Penn State Sandusky cover-up: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, Canada's still worse.

Here's Canada's notorious pedophile Graham James leaving a victim impact hearing yesterday. Even his lawyer describes him as "the most hated man in hockey".
I'd like to paste in the picture but you'll have to follow the link. Yes, it was cold in Winnipeg yesterday.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/23/victim-impacts-statement

James pled guilty to 350 assaults on two boys in 1997 and served most of a 3.5 year sentence, and incredibly was pardoned in 2007- a scandal which helped change the pardon law.
He was found coaching hockey in Spain and disappeared again. Another victim wrote a book and James faced hundreds of new charges from two more players. He was found hiding in Mexico, voluntarily returned to Canada and pled guilty again. He is now awaiting sentence.

Canada is lumbering along to pass a "tough on crime" revision to the Criminal code which would have minimum mandatory sentences for criminals like James- right now having more than six pot plants has a stiffer penalty. James will be sentenced before it comes into effect. The Crown is asking for six years with possible parole. The defence is asking for a conditional 1 to 1.5 years at large in the community.

Although every citizen is supposed to report child abuse of any kind, there appears to be no effective penalty.
This is part of what an investigative panel is saying, in effect that the coming law change will not go far enough:
"when sentencing offenders in these cases, to place less emphasis on an offender's previous good character, since it is not unusual for such offenders to lack a prior criminal record; and require the courts to emphasize the emotional and psychological harms caused to children in assessing the gravity of the offences and the conduct involved."

Wow - these new developments! :what:

Sandusky case subpoenas seek payment records
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=367243

HARRISBURG - A federal subpoena related to the child sex abuse scandal involving a former Penn State assistant football coach, sent to the university earlier this month, sought records of payments made by trustees to the school or to third parties on the school's behalf, a university spokeswoman said Friday.

Along with Sandusky and the university, the subpoena also sought information about athletic director Tim Curley, retired Vice President Gary Schultz and former President Graham Spanier.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that the subpoena sought hard drives from computers used by the four men, citing Powers, who did not return a follow-up call from The Associated Press.

Is that Michele Bachmann beckoning one of the children?
<snip>

It must have something to do with all the foster kids she's had?

But beyond that, I dunno. The Dorothy character helped everyone discover the good things they were looking for in their lives. On the other hand, Bachman's husband is rumored to be gay so is she enticing the boys from one bad situation into another?

I quit following politics a couple years ago because I got so sick of all the corruption, mudslinging, and plain old lies...

And I'm not clever enough to understand political cartoons. I can rarely figure out what they're trying to say, who's side they're on, who they're depicting, etc.

In this one, the Sandusky thing is obvious. The school mascot is a lion. Sandusky is a coward (yet a powerful lion - "cowardly lion") chasing the helpless kids.

I can pretty much gather that this cartoonist thinks the Occupy Wall Streeters want something for nothing and the employed garden workers are mad about that.

What's with the guy catching free acorns falling out of the tree? Is that a comment on the Acorn scandals?

Is that Michael Jackson's doctor handing out killer RX drugs to the Paterno scarecrow?

Why are the presidential candidates running across the yellow brick road? Are they ignoring current events and more concerned with their mad dash into the white house? I just don't get it at all.

<snip>

But beyond that, I dunno. The Dorothy character helped everyone discover the good things they were looking for in their lives. On the other hand, Bachman's husband is rumored to be gay so is she enticing the boys from one bad situation into another?

I quit following politics a couple years ago because I got so sick of all the corruption, mudslinging, and plain old lies...

And I'm not clever enough to understand political cartoons. I can rarely figure out what they're trying to say, who's side they're on, who they're depicting, etc.

In this one, the Sandusky thing is obvious. The school mascot is a lion. Sandusky is a coward (yet a powerful lion - "cowardly lion") chasing the helpless kids.

I can pretty much gather that this cartoonist thinks the Occupy Wall Streeters want something for nothing and the employed garden workers are mad about that.

What's with the guy catching free acorns falling out of the tree? Is that a comment on the Acorn scandals?

Is that Michael Jackson's doctor handing out killer RX drugs to the Paterno scarecrow?

Why are the presidential candidates running across the yellow brick road? Are they ignoring current events and more concerned with their mad dash into the white house? I just don't get it at all.

Thinking you are very astute! :what:

<snip>

Is that supposed to be Roy Kronk Casey is pointing at? LOL LOL

Wow - these new developments! :what:

Sandusky case subpoenas seek payment records
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=367243

HARRISBURG - A federal subpoena related to the child sex abuse scandal involving a former Penn State assistant football coach, sent to the university earlier this month, sought records of payments made by trustees to the school or to third parties on the school's behalf, a university spokeswoman said Friday.

Along with Sandusky and the university, the subpoena also sought information about athletic director Tim Curley, retired Vice President Gary Schultz and former President Graham Spanier.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that the subpoena sought hard drives from computers used by the four men, citing Powers, who did not return a follow-up call from The Associated Press.

Thinking that instead of getting their present charges dropped, Schultz, Curley and now Spanier ought to start worrying about facing new charges. Surely if there were booster payoffs to third parties, they all had to be involved in arranging them, IMO.

Also from your link:

Penn State spokeswoman Lisa Powers also disclosed that the Harrisburg-based U.S. attorney's office requested "reporting requirements of employers and staff relating to allegations of misconduct by staff or individuals associated with the university."

I'm glad the U.S. attorney is looking into those requirements also and whether they were met.

Penn State, board of trustees money trails under investigation by feds

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/02/post_318.html

Federal investigators are looking at trails of money from Penn State and its board of trustees, computer hard drives of top officials and complaints that the university might have received about Jerry Sandusky or his charity, The Second Mile.

The information was released by Penn State on Friday after news that it had been subpoenaed by the U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

The subpoena seems to indicate that the feds are conducting an investigation simultaneously with the one by a state grand jury, which led to more than 50 counts of child sex abuse charges against Jerry Sandusky and perjury charges against two top Penn State officials.

It also seems to show that The Second Mile could be under investigation, too.

(Although Gov. Corbett seemed to say TSM was not included his office denied that and said he meant when he was the AG)

Federal prosecutors also informally requested documents from The Second Mile, a source said.

An attorney for the late Joe Paterno, fired as the scandal unfolded, confirmed that files regarding Sandusky and kept by Paterno will be shared with federal prosecutors, too.

Penn State spokeswoman Lisa Powers said the university is cooperating with the request, dated Feb. 2, which asks for the following:

•Any records of any payments by Penn State board members to the university or to third parties on the university’s behalf.
•Information starting in 1998 about Penn State, ousted President Graham Spanier, Athletic Director Tim Curley — he is on administrative leave — and retired Vice President Gary Schultz, Sandusky and The Second Mile.
•Hard drives from all four men, complaints, correspondence and out-of-court settlements about Sandusky or The Second Mile.
•Reporting requirements relating to allegations of misconduct by staff or individuals associated with the university.
Some members of the Penn State board of trustees, reached by phone Friday, said they had no indication of why those records were being requested.
------

Carter has interviewed for a position Penn State has created in the wake of the scandal for someone to solely handle Clery Act compliance.

Right now, that responsibility falls within the university police department.

“Only the Department of Education can say authoritatively that an institution was in violation of the Clery Act,” Carter said. “So, the best I can say is that I believe there is evidence of it.”

By law, individuals can’t be charged with violating the act. Only an institution can be charged, Carter said, and the law outlines the procedure for mandated reporting to include any official with significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including an athletic director or team coach.

------

Prosecutors say Schultz, head of university police at the time, and Curley never gave the 2002 report to campus police — the Clery Act reporter for Penn State.

That year, Penn State originally reported to the U.S. Department of Education that it had no sex offenses on campus.

Two years later, Security On Campus called the school out on it, and then-Police Chief Tom Harmon acknowledged a mistake was made and updated the report to 13.

More at link....

The more I read information like the post StellarsJay posted above - the more I question how over the YEARS that people like Curley, Schultz, Paterno and all had NO FOLLOW UP
on what was going on with Sandusky.

No chance they 'forgot' what he did, what he was doing and what they should be doing to keep other kids safe. They remained silent to protect their own interests. MO

Still waiting for Arnold to respond to the latest CDT blog on Sporadic..Gricar. Lol.

In most jurisdictions, in her role as ADA, IF that's the capacity in which she testified at the grand jury, she would be foresworn from speaking publicly about her testimony. However, if she were somehow testifying at Sandusky's grand jury as a private citizen, then she's free to talk now about her testimony.

Doesn't matter. She's made it clear that Amendola--or whoever else wants to know, if only to sell newspapers--is getting nothing till the court determines when/how to release the g.j. testimony. Good for her. I like that sort of spunk in a person. Has fortitude to withstand the public baiting.

It's pretty clear that the locals who've challenged each other, largely in the social media, for literally YEARS now, are earnestly trying to either find out what happened to Gricar. Or defend a horse they have in that race. For us true-crime followers, it's an interesting case. For those who have a stake in the matter, it's much more. Yet we all discuss it in the same venue. A sea-change.

It has occurred to several people I know that the Gricar investigation might have been mishandled/delayed/whatever until some progress was made on the Sandusky and coverup front.

Can anybody point me to info about Christian Amos Goodall's suicide, and what "battling his own troubles" might have referred to?

http://www.centrecountycf.org/who-we-are/our-funds/memorial-fund-honorees.php

I believe he graduated PSU in June, 2010; his maternal grandmother died at a nursing home in Belleville, PA in August, 2010. He committed suicide at his parents' home Nov 2, 2010.

(His dad represented Lara Gricar in having Ray declared dead; Leslie Dutchcot was of counsel in Goodall's firm.)

At the link you can see the memorial funds set up in his memory at CCCF (where his dad is a Director).

In most jurisdictions, in her role as ADA, IF that's the capacity in which she testified at the grand jury, she would be foresworn from speaking publicly about her testimony. However, if she were somehow testifying at Sandusky's grand jury as a private citizen, then she's free to talk now about her testimony.

I don't blame her a bit for not talking, on the record or off. She might have been one of those few people who tried to stop Sandusky. If that turns out to be the case, JKA will get nothing but praise from me.

It's pretty clear that the locals who've challenged each other, largely in the social media, for literally YEARS now, are earnestly trying to either find out what happened to Gricar. Or defend a horse they have in that race. For us true-crime followers, it's an interesting case. For those who have a stake in the matter, it's much more. Yet we all discuss it in the same venue. A sea-change.

I change based on evidence.

It has occurred to several people I know that the Gricar investigation might have been mishandled/delayed/whatever until some progress was made on the Sandusky and coverup front.

There have been suggestions of another grand jury.

Every line of that article is perfect! It really cuts through the crapola.

The half-hearted effort to bring justice for Sandusky’s victims has gone on long enough. After years of feigned ignorance, deaf ears and outright enabling at every level of a public university, every level of a sinister charity, and every level of local and state law enforcement all the way up to the current governor of Pennsylvania, it is past time that the larger case be advanced.

There will be new questions asked by some very serious people, and new answers provided.

Answers too many have not wanted to get.

The half-hearted effort to bring justice for Sandusky&#8217;s victims has gone on long enough. After years of feigned ignorance, deaf ears and outright enabling at every level of a public university, every level of a sinister charity, and every level of local and state law enforcement all the way up to the current governor of Pennsylvania, it is past time that the larger case be advanced.

There will be new questions asked by some very serious people, and new answers provided.

I'm going to disagree just a bit.

The Two AG's: Corbett and Kelly
The AG initially only had Victim 1, and they had to ferret out the rest of the victims. Victim 2 took some time; they were searching message boards, but we don't know what else they did first. They then had to match up the photos in Touched to find Victims 3-5. Some thing led them to Victim 6 and the report. Then there were Victims 7-8. I can understand some delay. [Corbett was the first Republican candidate since 1990 that I did not contribute to, so there is no love lost there. Kelly is not running for the post this year and will probably be too old in 2020.]

The Two DA's: Salisbury and Madeira
The crime was out of Salisbury's jurisdiction, so he sent it to Madeira. Madeira had a legitimate conflict of interest (which I questioned) and sent it to the AG's Office. [And not only did I contribute to Madeira's opponent, but you should see the negative blogs I wrote about Madeira, including one titled "'Disingenuous'".]

Some of the people in the 1998 investigation
Det. Schreffler obviously did a good job with that 1998 report. There is at least the possibility that Arnold, an ADA, pushed for more to be done; that has not played out yet so I can't say for sure. [And you read he googlepages, you'll see that we do not get along at all.]

I don't really have any reason to complement these people, except that the did a good job. That said, there were a lot of failures by a lot of other people.

The half-hearted effort to bring justice for Sandusky’s victims has gone on long enough. After years of feigned ignorance, deaf ears and outright enabling at every level of a public university, every level of a sinister charity, and every level of local and state law enforcement all the way up to the current governor of Pennsylvania, it is past time that the larger case be advanced.

Did that article "editorial" really tell you anything new?

This appears to be at least a massive coverup. At least that. What I can't settle in my own mind is whether all these people who might be involved in it would have done so ONLY for money. (In 'money' I include everything related to dollars, ambition, protection of reputation--personal, institutional, community).

Am I so personally out of touch that I just can't imagine that being a sufficient motivation? Only my skepticism allows me to accept money as enough reason to conceal and enable. More deeply, I just can't believe it. Not of so many people.

Which leads me to personal motivations I CAN believe in. Like fear. Fear so enormous that it can only relate to perceived threat of life/health of self--or, more motivating--of loved ones.

Another personal motivation I perceive as sufficient to coverup or enable Sandusky: personal participation in child sex abuse. Sandusky could provide perceived low-risk victims. Society's "throw-away" children. And, money could buy that.

What else? What else? Searching because money might be enough for some, but surely not for all. What made it all go 'round?

Of course, I'm looking for "hush money" payments to victims. And not just Sandusky's own victims.

Which means I'm also looking for payments, via however circuitous a route, to Sandusky/his designated organizations or projects. Payments for personal use of a child.

Which then leads me to look for blackmail (payment same as above, and perhaps prompted by people other than/in addition to Sandusky). That sort of prostitution service has worked in politics before. Provide the service, then blackmail the recipient.

A related though to the hush money thing is: someone, a PSU trustee or other, could have his personal atty arrange to pay for settlement of a civil suit by a victim. Possibly through a designated financial contribution to PSU. If done properly, it would be legally okay. Just helping out the university with their legal costs. All it would raise is eyebrows, assuming no other evidence were found involving that individual. I see a sticky wicket of frustration in the future if this sort of thing is found. (As in, we know who did it, and suspect why, but they got away with it thanks to foresight and good lawyering. Dreading that possibility).

Other than those thoughts, I'm back to money, greed and ambition that exceeds the welfare of a child.

Did that article "editorial" really tell you anything new?

No, but as a summary it's rare to see everything mentioned in one article: the University Cover Up, possible pay-offs, possible RICO and CLERY charges, Sandusky's emails, crossing state lines to have sex with a minor, the connection to Second Mile, etc...

Isn't that enough? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member