Three teen suicides in seven weeks at 750-student high school rock small St. Clair MO

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
High school horror as THREE students commit suicide in just seven weeks (Daily Mail)
A high school community is in shock after three students have committed suicide in just seven weeks.

Jordan Halmich, a 16-year-old junior, was the first to take his life on September 28; five weeks later, Donna Cooley, a 15-year-old sophomore, was found hanging in her bedroom.

And on Monday night, former cheerleader Destiny Pearson, 16, became the latest student at St Clair High School in St Clair, Missouri to kill herself.
---
'Obviously there are a lot of emotional problems with these individuals,' St Clair police chief Bill Hammack told MailOnline. 'But each case has specific identifiers.'
---
He added that accusations of bullying had surrounded all three deaths.
---
(Dr Michael Murphy, school superintendent) added: 'One common thread that I would see that is occurring is that there is social media involved.'
---
The city of St Clair, which is around 55 miles southwest of St Louis, has 4,700 residents.
much more, with many pictures, at link above

very sad. Unfortunately, I have noticed this with teens in the past. One teen commits suicide in a small community, then the next, then the next.

It's "catching". What I mean is, other teens with depression or whatever going on in their own lives, see all the hoopla a peer's suicide brings and it gives them the idea, I'll kill myself, then "they'll" be sorry, or miss me, or finally understand how upset I've been. etc. etc.

I am familiar with this community, having stayed there several times in the middle of long road trips/vcations. Nice town. Very very sorry they are dealing with so many losses at once.

I'm always really surprised when I hear about a girl hanging herself--it's not usually a method girls choose, according to what I learned in a psychology class, because a lot of times there's nothing that can be done if the girl has 2nd thoughts. This is truly heart-breaking to see these suicides happening so much lately.

Three suicides in a small town is a real anomaly. I know there was the 1983 Plano and Westchester County Suicide. I recall reading that some of the suicides were from drug abuse. Suicide is really devastating to loved ones.

I'm always really surprised when I hear about a girl hanging herself--it's not usually a method girls choose, according to what I learned in a psychology class, because a lot of times there's nothing that can be done if the girl has 2nd thoughts. This is truly heart-breaking to see these suicides happening so much lately.

Hanging is quite common for females, especially young females. I believe it is the second most popular method behind an overdose.

A 2008 review of 56 countries based on World Health Organization mortality data found that hanging was the most common method in most of the countries,[5] accounting for 53 percent of the male suicides and 39 percent of the female suicides.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_hanging

very sad. Unfortunately, I have noticed this with teens in the past. One teen commits suicide in a small community, then the next, then the next.
snip

Yes, I've taught in small high schools (and attended one about this size). One holds one's breath.

Fortunately there were no suicides on my watch.

Actually, it is quite common method for both males and females.

Hanging is quite common for females, especially young females. I believe it is the second most popular method behind an overdose.

Well the class I took was in 2007, so I'm not surprised that the statistics have changed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back