VA - Aveion Lewis, 2, Roanoke, 14 January 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This case brings back to mind, an older case of little Joseph Wallace, who was returned to his violent and mentally unstable mother back in 1993. I will never ever for as long as I live forget little Joseph Wallace. It sure is amazing even this many years later, children are returned to abusive parents because it is believed it is in the best interest of the child to be raised with their 'natural' parent(s).

Watch over little Aveion will you please Joseph. I hope you two are playing together. Forever young.

http://en.allexperts.com/e/j/jo/joseph_wallace.htm

Oh, ok. Thanks.

CHIP is a private organization not part of city government. I would doubt they have the right (is that the word? sorry, half asleep here) to conduct investigations as CPS does. And there are strict laws preventing CPS from releasing any information on the case to anyone. So CHIP would be on the outside looking in, so to speak, as it would be CPS that would have all the details regarding medical exams/rehab, what the parents have done and how the supervised visits and in-home therapy sessions progressed.

http://chiprv.org/node/8

http://chiprv.org/about-us

I'd be interested in seeing the quote from CHIP; I know I probably read it somewhere along the line, just can't recall it at the moment. IF the refusal for home visit was toward a CHIP worker, there is nothing illegal in that; it's voluntary. They're under no obligation (as they would be with CPS) to participate.

You're right - it wasn't illegal for Aveion's "mother" to refuse their visits, but it was a red flag & CHIPS (supposedly) recommended that Aveion *not* be returned to his "mother".

This was discussed in the previous thread & there's links to the CHIPs story, and Michelle Sigona (she talked to CHIPs).

You're right - it wasn't illegal for Aveion's "mother" to refuse their visits, but it was a red flag & CHIPS (supposedly) recommended that Aveion *not* be returned to his "mother".

This was discussed in the previous thread & there's links to the CHIPs story, and Michelle Sigona (she talked to CHIPs).

I tried to edit my above post: 'ETA: that if this happened after custody was returned to the parents, then at the very least that should have triggered another investigation by CPS.

I'll look on the other thread about them refusing visits; I think it was on there I read about it.'

I remember reading that; I'll check it out (but apparently should wait until I'm more awake =\)

An older article regarding Joseph Wallace's murder and failure by the systems in place which were supposed to help him.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/07/26/u...illing-that-shook-chicago.html?pagewanted=all

His death became a lightning rod for critics of the Illinois child welfare system, much as the death of 7-year-old Elisa Izquierdo, who died at the hands of her mother in New York City. Joey's hanging forced sweeping changes in the state's child welfare system and led to the dismissals of the administrators who had insisted on returning him to his mother from foster care even though psychiatrists had warned that his mother was mentally unstable and might well kill him.

I can only hope the loss of little Aveion brings sweeping changes to VA state child welfare system as well.

maybe sold for drugs?

The United States has more technology (oh wait....I think I just said that yesterday)

There was supposed to be a candlelight vigil at 5pm today. Was there? I haven't even had time to check the news today. I've been cleaning house and as I was taking the trashbags out of the house, I stared down at the black trash bag and started sobbing, as the thought of little Aveion possibly put into one of those and dumped just like trash...just the thoughts of that is just too terrible to imagine. I honestly CANNOT believe this is really happening right here in our community. I feel like I am living in a nightmare or have been watching the most aweful horror movie ever made. My mind can't comprehend what HELL that beautiful little boy must have lived through in his short, short life. Somebody, PLEASE find him and put his precious little body to rest. This is tearing me apart so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was my understanding CHIP involvement was mandatory during the 5-6 month 'home trial period' while the dept of CPS/State still retained legal custody of Aveion and only became voluntary after the state returned legal custody to the bio mom.

IMO, it should have been a red flag that once Morgan Lockett regained legal custody she basically closed all doors to the assistance she and her dh were receiving for this child.

JMO

Cubby, I understood that the same way.

Beachlvr - I haven't even checked the news myself...I find that I'm as emotional about this as you are. I had thought about going to the vigil...but I just didn't think I could take it.

There was supposed to be a candlelight vigil at 5pm today. Was there? I haven't even had time to check the news today. I've been cleaning house and as I was taking the trashbags out of the house, I stared down at the black trash bag and started sobbing, as the thought of little Aveion possibly put into one of those and dumped just like trash...just the thoughts of that is just too terrible to imagine. I honestly CANNOT believe this is really happening right here in our community. I feel like I am living in a nightmare or have been watching the most aweful horror movie ever made. My mind can't comprehend what HELL that beautiful little boy must have lived through in his short, short life. Somebody, PLEASE find him and put his precious little body to rest. This is tearing me apart so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs. I finally broke down today too beach. Perhaps it was the article I commented about earlier, perhaps it is that my son is at his dads and I have some child free time that I just have sobbed several times today.

:( Phew...... My mind goes back to a Sunday in October of 2008 when my cat died. I drove all over trying to find a place to bring her. It happened to be unseasonably warm that day and in the 70's here. I knew I couldn't just dump my beloved pet of almost 20 years.

