was only a toddler when her mother disappeared. The Fraleys' divorce became final in 1984 and David was granted permanent custody of the child.
Foul play is suspected in Denise's disappearance.

Investigators
If you have any information on this case, please contact:
Iowa Missing Persons' Clearinghouse
800-346-5507
Email
OR
Cedar Rapids Police Department
319-286-5346

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number: M-141931927
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Charley Project
Gazette on line

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fraley_denise.html
Denise's Husband is the prime suspect in her case.

Denise is not listed in NamUs at this time.

All archived articles are pay-per-view that could be found.

Denise has been missing for almost 28 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• Denise Ordene Fraley.bmp
    52.8 KB · Views: 25
I remember going with her to the YWCA, i was maybe 14, 15 years old. She had bruises all over her body, it was awful.She was getting in a whirlpool at the drop in womens safe house...I remember when she lived in an old farmhouse, where my family actually had lived once, years previous, on hiway 30, and 80th St Sw, it has been since torn down, we were on our way to our newer home, and she was in the ditch, trying to get away from her husband, he caught up with her and was hitting her. I didnt understand why we didnt stop and try to help....what a nightmare it must have been, and little did I realize then, but in another 5 years or so, I found myself in a similar situation. If I hadn't "played dead" more than once, I may have been her...prayers out for a resolved case.

Bumping with NAMUS: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17088/

DFraley.jpg

Denise Ordene Fraley
Missing since September 12, 1982 from Cedar Rapids, Linn County, Iowa.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: April 4, 1952
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 115 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes
  • Medical: She is classified as disabled. A history of drug abuse.
  • AKA: Maiden name Stark
    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Denise was last seen in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on September 12, 1982. She and her husband, David Fraley, were in a band and played at a private party in Cedar Rapids that evening. She disappeared afterward. David did not report his wife missing; Denise's family did so over a month after her disappearance when all their efforts to contact her had been in vain.

Denise and David had been married for five years prior to her disappearance and they have a daughter. There were episodes of violence in the marriage and at least once, Denise was hospitalized after claiming David attacked her. David filed for divorce in May 1982 and a judge granted a restraining order prohibiting him from contacting Denise or their child. After her disappearance it was determined that the couple used illegal drugs and both had been drug couriers.
    Several of Denise's relatives in her home state of Missouri received a note from David shortly after her disappearance. The message stated "Denise Fraley: Don't mess with the Mafia." David explained to Denise's family that she had tried to run off with several thousands of dollars in drug money which was not hers, and he was afraid the Mafia wanted to kill her. He stated that her family should not travel to Iowa as a result.
    Denise's family members stayed away for six months after she was reported missing as a result of David's warning. Her mother and sister made several trips to Cedar Rapids starting in March 1983, and hired an attorney to get temporary custody of Denise and David's daughter. While the child was living with her aunt, she stated she had seen her mother weighted down with rocks and thrown in a river. Investigators are uncertain if the story is true, as the girl was only a toddler when her mother disappeared. The Fraleys' divorce became final in 1984 and David was granted permanent custody of the child.
    Foul play is suspected in Denise's disappearance.

Investigators
    If you have any information on this case, please contact:
    800-346-5507 OR
    Cedar Rapids Police Department
    319-286-5346

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number: M-141931927
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    Gazette on line

I have the impression that the mafia paid him or at least asked David to eliminate his wife. Perhaps she did want to escape with the drug along with David, but perhaps he betrayed her to the mafia. Whatever, David is involved in her death.. besides being an alcoholic and a drug addict...
rest in peace denise

The mafia? (spartan this post not directed at you; just commenting on what I think was a ridiculous claim by DF)

The mafia in Cedar Rapids Iowa? Cosa Nostra everywhere I guess. Musta been 6 Families instead of 5. I would sooner have believed that she’d been taken prisoner by the KGB and was being held at the Kremlin. “Better not come to Linn County, there are angry KGB agents everywhere!”

And somehow, it worked!

Did LE follow up on what the daughter told the aunt? Doesn’t sound like there was much of an investigation, but who knows, there’s not much info online. And besides, DF said Denise was a courier, so…

Is DF still on this side? Maybe there’s still a chance for justice. Would love an update from LE, because it sounds to me like DF might’ve gotten away with murder. Hoping for justice for Denise!

All Jmo

It’s such nonsense. David Fraley claims the CEDAR RAPIDS MAFIA is to blame?!? C’mon… that’s my home territory and there is no Cedar Rapids mafia, what a joke. He should’ve picked something more believable, like maybe he thinks aliens kidnapped her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back