GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What stuck with me was they were not discussing arrests with the DA. Only discussing the info they have received. If they do not have an arrest in mind at this point, are they going to discuss removing people as POI with the DA? I would think if they had enough to make an arrest, they would have that done ASAP. They can always keep gathering more evidence to support the arrest before a trial. But, if they can't justify an arrest, what does that say?

I'm not as puzzled by today's press conference as most seem to be. Chief Burns' purpose was to reassure the community that we don't have a serial killer on the prowl. The text messages were just too much for him and I think the rumor-mill is the source of his frustration. I know Coroner Leon Jones tried to squelch the rumors on last night's news, but the Chief is probably right that some folks would believe Burns when they would not believe Jones.

The only new info I could glean was that Burns & investigators are meeting with Winters "first of next week." That will be when they collectively make a decision about whether to charge SMD with the homicide, in advance of the Aug. 4 bond hearing. No doubt, without new charges, SMD will be bonded out on the burglary charges (not a flight risk and no danger to the public on those charges), so Winters will have to make his decision whether to allow the bond hearing to go forward. We should know, sometime between Monday and Thursday, whether SMD will be charged with the homicide.

My guess is that the case against SMD is not (yet) air-tight. Because of that, Winters and Burns prefer to delay any official charge so long as SMD remains in custody.

If there is a charge by the MPD or an indictment (the Grand Jury IS in session), I expect Floyd Buford to renew his conflict of interest motion. But we don't know whether there are any additional factual grounds for the motion when applied to the homicide that occurred after SMD's internship. It's a different question than Judge Self decided earlier.

I guess I'm disappointed. I keep looking at SM and not being convinced he is the one. On the other hand, I was hoping today he would announce SM was being charged because all the evidence pointed to him. I want it to be him. If the evidence isn't there now, is it because it isn't leading in his direction? THAT possibility scares me. It opens up all the other possibilities running through my head.

I know how you feel. I am not convinced it's him/SMcD but after hearing how he gets into those video games, I didnt' expect that from his calm demeanor that we've all seen. I'm he was in a state of shock when arrested if not guilty as we saw in teh lineup or whatever. But there is nothing on him. He's one smart cookie and quiet when he kills and dismembers............Weird, there'd have to be something wouldnt there???? On the other hand, the body being in her trash bin seems to point to someone in the complex committing the crime.

Hi MOM, can you explain what you mean by that? Just didnt' understand.

He will be bonded becuase there is no obvious reason to hold him, do you think? His parents moved his stuff out of apt, he was scheduled to leave the 15th anyway. SO home to Stone Mountain? But he's not a suspect until the forensics come back and point to him. He's only charged with burglary and laurens apt wasnt burglarized. I dont' knwo what else they think they have on him

Sorry for the confusion. Someone above stated SM wasn't going anywhere soon. I was pointing out that he could be going somewhere soon. With a bond hearing, he could be out of jail by next week.

And Chief Burns said he was not discussing arresting anyone in his meeting with the DA. It is isn't planning on discussing arrests then, I would expect SM's bond hearing will be able to go on as scheduled.

I'm not as puzzled by today's press conference as most seem to be. Chief Burns' purpose was to reassure the community that we don't have a serial killer on the prowl. The text messages were just too much for him and I think the rumor-mill is the source of his frustration. I know Coroner Leon Jones tried to squelch the rumors on last night's news, but the Chief is probably right that some folks would believe Burns when they would not believe Jones.

I totally agree. I can think of 4 major colleges within 60 miles of Macon that will be starting back in the next few weeks. Until something solid comes out of the forensics, Chief Burns does not want to create panic or further speculation.

. <snipped> And Chief Burns said he was not discussing arresting anyone in his meeting with the DA. It is isn't planning on discussing arrests then, I would expect SM's bond hearing will be able to go on as scheduled.

Think about this -- suppose Burns IS planning on wrapping up the investigation by first of next week (charging SMD). He needs the concurrence of Winters to present that charge to the Grand Jury.

So, he's not going to tip his hand now by saying the meeting with Winters is to discuss charging SMD with the homicide. His evident frustration is that the rumors flying about make it difficult for him to complete this investigation to his entire satisfaction (or at least as well as the FBI results allow), and he's not going to be forced into tipping his hand by some reporter at a press conference he called to say "The investigation is going smoothly; quit worrying; trust me."

Think about this -- suppose Burns IS planning on wrapping up the investigation by first of next week (charging SMD). He needs the concurrence of Winters to present that charge to the Grand Jury.

So, he's not going to tip his hand now by saying the meeting with Winters is to discuss charging SMD with the homicide. His evident frustration is that the rumors flying about make it difficult for him to complete this investigation to his entire satisfaction (or at least as well as the FBI results allow), and he's not going to be forced into tipping his hand by some reporter at a press conference he called to say "The investigation is going smoothly; quit worrying; trust me."

I think he would say something like, "We are getting closer to closing this case. I expect we will be making an arrest soon. I promise this community will be safe from this killer." That would be reassuring the community. Saying you have nothing yet and not sure if and when you will is not very good.

Thank you for your words of wisdom! :)

I think the drains were searched because they felt it was likely the killer would have drained the blood [really don't like writing this] in the tub before or during the dismemberment.
The question of cannibalism or not may never be answered [many won't admit to it] but can be ruled out logically if we get a firm theory of motive and method.

So yesterday I learned that sewers are not necessarily where the poo goes in the case of the running. :blushing: Are they in the case of the searching?

I am way behind on this case but saw Hash Harriers mentioned. Just wanted to mention a coinky dink with murderer John Gardner. His Mom was a member of this group and brought him with her to the groups nude runs and after party activities that got quite randy. Weird activity to bring your convicted sex offender son to IMO. Every chapter behaves differently though.

FWIW

The thing is, that LE is under an immense amount of pressure to press charges.

IMO, they needed to come out today, and confidentally reassure the public that they are safe, that an arrest is coming, and if that there is not a serial killer on the loose and here are the reasons why (facts).

If I were a resident of the Macon area, I would not be reassured by what was stated today. JMO

I knew it, they have nothing...............only more of the same, waiting on forensics

Wouldnt' offer one bit of info. I'm guessing they dont' have anything else to do on this case especially until forensics are back. One article said they expected it back that week and that was posted on teh 14th July...........so is this an excessively long time to wait for forensics? Of course they sent truck loads (so2speak) to the VA lab.......

SO..........ONE POI I'm assuming. So if it's not him we're all up shoot creek and then there will be a serial killer on the loose.
He said discussing with DA first of next week on cases, not arrest.
Dead black female found in river was not a murder but there was dead body in river last week.......
He needs lessons on live tv, too much rattling that darn paper and mumbling...........
You're right Wondergirl, he's stressed or sick of the whole thing,seemed frustrated

This is exactly how the rampant rumors the chief addressed get started. Read here:

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/26/1643770/officials-are-still-trying-to.html

The body found in the Ocmulgee was a man. They've addressed that they don't feel it's related.

So yesterday I learned that sewers are not necessarily where the poo goes in the case of the running. :blushing: Are they in the case of the searching?

How many times have the sewers been searched?

I seen this article (quoted and linked below) dated July 6th stating that the "storm drainage system" were going to be searched. Were the sewers again searched more recently? Possibly the sanitary sewer system. And yes Jane these would be the sewers where the poo goes.

The police news release quotes police Maj. Charles Stone as saying, "the Engineering Department will assist us in the search of the storm drainage system near the apartment complex. Bill and his staff are very familiar with the downtown area and can provide valuable information and assistance as we search for evidence. The complex continues to be a focus of the investigation."

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/157390/373/Ga-Police-To-Search-Sewer-For-Laurel-Native

How many times have the sewers been searched?

I seen this article (quoted and linked below) dated July 6th stating that the "storm drainage system" were going to be searched. Were the sewers again searched more recently? Possibly the sanitary sewer system. And yes Jane these would be the sewers where the poo goes.

I am not sure about more recent searches. I just remembered the search early this month, the one you referred to, and wondered - in light of what I learned yesterday and the pictures that people had posted of the "sewers" where there's plenty of room to run - if we were talking about the same kind of place being searched.

I am still at a loss as to why anyone would find it odd that the FBI lab is taking it's time on these tests and advising the MPD to zip it and be patient in light of the Casey Anthony verdict.
Do not underestimate the impact that acquittal had on the forensic science community, good Lord, it was a game changer.
The way this case is being handled is a perfect example.

It seems that today's Macon PD Press conference regarding Lauren can be summed up as:

*Rumors are false - no serial killer in Macon

*Chief is meeting at the beginning of next week with the DA to discuss all they know regarding Lauren's case

* Only 4 people know all the facts about the case

*Be patient - My interpretation of what the Chief said was not much of anything, except: they are still awaiting FBI test results.

Upstream I had previously posted the FBI DNA forensic backlog booklet. In case you did not read or see it, I have attached two important charts regarding the time it takes for the FBI to conduct and release DNA results.

According to the report, it could take much longer for all of the tests to be completed. Hopefully, Chief Burns can get enough of the results in order to know how to proceed before the 90 days expires.

However, in the meantime check out the two backlog charts I have copied and attached from the FBI report.

Also, here is a few paragraphs I copied from the report. After you read this and looked at the two charts attached, you will realize it can take up to 200 ( TWO HUNDRED) days for the test results to be completed.

QUOTE from FBI Backlog report
:

"The forensic DNA case backlog at the FBI Laboratory can have significant effects. Backlogs may delay legal proceedings that are waiting on the results of DNA analysis. Backlogs can also prevent the timely capture of criminals, prolong the incarceration of innocent people who could be exonerated by DNA evidence, and adversely affect families of missing persons waiting for positive identification of remains... "

"As detailed below (see attachment), the FBI Laboratory has a significant forensic DNA case backlog, and the backlog is growing.....Our review determined that as of March 2010, the FBI Laboratory had a backlog of 3,211 forensic DNA cases. Given the FBI Laboratory&#8217;s current rate of work, no new staff, and without any new cases, it would take the FBI Laboratory about 2 years to eliminate its existing forensic DNA case backlog. .......the backlog of DNA casework samples is increasing, as illustrated in Exhibit 2......"

"We found that the backlog of cases in the Nuclear DNA Unit has grown by almost 40 percent (757 cases) from the first quarter of FY 2009 through the second quarter of FY 2010. Additionally, in the Mitochondrial DNA Unit, the backlog has grown by almost 130 percent (276 cases) during the same time period.
As a result of the backlog, the time it takes the FBI Laboratory to return results to contributors is lengthy...."

PATIENCE FRIENDS PATIENCE​

Full Report:
http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/FBI/a1039.pdf

Attachments

• DNA Backlog.JPG
    DNA Backlog.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 6
  • fbi.JPG
    fbi.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 5
I just finished viewing the presser with LE and I did not feel discouraged. I feel like MCD is still the major POI and they just don't have all the results back yet. I believe if it were a serial killer loose in Macon they would be issuing a lot more warning to the public. Even if they think it could be someone other than MCD I believe they do think it was more personal and not random.

Okay, so the last question asked by a reporter at this morning's presser was, "Do you anticipate having most of what you need back from the FBI by the time you meet with the DA?" Chief Burns' quick response was that "No, we won't."

How does he know that timeline for sure (that the results needed will NOT be back a week FROM NOW, especially as we were originally told the results were to have been returned weeks ago).... and then why is he meeting with the DA to discuss "what they know", when most of "what they need to know" from the FBI will in fact not be back yet? Strange. Anyone else think anything of this comment?

http://www.13wmaz.com/video/1082570803001/1/RAW-Chief-Mike-Burns-Dismisses-Rumors-in-Giddings-Case

"The forensic DNA case backlog at the FBI Laboratory can have significant effects. Backlogs may delay legal proceedings that are waiting on the results of DNA analysis. Backlogs can also prevent the timely capture of criminals, prolong the incarceration of innocent people who could be exonerated by DNA evidence, and adversely affect families of missing persons waiting for positive identification of remains... "

Full Report:
http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/FBI/a1039.pdf

(shortened for brevity)

Thank-you, Sandstorm, great summary.

BBM: The part I have bolded and underlined is the most concerning factor (besides public safety), for me.

I have absolutely no problem with waiting for the FBI results. I have no problem with believing LE when they say there is not a serial killer on the loose. I agree with AA upthread when she said that the Caylee Anthony case was a game changer. No question.

I simply wanted LE to be confident and reassuring today (even if they didn't arrest anyone), and to me, the Chief's demeanor today was different than previously witnessed. I can certainly appreciate LE is exhausted, they are not succumbing to public pressure etc.

However, appearances are important (for the public AND the killer), and today's presser did not provide reassurance, IMO.

I truly hope LE is 100% right, as there is alot at stake in this case.

I didn't see that at all. I think that he is exhausted. I also believe that this presser was to just quell the rumors, and tell people to sit tight and let them do their job.

I agree with you McMunn, I did not see that either. If anything I sensed a bit of irritation. It's got to be frustrating for him to have to call a press conference to quell a "serial killer text message rumor".:banghead:

As if he doesn't have enough on his plate. This is an active investigation, information integral to the case is not going to be shared. We have no right to expect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine