GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

But if that SOB ever somehow gets out of prison, I will move as far as I possibly can to be away from wherever he's going to be.

He'll never get out. Life without parole means what it says. The only way he's getting out of prison is in a pine box.

I had a 90 minute phone call from my MIL and missed everything after the warden. Now I am not getting any video at all from WRAL or the Durham station. Can somebody please bring me up to date on what's going on? Thanks so much!

they are on lunch break till 1315, i think! I mean, one fifteen. today was interesting, to me, so far. JW's aunt testified, and It was a good testimony for the LWP aspect of things, to me. They also heard from a consultant regarding what life in federal prison will be like.....not very much fun, I'm afraid. It was interesting. There is still a LOTTA testimony to come, and a lot of details that I'm not sure I can keep up with today. Hello to everyone! Be well, I am back to work tonight.

There's no more testimony to come. They dismissed the jury for the rest of the day and will hold a charge conference and other matters between the defense and prosecution for the remainder of the court day.

Closing arguments for sentencing will begin tomorrow morning.

The case will be in the jury's hands by tomorrow afternoon.

from WRAL: Just In: Both prosecutors and defense attorneys have rested in the sentencing hearing of Jason Williford, who could face the death penalty for the 2010 murder of state school board member Kathy Taft. Attorneys are expected to present final arguments Wednesday morning before jurors deliberate his sentence.

they are on lunch break till 1315, i think! I mean, one fifteen. today was interesting, to me, so far. JW's aunt testified, and It was a good testimony for the LWP aspect of things, to me. They also heard from a consultant regarding what life in federal prison will be like.....not very much fun, I'm afraid. It was interesting. There is still a LOTTA testimony to come, and a lot of details that I'm not sure I can keep up with today. Hello to everyone! Be well, I am back to work tonight.

Thank you so much. I didn't know if they were finished with all of it or just what.
Get some rest since you will work tonight.

There's no more testimony to come. They dismissed the jury for the rest of the day and will hold a charge conference and other matters between the defense and prosecution for the remainder of the court day.

Closing arguments for sentencing will begin tomorrow morning.

The case will be in the jury's hands by tomorrow afternoon.

from WRAL: Just In: Both prosecutors and defense attorneys have rested in the sentencing hearing of Jason Williford, who could face the death penalty for the 2010 murder of state school board member Kathy Taft. Attorneys are expected to present final arguments Wednesday morning before jurors deliberate his sentence.

Thank you, I got lost with the long phone call and have had yet another since my original post asking for catch up help. I may have to turn my ringer off, or not, if things become boring. Thanks again.

O/T

Abaroa blurb.

Set to go at the end of October in Durham County. I ASSUME this year... they did not say. Maybe more info a bit later...

End O/T

:rocker: --- that a-hole ruined the name Raven for me.

So did the Taft family not give any sort of impact statement?

They did not give any testimony during the sentencing phase. Any kind of statement would be something they'd give after or right before sentencing was imposed by the judge, if they wanted. I don't believe they will say anything in court.

Don't know about Ackerson (is it? maybe between the two of us sharpies, we'll land on it!). That trial will be here in Wake County, so there's no tellin.'

What you said sounds about right, but I've seen nothing on it lately...

The victim is Laura Ackerson. The defendants are Grant and Amanda Hayes/Haze. Can't wait for this one.

The victim is Laura Ackerson. The defendants are Grant and Amanda Hayes/Haze. Can't wait for this one.

W.T.F. :what: I just read the background on this case. This is too wrong, too sad. Why do we do this sh11111t to each other?

W.T.F. :what: I just read the background on this case. This is too wrong, too sad. Why do we do this sh11111t to each other?

I'm really looking forward to the Haze/Hayes trial--if there is one--but it's going to be somewhat gruesome which I don't like. I honestly felt that Amanda would have been singing her heart out, telling the goods on Grant to anybody who would listen by now in an attempt to save her own life. they have a young baby together and had custody of Grant's 2 other kids with Laura A. It's very nasty, evil....the kind movies are made from.

Does anyone have a feeling as to which way the jury will go on the Williford sentence?

Does anyone have a feeling as to which way the jury will go on the Williford sentence?

IMO, the chances are slim to none for the death penalty. I had the charge conference on in the background, and I don't even get the impression that the State is hot for it. But again, it never made sense to me that the DP was sought in the first place.

I will be shocked in disbelief if that's their sentence. My bet is the jury will come back rather quickly with a LWOP decision. What do you think?

ETA: now the Ackerson case - to me, THAT should be a DP case! They premeditated an ambush on Laura, and then chopped her up, rented a U-Haul and drove her body parts in coolers, with the CHILDREN IN THE CAR, to Texas. It's too bad GH and AH aren't being TRIED IN TEXAS! I bet they blame each other! But I don't think Amanda is a remotely innocent party - she can claim PPD, but I bet she was an equal co-conspirator. It will be very interesting though. I wonder if she may have knocked off one of her prior husbands as well.

I predict LWOP.

It doesn't appear to me that Saacks is fighting all that hard for the DP. I think he's just happy they got the 1st degree conviction and I bet the Taft family feels the same way.

IMO, the chances are slim to none for the death penalty. I had the charge conference on in the background, and I don't even get the impression that the State is hot for it. But again, it never made sense to me that the DP was sought in the first place.

I will be shocked in disbelief if that's their sentence. My bet is the jury will come back rather quickly with a LWOP decision. What do you think?

ETA: now the Ackerson case - to me, THAT should be a DP case! They premeditated an ambush on Laura, and then chopped her up, rented a U-Haul and drove her body parts in coolers, with the CHILDREN IN THE CAR, to Texas. It's too bad GH and AH aren't being TRIED IN TEXAS! I bet they blame each other! But I don't think Amanda is a remotely innocent party - she can claim PPD, but I bet she was an equal co-conspirator. It will be very interesting though. I wonder if she may have knocked off one of her prior husbands as well.

Since JW is so young, life without the possibility of parole is just fine with me. He will have a mighty long time in that tiny cell to reflect upon the errors of his youth. He's intelligent and I hope he will find a positive way that his being in prison will matter or make a difference in some capacity.
The DA's office has already announced they will not seek the DP in the a Haze/Hayes case. And I'm with you, if any case has ever been ripe for the DP it seems that this one definitely does. Did they release the start date of May 2013 a couple of weeks ago.

Originally Posted by Prancy

------------------- respectfully snipped by borndem--------------------

My thoughts exactly, Boodles! I would be curious to know if there are any votes at all for the DP. Another piece of this whack-o puzzle that we will never know.

I listened with half an ear to the charge conference, too, and Saacks had only a few objections to the mitigating items that Conner & his team had listed to be read to the jury. And Saacks had just a couple of aggravating factors to be included. I don't want to take anything away from Saacks because he is absolutely top-notch, but IMO, his heart really was not in this argument for the DP. He was attentive and did word the objections he had very well and with good foundation, IMO, but I don't think he is he!!-bent on bringing this part of the case home.

As for me, I like LWOP. :jail:

I think the defense and the Taft family realize that the life without parole is the easiest way for this to resolve. A DP verdict means forever dragging on appeals, more court appearances for the family (both), just on and on and on and he will probably die in prison while awaiting death if the norm runs its course. So life without parole serves the same purpose in many ways and it brings a total and complete end for the most part for all involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back