British student murdered in Perugia, 3 suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't followed it as closely as most of the cases I do here (Caylee, Haleigh, Somer, Shaniya, et al) but I have kept up with it since the Daily Mail (UK) first reported the murder.

What's your opinion on the evidence and the verdict?

There is so much contradictory evidence as well as allegations of Italian police mistakes. :waitasec:

22-Year-Old Seattle Student Is Sentenced to 26 Years in Prison

An Italian court found American student Amanda Knox guilty today of murdering her roommate Meredith Kercher and sentenced her to 26 years in prison.

The midnight verdict prompted Knox, 22, and her family members to break down in tears, sobbing loudly in the jam packed courtroom.

The Seattle woman, who has spent the last two years in an Italian jail cell, was also convicted of sexual assault.

Knox's former boyfriend and co-defendant Raffaele Sollecito was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Both were ordered to pay millions of dollars to the Kercher family.

Moments after the judge read the verdict and word filtered outside the crowded courtroom, Italians gathered in the street shouted "26 years!"
<<<SNIP>>> More at the link....

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WN/AmandaKnox/amanda-knox-verdict-guilty-murder/story?id=9241592

I sure remember this case......

On CNN they said the prosecution showed an animated film of what had happened that night. Gee.. Its going to be on Larry King tonight also.

I have to admit to not following this case very closely, but wasn't there a confession at one point? Did the defense claim that was coerced...or what was the deal there? And the footprints in the blood?

Her demeanor after the fact was appalling. It's really what made me pay attention at all.

I have to admit to not following this case very closely, but wasn't there a confession at one point? Did the defense claim that was coerced...or what was the deal there? And the footprints in the blood?

Her demeanor after the fact was appalling. It's really what made me pay attention at all.

coerced and language barriers et al

On CNN they said the prosecution showed an animated film of what had happened that night. Gee.. Its going to be on Larry King tonight also.

yeah I want to see that

the reporter said she thought it would have a powerful effect on a jury

they sure got the defendants outta there in a hurry after the verdict

coerced and language barriers et al

Thanks!

Despite speaking fluent Italian? I have to admit to always being skeptical of coercion claims and especially in this case, since she's never seemed traumatized by the events of that night.

They say the appeals process often shortens the sentences, so...it doesn't sound like she'll be spending life in prison by any means. So many comments on NG exclaim that this never would have happened in America and she would have been better off here, but I'm not so sure. If an American jury found her guilty, she'd be looking at more time.

yeah I know - sorry I didn't make myself clear

typing fast while watching these feeds

I meant though that the reporter seems to have been in court the entire trial from the way she spoke and may have seen more of the entire picture than we have in just getting snippets here & there

I'm just not sure what to think
I keep wavering back & forth

This poor kid never had a chance. I remember the news there was showing her shopping for launderea (bras and panties) lol....Did you see that, way in the beginning, before the trial?

what a bunch of maniacs - they just showed AK's family leaving and her dad pushed a reporter 'cause he wouldn't get outta their way

Thanks!

Despite speaking fluent Italian? I have to admit to always being skeptical of coercion claims and especially in this case, since she's never seemed traumatized by the events of that night.

They say the appeals process often shortens the sentences, so...it doesn't sound like she'll be spending life in prison by any means. So many comments on NG exclaim that this never would have happened in America and she would have been better off here, but I'm not so sure. If an American jury found her guilty, she'd be looking at more time.

My understanding is that she didn't speak fluent Italian in the beginning. I'll have to check my sources on that, but I'm almost positive I read that her Italian was basic in the beginning. Now she's fluent, but I would be too after that long in an Italian prison.

Regarding her fluency in Italian, here's a reference I just found:

"After her arrest, Amanda was detained by the police and interrogated for 14 hours. Amanda, who wasn't fluent in Italian at the time, was provided with neither a professional interpreter nor a lawyer. She later told her parents that her interrogators deprived her of sleep, smacked her in the head a number of times, and asked her to visualize what might have happened to Meredith the night she died."

http://www.marieclaire.com/world-reports/news/international/italian-exchange-student-murder

I've read that she wasn't completely fluent - I've read both versions actually

She insisted on speaking to the jury in Italian. She herself has said numerous times she was fluent. In fact, I heard her speak on television and she is fluent.

This poor kid never had a chance. I remember the news there was showing her shopping for launderea (bras and panties) lol....Did you see that, way in the beginning, before the trial?

I read about it, where they said she & R. were talking about using the lingerie later that night etc.

I'm not sure I ever saw the video

& then it came out that she needed to buy underwear b/c she couldn't access her house (sealed off) and had no clothes

I've read that she wasn't completely fluent - I've read both versions actually

This is what I mean when I say there is a lot of contradictory evidence.

My understanding is that she didn't speak fluent Italian in the beginning. I'll have to check my sources on that, but I'm almost positive I read that her Italian was basic in the beginning. Now she's fluent, but I would be too after that long in an Italian prison.

That would make sense.

She insisted on speaking to the jury in Italian. She herself has said numerous times she was fluent. In fact, I heard her speak on television and she is fluent.

She is fluent now, but she wasn't at the time of her "confession" in the beginning. At least that is my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam