WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beach_Approach2_t607.jpg

The next morning someone discovered the van stuck in the mud on a beach north of Olympia. The red dot marks the approximate location where the van was found. (Photo courtesy of Robert Dashiell)

http://www.kitsapsun.com/photos/gal...tina-smiley-disappearance/8912/#ixzz0imXXn86W

It is bizarre. Looking at the pics I do not know how she managed, not to roll it.

With the photos below, it just looks like a dirt/gravel trail. Maybe it is not on a map..I don't know. Without the red arrow showing me I would not know it was there.

roadtobeach_t607.jpg

Off Zangle Road NE in North Olympia is a narrow gravel road leading to the beach where the van Shantina Smiley had been driving was found. The entrance to that gravel road is marked by a red arrow. (Photo courtesy of reader Robert Dashiell)

Beach_Road_End2_t607.jpg

This is near the end of the beach access road where the van Shantina Smiley was driving was found. At the end of this graveled road is a very sharp drop-off to the right. The red dot marks the approximate location of the vehicle, which was removed by investigators Sunday. The waterway to the left leads to Boston Harbor. (Photo courtesy of Robert Dashiell)

http://www.kitsapsun.com/photos/gal...appearance/8911/#section_header#ixzz0imQ7ZuTx

Thanks. I've seen both these photos - but I just can't get a feeling for where that is on a map to that property. In other words, where on the google map would you pass by a house on the left and then turn right (West) down this little gravel road to the beach? Can someone mark it for me? Thx.

Attachments

• 8345ZangleRd.JPG
    8345ZangleRd.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 19
Search For Missing Silverdale Woman Pauses for Weekend

Mealy said there were no more clues to report Saturday. Now that Azriel’s body has been found, the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office’s predominate theory — though not the only one — is that Smiley never got off the beach and wound up in the water, too. There were no sightings, and bloodhounds didn’t pick up scents away from the beach.

Based on how far out on the beach the van was found, it arrived there when the tide was at its lowest point, Mealy said. The water rose and washed them away. How that happened, nobody’s sure.

“The current is ferocious there,” Mealy said. “It’s not inconceivable at night, if one is disoriented or not thinking clearly, to wind up getting swept away by the water.”

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/...land-lake-woman-pauses-weekend/#ixzz0imZupBSS

Thanks. I've seen both these photos - but I just can't get a feeling for where that is on a map to that property. In other words, where on the google map would you pass by a house on the left and then turn right (West) down this little gravel road to the beach? Can someone mark it for me? Thx.

See if this map works better.

See if this map works better.

Yes yes yes! Thank you. I kept wondering how there would be water on the right side of her as she was driving down that small road to the beach - but now I see it is the little inlet area.

Thanks! I need to go to bed now. I can't see straight.

So then:
1. There were no sightings
2. Bloodhounds picked up no scents away from the beach
3. The current is ferocious, and one could get swept away at night, especially if disoriented.
This seems to point to her having to be in the water, just not found.
Perhaps she never drank and drove with her child in the car. Perhaps anti-anxiety meds, maybe taken due to the stress of the pending visit, disoriented her. The wine may have been drunk in a stopped van, parked on the beach to avoid being seen,(she may have looked around for the most out of the way road that would lead to the water; may have specifically chosen a private beach so there would be no patrol, less visible) with the plan of sleeping there overnight (then surprised by the tide, which she had not taken into account). She MAY have tried to do the best for her child under conditions of mental instability and ubearable stress. This may be simply a tragedy. The knock at one am, on the neighbors garage? I know many people do not believe in such, but there have been reports at the time of a stressful death, of strange bangings in the area, the disturbances of the atmosphere. In this sense, no one knocked, but the banging was simply the sounds coming from the charged atmosphere as mother and son met their death. It sounds "supernatural", but things of this nature have been reported, when the death is sudden, stressful, and tragic.

Can somebody please tell me have they found her yet. TIA.

This is a great photo. It shows the area with a higher tide. I'm comparing it to the photo I posted from Zillow that you can navigate the photo. The area of the beach to the east was empty in the Zillow photo.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/birds-eye-view-map/49361379_zpid/#birds-eye-view

By the way, if you click on this link, hit the "South view" button then browse to the beach.

The road is really easy to see if you start at the beach and head towards the house.

I believe these are the stairs leading up to the house of the person that heard the knocking.

OMG. Im very surprised.

I posted an excerpt from a forensics book earlier in the thread... basically in deep water, and especially cold water, the body will sink until decomp makes it "float" which may not be for some time.

She was 140 pounds, much heavier than Az, so she could still be under water... or somewhere else in Puget Sound.

I keep going back to the fact that it had to be extremely cold in that van at night on the water. The keys were found on the dash board so we know that the heat wasn't being used. I just don't know how they could sit in that van for any length of time much less attempt to sleep(?). I just don't believe that for a moment.

I don't know why if she was really in distress she wouldn't have blown her car horn to alert someone for help. Or just take her son and walk to a nearby house to call a tow truck. Then again. It wasn't her vehicle. She seemed a bit haphazzard about his van. More so her child.

I wonder if that was her knocking? So close to get help. What a shame.

It also looks pretty dangerous... I'm not sure how steep those stairs are, and whether they are even lit at night.

There are a few small shacks along the beach from where the van was found to these stairs. Possible places to rest, but how high would the tide go?

Beach_Approach2_t607.jpg

http://www.kitsapsun.com/photos/gal...tina-smiley-disappearance/8912/#ixzz0imXXn86W

It is bizarre. Looking at the pics I do not know how she managed, not to roll it.

Bear in mind that in these photos, the tide is higher than it was when she drove down to the beach. In these photos, it looks like the tide was probably high, or close to it.

When SS drove down to the beach on Sat. the 13th (sometime after 10:00 pm after she left the Williams' house), the tide was out - there was more room on the beach than is shown in these photos.

When she arrived at the beach, it probably looked more like when they found the abandoned van on the beach on Sunday.

This is how the beach looked when she arrived there on Saturday night (except it was dark):

0316shantina_van_firstpic.jpg

A very narrow steep path/road. So the "drunk" lady who couldn't manage to miss a curb, drove down this steep path/road? Finding it alone was quite a bright eyed wonder, then driving down it and not driving off the side? wow.

Then she gets stuck in the mud?

This story is just too wierd.

moo
\

Maybe a local was driving. Your right very weird indeed. How the heck did she see this road. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marlenewatches