GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

No questions from the prosecution for grandma. Kathy Taft's daughter took grandma's hand when she walked by. <3

So the family minister is finally talking about the Taft family. Good.

Now that i'm a grandma, i understand her feelings. My mom used to say, "there but for the grace of God, go I." I know i'm a soft touch. I'm bawling for her.

Doggone right, me too with respect to 'go I'. I teared up for the grandmother too. 85 years old, terrific mind, and what a huge and loving heart.

aaaawwww, you can hug him, padre? How sweet. I wonder how Kathy's children feel about hugging their mom. Wait. They can't. JW murdered her.

Well, it took the Pastor to finally, finally mention "Kathy Taft."

Nuff said.

I kept waiting for Mr. W. to express how sorry he was for the loss of KT. It doesn't appear that JW's immediate family feels or shows any sort of compassion towards the innocent victim and her children/family.

And almost worse, IMO -- why didn't the defense atty ask him??

So call me a softie, but I felt Mr W's testimony was moving. What hit me is that he still sees the good in his son. He kept looking and connecting with him, and JW was looking at him in return, his first time responding to anything that is going on by making eye contact. That made me want to cry, b/c as NCEast said, that's real unconditional love. JWs death will probably destroy this man, maybe that is the point in his testifying.

I agree with Mad, this isn't a DP case, and as I have said before, it should have been resolved without trial for a LWOP plea. I don't see any point in this DP pursuit; it just exacerbates the pain of everyone involved. I used to be a staunch supporter of the DP, wrote a paper in college supporting it. Now, I think it's archaic, economically ridiculous and psychologically damaging to the victims' and defendant's families. It takes too long, is too expensive and drags everything out over a lifetime of appeals.

Alcoholism and addiction are horrible diseases, as is mental illness (depression). Geez, this is all so tragic. Look how many lives have been ruined.

:goodpost: thank you. i feel the same.

aaaawwww, you can hug him, padre? How sweet. I wonder how Kathy's children feel about hugging their mom. Wait. They can't. JW murdered her.

And some day jason will be able to hug his loved ones 'good-bye'. Something taken from kathy taft, the ability to say goodbye to her children/grandchildren.

So let me just say here 'jason started to hang out with the punk kids', 'the bad seeds'. IIRC, wasn't that about the time where we parents stepped in and said 'I don't want you hanging out with so & so.....' Neighborhood friends no more......jason chose the punk gang.

It's very sad that JW didn't continue his friendship with this current witness. He has gone far in his young life.

You know this type of case does make me wonder. I wonder about nature vs. nuture and just how that works. I remember quite well, two little boys in my first grade class. They had been held back a year. They were both what most people would consider OUT of control. They teased, cut up, acted out, cursed, hit, etc. Their parents seemed to have no control over them. One boy had two brothers who were nothing like him. His parents worked in the same company my dad worked and they were nice, law abiding people.
These two boys struggled with basic reading and even sitting in a classroom was almost impossible. Somehow they struggled through with suspensions until they were in their teens and in so much trouble with juvenile authorities that they were sent to reform school. They never finished high school.

By the time one of the boys was 21 years old, he was arrested and convicted of First Degree Murder. IT was shocking. He always denied it, but the word was it was drug deal gone wrong. He served many years in prison and was released about 6 years ago. He got married, had a child and is supposedly doing well.

The other boy has done so many drugs that he is brain damaged and he walks around his town talking out of head. He has served many years in prison too.

I sometimes think of those two little boys and recall how frightened most all of the other students were of them. I think many knew where they were going, but no one could seem to stop it.

Not to worry about JW's father. Even if JW does get the DP, it's essentially in name only. He will not be executed any time within the next 20 years, if ever. He will, in essence, be in prison just like if he'd gotten LWOP. He'll die of natural causes and probably some period of time, maybe a long time, after his parents pass away.

It's very sad that JW didn't continue his friendship with this current witness. He has gone far in his young life.

Yup, jason *chose* the puffing, huffing, burgling punk crowd. Even his friends who were still kids themselves saw jason was joining the punks.

Gosh, I used to take my kids to the skate place on Glenwood. Was it Skate Town or Skate Ranch?

You know this type of case does make me wonder. I wonder about nature vs. nuture and just how that works. I remember quite well, two little boys in my first grade class. They had been held back a year. They were both what most people would consider OUT of control. They teased, cut up, acted out, cursed, hit, etc. Their parents seemed to have no control over them. One boy had two brothers who were nothing like him. His parents worked in the same company my dad worked and they were nice, law abiding people.
These two boys struggled with basic reading and even sitting in a classroom was almost impossible. Somehow they struggled through with suspensions until they were in their teens and in so much trouble with juvenile authorities that they were sent to reform school. They never finished high school.

By the time one of the boys was 21 years old, he was arrested and convicted of First Degree Murder. IT was shocking. He always denied it, but the word was it was drug deal gone wrong. He served many years in prison and was released about 6 years ago. He got married, had a child and is supposedly doing well.

The other boy has done so many drugs that he is brain damaged and he walks around his town talking out of head. He has served many years in prison too.

I sometimes think of those two little boys and recall how frightened most all of the other students were of them. I think many knew where they were going, but no one could seem to stop it.

I'm not sure that any subsets of the medical/psych community will ever discover the answer to nature vs nurture. It's certainly a paradoxical mystery in some families wherein 3 kids turn out just fine and 1 doesn't.

I got the book "OUT WITH THREE" about the death of Bald Head Island, NC police officer Davina Buff Jones. It is riveting. Can't believe they have tried to call it a suicide to preserve the Island's reputation and tourism industry. I can't put it down. Definitely worth a look! I also bought "LOVE LIES" by Amanda Lamb. I couldn't find anything else about the Brad Cooper case. It's a gorgeous day, and I need some fresh air and sun, so I will sign off and come back later. Love you all,

I got the book "OUT WITH THREE" about the death of Bald Head Island, NC police officer Davina Buff Jones. It is riveting. Can't believe they have tried to call it a suicide to preserve the Island's reputation and tourism industry. I can't put it down. Definitely worth a look! I also bought "LOVE LIES" by Amanda Lamb. I couldn't find anything else about the Brad Cooper case. It's a gorgeous day, and I need some fresh air and sun, so I will sign off and come back later. Love you all,

Enjoy the fresh air and sun.....I am about to do the very same thing. I don't want to listen to any more of the JW cheerleading.

One of my daughters was a real *challenge* to raise. She tried to get in with certain *crowds*. But mom didn't work ( outside the home ), mom became quite adept at honing detective skills. Snooping, questioning, interrogation processes, etc. Lot's of kids hung out at our house after school, because I was a stay at home mom. Anyway, she was a challenge. When she turned 18, graduated, I told my friends "I was thrilled I'd managed to keep her alive, not pregnant, and graduated from high school.' But my job didn't end then, she still needed somebody keeping track of her goings-on. Now that she's a mom of a couple kids, one special needs, she's cried and apologized to me for 'all she put me through' growing up. She says 'now that I've had children of my own I truly understand how much you loved me and tried to keep me safe.' I write this in response to nature vs. nurture. Anybody else have thoughts on that? My other daughters were really easy in comparison. Not that they didn't have their moments, but certainly nothing as continuous and intense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back