the charges: 2nd Degree Child Cruelty and Murder - What does it all mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harris pleaded not guilty to charges of felony murder and cruelty to children. A new warrant was issued in Harris’ case, downgrading the cruelty to children charge to the second degree after it was discovered Harris returned to his car during his lunch break and still did not notice Cooper in the backseat.

http://behindblondiepark.com/2014/0...-cooper-harris-was-cherished-by-both-parents/
Just fyi that isn't msm:

Behind Blondie Park takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our readers only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent our opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual
k takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This

Justin Harris entered a not guilty plea in his first court appearance on Thursday night. A bond hearing was set for July 15.

Video of this Thursday night (6/19 court appearance)

http://www.11alive.com/video/3632204695001/1/Justin-Harris-hearing

on this night, the judge said the bond hearing would be July 15, but wasn't it on July 3?

I believe the July 15th hearing was supposed to be a bond hearing before.a Superior Court Judge. Magistrate Judges don't, I think, generally decide bail in felony cases. They can, however, under certain conditions.

I'm at work and can't find the statutes at the moment, but I will tonight when I get a chance.

I think tlcya is right that it was held in the same proceeding because the defense wanted it del with ASAP (and because of the media attention I think).

I also believe that he can only be held for 90 days without bail and no grand jury indictment. That's still a ways away... but it does put a time limit on things.

Just fyi that isn't msm:

Behind Blondie Park takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our readers only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent our opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual
k takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This

Lol, some MSM doesn't take responsibility for its content, either....

ITA

Very, I mean very enlightening that the prosecution does not need to show/prove intent.
Why even have a trial, just charge him and sentence.
It's a proven fact RH was the one that caused the death of his son. I thought the whole question was accident or murder.
What's the sense of all the news - the hype - getting public opinions - testing/retesting of cars/car seats if there's no need to prove accident/murder.

:doh:

my opinion, etc. :moo:

Lets be reasonable. They still have a lot to prove.

Also in Georgia, a conviction for felony murder may be predicated on second degree child cruelty, which qualifies as that "inherently dangerous felony." That's what has happened so far in this case. The prosecution has charged Harris with second degree child cruelty, and used that charge as the predicate felony for the murder charge. There's just one problem: The second degree cruelty charge is a negligence crime.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/08/opinion/cevallos-hot-car-felony-murder/index.html

link to the the case cited in the article above (blue text is embedde link), White vs State, was appealed and the appeal was unsuccessful. The mother was found guilty of the child cruelty and neglect and murder of her daughter.

Janice White appeals her convictions for felony murder while in the commission of cruelty to a child in the second degree, aggravated assault, and cruelty to a child in the first degree, in connection with the death of her infant daughter, Daija White. For the reasons that follow, we affirm in part and vacate in part.[SUP][1]

[/SUP]https://www.courtlistener.com/ga/88Uz/white-v-state/

The defendant in that case left her infant daughter with a man who continually abused the 10 month old. The baby had layers of bruising on her little body from belts. She had been shaken hard enough to cause injury. There is no way, based on her statements to LE and the layers of bruising that his woman didn't know what was happening to her little girl.

I have NO problem with this woman being convicted of felony murder. I wish the charge was available in every state to deal with people who allow their new mates to torture their kids.

because it is more complex than that IMO which is why there is so much debate about these charges.

The murder guilt hinges on the neglect charges. So when we analyse all this, we have to think about what is the burden of proof on the neglect charge. Does he have to be conscious that he is committing a neglectful act? Does he have to be aware he is doing something neglectful that could result in death?

That is where the nitty gritty of the debate goes IMO.

It looks as if there are those who view it like this:

If he genuinely forgot his child was in the car but the mere act of forgetting constitutes that level of neglect then

a) that is basically saying forgetting a child in a car is automatically always 2nd degree neglect, which in the state of GA also means you can be charged with felony murder.

or

b) if awareness is the burden of proof then the individual must be proven to have had that AWARENESS to be proven guilty

Then there are others who seem to feel

If you leave your child in the car, aware or not, forgot or knew, and that child dies, you are straight up guilty of criminal neglect and therefore also guilty of felony murder under the law as written in GA. (no a or b, just one road to travel and all roads lead to guilty - I fall into this school )

I'm taking a look at what crimminal negligence means in the State of Georgia. I found this.

So it doesn't mean an intentional act but it implies knowledge of probable consequences and also willful or wanton disregard of the probable effects. To me, for the state to prove criminal negligence, which is required for the 2nd degree child cruelty and then the felony murder to be applied, a willful or wanton disregard must be proven.

To me a willful or wanton disregard for the death of a child is a deliberate and unprovoked act. I'm not sure how that could happen unintentionally. It seems that intent would be involved somehow.

How will a jury see this?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/the-crime-of-reckless-conduct-in-georgia

Here's what I wrote, guys, that may explain it better. (It's not perfect but it's pretty good):

This is what they would need to find in order to find him guilty of felony murder:

1. Ross Harris knew the likely consequences of forgetting or leaving Cooper in a hot car for hours. He had a reasonable "foresight" of the probable injuries of being left in a hot car.
2. He deliberately or recklessly disregarded the consequences of forgetting Cooper or was neglectfully indifferent to Cooper's rights and safety (did not care).
3. As a result of Ross Harris' reckless disregard of the consequences of leaving Cooper in a hot car, or as a result of his neglectful indifference to the rights and safety of Cooper, Cooper died.
4. Cooper died in a cruel and/or excessively painful manner.

It is unnecessary to find that a) Ross intended to kill Cooper. b) Ross intended to cause serious bodily harm to Cooper.

Can they find that it was a pure accident? Well, that depends on what you mean by accident. Is it an accident if a person forgets their children in car because they decided to get super high? They know it is dangerous. They should be more vigilant, but they are reckless or indifferent about the safety of their children, because their own needs, their own desires to go get wasted are more important?

Although that is not the situation here, that is a situation that could result in the same charges and it is one in which the actual death or the harm resulting from being baked in a hot car, was not intentional.

Going off the list above, here's how I think the charges could be proved:

1. Ross had recently been made very aware of hot car deaths involving children, via reading about the Georgia safe kids in cars program and by doing independent research of how long it would take a living being to die in a hot car. He was well aware of the danger to a child resulting in such an event.
2. Despite such knowledge and awareness of what could happen, Ross he didn't take reasonable precautions to prevent from forgetting Cooper, such as putting belongings he needed to take, in the back seat, attaching a note to his dash, having his wife call or text him after arrival at work, etc.
- Or, despite such knowledge and awareness of what could happen, he was quite unconcerned about the possibility of Cooper dying in a hot car, so he forget his kid in the 30 seconds it took to turn left or right out of the Chik-fil-A parking lot, and in the 2 to 3 minute drive to work, and in the 30 seconds he sat in his car before exiting, leaving Cooper behind.
- Or, despite such knowledge and awareness of what could happen, he just didn't care about what happened to Cooper and was more concerned about his own affairs, such as working, sexting, going to movie, so he just left him there, possibly knowing he left him or leaving without knowing when all the facts - 30 seconds after leaving the parking lot of Chik-fil-A, he turned the wrong direction, 3 minutes in a small car with an awake Cooper, he doesn't realize he needs to drop him off, 30 seconds parked in the lot, he doesn't realize Cooper is there, despite the fact that the car seat is jammed up against the side of his face, practically - show that he should have known.
3. Cooper died because his dad, despite clearly knowing what could happen to Cooper in a hot car:
a) took no reasonable precautions to stop from forgetting him;
b) didn't care what happened to Cooper and was narcissistically immersed in his own affairs or needs and desires instead of doing what he needed to keep Cooper safe, so he forget him;
c) knew Cooper was in the car but cared more about his own needs than Cooper's life or safety;
d) reasonably should have known Cooper was in the car, and should not have forgotten him under the circumstances, because a halfway decent parent would not have forgotten under those same circumstances.
4. Cooper died horribly with great suffering as shown by the frantic injuries to his head and face and his open eyes and protruding tongue.

I think that practically, the jury would have to find much more than a pure accident that could happen to many people - you know, a lot on the mind, little sleep, uncharacteristically quiet/asleep child during the drive, constant phone calls or distractions during the drive, a difference in routine that day, etc.

But they don't have to go all the way to finding he intended to murder Cooper or even that he intended to cause him any harm.

This isn't a question about the current charges, but I figured the legal experts might see this question if I posted it here.

If RH gets charged with additional crimes, like charges stemming from sexting and meeting the underaged female, will he have another court appearance?

Thank you for any insight.

This isn't a question about the current charges, but I figured the legal experts might see this question if I posted it here.

If RH gets charged with additional crimes, like charges stemming from sexting and meeting the underaged female, will he have another court appearance?

I have questions too.

It's my understanding he will have to be taken to Cherokee County to answer to the charges.
I was wondering isn't it a federal crime? Possessing underage *advertiser censored*

"Joseph Reese, 31, cried as he pleaded guilty to the Receipt of Child *advertiser censored* before United States District Court Judge Clay Land in federal court Wednesday morning."
http://m.wtvm.com/#!/newsDetail/13912016

This was Georgia and it's Federal.

Yes ma'am. New charges would equal new court appearances.

By the way, do you have a source that he meet the minor for sex? I know her met a woman at a park in Acworth, but I don't remember them specifying who she was. Please and thank you!

I have questions too.

It's my understanding he will have to be taken to Cherokee County to answer to the charges.
I was wondering isn't it a federal crime? Possessing underage *advertiser censored*

Lots of things violate both state and federal laws.

"Joseph Reese, 31, cried as he pleaded guilty to the Receipt of Child *advertiser censored* before United States District Court Judge Clay Land in federal court Wednesday morning."
http://m.wtvm.com/#!/newsDetail/13912016

This was Georgia and it's Federal.

Good find. I think, however, he faced federal charges because the victims were spread out across the country.

Good find. I think, however, he faced federal charges because the victims were spread out across the country.
Ahh! That makes sense. I was trying to figure out why Woodstock police are asking Cobb County about anything.
It had to have occurred in Cherokee County and it had to be contact with a minor. Wouldn't it?
Adults can sext and hook up. No other reason a police department would care is there? Even then, if it was consensual, in GA it's not illegal unless the Feds want to step in?
So then I am back to solicitation of a minor on an electronic device.
Sorry. I am really trying to understand.

All posts are MOO. Sent via Insignia Flex Tablet.

Yes. He would have new arraignments and preliminary hearings.

I have questions too.

Possession of child *advertiser censored* is not a federal crime unless it happens on federal lands. However, receiving child *advertiser censored* via the mail or wire (Internet), or sending it via wire or mail, is always a federal crime. It is also a state crime but if the Feds choose to prosecute, they trump state charges, pretty much. In other words, if the charge is the same, either the feds ir the state will prosecute but not both and if the Feds want the case they get it.

What we often see is fed child *advertiser censored* charges and state child molestation charges prosecuted simultaneously. Different charges.

Ahh! That makes sense. I was trying to figure out why Woodstock police are asking Cobb County about anything.
It had to have occurred in Cherokee County and it had to be contact with a minor. Wouldn't it?
Adults can sext and hook up. No other reason a police department would care is there? Even then, if it was consensual, in GA it's not illegal unless the Feds want to step in?
So then I am back to solicitation of a minor on an electronic device.
Sorry. I am really trying to understand.

All posts are MOO. Sent via Insignia Flex Tablet.

If he is soliciting sex with a minor via the phone line, that's a federal crime. But it is also state. A minor must've been involved here.

Here's what I wrote, guys, that may explain it better. (It's not perfect but it's pretty good):

This is what they would need to find in order to find him guilty of felony murder:

1. Ross Harris knew the likely consequences of forgetting or leaving Cooper in a hot car for hours. He had a reasonable "foresight" of the probable injuries of being left in a hot car.
2. He deliberately or recklessly disregarded the consequences of forgetting Cooper or was neglectfully indifferent to Cooper's rights and safety (did not care).
3. As a result of Ross Harris' reckless disregard of the consequences of leaving Cooper in a hot car, or as a result of his neglectful indifference to the rights and safety of Cooper, Cooper died.
4. Cooper died in a cruel and/or excessively painful manner.

It is unnecessary to find that a) Ross intended to kill Cooper. b) Ross intended to cause serious bodily harm to Cooper.

Can they find that it was a pure accident? Well, that depends on what you mean by accident. Is it an accident if a person forgets their children in car because they decided to get super high? They know it is dangerous. They should be more vigilant, but they are reckless or indifferent about the safety of their children, because their own needs, their own desires to go get wasted are more important?

Although that is not the situation here, that is a situation that could result in the same charges and it is one in which the actual death or the harm resulting from being baked in a hot car, was not intentional.

Going off the list above, here's how I think the charges could be proved:

1. Ross had recently been made very aware of hot car deaths involving children, via reading about the Georgia safe kids in cars program and by doing independent research of how long it would take a living being to die in a hot car. He was well aware of the danger to a child resulting in such an event.
2. Despite such knowledge and awareness of what could happen, Ross he didn't take reasonable precautions to prevent from forgetting Cooper, such as putting belongings he needed to take, in the back seat, attaching a note to his dash, having his wife call or text him after arrival at work, etc.
- Or, despite such knowledge and awareness of what could happen, he was quite unconcerned about the possibility of Cooper dying in a hot car, so he forget his kid in the 30 seconds it took to turn left or right out of the Chik-fil-A parking lot, and in the 2 to 3 minute drive to work, and in the 30 seconds he sat in his car before exiting, leaving Cooper behind.
- Or, despite such knowledge and awareness of what could happen, he just didn't care about what happened to Cooper and was more concerned about his own affairs, such as working, sexting, going to movie, so he just left him there, possibly knowing he left him or leaving without knowing when all the facts - 30 seconds after leaving the parking lot of Chik-fil-A, he turned the wrong direction, 3 minutes in a small car with an awake Cooper, he doesn't realize he needs to drop him off, 30 seconds parked in the lot, he doesn't realize Cooper is there, despite the fact that the car seat is jammed up against the side of his face, practically - show that he should have known.
3. Cooper died because his dad, despite clearly knowing what could happen to Cooper in a hot car:
a) took no reasonable precautions to stop from forgetting him;
b) didn't care what happened to Cooper and was narcissistically immersed in his own affairs or needs and desires instead of doing what he needed to keep Cooper safe, so he forget him;
c) knew Cooper was in the car but cared more about his own needs than Cooper's life or safety;
d) reasonably should have known Cooper was in the car, and should not have forgotten him under the circumstances, because a halfway decent parent would not have forgotten under those same circumstances.
4. Cooper died horribly with great suffering as shown by the frantic injuries to his head and face and his open eyes and protruding tongue.

I think that practically, the jury would have to find much more than a pure accident that could happen to many people - you know, a lot on the mind, little sleep, uncharacteristically quiet/asleep child during the drive, constant phone calls or distractions during the drive, a difference in routine that day, etc.

But they don't have to go all the way to finding he intended to murder Cooper or even that he intended to cause him any harm.

You did good. I'm going to clarify some on what you said, and be really literally, for others who might not understand. Also, this is based on the current charges.

Ok, let's start here:

O.C.G.A. § 16-5-70 (2014)

§ 16-5-70. Cruelty to children

(a) A parent, guardian, or other person supervising the welfare of or having immediate charge or custody of a child under the age of 18 commits the offense of cruelty to children in the first degree when such person willfully deprives the child of necessary sustenance to the extent that the child's health or well-being is jeopardized.

(b) Any person commits the offense of cruelty to children in the first degree when such person maliciously causes a child under the age of 18 cruel or excessive physical or mental pain.

(c) Any person commits the offense of cruelty to children in the second degree when such person with criminal negligence causes a child under the age of 18 cruel or excessive physical or mental pain.

(d) Any person commits the offense of cruelty to children in the third degree when:

(1) Such person, who is the primary aggressor, intentionally allows a child under the age of 18 to witness the commission of a forcible felony, battery, or family violence battery; or

(2) Such person, who is the primary aggressor, having knowledge that a child under the age of 18 is present and sees or hears the act, commits a forcible felony, battery, or family violence battery.
(e)(1) A person convicted of the offense of cruelty to children in the first degree as provided in this Code section shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years.

(2) A person convicted of the offense of cruelty to children in the second degree shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years.

(3) A person convicted of the offense of cruelty to children in the third degree shall be punished as for a misdemeanor upon the first or second conviction. Upon conviction of a third or subsequent offense of cruelty to children in the third degree, the defendant shall be guilty of a felony and shall be sentenced to a fine not less than $1,000.00 nor more than $5,000.00 or imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than three years or shall be sentenced to both fine and imprisonment.

And then we have...

O.C.G.A. § 16-2-1 (2014)

§ 16-2-1. "Crime" defined

(a) A "crime" is a violation of a statute of this state in which there is a joint operation of an act or omission to act and intention or criminal negligence.

(b) Criminal negligence is an act or failure to act which demonstrates a willful, wanton, or reckless disregard for the safety of others who might reasonably be expected to be injured thereby.

Alright. That takes care of what is expected to be proven for the Cruelty To Children (2nd degree).

Willful, wanton, & reckless. What are these?

All three definitions are from Oran's Dictionary of the Law (Can't find my hard copy of Black's and don't feel like breaking out my laptop for my digital copy... but this will work). And these are the first definition for each word...

Willful - Intentional; deliberate; on purpose.

Wanton - Reckless, heedless, malicious.

Reckless - Reckless can mean anything from "careless and inattentive" or "indifferent to consequences" to a willfully disregard for danger to the life or safety of others," but usually involves more than negligence, and can lead to both civil and criminal penalties.

Alright, so jumping back to OCGA § 16–2–1(b) real quick, we have criminal negligence as an "act or failure to act which demonstrates a willful, wanton, or reckless disregard for the safety of others who might reasonably be expected to be injured thereby."

Bear with me, pretty please, but let's throw the legal definition of "reasonable" in here, too.

Reasonable - A broad, flexible word used to make sure that a decision is based on the facts of a particular situation, rather than on abstract legal principles. It has no exact definition, but can mean fair, appropriate, moderate, rational, etc. When reading the following examples, remember the definitions tend to be circular and depend on the actual situation, not on the precise words used. For example, reasonable care has been defined as, "that degree of care a person of ordinary prudence (the so called reasonable person) would exercise in similar circumstances."

Back to OCGA § 16–2–1(b) (again). An "act or failure to act which demonstrates a willful, wanton, OR reckless disregard for the safety of others who might reasonably be expected to be injured thereby.”

So, really, all the State needs to do is prove that RH was "careless and inattentive" (reckless) in leaving CH in the car seat in the car and that a person of ordinary prudence would know that children die when left in a hot car. And, lastly (jumping all the way back up to OCGA § 16–5–70(c)), they need to show that RH's criminal negligence (being careless and inattentive, i.e. reckless) leaving Cooper in the hot car caused him "cruel or excessive physical or mental pain."

I wish it was as simple as it sounds.

Finally, if you've successfully proven the Cruelty To Children (2nd degree) charge than you've also successfully proven felony murder.

O.C.G.A. § 16-5-1 (2014)

§ 16-5-1. Murder; malice murder; felony murder; murder in the second degree

(a) A person commits the offense of murder when he unlawfully and with malice aforethought, either express or implied, causes the death of another human being.

(b) Express malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof. Malice shall be implied where no considerable provocation appears and where all the circumstances of the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart.

(c) A person commits the offense of murder when, in the commission of a felony, he or she causes the death of another human being irrespective of malice.

(d) A person commits the offense of murder in the second degree when, in the commission of cruelty to children in the second degree, he or she causes the death of another human being irrespective of malice.

(e) (1) A person convicted of the offense of murder shall be punished by death, by imprisonment for life without parole, or by imprisonment for life.

(2) A person convicted of the offense of murder in the second degree shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten nor more than 30 years.

Simply because Cooper died during the commission of a felony (the "proven" charges above).

You did good. I'm going to clarify some on what you said, and be really literally, for others who might not understand. Also, this is based on the current charges.

Ok, let's start here:

And then we have...

Alright. That takes care of what is expected to be proven for the Cruelty To Children (2nd degree).

Willful, wanton, & reckless. What are these?

All three definitions are from Oran's Dictionary of the Law (Can't find my hard copy of Black's and don't feel like breaking out my laptop for my digital copy... but this will work). And these are the first definition for each word...

Willful - Intentional; deliberate; on purpose.

Wanton - Reckless, heedless, malicious.

Reckless - Reckless can mean anything from "careless and inattentive" or "indifferent to consequences" to a willfully disregard for danger to the life or safety of others," but usually involves more than negligence, and can lead to both civil and criminal penalties.

Alright, so jumping back to OCGA § 16–2–1(b) real quick, we have criminal negligence as an "act or failure to act which demonstrates a willful, wanton, or reckless disregard for the safety of others who might reasonably be expected to be injured thereby."

Bear with me, pretty please, but let's throw the legal definition of "reasonable" in here, too.

Reasonable - A broad, flexible word used to make sure that a decision is based on the facts of a particular situation, rather than on abstract legal principles. It has no exact definition, but can mean fair, appropriate, moderate, rational, etc. When reading the following examples, remember the definitions tend to be circular and depend on the actual situation, not on the precise words used. For example, reasonable care has been defined as, "that degree of care a person of ordinary prudence (the so called reasonable person) would exercise in similar circumstances."

Back to OCGA § 16–2–1(b) (again). An "act or failure to act which demonstrates a willful, wanton, OR reckless disregard for the safety of others who might reasonably be expected to be injured thereby.”

So, really, all the State needs to do is prove that RH was "careless and inattentive" (reckless) in leaving CH in the car seat in the car and that a person of ordinary prudence would know that children die when left in a hot car. And, lastly (jumping all the way back up to OCGA § 16–5–70(c)), they need to show that RH's criminal negligence (being careless and inattentive, i.e. reckless) leaving Cooper in the hot car caused him "cruel or excessive physical or mental pain."

I wish it was as simple as it sounds.

Finally, if you've successfully proven the Cruelty To Children (2nd degree) charge than you've also successfully proven felony murder.

Simply because Cooper died during the commission of a felony (the "proven" charges above).

Yeah, I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you that "reckless" can mean simply "careless and inattentive". It's got to be so much more than that:
Characterized by the creation of a substantial and unjustifiable risk to the lives, safety, or rights of others and by a conscious and sometimes wanton and willful disregard for or indifference to that risk that is a gross deviation from the standard of care a reasonable person would exercise in like circumstances - See more at: http://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/reckless.html#sthash.ntrvsrxR.dpuf
What is RECKLESSNESS?

A mental state characterized by a conscious and dangerous disregard of others’ safety, resulting in creation of a substantial risk of harm. Recklessness amounts to a greater degree of fault than negligence.

Law Dictionary: What is RECKLESSNESS? definition of RECKLESSNESS (Black's Law Dictionary) http://thelawdictionary.org/recklessness-2/
Recklessness Law & Legal Definition

Recklessness is defined as “a highly unreasonable omission, involving not merely simple or even inexcusable negligence, but an extreme departure from the standards of ordinary care, and which presents a danger of misleading buyers or sellers that is either known to the defendant or is so obvious that the actor must have been aware of it.” Siracusano v. Matrixx Initiatives, Inc., 2009 U.S. App. LEXIS 23716 (9th Cir. Ariz. Oct. 28, 2009) http://definitions.uslegal.com/r/recklessness/

So, I really wanted to touch on the statutes for bond hearings for felonies and the differences between the magistrate court judge and the superior court judge and the powers each has.

I also wanted to go over the state and federal child exploitation laws. I went over Georgia's somewhat the other night. I somewhat remember what I read... and I think it was somewhat ambiguous. But I don't want to open my mouth and be wrong :)

I got sidetracked and it was all gitana1's fault. I know you posted that analysis on another thread but I don't remember really reading it (sometimes I zone out...). I was impressed with the thinking and work you put into your post. I hope my follow up post was okay with you. I wanted to make sure people understood where you got the legal terms you used and the thought process (strategy) was coming from.

I'm so tired, though, I'm not even sure I am making any sense.

Yeah, I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you that "reckless" can mean simply "careless and inattentive". It's got to be so much more than that:

1) Disagree with Daniel Oran... :)
View attachment 54874

2) I really don't like that free online version of Blacks. Must find my hard copy ASAP and see what it says.

3) Your first definition still works for me. The last one... You have any Georgia case law re: "reckless?" I don't have WestLaw, much as I jones for it... and Zicam isn't doing it for me...

There is quite a bit of GA caselaw on "reckless" and gitana's right - it goes way beyond simple negligence; being inattentive or careless is not sufficient for criminal negligence. Criminal negligence is essentially knowing the substantial risk of serious harm to a child, and intentionally engaging in the conduct despite the known risk.

For a discussion on criminal negligence and recklessness, See Kain v. State, 650 SE 2d 749 - Ga: Court of Appeals 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288