Health Food... or Health Fraud?

Dark Knight

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Beware of packaging propaganda: Food-industry health claims can be misleading, say researchers at the University of California, Davis.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You see, your supermarket's shelves are packed with overhyped health claims. And while many of these claims may be factual, they may also be giving you the wrong impression about just how healthful a product really is.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That's because marketers highlight what they want you to notice. Use this guide to learn the science behind the sales pitch. Call it the Eat This, Not That crib sheet for helping you to beat Big Food at its own game--and be ultimately leaner and healthier for life:[/FONT]

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/38570/health-food-or-health-fraud/

One of the first things I learned in changing my eating habits is the difference between "sugar free" products and "no sugar added" products.

Something can be "no sugar added" and still contain a lot of natural sugar.

I've seen that book around and I think I'm going to get it one of these days. But I don't really need a book to tell me that I shouldn't be eating Cheetos Puffs:croc:.

Dark Knight, thank you for the link, I totally need a book to help me figure out "tricks" in sales and labeling of products we may or may not consume.

One of the first things I learned in changing my eating habits is the difference between "sugar free" products and "no sugar added" products.

Something can be "no sugar added" and still contain a lot of natural sugar.

I've seen that book around and I think I'm going to get it one of these days. But I don't really need a book to tell me that I shouldn't be eating Cheetos Puffs:croc:.

WHAT!!!! :eek: Cheeto Puffs are bad for you??????

Aren't the three basic food groups COLD (ice cream), SWEET (cake), and SALT (chips)?

Aren't the three basic food groups COLD (ice cream), SWEET (cake), and SALT (chips)?

You forgot wine. :innocent:

But seriously, this is a major problem with food labels. Even when you think you are being "good" by eating low fat or reduced sugar, often a closer inspection of the label reveals that the low fat version only saves 1-2 grams of fat and makes up for the taste with extra sugar so you are actually getting MORE calories. Or vice versa. Plus who knows what all those chemicals they use to make it low fat are doing to you!

I think this is why I've struggled so many times to lose weight, but am now finding success with my current plan. To quote Jillian, don't eat it unless it grows from the ground or has a mother. And I don't remember seeing a Cheetos tree out back!

angelmom, do you have a thread about your current diet plan? I've gotten so lost in "low-fat" "high fiber" "heart smart", etc... The quote about growing from the ground or having a mother is fairly easy to understand, I'd like to hear more, if you can share the name of the plan you're using? Thanks in advance.

angelmom, do you have a thread about your current diet plan? I've gotten so lost in "low-fat" "high fiber" "heart smart", etc... The quote about growing from the ground or having a mother is fairly easy to understand, I'd like to hear more, if you can share the name of the plan you're using? Thanks in advance.

I'm not angelmom, but I watch Gillian McKeith religiously. Here's her website to check out. She has a great show called You Are What You Eat on BBC.

http://www.gillianmckeith.info/

It's from Jillian Michaels' newest book, Master Your Metabolism.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back