IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new interview. I think this is the second one the Spierer's have done since they've been back in New York. It's obvious they are trying to draw CR out of his cave.

Highlights: Robert says CR has not talked to the police at all. This is contrary to what was said early in the investigation. I recall it was reported he was cooperative and allowed searches of his apt, car, and credit card. Robert also said that Dietl has obtained info that the police do not have.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/parents-of-laruren-spierer-speak-out-20111219

Such a sad time for them. They are so committed it must be easier for them to do events and interviews than to disengage at this time.

Got to wonder what Bo Dietl is finding in this case. I believe PI are often good at getting info that LE is unable to get because PI's are able to hangout and circulate better and get more "off the record" kind of info.

Here's a recent interview with Bo about the Long Is. Killings to give an idea what he like:

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/good_day_ny/bo-dietl-20111216

Got to wonder what Bo Dietl is finding in this case. I believe PI are often good at getting info that LE is unable to get because PI's are able to hangout and circulate better and get more "off the record" kind of info.

I figure it's info from the kids who were at Sports and the altercation, basically the secondary tier.

Here's a recent interview with Bo about the Long Is. Killings to give an idea what he like:

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/good_day_ny/bo-dietl-20111216

He is so crude and irreverent it's hard for me to focus on what he says. But that may be an occupational hazard given the seasoned territory he's worked in. The LI case, good grief it's like a killing field. :tears:

But the two anchors, yikes, they are airheads. They ask unanswerable questions: How long do you think it will take? and Do you think there are other bodies to be found?

One thing I was thinking about recently relates to what Dietl said "You never want to eliminate anything." In Lauren's case, it would be JW.

This just in (I have Google alerts):

Fox59 spoke with Dietl on the phone and asked when the public will learn the new information he has uncovered. He was not willing to give us a time table.

Corey Rossman, issued a statement through his attorney.

“I pray for them every night,” said Rossman. “I feel sorry for them. I want to help them find Lauren. (As far as a polygraph), I’m not going to get them to bait me into commenting.”

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-spie...ghters-disappearance-20111220,0,511676.column

A new interview. I think this is the second one the Spierer's have done since they've been back in New York. It's obvious they are trying to draw CR out of his cave.

Highlights: Robert says CR has not talked to the police at all. This is contrary to what was said early in the investigation. I recall it was reported he was cooperative and allowed searches of his apt, car, and credit card. Robert also said that Dietl has obtained info that the police do not have.

Such a sad time for them. They are so committed it must be easier for them to do events and interviews than to disengage at this time.

I feel more :furious: than ever at whomever is responsible for making these people suffer.

Fox59 spoke with Dietl on the phone and asked when the public will learn the new information he has uncovered. He was not willing to give us a time table.

“I pray for them every night,” said Rossman. “I feel sorry for them. I want to help them find Lauren. (As far as a polygraph), I’m not going to get them to bait me into commenting.”

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-spie...ghters-disappearance-20111220,0,511676.column

I'm overwhelmed by his sincerity. :aktion1:

Boy, he has me in tears with that last bit...NOT.

The Bloomington Herald Times reports that Rossman's attorney denies making the statement reported above:
"Carl Salzmann... told The Herald-Times Tuesday night that he and his client continue to cooperate with police, 'and I hope we find her as soon as we can.'

Salzmann said other media reports that Rossman had issued a statement through him Tuesday were incorrect. "
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/st...-suggest-investigator-has-new-information.sto

The Bloomington Herald Times reports that Rossman's attorney denies making the statement reported above:
"Carl Salzmann... told The Herald-Times Tuesday night that he and his client continue to cooperate with police, 'and I hope we find her as soon as we can.'

Salzmann said other media reports that Rossman had issued a statement through him Tuesday were incorrect. "
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/st...-suggest-investigator-has-new-information.sto

If the comment reported was supposed to be a statement released thru the atty then I can believe what Salzmann is saying. That sounds like an off the cuff remark, not something you'd put on paper, proof-read, think about, and then read or even paraphrase.

I don't have a problem with what was said per se'... and anyone who reads it and suddenly has their guilt scales tipping his way should understand that is why the boy's aren't speaking because one bad turn of phrase and suddenly the guilt meter points to them. ...whether that is deserved or not.

It almost sounds like an off the record type remark given to a reporter to help clear up something the reporter had wrong or to point the reporter in a certain direction.

If the comment reported was supposed to be a statement released thru the atty then I can believe what Salzmann is saying. That sounds like an off the cuff remark, not something you'd put on paper, proof-read, think about, and then read or even paraphrase.

I don't have a problem with what was said per se'... and anyone who reads it and suddenly has their guilt scales tipping his way should understand that is why the boy's aren't speaking because one bad turn of phrase and suddenly the guilt meter points to them. ...whether that is deserved or not.

It almost sounds like an off the record type remark given to a reporter to help clear up something the reporter had wrong or to point the reporter in a certain direction.

I don't think it sounds like anything other than what it is: a disingenuous, insincere attempt to pity the parents and then stick it to them with that last bit to make them look like the bad guys.

He has had over six months to think through and prepare a statement and this is the best he can do? At the least he could have prepared something more meaningful before he agreed to the interview. Maybe this is as good as it gets with Mr. Sketchy.

I know I commented on the interview last night, but I have more to say.

First, I know this is obvious to everyone, so bear with me for a sec...it is so freaking unfair that they are not celebrating Chanukah with their daughter. It's just not right. This time of year is about family, food, and light. (See, I told you it was obvious.)

Second, the part about Bo Dietl...I realize that the Spierers had said earlier in the interview that they didn't have specific leads, but poster above is correct in saying that it would probably make people squirm. R. says he has stuff different from what police know, and he's not gonna say what that stuff is. If I was in any way involved in this situation, I would be a wreck after hearing that.

Third, at the very end of the interview, when C. was talking about many missing people who are never found, I had this mental image of her looking at a site like Doe Network or Charley Project...page after page after page of unexplained disappearances. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't think it sounds like anything other than what it is: a disingenuous, insincere attempt to pity the parents and then stick it to them with that last bit to make them look like the bad guys.

He has had over six months to think through and prepare a statement and this is the best he can do? At the least he could have prepared something more meaningful before he agreed to the interview. Maybe this is as good as it gets with Mr. Sketchy.

I could be missing something since I haven't clicked any video links and am just reading text, but if the comment was always supposed to have been a statement released by CR's attorney, and CR's attorney is directly denying he released such a statement then it only makes sense 1 of 2 things is happening:

Either the atty is flat out lying, or else he gave an off the cuff (possibly off the record) answer to a reporter who misinterpreted it as a statement released by CR.

Reading the comment it in no way looks like it would be a statement that CR would release thru his atty. It's clearly not prepared or polished. It does read like an off the cuff remark the atty might make to a reporter not meant to be directly quoted but meant to help the reporter sort some things out.

So the question I have, and maybe you know the answer to this, is the statement supposed to have come directly from CR to the reporter or is it supposed to have been released from the atty?

So the question I have, and maybe you know the answer to this, is the statement supposed to have come directly from CR to the reporter or is it supposed to have been released from the atty?

This tells me that the attorney gave (verbally or red) the statement. Having said that, the press could be wrong. The word "baited" sure sounds like the wording of an attorney, though, as opposed to a college kid. I have a son about his age. He'd never use the word "baited" (unless of course he was coached to do so). That said, the blatant disrespect does not seem to me to be the tone Salzman would want to take, especially at this time. Therefore, I believe this was either an "off the cuff" remark, made in jest, to a reporter OR it wasn't said (or was sad and twisted). I don't think any attorney would use this tone at this point, nor do I think that is the wording of CR.

It does read like an off the cuff remark the atty might make to a reporter not meant to be directly quoted...

This is what I assumed. While it doesn't seem like the kind of quote they would have wanted published, it does seem telling. All the POI seem to be very concerned with being portrayed as wanting to help the Spierers... just not concerned enough to, you know, actually help.

Seeing the Spierers' heartbroken faces on that video made me so sad, along with PJD's post above. Happy Hannukah to those of you who are celebrating -- and wishes for hope and peace to anyone who might be missing loved ones over the holidays.

I could be missing something since I haven't clicked any video links and am just reading text, but if the comment was always supposed to have been a statement released by CR's attorney, and CR's attorney is directly denying he released such a statement then it only makes sense 1 of 2 things is happening:

Either the atty is flat out lying, or else he gave an off the cuff (possibly off the record) answer to a reporter who misinterpreted it as a statement released by CR.

Reading the comment it in no way looks like it would be a statement that CR would release thru his atty. It's clearly not prepared or polished. It does read like an off the cuff remark the atty might make to a reporter not meant to be directly quoted but meant to help the reporter sort some things out.

Hard to say since Salzmann claims he didn't issue it. But certainly CR didn't agree to the interview w/o Salzmann's blessing. I can believe the report sequenced CR's comments for dramatic effect, especially since FOX news is notorious for this--and the parentheses is weird too. I have no problem believing CR used "bait" with such negative connotation. I figured he was parroting something his parents might have said after seeing the Spierer's interview.

Edited to add: Notice how FOX headlined the article, "The Spierer's said there are new developments in the case that could soon be released." The certainly did not say this on air and I get the sneaking suspicion they didn't say this off air either. I think FOX is making up the "soon" part.

This is what I assumed. While it doesn't seem like the kind of quote they would have wanted published, it does seem telling. All the POI seem to be very concerned with being portrayed as wanting to help the Spierers... just not concerned enough to, you know, actually help.

Seeing the Spierers' heartbroken faces on that video made me so sad, along with PJD's post above. Happy Hannukah to those of you who are celebrating -- and wishes for hope and peace to anyone who might be missing loved ones over the holidays.

Of course there's the other side of the coin where once they've told all they know that is relevant, then they've told all they know. So if that is the case and they truly aren't involved, no matter how much the Spierers would like them to give them more, maybe there's nothing else there?

Initially I thought it was reported everyone but JR had been cooperative and JR had only used his atty to give his side. But then we know now there was a meeting between JR and the parents. So the parents can't have it both ways. Either the guys have cooperated or they have not. Just because they haven't told them what they want to hear doesn't mean they haven't cooperated.

..Of course nothing is to say some or more aren't hiding something relevant as well...

Of course there's the other side of the coin where once they've told all they know that is relevant, then they've told all they know. So if that is the case and they truly aren't involved, no matter how much the Spierers would like them to give them more, maybe there's nothing else there?

Initially I thought it was reported everyone but JR had been cooperative and JR had only used his atty to give his side. But then we know now there was a meeting between JR and the parents. So the parents can't have it both ways. Either the guys have cooperated or they have not. Just because they haven't told them what they want to hear doesn't mean they haven't cooperated.

..Of course nothing is to say some or more aren't hiding something relevant as well...

It's not up to the POI to deem what is "relevant". And, there are varying degrees of cooperation. If POI are not talking to police as in an interview, then this falls short of full cooperation. I don't believe for a minute that any one of them has told everything, including MB. The Spierer's are not being unfair. Some of what they do and say is strategy. They have lost their daughter, what else do they have to lose?

<respectfully snipped> Just because they haven't told them what they want to hear doesn't mean they haven't cooperated.

I think the Spierers have been pretty clear in recent interviews about what they mean by not cooperating:

- refusing to speak directly to the police
- refusing to take a police administered polygraph
- refusing to meet with them to answer their questions

Of course, there are reasons that a lawyer may advise POI against doing these things, the obvious one being so that one does not incriminate oneself.

I do not believe that this level of cooperation corresponds to how normal people would act in this kind of situation (if, that is, their stories were actually true). While this is obviously an assumption and my own opinion, I think it's reasonable to be critical of why people who are persons of interest would make certain choices, even if it is within their legal right to do so.

I also feel that if you are going to cooperate at that (minimal) level, then it seems insulting to issue public statements (or have lawyers or mommies do it for you) that imply otherwise. It makes me cringe when the POI act as if they have no idea why Spierers would accuse them of not cooperating fully.

The way I look at it, once they retained lawyers, the police and parents should know these PsOI are not going to be an open book to them. There won't be a revolving door of sitdowns, repeated questions, etc.. It doesn't mean they are guilty- It means they are following the advice of their lawyers. And with that said, it seems to me like the cooperation they have gotten is more than I'd expect if the lawyers felt their clients were guilty.

I really have a hard time believing any of these people would return to Bloomington if guilty. The thought that it's part of a grand plan to not look guilty would be a stupid plan. But people who do illegal things aren't necessarily the smartest people around. There again, you might expect that brazen type of behavior from a hardened psychopath, but I think it's a stretch to attach it to average college students.

I really don't know what to think at this point. Maybe Dietl has something the police couldn't get. For one thing, Dietl isn't necessarily restrained by the Constitution like law enforcement would be.

The way I look at it, once they retained lawyers, the police and parents should know these PsOI are not going to be an open book to them. There won't be a revolving door of sitdowns, repeated questions, etc.. It doesn't mean they are guilty- It means they are following the advice of their lawyers. And with that said, it seems to me like the cooperation they have gotten is more than I'd expect if the lawyers felt their clients were guilty.

I really have a hard time believing any of these people would return to Bloomington if guilty. The thought that it's part of a grand plan to not look guilty would be a stupid plan. But people who do illegal things aren't necessarily the smartest people around. There again, you might expect that brazen type of behavior from a hardened psychopath, but I think it's a stretch to attach it to average college students.

I really don't know what to think at this point. Maybe Dietl has something the police couldn't get. For one thing, Dietl isn't necessarily restrained by the Constitution like law enforcement would be.

Listen to or read recent comments from interviews and you'll see that the Spierer's not only know that, they have acknowledged it publicly. You'll also get that they don't have exaggerated or unrealistic expectations along the lines of a "revolving door."

You are basically saying they should be happy for what they gotten from the POI thus far; the Spierer's are saying they want more information in order to better direct resources. If the boys are withholding information, and my bet is they are, then it could be they have been impeding the investigation for over six months and preventing the return of Lauren to her parents. This is not only morally reprehensible, it takes its toll on the community, in more ways than just taxes and public resources.

This phase is not a Who done it or Who is guilty? And this forum has had extended, productive discussions about the boys returning to school.The consensus as I recall was they would be foolish not to, especially if they played a role in her disappearance else they appear guilty. Furthermore, it was put forth that the attorneys would advise the boys to return to school.

As for the stereotype of hardened psychopaths vs average college boys...I just think it's prudent to keep an open mind. College boys are aggressive and do surprising things such as murder: Joran Van der Sloot, Philip Markoff, Michael Skakel ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88