2012.02.07 - 911 Tapes Released

I am confused why you included the ICWA laws . . . to my knowledge - no one has stated these 2 children were of Native American descent.
Josh was able to move the children across state lines because he is the boys natural Father. There was no mechanism to keep him in Utah in place at the time (I don't think there ever was). He was not restricted by LE in Utah from moving. Once he got to Washington, the CPS did not have a mechanism to become involved with the children and Josh's parental rights until cops raided ole' man SP's computers.

The allegation of abuse was at Steven's house - all of the threats to risk of harm to the children appeared to be associated with living at SP's house. CPS always works towards removing the risk to the kids. The "sham" house that Josh put together was exactly what was needed to ameliorate the issues that brought the children into care. Josh had the onus of responsiblity to correct the problems, and it appeared that he was doing just that.

The new information that came through about how much was really on his computer in Utah was information that was 2 years old. It was not an allegation of "ongoing" child abuse and neglect.

BTW - we are on the wrong topic. . . . so I will bring this back to the 911 tape release. One thing that always haunted me was the referral to EGH for the supervised visits indicated the first call would be to LE if he tries to flee with the children. EGH did just that but didn't have enough info (ie: knowing about the hatchet & gas) about his intentions to accurately assess what Josh might be doing. Did DCFS have info about Josh's childhood? Mental health history? Criminal history? Josh was such an incredible manipulator - I highly doubt anyone had any inkling of his sinister plans.

BBM I was responding to a post that included American Indian children and correcting the mis-information. :) I know that they were not AI; the reference was to a possible avenue in law to address the situation. It pertains to the visitation and supervision, in toto, as was stated in the OP.

Some of the local radio stations have played the 911 tapes again this morning. Everytime I hear that operator, it makes my blood boil (and sick, too, knowing the outcome).

Some of the local radio stations have played the 911 tapes again this morning. Everytime I hear that operator, it makes my blood boil (and sick, too, knowing the outcome).

It is excruciating to listen to the first call, for sure.

But I'll say this, even good employees can mess up - it happens. Apparently, he acknowledged his errors right from the get-go and knew how he was going to change. Honestly, folks, how do you manage with a long-term employee? Chop a good employee off at the knees just before retirement?

I don't know what else could have been done to him to make the point. But, I can't agree that he should have been terminated...

His main problem seemed to be that he didn't know who JP was. That part I do find hard to fathom. Was he living in some hobbit hole?

IMO

I agree that the dispatcher needed the reprimand. He made mistakes and lives were lost.

In re-listening to the call, I still hold to the belief that the woman who was supervising the visit could have helped the situation if she had training in how to make a 911 call. Rule #1: get out the nature of the emergency immediately. If she had initially summarized the situation by saying that she is at xyz address and there are two children in danger, the automatic response would have been to dispatch a patrol car. After the police are on the way is the time to go into all the details she imparted first. It may have taken 1 minute to locate the address in her car, but it would have been less time than going into the long-winded explanation before the dispatcher understood the gravity of the situation.

I'm sure both people involved must feel such pain for what happened. We feel it and we are at a distance. Imagine what they must both feel. My heart goes out to both of them.

I agree. Recently, on some other case nationally, 911 operators praised (mayb even awarded?) a small child, saying that their 911 call was everything they wish they could get from adults. It would certainly be interesting to know whether anyone has studied this.

Just as children need training to resist "strangers," do adults need training to resist the charms of psychopaths like Josh, so that when something goes wrong, we don't spend too many minutes processing all the "weirdness" of that? Do we need training to get to the heart of the matter more quickly, because as adults, we are aware of complexities that kids aren't?

I'm also thinking about the 3-year-old carjacked kid who came to a woman's door and said, "Help me. I'm cold." I wonder if an adult in trouble puts it that concisely, automatically.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back