IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is difficult for me to say what exactly happened with CR. I didn't tell my close girlfriends about some men depending on the situation. It is frustrating because a bunch of college students can be so unpredictable or sometimes act in strange ways that may or may not mean something. I don't think I will ever feel comfortable making firm conclusions as to the exact nature of all of the relationships in this group.

I hope we get quick resolution whether this is her or not.

Hi guys! I'm a first time poster to the LS board and a relatively new member of WS, but a LONG time lurker. I usually don't get insanely interested in missing persons cases. Mainly because there's often times no promises of new information after a certain time and sometimes no resolution. However, Lauren's disappearance is captivating in the worse sense of the term between the perfect set of bad circumstances and the eerie silence that's not very prevalent among the public whereas they usually want to do what they can to help. I'm only older than LS by a year and I can't imagine how terrible it would feel to be in her (or her family's) position and not have a single friend who would be willing to put themselves through the ringer to ensure my safe return. It's heartbreaking in more ways than one, but that bothers me the most.

Anyways, I don't have much to offer to the discussion that could possibly bring some new insight on this case. I just hope she's found soon (alive and well, preferably) for the sake of everyone that's involved.

Hi guys! I'm a first time poster to the LS board and a relatively new member of WS, but a LONG time lurker. I usually don't get insanely interested in missing persons cases. Mainly because there's often times no promises of new information after a certain time and sometimes no resolution. However, Lauren's disappearance is captivating in the worse sense of the term between the perfect set of bad circumstances and the eerie silence that's not very prevalent among the public whereas they usually want to do what they can to help. I'm only older than LS by a year and I can't imagine how terrible it would feel to be in her (or her family's) position and not have a single friend who would be willing to put themselves through the ringer to ensure my safe return. It's heartbreaking in more ways than one, but that bothers me the most.

Anyways, I don't have much to offer to the discussion that could possibly bring some new insight on this case. I just hope she's found soon (alive and well, preferably) for the sake of everyone that's involved.

Welcome! I agree, it's definitely disturbing how the people with LS that night haven't stepped up. My daughter is younger than LS (high school sophomore), and it's changed the way we discuss who she hangs out with and where. "Will they have your back?" is a big question for me. I like to think most will, but I realize that's not always the case.

The set of circumstances here (a "perfect storm," as you note) could have been altered at so many points: if Sports hadn't kicked LS out (which they allegedly did), if someone had stopped her from following CR out of SW, if JR hadn't let her leave alone so late and w/o a phone (which he claims he did). I guess that one bothers me the most ... and makes me wonder.

Does anybody happen to know if the alleged cell phone ping of JR's cell phone between 3 and 4 am june 3rd on a Martinsville cell tower tower is legit? Or is it just a rumor that has become quasi-fact? I have heard it from very early on in this case, including this forum and PT/HT/TG comments section. I just never heard if there was an actual coroboration or if that was just some pie in the sky fact-less rumor that people have ran with? I'm sure most of you have heard about that and we have covered cell phone ping's etc. several times. I just never got a straight answer on the JR cell ping info that has been flying around for the past 9 months. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

There was a search in the Martinsville area early on that prompted this rumor. I don't know if it was a GPS ping though. More likely a record from the billing department. There is a huge difference between the GPS coordinate of a cellphone and tower usage.
June 3 was a 90 degree day. It was 64 degrees when Lauren went missing.
This weather causes temperature inversions which cause tropospheric
ducting on cellphone frequencies. So, we need the cellphones GPS to determine where Jay Rosenbaum was.

I'm probably going to regret asking this since it seems silly, but i've been reading some older articles related to Lauren's disappearance and i've been seeing a LOT of comments that are supposedly from fellow Bloomington residents that claim the police killer Lauren, or covered her death up.. Can any of the locals clear this up for me. What are the whispers?

