OH - Three students killed in Chardon High School shooting, 27 Feb 2012

wre there metal detectors in school?
how did he get a gun in there?

no metal detectors passionflower.

According to a few tweets, and one post by a supposed local in another forum I frequent(not crime related), unofficial reports that there are now 3 deceased victims and possibly that the 4th is potentially paralyzed(quad). but again, twitter reports so YMMV.

oh no! even in my hick town we have them now!

I don't know if thats common in the US or not, anyone? Here I don't think I have EVER seen them, whether it be a rural school, or the school my husband works at ("alternative school" that combines an adult highschool, a true alternative school for kids expelled from school system, an autism unit school, etc. and they have had numerous violent/agressive situations).

Of course gun laws are so very different here, as is the culture(of guns) in general so that might make a difference(though we've had our own school shootings, going back like I said before to the 70's)

I know in our city at least, it would be almost impossible for someone to be caught sneaking something into a school. Although it seems from my US friends that things are much stricter, bathrooms are locked between classes, kids aren't allowed to leave the buildings,etc.

when will shooter be 18???

I don't think it really matters at this point...I don't think it could possibly be far enough off to save him from being tried as an adult.

It just sickens me that no one saw what was obviously a time bomb within this kid. Praying for all the families involved as the reality of the days events sets in this evening...sleep will not come easy for many tonight. Fervent prayers for those who are fighting for their lives tonight and the Dr.'s and medical staff responsible for their care. <><

We don't have the metal detectors here. We should! My county alone has over 200 public schools. Yes, 200!!!!! Last count I think was like 223 or so. That is just Broward county.

I do know that "some" of the high schools in Dade county (Miami) have them.

Personally, JMHO, that all high schools should have them. Period. In this day and age. What's the big deal? I think just the kids knowing that have to walk through them will, hopefully, deter some of them. If its going to happen it will - but any preventative measure taken can't hurt.

Well, so far, only Fox19 out of Cincinnati - and other affiliates who have picked up their story and thus aren't independently reporting information - is the only MSM source for the "two dead" tale. (At least that I can find.) AP just updated its standard story reporting the Chardon situation about ten minutes ago, and AP's headline still reads:

1 dead, 4 wounded in Ohio high school shooting

My understanding of the photos is that they were confirmed not to be him, and had been either posted earlier in the week and are someone else entirely(still seriously disturbing then i they are real) the article I was reading discussed it, going to see if I can find it now.

That's what I've read, too. Those are of someone else who remains unidentified.
The Teddy Bear/Valentine's pic is of the suspect, AFAIK.

He is a child in the eyes of the law. He's 17. So were his victims. High School kids.

I won't even get into the gun debate. My blood pressure would sky rocket.

At 17, he could still be tried as an adult and face life in prison. Happens all the time.

I don't believe this kid was bullied, he was probably the bullier......everything I have seen or read shows a very evil young man and looking at dad the fruit didn't fall far from the tree! He was to cowardly to not end his own life! It's to bad that he can't be executed!
At 17 one of my sons was in a war zone.....I feel nothing for this coward....and where was his family he had a open facebook and tweeter account, they should of done an invountary commitment, I have done it twice to my adult daughter, because I am a responsible parent!
:maddening:

Very evil young man? I didn't see anything that evidenced that, per se. I struggle with these situations. If we have sympathy for the victims, we have to recognize that most likely, the shooter is one as well.

He obviously had things going on in his head.......I feel like the only person that thinks people should have personal responsibility......come on people, I was married at 16 had my first baby at 17, bought a house at 17! HE IS 17, we have soldiers at that age, this is NOT a child.....he should know right from wrong

There have been numerous studies that support just the opposite. Teenage frontal lobe development is not only undeveloped , it's actually hindered. Predicting consequences for their actions isn't a given. So knowing "right from wrong" is subjective. With a horrible upbringing.... maybe not.

To my knowlege my town has metal detectors and guards at the doors from elementary to senior high in public system.
I tripped 1 off just last week..........my purse trim.......

Have we heard anything more about the massive FBI search at his family member's house today?

No daisy. That's what I waiting to hear. The "back story" to all this. You know there is one. Just the red flags we've seen already - its there.

Probably won't get any more info tonight - maybe tomorrow.

Have we heard anything more about the massive FBI search at his family member's house today?
All AP has in the recent update about the whole search question is this:
Officers investigating the shooting blocked off a road in a heavily wooded area several miles from the school. Federal agents patrolled the muddy driveway leading to several spacious homes and ponds, while other officers walked a snowy hillside. A police dog was brought in. It wasn't clear what they were looking for.
Of course, this is their standard "overview" story, so maybe they or someone else have an article which takes a more specific look at the question. Haven't seen one yet though.

Title needs changed to state 2 have died now....maybe 3???
Still partially unclear if two in fact have died, with only one station - and others who've picked up its story and haven't independently confirmed it - saying two right now.

http://www./198637/chardon-high-school-shooter-was-formerly-friends-with-victims/

just saw this

Still partially unclear if two in fact have died, with only one station - and others who've picked up its story and haven't independently confirmed it - saying two right now.

RT @BreakingNews: Source: A second Chardon High School student has died - @19ActionNews http://t.co/yJoP4ZeI
2 hours ago by tweet

#3 not confirmed
and this young person has not been ID by press yet.
How very sad

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back