FL - Tasered by cop while handcuffed, woman strikes head on pavement; now brain dead

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Tired of the bully-boy actions by some of our LE.

Pictured: The moment handcuffed woman, 20, was left brain dead after being Tasered for trying to escape police (Daily Mail)
A 20-year-old woman has been left brain dead - after she was Tasered by police and smacked her head on the ground.

Danielle Maudsley had been taken to a Florida Highway Patrol Station after being arrested for a suspected hit-and-run in September. Handcuffed, she ran out of the door.

But as footage from a police cruiser dashboard camera reveals, Trooper Daniel Cole, who this week was cleared of any wrongdoing, fired a Taser's electric probes into her back.

She spun, fell backwards and hit her head on the ground. Bleeding and crying she tried to get up. She then blacked out and has remained unconscious ever since.
---
'He couldn't reach out and grab her? He was an arm's length away. My daughter is dead because of this. She won't come back.'
---
more, with pictures and video, at link above

It's not due to the taser but because she fell and hit her head.
Which presumably could have happened even if he tried to grab her.

It's not due to the taser but because she fell and hit her head.
Which presumably could have happened even if he tried to grab her.
He's two big cop steps away from her in the video, at most. All he has to do is take a few strides and grasp her arm. She's handcuffed. Instead, he has to pull his weapon. Instead, he has to assert very nearly the utmost authority.

But still, why taser her when he could have just reached out and grabbed her?

He's two big cop steps away from her in the video, at most. All he has to do is take a few strides and grasp her arm. She's handcuffed. Instead, he has to pull his weapon. Instead, he has to assert very nearly the utmost authority.

He is a large man and if he tried to grab a much smaller woman who is running away the potential for injury is clearly still there.

He is a large man and if he tried to grab a much smaller woman who is running away the potential for injury is clearly still there.
So he shoots her with electrodes instead, guaranteeing that he is now no longer in control of what will happen to her, other than that she will go down. If he grabs her arm and asserts reasonable force, she does not fall.

So he shoots her with electrodes instead, guaranteeing that he is now no longer in control of what will happen to her, other than that she will go down. If he grabs her arm and asserts reasonable force, she does not fall.

She is trying to run away and you are assuming (for reason unclear to me) that if he grabbed her arm she would just stop. She was under arrest that didn't stop her from trying to run away. Why do you assume she was going to stop if he managed to grab her arm?

If he grabbed her arm he would have had a hold of her. Just tasering her ensures that she falls to the ground.

She is trying to run away and you are assuming (for reason unclear to me) that if he grabbed her arm she would just stop. She was under arrest that didn't stop her from trying to run away. Why do you assume she was going to stop if he managed to grab her arm?
Sorry, can't argue the point further. The point is clear. He's roughly twice her size. He chose to lose control of what would happen to her when he chose to shoot her with the electrodes. And all he had to do was catch up to her and hold her upright.

So this young woman was drunk and high on oxycontin, being held in the police station,and she RUNS away from custody,out into a parking lot. Hmmmmm...doesn't she have some responsibility for what happened as well?

If he grabbed her arm he would have had a hold of her. Just tasering her ensures that she falls to the ground.

He grabs her arm and then what if she starts fighting back and struggling? Then he uses matching force and we complain about that too. My question is why is she drunk and high and running from custody out of the station?

Does she just get a pass for that? She was under arrest and she ran from the police station. You have to assume that something bad might happen to you if you try something stupid like that.

So this young woman was drunk and high on oxycontin, being held in the police station,and she RUNS away from custody,out into a parking lot. Hmmmmm...doesn't she have some responsibility for what happened as well?
Yes, she does. But once she is in custody, her fate is in the hands of her captors. And we see what happened. She was shot in the back by an officer who could have maintained control of the situation without resorting to physical violence. He chose not to.

If he grabbed her and she fell people would be screaming why did he grab her? If she run into the busy road and got hit by a car people would be screaming why he didn't stop her. She had drugs in her system and was running away from the police. I don't blame the cop. I don't think he intended for her to end up in a coma.

He grabs her arm and then what if she starts fighting back and struggling? Then he uses matching force and we complain about that too. My question is why is she drunk and high and running from custody out of the station?

Does she just get a pass for that? She was under arrest and she ran from the police station. You have to assume that something bad might happen to you if you try something stupid like that.

None of that answers why he didn't use the option of trying to grab hold of her instead of reaching immediately for the more excessive force of a taser. I think its already been answered though - pure laziness.

Its like something that would happen in Syria.

If he grabbed her and she fell people would be screaming why did he grab her? If she run into the busy road and got hit by a car people would be screaming why he didn't stop her. She had drugs in her system and was running away from the police. I don't blame the cop. I don't think he intended for her to end up in a coma.
Psssht. You're smart, you can't believe that. I don't care if her system housed more pharmaceuticals than Bayer. He is two steps away. He could have controlled her easily. Instead, he pulls his trigger.

Sorry, can't argue the point further. The point is clear. He's roughly twice her size. He chose to lose control of what would happen to her when he chose to shoot her with the electrodes. And all he had to do was catch up to her and hold her upright.

You make it sound so easy and effortless...all he has to do is just reach out and grab her arm...nothing to it...I disagree.

People who are drunk and high and are running from custody pose a serious threat to LE when they fight back. She deserves some of the responsibility for the outcome because of the stupid choices that she made.

If she was a guy would she get a pass for her actions? I don't think so/

Why put all the blame on the cop for a situation that SHE herself created. She was high on Oxy's, and drunk and under arrest and she ran from the station. LOTS of stupid choices right there.

We're placing the blame on the cop because he is the professional in that situation, and he is also the sober one here. And no, I wouldn't be reacting any different if this was a man who had been tasered.

You make it sound so easy and effortless...all he has to do is just reach out and grab her arm...nothing to it...I disagree.

People who are drunk and high and are running from custody pose a serious threat to LE when they fight back. She deserves some of the responsibility for the outcome because of the stupid choices that she made.

If she was a guy would she get a pass for her actions? I don't think so/

Why put all the blame on the cop for a situation that SHE herself created. She was high on Oxy's, and drunk and under arrest and she ran from the station. LOTS of stupid choices right there.

I know, I know. I do. But I can see the size of the cop in the video. I can see the size of the woman. I can see exactly what happened in the instant. Were this not captured on video, I would agree with you. But there it is. She is not a guy. She is a woman, and she looks rather small, especially in comparison with Daniel Cole, the cop who chose to shoot her with his Taser. She was in custody and managed to escape - that is the fault of those who had her in custody. They allowed the situation to escalate. She was then shot in the back. She is now brain dead.

If everyone who makes "stupid choices" were dealt with by potentially lethal violence, God save us all. There must be accountability.

Psssht. You're smart, you can't believe that. I don't care if her system housed more pharmaceuticals than Bayer. He is two steps away. He could have controlled her easily. Instead, he pulls his trigger.

It wasn't a gun trigger. It was a taser and it was designed for situations like this. And how do you know her could have controlled her easily? She was drunk and high and impulsive, considering she ran from custody in the station.

She could have put up a very strong fight. Tasers are meant to prevent that kind of situation. It is tragic that she hit her head on the pavement. But considering the many bad choices that she made that afternoon I am not surprised.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back