I'm probably going to regret asking this since it seems silly, but i've been reading some older articles related to Lauren's disappearance and i've been seeing a LOT of comments that are supposedly from fellow Bloomington residents that claim the police killer Lauren, or covered her death up.. Can any of the locals clear this up for me. What are the whispers?

I'm not a local but as far as I know, there were two people (Gabe Rivera and "Chickjustin") who posted various conspiracy theories about the police somehow being involved with Lauren's disappearance. I don't believe either of them were taken very seriously as both theories seemed far fetched and mostly incoherent (MOO).

I'm not a local but as far as I know, there were two people (Gabe Rivera and "Chickjustin") who posted various conspiracy theories about the police somehow being involved with Lauren's disappearance. I don't believe either of them were taken very seriously as both theories seemed far fetched and mostly incoherent (MOO).

Those two names are the only ones I remember talking about that theory as well. Interestingly, from what I've pieced together just from comments I've read online (mostly on twitter) "Chickjustin" is bi-polar and was in a manic state at the time she was making all of those statements and at some point it appears she was hospitalized and once she was stabilized, released and was back online again she sounded much more coherent and it looks like she has deleted most of the statements she had made regarding all of that. I'm not sure if she ever directly states that she officially retracts those statements but that seems to be the case.

I haven't had a chance to review the latest threads so I apologize if this has already been posted and discussed but, does anyone have any updates or thoughts about the likelihood of this being Lauren:

http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=497332

I haven't had a chance to review the latest threads so I apologize if this has already been posted and discussed but, does anyone have any updates or thoughts about the likelihood of this being Lauren:

http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=497332

Snipped by me. I haven't found much about this on-line, except that an anthropologist has been called in to assist the coroner and that Jasper County itself has no missing persons. (http://www.pressmentor.com/news/x872942206/Skeletal-Remains-turned-over-to-anthropologist.)

I wonder if the need for an anthropologist suggests the skeleton has been there awhile? That's makes me think it not be LS. But that's just a guess on my part ... maybe there's a lot of decomposition based on environmental factors?

Spring has started early in Indiana. Anyone hears about any new searches coming up please post in a new thread so it does not get lost.
Thank-you.

Snipped by me. I haven't found much about this on-line, except that an anthropologist has been called in to assist the coroner and that Jasper County itself has no missing persons. (http://www.pressmentor.com/news/x872942206/Skeletal-Remains-turned-over-to-anthropologist.)

I wonder if the need for an anthropologist suggests the skeleton has been there awhile? That's makes me think it not be LS. But that's just a guess on my part ... maybe there's a lot of decomposition based on environmental factors?

In warm weather, a body exposed to air and insect life decomposes to a skeletal stage quite rapidly, in a few weeks to a few months.

Were there any reports of people who disappeared near the Embarras (pronounced AM-braw) River around Champaign or Mattoon? I am not sure the Embarras is large enough to carry away a body at Champaign. Anyone else know?

In warm weather, a body exposed to air and insect life decomposes to a skeletal stage quite rapidly, in a few weeks to a few months.

Were there any reports of people who disappeared near the Embarras (pronounced AM-braw) River around Champaign or Mattoon? I am not sure the Embarras is large enough to carry away a body at Champaign. Anyone else know?
There was flooding in southern IL in June of last year. So a location upstream is possible.
The roads are poor from Bloomington to Newton so, it doesn't make sense for this to be Lauren. The chances are this is a murder victim from the Chicago area who was dumped. Newton is just a short drive off the interstate highway that goes south from Chicago.
Besides, we still have a flicker of hope that Lauren will be found alive. I give this 15 percent odds of being Lauren, 85 that it's someone else. Why can't they give us a clue in less than 30 days? That's hard on families and there are dental records and height to go on as well.

There was flooding in southern IL in June of last year. So a location upstream is possible.
The roads are poor from Bloomington to Newton so, it doesn't make sense for this to be Lauren. The chances are this is a murder victim from the Chicago area who was dumped. Newton is just a short drive off the interstate highway that goes south from Chicago.
Besides, we still have a flicker of hope that Lauren will be found alive. I give this 15 percent odds of being Lauren, 85 that it's someone else. Why can't they give us a clue in less than 30 days? That's hard on families and there are dental records and height to go on as well.

The roads aren't that bad from Bloomington to Newton. You'd take 46 out of town to Terre Haute, then I-70 to Effingham, then get off the Interstate and start looking for a secluded area.

You'd think, if they thought this was Lauren, we'd be getting more info from the media.
Let's just hope they can ID ASAP.

I hate to even say this because it's so icky, but around where I live, a dead deer can be reduced to a skeleton literally overnight, as long as the buzzards see it.

Everytime I wear my pink ballet flats I think of Lauren

Hoping we get some answers soon

You'd think, if they thought this was Lauren, we'd be getting more info from the media.
Let's just hope they can ID ASAP.

I share your hope, but I don't know that lack of info from media means anything one way or another. Just my opinion, of course, and heavily influenced by what just happened in Hailey Dunn's case...lots of very strong hints (moo) that her remains had been found, but apparently this wasn't the case at all. But as always I am hoping right along with you...and, like Dan, thinking of Lauren each time I put on my ballet flats.

1025116.jpg

Those things on her wrist. The one in the middle by itself.

Last year on the 4th of July I found one of those while taking photos in the gravel area. It was laying on one of those bricks you park your car against as you park. I still have it and it looks like the one on her wrist.

I posted a picture of it on here somewhere exactly where it was laying before I picked it up. But I cannot find that picture now.

1025116.jpg

Those things on her wrist. The one in the middle by itself.

Last year on the 4th of July I found one of those while taking photos in the gravel area. It was laying on one of those bricks you park your car against as you park. I still have it and it looks like the one on her wrist.

I posted a picture of it on here somewhere exactly where it was laying before I picked it up. But I cannot find that picture now.

Actually I can picture this post in my head because I've wondered a lot about how likely a ponytail holder would be to stay at or near the place it was dropped. I would assume not likely, but since I've been thinking about it I've noticed a number of small items, eg a tube of Chapstick on the ground outside the university fitness center, that have been in the same spot for months, through all kinds of weather. I know it is litter and I should pick it up, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. :waitasec:

You want me to look for the post?

Actually I can picture this post in my head because I've wondered a lot about how likely a ponytail holder would be to stay at or near the place it was dropped. I would assume not likely, but since I've been thinking about it I've noticed a number of small items, eg a tube of Chapstick on the ground outside the university fitness center, that have been in the same spot for months, through all kinds of weather. I know it is litter and I should pick it up, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. :waitasec:

You want me to look for the post?

Thank-you. I have the photo somewhere around here on a CD. But cannot locate it. I think not long after I sent the image to BPD and they never responded back, though I am not 100 percent sure I sent it, I believe I did. I agree the chances it was Lauren is remote, but at the time I found it I did-not know she wore those things until later when I started looking at her photos when I got back home. I was just speculating after being there and if it was hers, it may had been left like a trail. After she came out the alley and dropped her stuff there by the handrail that were found minutes later by another person, that perhaps if she was being taken to a waiting vehicle parked there by the gravel pit maybe she dropped it also to let someone know she was there in that spot also. I agree with you that its a low probability it is hers, but the fact is she did wear those, and I found one in the area where she went missing or was last seen anyways.

I never been a believer she was last seen walking down college from 11th street around 415 am. Because she had been arrested before for public intoxication I believe the charge was. So she would have went back home down the alley and not down college. Though all MOO and speculation on my part. If she is on tape walking home at that time from 11th and college than show it to us. I wont believe it until i see the video tape.

I remember you posting the photo of that bracelet, MrTT.

Is the clasp (or bracelet) broken or missing, or is the bracelet intact and just not fastened? I don't recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth