WI WI - Unknown victim of Joe Clark, Baraboo

BUT Thad Phillips is the kind of punk (speaking from PERSONAL INTERACTION not just newspaper interviews) that I would not have been surprised to have leared that the situation was reversed. Even BEFORE he was kidnapped and tortured he was a violent and mean spirited person. Afterward he only got worse ... and it was multiplied because he wasn't punished for his own sadistic behavior."

I am trying to get a sense of how someone experiencing these injuries and having the rehab he must have had managed to create a situation where a shooting was justified. In the back no less. It is an interesting twist for sure. Thad had the will to live through all of this which must have come from somewhere for sure...

From your link Bluto, the shooter was charged with the attempted first degree murder. If his story was believed by LE, I would have assumed some kind of equivilent stand your ground law would have allowed him to protect himself when and if the boys had pushed in the back door. just a quick opinion.

Wow, I didn't realize this conversation had been revisited. Lots of new stuff here.

I should mention that I've been aware of this case in some detail since about 2001 or so, when I first saw the Cold Case Files episode, and have done quite a bit of research on it. The newspaper articles which I found (with the help of a site called Highbeam) covered the sexual fetish aspect of the case quite well. I have also been able to find a copy of the "Escaped" episode, it is in English with (I believe) Chinese subtitles ... I will try to find the link if people are interested.

I am trying to get a sense of how someone experiencing these injuries and having the rehab he must have had managed to create a situation where a shooting was justified. In the back no less. It is an interesting twist for sure. Thad had the will to live through all of this which must have come from somewhere for sure...

The simple fact of the matter of the shooting was that Thad and a friend were bullying a local boy, and the boy felt threatened. Apparently they had threatened to kill his pets, and had attempted to enter his house, which is when the boy fired the shot (BB). I believe I also read that the boy who was being bullied was developmentally disabled. The shooting really had nothing to do with Thad's injuries, and the incidents were connected only by time; Thad was scheduled to testify against Clark, but his testimony had to be postponed as a result of his hospitalization.

It is so difficult not to romanticize people we consider heroes. How can I say this...Heroes are not always what we want them to be. The comment quoted by Bluto above illuminates this fact very well. Thad's bravery made his escape heroic. But being heroic, and being a hero, are different things. I continue to be impressed by Thad's courage during (and, I'm certain, after) his ordeal. Who he was, who he is now, and what he has become, is a separate issue to me.

believe09 said:
I think about Thad frequently-I pray that his days are pleasant and full of love and success. He has to be one of the most resilient individuals I have ever, ever heard about.

As do I. As do I. I also hope that his resiliency carries over into other aspects of his life.

I hope that makes some sense to those of you who know me. :)

Saw this cold case files on this guy not too long ago. Wow....what a creep this one was, or probably still is. The whole vibe with this whole case....from his nasty *advertiser censored* house to him sneaking into houses in the dead of night and grabbing young boys...to the Leg Thing list....Just a creepy vibe all the way around....I love some cold case files, I wish A&E would start doing them again, and not re runs....start making brand new seasons. That guy who narrates for them, and the dude on forensic files are what makes those shows for me.

New member here... I just heard of this case and find it rather intriguing... I am going to bed now, but I will sure be back to talk about this, if anyone is interested...

I’ve been following this case since back around when it happened. Obviously before the internet / social media was big. So I forgot about it for a number of years until I saw Thad on the I survived episode as the Escaped episode. Crazy story. I’ve always wondered if there was an additional victim or if that was just something Joe made up since. I mean he was only 16/17 when he committed these crimes. The Chris Steiner murder still is a mystery. Obviously he sadly was killed so we don’t know everything that happened like we know with Thad. We do know Joe kidnapped him in a similar way. There was a slashed screen and a muddy footprint. Also Chris knew Joe because Joe hung out with his older brother so it was probably easier to gain his trust. I’m guessing Joe used the same ruse with Chris that he did with Thad, by saying all his friends are coming to the river. That river bank was supposedly a big place to party since it was secluded. Unfortunately for Chris it was also a place where Joe could perform his bone fetish on him then he obviously threw him in the river. One final thing. I’ve noticed some people talk about Thad’s shooting/bullying incident. I’ve also heard about this as well. Obviously I don’t know all the details so I don’t want to make accusations. However I’m sure the Hoe Clark incident was very traumatic for Thad and maybe he lashed out because of it. Not making excuses but just trying to give a reason. Like I said we don’t know all the details. Sorry if I rambled too much, it’s just a crazy story that I’ve followed in and off for over 20 years

New member here. Hi all. I saw this case a couple of times years and years ago. The I survived episode replayed this morning, and I wanted to see if anything new was online. It’s crazy what that child endured, & worse that someone could do that too him. I’m glad Joe is locked away. I think he very well could’ve done this to someone else. The only reason it stopped with Thad is because he had the strength and will power to push through. I often wonder if the shot to the back really had something to do with Thad’s case against Joe. You never know, people make up cover stories all the time. Lol! Ijs.

Hello, I am a lurker, I don't think I have ever posted here. this case is hard for me to let go of. I have broken both of my legs and was alone outside untill i was found. I can read about it in small increments and i have not made it ten minutes into anything with audio/ video. I break out with cold sweats and find i have forgotten to breath.
I wanted to share this podcast ( that i am to chicken to listen to) it's an interview with Joe Clark. It has been behind a paywall for years. I stumbled on it again and now its free.
Lmk if it's any good..... thanks for all the interesting reading
‎Criminal Perspective: DECLASSIFIED- Interview with 'Bone Breaker Killer' Joe Clark (w/ Criminologist, Dr. Lee Mellor) *Previous Patreon Exclusive* on Apple Podcasts
Edit:
My google search had another podcast on the very next link. It's with Thad. I wanted to edit so I could share that also, again I can't press play....
Survivors: Thad Phillips & Teri Jendusa-Nicolai by Happy Hour Gets Weird – Indie Drop-In Network
I hope it's interesting. Let me know everything!!!!

Last edited:
Hello, I am a lurker, I don't think I have ever posted here. this case is hard for me to let go of. I have broken both of my legs and was alone outside untill i was found. I can read about it in small increments and i have not made it ten minutes into anything with audio/ video. I break out with cold sweats and find i have forgotten to breath.
I wanted to share this podcast ( that i am to chicken to listen to) it's an interview with Joe Clark. It has been behind a paywall for years. I stumbled on it again and now its free.
‎Criminal Perspective: DECLASSIFIED- Interview with 'Bone Breaker Killer' Joe Clark (w/ Criminologist, Dr. Lee Mellor) *Previous Patreon Exclusive* on Apple Podcasts
Edit:
My google search had another podcast on the very next link. It's with Thad. I wanted to edit so I could share that also, again I can't press play....
Survivors: Thad Phillips & Teri Jendusa-Nicolai by Happy Hour Gets Weird – Indie Drop-In Network
LOL...girl, we both posted the same interview a few days apart on this decade old thread lol! We're definitely true crime lurkers!

Last edited:
I
Edit:
I'm still listening to it, and from what I'm gathering is Joe is trying to downplay his abuse. Lieing about what happened. Trying to make himself sound like he was a normal teenager. .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back