Ross Harris Trial Jury Selection - Tweets, News & Discussion (Brunswick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Staley ruled against the defense's request to sever the charges relating to minors? IIRC, those charges will be brought into (and used against him) during this trial.

She did. I am not sure why the AJC used "separately."

I am going to go out on a limb here. The high number of hardship requests indicates that the jurors are familiar with this case. They don't want their lives on hold for several months. Given their knowledge of the case, Ross is not going to any more any more sympathetic in Glynn County than he was in Cobb County. I sense that jury selection is going to be very reminiscent of the first round.

Don't know.....I think the average person anywhere would try to avoid jury duty they know will take up months, time few if any of us have to spare.

The good news for Harris, IMO, is that there has been less media saturation here, the bad news is an even more conservative jury pool and the fact that his unlikeability transcends the change in venue.

On Wild's page for livestream. Surprised Harris's face still looks so babyish, for lack of a better term.

Questions about media exposure to be incorporated into standard voir dire rather asked seperately. Motions are for and against reconsideration of a prior ruling

Staley is about to read the bill of indictment to all 3 panels of potential jurors.

Listening to the charges about minors. Still believe the defense has good grounds for appeal that the charges weren't severed.

Hands up on panel one for having already formed and expressed an opinion about guilt or innocence.

4 on panel 2 say yes...more do on panel 3 (at least 6), missed panel one.

On the question of having prejudice against the defendant - zero jurors say they do.

Have you heard or read about this case?

Panel 1. 10 yes
Panel 2. 8 yes.
Panel 3. 9 yes

Older juror pool= jurors with grandchildren= jurors I bet the DT doesn't want seated, all things being equal.

Number on each panel? Don't know, sorry. I'd guess the standard, anywhere between 12-15, maybe closer to 12 by the grim look on the faces of defense counsel.

Eta.. will know when Staley finishes up asking individual jurors about children, grandchildren, what part of the county they're from. She's on juror #17 now.

In this post from Christian Boone, he says each group has 36.

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 3h3 hours ago
Per Cobb courts spokesman,RossHarris jurors will be questioned in groups of 36, not individually

36 jurors, 27 of whom have read or seen coverage.

(The 36 were divided into 3 panels of 12).

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 2m2 minutes ago Brunswick, GA

27 of 36 prospective jurors called for #RossHarris trial say they've heard about case. 19 have formed opinions

Christian Boone ‏@ReporterJCB 2m2 minutes ago Brunswick, GA

27 of 36 prospective jurors called for #RossHarris trial say they've heard about case. 19 have formed opinions

If I were the DT I'd be concerned that 19 say they have read or heard about the case and have already formed an opinion on guilt or innocence, yet none of those 19 say they feel any prejudice towards the defendant.

Difficult to believe that's true, IMO.

Can the defense ask for a change in locations again since so many heard about the accused? And would the Judge go along with it?

Can the defense ask for a change in locations again since so many heard about the accused? And would the Judge go along with it?

The defense can ask, theoretically, but won't, not least because there is no chance whatsoever Staley would grant another change in venue.

27 out of 36 jurors knowing about the case says a change in venue didn't change the fact knowledge of the case extends beyond Cobb County, but jurors simply knowing about the case isn't an insurmountable problem.

19 out of 36 jurors with formed opinions of guilt versus innocence, if reflective of the balance on other panels, leaves a large enough pool of unbiased jurors to select from, at least theoretically, even if all 19 are excluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member