How does someone do this to a child? I can't wrap my mind around what would make someone dump a child. :(

Safer City is a program sponsored by The City of Roanoke Police Department to help citizens learn ways to help make our city safer.

I found the following FaceBook site when trying to find information on todays search for Aveion. Thought it might be helpful to add here.

http://www.facebook.com/rpdsafercity

found these two additional links regarding Safer City Roanoke via the above facebook link.

http://rpdsafercity.com/ (main site)

http://twitter.com/rpdsafercity (safercity on twitter)

It was my understanding CHIP involvement was mandatory during the 5-6 month 'home trial period' while the dept of CPS/State still retained legal custody of Aveion and only became voluntary after the state returned legal custody to the bio mom.

IMO, it should have been a red flag that once Morgan Lockett regained legal custody she basically closed all doors to the assistance she and her dh were receiving for this child.

JMO

Bouncing off your post, Cubby --

Michelle Sigona reported that CHIPs was involved with Aveion from an early age, and they are mandatory reporters - and they reported his case...that's when CPS/DSS stepped in & got him placed w/ foster care....CPS/DSS returned him to the house of doom, and CHIPs was denied visitation.

IMO, CHIPs was involved early on due to his congenital medical issues (just from reading between the lines from what all has been reported).

http://www.michellesigona.com/2010/01/search-warrant-reveals-more-into-aveions-life/

Aaaand, when I went back to read Michelle's report, I saw she's updated her post on Aveion's case:

A significant change in the Lockett’s family structure occurred in September 2009, when Aveion was returned to the home. This was approximately 4 months prior to Aveion’s disappearance. Investigative interviews determined that upon Aveion’s return to the home 4 months ago, the Locketts had begun toilet training. Research in child homicide has reflected that toilet training accidents are often the provocation for physical punishments, sometimes resulting in death.
The family also experienced financial hardships (cable was disconnected) prior to Aveion’s disappearance. The stepfather was unemployed at the time of Aveion’s disappearance and the mother was employed at a minimum wage job.

Sounds like the BL had lots of time alone w/ Aveion - and after reading sooo many similar cases - plenty of time to torture the little angel.

No wonder he doesn't want the body found....Aveion likely died of a beating (or worse) before they could starve him to death. :(

Thank you for the above post Texas Mist. Now that is bringing to mind BL's comments about the burns on Aveion and that they did not seek medical treatment beause of their previous history with social services/CPS and because "Aveion had a high tolerance to pain". (paraphrased from memory).

An unemployed overweight drug addict with a criminal history of domestic violence, along with the previous CPS history, doesn't strike me as the best caregiver or one to begin toilet training. Nor one to be a step dad or choice for a husband and father for more babies.......

I wonder what other discipline issues will come out regarding Brandon Lockett. Any rumors floating around out there about his choice or preferences for discipline? Hmmmmm........

More thinking outloud. Being familiar with townhome/condo/apartment communities simliar to the style tbe Locketts resided, it is not uncommon for both mail delivery and garbage pick up to be about the same time on the same day each week. If Brandon was home with those children on a daily basis I have no doubt he was familiar with both the day and time of mail delivery and scavenger/garbage pick up.

If I were LE, I would be interviewing neigbors, the mail carrier, and the garbage man who picks up trash in that area if they noticed anything unusual or suspicious.

IF BL dumped Aveions remains into the dumpster behind his house (which we saw in an earlier photo linked in the previous thread) a. that was the shortest distance to get rid of Aveions remains from his home. b. he could have disposed of the remains sometime in the middle of the night or wee hours or the am on the morning/evening prior to the day trash was collected, or he could have went out with a container of some kind while the garbage man was there. BL is not that bright a man. The question is, would he have given how and where to dispose the remains as much consideration or preperation as he did the concocted fake kidnapping story. Or, would he have wanted to get Aveions remains out of that house asap so the 4 year old didn't see anything and the smell of decomp hadn't started in the home. I wonder if there was any evidence or smell of decomp in the home.

On another note, I wonder and worry about the 4 year old. What kind of effect is he or she having as a result of being tied up by fake kidnappers. I pray this child is able to provide LE with some compelling details regarding what occured that day.

Didn't I read earlier that the family did not have a car. IF they didn't, the child was most likely placed in a trash container close by. The one mentioned earlier is possible. I don't know if he'd be that stupid to use his own trash can. But he is smart enough to not contact LE before he'd placed the body that so far, LE hasn't been able to locate after an extensive search.

Wonder if they should check the trash pick-up day, just prior to reporting the child missing? Then try to locate where that trash is right now?

Worth a shot, IMO. Of course it would be easier if the would just speak up, or....................maybe the .........................mother :mad:.

I can't bear the thought of this child laying out there somewhere in the weather. Poor Aveion. :(

fran

Didn't I read earlier that the family did not have a car. IF they didn't, the child was most likely placed in a trash container close by. The one mentioned earlier is possible. I don't know if he'd be that stupid to use his own trash can. But he is smart enough to not contact LE before he'd placed the body that so far, LE hasn't been able to locate after an extensive search.

Wonder if they should check the trash pick-up day, just prior to reporting the child missing? Then try to locate where that trash is right now?

Worth a shot, IMO. Of course it would be easier if the would just speak up, or....................maybe the .........................mother :mad:.

I can't bear the thought of this child laying out there somewhere in the weather. Poor Aveion. :(

fran

Good points fran. Clearly in that little subdivision there would be a few dumpsters. I agree LE should check where the trash is right now from that tiny little subdivision.

I just can't wrap my head around why BL wouldn't attempt to make a deal for himself by providing LE with information on this childs remains. He already admitted to the childs death. Why would he keep the location of the remains a secret if he knew where he was? That's why my mind keeps going back to the possibility he placed him in a dumpster and doesn't know where he is at right now.

ETA: I don't recall reading the family didn't have a car. IIRC BL did not have a valid drivers license and was ticketed for driving on a learners permit without a licensed driver in the car, child safety seat violations and a few others which I don't recall.

Good points fran. Clearly in that little subdivision there would be a few dumpsters. I agree LE should check where the trash is right now from that tiny little subdivision.

I just can't wrap my head around why BL wouldn't attempt to make a deal for himself by providing LE with information on this childs remains. He already admitted to the childs death. Why would he keep the location of the remains a secret if he knew where he was? That's why my mind keeps going back to the possibility he placed him in a dumpster and doesn't know where he is at right now.

ETA: I don't recall reading the family didn't have a car. IIRC BL did not have a valid drivers license and was ticketed for driving on a learners permit without a licensed driver in the car, child safety seat violations and a few others which I don't recall.

FWIW, part of the reason I believe he just dropped him in a dumpster is because he doesn't appear overly bright and he also appears kind of lazy. I mean face it, he didn't even have the forthought to put the 'ransome note' on a clean piece of paper. It was on a receipt found in the home. THEN it's in two different handwritings. :confused:

I don't think he'd have the mind to hide Aveion's body. He would just take the easiest way out, the trash. He MAY have been smart enough to wait until AFTER trash day before he reported him missing though. :mad:

I'm just having a hard time reading about all of these precious children being abused and murdered and thrown away like yesterday's trash. When I think about all the people that want kids and can't have them,.................it breaks your heart, you know? :(

JMHO
fran

BL's a big guy too...he's not going to walk any distance...he's have a hard time IMO getting around in the wooded areas.

I'm believing the dump too...

FWIW, part of the reason I believe he just dropped him in a dumpster is because he doesn't appear overly bright and he also appears kind of lazy. I mean face it, he didn't even have the forthought to put the 'ransome note' on a clean piece of paper. It was on a receipt found in the home. THEN it's in two different handwritings. :confused:

I don't think he'd have the mind to hide Aveion's body. He would just take the easiest way out, the trash. He MAY have been smart enough to wait until AFTER trash day before he reported him missing though. :mad:

I'm just having a hard time reading about all of these precious children being abused and murdered and thrown away like yesterday's trash. When I think about all the people that want kids and can't have them,.................it breaks your heart, you know? :(

JMHO
fran

Exactly what I was about to post, fran....BL seems too lazy & self-centered to take too much time out of his day to drive around trying to find a 'suitable' spot -- not to mention that it's risky & he's been pulled over before....I think he just tossed little Aveion in the dumpster & he's already in the landfill....any other info he might have given to LE would be to get them to waste their time so there's less chance of them finding him at the landfill.

Seems like the most 'werk' he's done is come up w/ the abduction story & ransack the house -- which he probably didn't even do by himself as I wouldn't doubt that the "mother" had a hand in that *and* the ransom note.

I hate to have to type all this but that's where my mind is going.

Exactly what I was about to post, fran....BL seems too lazy & self-centered to take too much time out of his day to drive around trying to find a 'suitable' spot -- not to mention that it's risky & he's been pulled over before....I think he just tossed little Aveion in the dumpster & he's already in the landfill....any other info he might have given to LE would be to get them to waste their time so there's less chance of them finding him at the landfill.

Seems like the most 'werk' he's done is come up w/ the abduction story & ransack the house -- which he probably didn't even do by himself as I wouldn't doubt that the "mother" had a hand in that *and* the ransom note.

I hate to have to type all this but that's where my mind is going.

BBM. I agree. As hard as it is, and as much as it hurts. I just have to stand up for this little man, with as little as I can do from so far away. Even if he wasn't surrounded by a lot of love from his immediate family (mom and step dad) he was loved by many, and more now that we have learned of him. I wish we didn't, but we do.... and what is done is done and can't be unchanged for little Aveion. It can however be changed for other children in VA and we have to make sure those changes are made, so the chances are fewer and fewer for the other children in VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni