CA-Amber Leeanne Dubois (14 YO)- Escondido #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the high school has sent notes home to all students or even an email asking if anyone has any information.

According to this link http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Family-Friends-to-Hold-Vigil-for-Missing-Teen.html the highschool has sent home a statement to parents asking that their children walk in groups and pay attention to their surroundings. However, I don't think that note was a plea for help, necessarily. Also, I noticed on her highschools website (http://www.ehscougars.com/) there's a link to the Bring Amber Home website, so that anyone that sees it can help and bring in some tips, hopefully.

The Alzheimer's missing person that I mentioned earlier in a post is Sheila Lopes. She went missing in August. She probably doesn't have any connection to Amber's disappearance, but I was talking to someone who knew the family and they told me something that I can't get out of my mind and have been thinking about ever since. The Escondido police told the family that the woman could have fallen somewhere along her wondering path and would eventually be found dead OR that someone took her and kept her as a sex slave. She wasn't that old even though she had Alzheimer's. That is why I thought of Sheila Lopes when Amber went missing.

I want to protect their privacy because going through this is hard enough as it is, the microscope (but understandable scrutiny must make it even worse.

They are very close to one of the parents---

I wish there was more I could do but this was the first place I thought of.

Oh of course....i understand...i'm sorry for asking...i guess i wasn't thinking clearly...

I think i heard that too. Why would Amber have a number of a guy who didn't even know her on her cell phone?
And i'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but i'm confused...when did her father call the number? Cuz he doesn't have Amber's phone right now right?
Amber does right?
So when was that phone call made?

That's a good question. I guess I need to read the full transcripts of NG. I don't have time now but I will tonight.

I keep thinking 300 yards from school. Someone had to have seen something. Even if they think it isn't important I hope everyone has told everything they know or saw.

Praying for Amber (and her parents).

Weekend Flier Distribution:
http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local...for-Missing-Amber/glZVEOPuJU6Tpv0R0QtFMw.cspx

From the article:

"I don't think she's out in the hills as much, I think she's alive and she's at somebody's house" said Carrie McGonigle, Amber's mother.

Carrie welcomes the community to help her pass out more than 40,000 fliers she printed regarding Amber's disappearance. The strategy is to go door to door to as many of Escondido's 80,000 homes as possible.

From the above link:
There is another possible theory behind the disappearance of Amber Dubois. The 14-year-old girl has been missing since Friday February 13th. Amber's family and Private Investigator Bill Garcia are piecing together what they think may have happened. Their primary theory remains that Amber was abducted by a stranger while on her way to school, but now another possibility is developing.“Either someone that knew Amber or knew of Amber may have played a cruel prank on her being that is was Friday the 13th and the Valentine's day holiday,” says Garcia.

According to Garcia, based on talks with Amber's friends, Escondido High School has seen its fair share of cruel and unusual pranks. Specific details on what kind of pranks were not released.
In my opinion, fifteen days is way too long for this to be a prank. Unless, it started out as a prank and then went dreadfully wrong.

I do hope that this door to door effort will generate some leads. I can not imagine what Amber's loved ones are going through. :( She seems like such a likable kid, with a good head on her shoulders.

Escondido Police Need Help Locating Suspicious Man
Police: Too Early To Know If Connected To Dubois Dissappearance

Police asked for the public's help in finding a 20-something man who has been offering rides to girls walking home from school in the Oakhill area.

Three girls reported that a man in a small white compact offered them a ride home, said Escondido police Lt. Bob Benton.

In each case, the man approached the girls just after 3 p.m., he said.

It is too early to know if these incidents are connected to the disappearance the Amber Dubois, Escondido police said. Amber, 14, was last seen walking to Escondido High School more than two weeks ago.

One girl was in the 1400 block of Oakhill Street, and another was at Boyle and Rose Street, he said. The other location was unavailable.

When the girls declined a ride, the man drove off, Benton said.

The may be a Honda or Toyota, he said. The partial license plate is"5W00" or "5WWM," Benton said.

The man was described as a white man in his early 20s, with eye glasses and short dark hair, Benton said.

http://www.10news.com/news/18817934/detail.html

I think i heard that too. Why would Amber have a number of a guy who didn't even know her on her cell phone?
And i'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but i'm confused...when did her father call the number? Cuz he doesn't have Amber's phone right now right?
Amber does right?
So when was that phone call made?

I was thinking that once Amber didn't come home, her parents looked at their cell phone bill / cell phone records to see who Amber has been calling recently- and they just went down the list and called every number that was an incoming/outgoing call on the bill.

I didn't read that anywhere- JMO of what parents might do

I can access my cellphone records online too... so it is conceivable that her father logged in and saw the numbers that way.

I think this is pretty common: in elementary and middle school the school will call within the first 60-90 minutes to ask where your child is, but in high school you don't get an automated call until evening, saying "your child was not in 3rd period today, so have him/her stop by the attendance office to discuss."

I do know, however, that on a number of occasions across the U.S., even elementary and middle schools have failed to call home, with tragic consequences. (I get to read too many news stories of missing kids. :mad:)

IMO, it's unconscionable for a school to fail to call home or to call home and leave a message that asks for the whereabouts of a child. I mean, hello????? How is that going to help track down a child? The school needs to talk to a parent/guardian, not an answering machine.

Hoppy

Unfortunately, most schools are not staffed sufficiently to do that. Personally, I think that would be a great volunteer position for parents organizations to take on. As cell phones have become more and more common many districts feel it too costly to employ someone with the time to call that many parents. In our school alone that would be about 400 phone calls a day! Also, too many parents won't call the school and say, My child won't be in. If a healthy portion of the parental population would do that .. then the number of calls needed to be placed by the school would lessen dramatically.

Praying for Amber's safe and quick return.

Unfortunately, most schools are not staffed sufficiently to do that. Personally, I think that would be a great volunteer position for parents organizations to take on. As cell phones have become more and more common many districts feel it too costly to employ someone with the time to call that many parents. In our school alone that would be about 400 phone calls a day! Also, too many parents won't call the school and say, My child won't be in. If a healthy portion of the parental population would do that .. then the number of calls needed to be placed by the school would lessen dramatically.

Praying for Amber's safe and quick return.

You're so right about parents not calling to say their kid won't be at school. So unfortunate they shirk that responsibility.

Hoppy

I'm not sure it would work either for a parent to call the school to say their child would be absent. I know in my daughter's school the office was a little short staffed. Can you imagine if every parent with a child that was going to be absent called the school? Unless they set it up for the parent to leave a recording and then it was listened to in the morning by a staff memeber.

But then I start thinking of Ferris Bueller. Remember when he called the school to say he was sick and wouldn't be in? How would the school know that it was the actual parent that was calling?

I like one of the other poster's idea. To have your home phone calls automatically transfer to your cell. If you're at work you could always put it on vibrate and check the called ID before answering.

I was thinking that once Amber didn't come home, her parents looked at their cell phone bill / cell phone records to see who Amber has been calling recently- and they just went down the list and called every number that was an incoming/outgoing call on the bill.

I didn't read that anywhere- JMO of what parents might do

Thanks. That makes sense.

I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be every day that goes by w/out knowing where your child is??
It's like one day, they're here and the next day they're gone???
What is the last thing they talked about?
Did they hug her goodbye?
What are her favorite tv shows?
How do you eat dinner w/out her?
How do you sleep w/out saying goodnight to her?
I don't know....
I hope i never know that feeling at all....
2 weeks and no sign????
I want her to be found right now!
Her poor family...:(

I'm not sure it would work either for a parent to call the school to say their child would be absent. I know in my daughter's school the office was a little short staffed. Can you imagine if every parent with a child that was going to be absent called the school? Unless they set it up for the parent to leave a recording and then it was listened to in the morning by a staff memeber.

I think it only works if you have the volunteers/staff. At my child's high school ( small only 900 students) you were required to call in by a certain time. Once attendance was done, if your child was absent and you had not called in, they called every number they had for you. This would happen for any class they missed.
Parent participation was required at this school, like 40 hours per year per family or something so this was a volunteer duty you could sign up for. I did forget to call a few times and was always called.
One time they called me and told me my son had not shown up and was not marked in, I think it was 10th grade. I knew I had dropped him off so I was between panicked and thinking he had possibly skipped out which was hard to do at this school. Turns out the vice principal took a group to do a football talk and did not inform the front office!

Unless they set it up for the parent to leave a recording and then it was listened to in the morning by a staff memeber.

That is exactly what I meant and it's exactly how it works in our school system.

Has anyone heard any news on Amber today?
I can't seem to get her off my mind...

Amber's mother said police were looking into a new tip Saturday night. Amber was seen walking with a tall boy the day she went missing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29452288/

I hope that this tip will get LE closer to finding Amber. By all accounts, she seems like she is a very responsible and likable kid. I am happy to see that her disappearance is finally getting more coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member