Found Deceased NH - Celina Cass, 11, Stewartstown, 25 July 2011 # 2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he indeed retired, he can go to a military base and get it for free. moo

Thanks, you're right -- my husband paid a co-pay for his, but that is because he got it mail-order. I don't know why he didn't get it from the VA directly...but thank you for clearing that up for me!

At I brought up the teeth issue, because it could very well be a sign of neglect or abuse. It's very unusual, but at the same time not impossible for an 11 year old girl to have teeth like hers, without some sign of neglect or abuse. I'm just opening the possibility and throwing it out there, you can make your own determinations and will leave it at that.

My opinion is she is still young and I don't think the teeth thing is an issue or really a sign of abuse. Many children do not have the best teeth. Maybe they just can't afford to fix the teeth right now, that does not mean it is neglect or abuse. I'm sure in time this situation will be handled. I feel sometimes we
may be looking for problems that do not exist. They may not have insurance at this time, I mean the economy is not good at the present time. Because her teeth are not perfect does not mean she is being abused.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blessings for this sweet child. We need a miracle.

Goz

Respectfully, IMO, anyone that can afford New England's Internet prices can't be that bad off ;-)

I am not bashing you. I haven't read where people are belittling her background/teeth/home, i guess i should go back and re-read it.

Ultimately i am not even sure what it matters. She is missing, i don't care if she didn't have a mall or perfect teeth. I just hope she is either found or the person than took her is held accountable and faces the ultimate punishment.

I believe 4eyed is just trying to explain what it is like there. I am backing him/her up as I have seen it with my own two eyes...lol
I have said amny many times I would love to live up there but there is NO WORK and this is even before the economy fell. As I said in a previous post you have to live close to one of the cities.

BBM

And from having lived in "The North Country" for 11 years (and not being a native New Englander myself), the vast majority of folks who live there are very proud--and most wouldn't live anywhere else even if they could! When you state that the north country "is in some respects a third world nation to many - but it just happens to be in the USA," I couldn't agree with you more; when I think of poverty in America, the first place I think of is the North Country--and I have travelled all over America. Thank you very much for your most enlightening post.

But to get off topic here there are many areas in our country that are bad. The native American Reservations for one, an absolute shame. And many others.

Thanks, you're right -- my husband paid a co-pay for his, but that is because he got it mail-order. I don't know why he didn't get it from the VA directly...but thank you for clearing that up for me!

yes my hubby been in for along time. i get ours and pay for co pay, if i go to base i have to sit there all day long waiting. Lots of retired people there.

My opinion is she is still young and I don't think the teeth thing is an issue or really a sign of abuse. Many children do not have the best teeth. Maybe they just can't afford to fix the teeth right now, that does not mean it is neglect or abuse. I'm sure in time this situation will be handled. I feel sometimes we
may be looking for problems that do not exist. They may not have insurance at this time, I mean the economy is not good at the present time. Because her teeth are not perfect does not mean she is being abused.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goz

I agree. Dental care is SO expensive! Even if you have insurance. I'm currently on a "payment plan" with my dentist, because even after insurance, I still had a massive bill. Dental care was not something my parents seemed to think was important while I was growing up. Which is kind of funny, since my brother (who is 58 now) had braces at 12. Maybe that whole experience burned them, who knows??!!

I have heard, though, that when times are tough, one of the first things to go is dental care.

Goz

I completely agree. I grew up with very badly crooked teeth and it was just a case of bad genetics. I hated it and they defined who I (thought I) was. It wasn't abuse or neglect - just (in my opinion) my parents not making it a priority for me. I was picked on and bullied for years. I finally got braces as an adult (once I had my first good paying job - which didn't have dental insurance though) and it did change my life and they way I was treated, sad to say but true. But it cost me more than $5k and that was 20 years ago, so it's much more now.

When I see a child with teeth like this, it just makes me sad because I know what they are going through and how hard it is to live with it. Back then, I used to think everybody who had braces was "rich." And I wasn't.

And that always confuses me. I see people on the news who are in need of financial help for one reason or another (they are usually portrayed -- or portray themselves as being poor -- much like this area was described in an earlier post), BUT....they have....a bluetooth thing hanging off their ear...designer clothes or athletic shoes....obviously salon-done hair (or hair coloring)...gobs of jewelry hanging off them...tattoos....body piercings...obviously many things that take money (like internet access)...things that I can't afford and stay within any kind of budget.

I always find it kind of odd when people say they have no money, but they're posting it online...so obviously, you either have enough money for the internet, or you're at a public library or a friend's house, using theirs. Statistically speaking, how often is THAT the case?

But thank you for posting this. You took the words right out of my mouth.

I lived in the "North Country" for roughly 20 years, in New York. It seems every part of a state bordering on Canada is called the North Country.

Now, let me tell you a little bit about it. People are poor, often dirt poor, but still, they need some form of amusement. If they can have internet access, they should have it - sometimes it's their only outlet, and God bless 'em, living in the cold, poverty, and isolation, I don't begrudge anyone the little bit of joy they can glean from this world.

On the other hand, people live in these areas for a reason - freedom from nicey, nicey neighbors who tell you how you have to live, and petty government enforcers like BTK, who want to control your life. Living in areas like this one gives you control of your own destiny, you CAN survive if the lights go out, or the supermarket shelves are empty. You CAN see the stars, and breathe fresh air. You CAN hunt, you can be much freer than any city dweller who isn't a millionaire. Yeah, it can be hard, but a pot of venison stew on the stove while the wind is blowing ice and snow against your window makes it all worthwhile.

If I were back there now, I wouldn't feel poor as long as I had a roof over my head, food for my belly and clothes on my back. Oh, yeah, I would like internet for maybe $25.00 a month. I would be in HEAVEN.

I hope the FBI first went to the local pharmacy to see if WN purchased his medicine every month. He is diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and he has been violent in the past.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-hampshire-girl-search-extends-canada/story?id=14178067

Absolutely. I'd bet they're combing through his entire medical records and Rx's. He's a scary guy with his past violence and diagnosis as a PS. I'm kind of having a one-track mind, and that track keeps leading back to him somehow.

As I said, "in some respects. . ." And yes, I'm obviously exaggerating. But some folks here seem to be judging both the living arrangements, dental care, employment, etc, by standards that simply can't be applied here. There's a reason for all the old jokes: about full sets of teeth in rural America - people are poor and can't afford dentists; about single wides - people are poor

Note the operative word - POOR.

POOR? Yes, but some of us are just independant, like to control our own lives and our own destiny, prove we can make do, survive without the Gucci bags and wierd-looking high heels. Fish tastes so much better fresh off your own hook out of a clear, clean stream.

I'm not getting the discussion regarding poor versus rich and small town versus big city.

I live in a big city and we have homeless folks. On the streets, in shelters and yes it's darn cold here in the winter. We have rich folks driving BMW's and we have the poor folks who walk.

What does this all have to do with a missing child? Sadly, it doesn't matter where you live or what you wear or drive. Kids go missing in small towns and yes, even big cities. Rich, poor....good families, dysfunctional families....monsters don't care.

I'm not getting the discussion regarding poor versus rich and small town versus big city...
monsters don't care.[/QUOTE]

BBM. Now that is a true statement. However, I believe the rich/poor, small town/city stems from a way of life which appears to strike some people as less than stellar - in their opinion. I believe some of us wanted to point out this family's way of life, aside from mental illness, may be every bit as rich and fulfilling as the life of a city dweller involved in the rat-race of making money. It seems these people are being judged on their way of life, their possible poverty, dental care, etc., which "I" wanted to point out mean nothing to many people.

Guess that's where it came from, but you're right, there are monsters, rich and poor, good teeth and bad. Sometimes "I" feel we lose sight of what's really important in our daily rush to do what we've been "taught" is right through TV, and mass media. Guess I just want to point out other ways of life also have a lot to offer, and maybe the family shouldn't be put down for being "poor" in the eyes of the world.

I'm still catching up with you guys, but I just wanted to say that the bad feeling I have in my stomach is getting worse and worse with each post I am reading.

The quote from the step"father" sends chills up my spine. It sounds like threat to me, like he is saying "get home or else...." Its just such an incredibly inappropriate thing to say. If I were a young girl I would hear that and do everything I could to not have to go home. I know that everyone handles things differently, but I don't understand why the mom has not said anything.

One question I have though, what is that IMVU that Celina mentions as one of her favorite things?

I'm not getting the discussion regarding poor versus rich and small town versus big city...
monsters don't care.[/QUOTE]

BBM. Now that is a true statement. However, I believe the rich/poor, small town/city stems from a way of life which appears to strike some people as less than stellar - in their opinion. I believe some of us wanted to point out this family's way of life, aside from mental illness, may be every bit as rich and fulfilling as the life of a city dweller involved in the rat-race of making money. It seems these people are being judged on their way of life, their possible poverty, dental care, etc., which "I" wanted to point out mean nothing to many people.

Guess that's where it came from, but you're right, there are monsters, rich and poor, good teeth and bad. Sometimes "I" feel we lose sight of what's really important in our daily rush to do what we've been "taught" is right through TV, and mass media. Guess I just want to point out other ways of life also have a lot to offer, and maybe the family shouldn't be put down for being "poor" in the eyes of the world.

very good pts on the last few posts trident. That was what I was stating on the teeth.

PS If I had nothing, I would hope people would allow me the luxury of the internet too.

Let's all try to not tear this lifestyle up on the family, where they live, the dental care, internet for the poor, etc and focus on the missing child here.

Goz

I lived in the "North Country" for roughly 20 years, in New York. It seems every part of a state bordering on Canada is called the North Country.

Now, let me tell you a little bit about it. People are poor, often dirt poor, but still, they need some form of amusement. If they can have internet access, they should have it - sometimes it's their only outlet, and God bless 'em, living in the cold, poverty, and isolation, I don't begrudge anyone the little bit of joy they can glean from this world.

On the other hand, people live in these areas for a reason - freedom from nicey, nicey neighbors who tell you how you have to live, and petty government enforcers like BTK, who want to control your life. Living in areas like this one gives you control of your own destiny, you CAN survive if the lights go out, or the supermarket shelves are empty. You CAN see the stars, and breathe fresh air. You CAN hunt, you can be much freer than any city dweller who isn't a millionaire. Yeah, it can be hard, but a pot of venison stew on the stove while the wind is blowing ice and snow against your window makes it all worthwhile.

If I were back there now, I wouldn't feel poor as long as I had a roof over my head, food for my belly and clothes on my back. Oh, yeah, I would like internet for maybe $25.00 a month. I would be in HEAVEN.

I lived dirt poor when I was married to my ex husband. We couldn't afford milk, because it wasn't in the "budget." We had no running water or indoor plumbing. And we had no internet. I also "get" the other side of the coin....spending money on things that others might view as "extras" because you have to have "something" nice -- especially when everyone else around you does. And I get, too, that for many, the internet is their only lifeline to the outside world. I guess it's all in who controls the money. In my case, it wasn't me, so those choices weren't mine to make.

That is how I lived for 12 years. I had no running water or indoor plumbing. When I needed to wash dishes (which only happened weekly, because of what a chore it was) I had to go down to the lake, and bring up 5 gallon buckets of water to heat on the stove. Dishes were washed in scalding hot water, then rinsed off in one bucket of cold water, one bucket of scalding hot rinse water. Getting the water wasn't too hard, unless it was winter, and you had to break through the ice, first. That included getting water for washing dishes, as well as taking a bath. THAT was done in an old bathtub sitting in the kitchen, that had no plumbing pipes hooked up to it, merely a hose that went from the bottom of the tub to a hole cut into the side of the house, for drainage.

A "treat" for me was to find berries in season to pick to make a pie.

But I knew how to live, an manage with barely any food in the house, no running water, no indoor plumbing, and elecricity.

From article above:

"I would focus more on what has changed in Celina's life in the last 24 or 48 hours," Garrett said. "The key with kids this age...is to interview those other 11, 12-year-olds that she associates with online or in person."

I think this is a good point..what, if anything, has changed in Celina's life lately? I would like to know how close she was to her real father...did she have visits with him, communicate somehow? How long has he been ill and in the hospital? Was this upsetting to her?

Did something change with her relationship with friends, in the family?

I guess these will be subjects the investigators will be asking about.

In my opinion those are very good questions that I'm wondering about as well.

One thing that really makes me think that Celina did not run away is her father's illness. I'd like to know about Celina's relationship with him and her extended family on her bio dad's side.

I don't know if I have missed it, but I'm wondering why Celina's bio dad or his family has not given any statements to the media-- especially since the step father's statement seems so sinister to me.

Was there any place, any one Celina could turn to for protection, to feel safe.:tears:

That is how I lived for 12 years. I had no running water or indoor plumbing. When I needed to wash dishes (which only happened weekly, because of what a chore it was) I had to go down to the lake, and bring up 5 gallon buckets of water to heat on the stove. Dishes were washed in scalding hot water, then rinsed off in one bucket of cold water, one bucket of scalding hot rinse water. Getting the water wasn't too hard, unless it was winter, and you had to break through the ice, first. That included getting water for washing dishes, as well as taking a bath. THAT was done in an old bathtub sitting in the kitchen, that had no plumbing pipes hooked up to it, merely a hose that went from the bottom of the tub to a hole cut into the side of the house, for drainage.

A "treat" for me was to find berries in season to pick to make a pie.

But I knew how to live, an manage with barely any food in the house, no running water, no indoor plumbing, and elecricity.

LOL, I may be older than you, I think, but even my grandparents (back in the late 1800s) never had it that hard. Guess you didn't like the "natural" life?

EDIT: I am now off to make a thread in the bowels of WS/Jury Room, on natural living vs living in the city/suburbs. Come join me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy