4 year old boy drinking and roaming neighborhood

It would have been better if he didn't know his Dad was in jail.

AT least no one gave him the beer, etc. It wasn't as bad as Ithought it was going to be.

Oh my. It sounds like this child needs some counseling badly! I hope this child gets the help he needs.

No kidding, this child certainly does need help. Or he will end up in prison, just like his daddy. Terribly sad.

Can you imagine seeing this little guy in the dress with the beer? I'm very glad he is safe but I am getting a little chuckle out of it too. Sorry. The apple never falls too far from the tree though, does it?

In the video, Mom says "Kids do things like this, and I mean, it's out of your control..."

At four years old?

And I agree that the boy shouldn't know his Dad is in jail. At four years old he shouldn't even understand what jail is. If he knows he has to steal and drink to go to jail, there is something wrong. Sounds like Mom has pounded the fact that his Father is in jail into this poor kid's head.

I wish I hadn't even read that story.

In the video, Mom says "Kids do things like this, and I mean, it's out of your control..."

At four years old?

And I agree that the boy shouldn't know his Dad is in jail. At four years old he shouldn't even understand what jail is. If he knows he has to steal and drink to go to jail, there is something wrong. Sounds like Mom has pounded the fact that his Father is in jail into this poor kid's head.

The mother is very young. 21 years old. Meaning she had her baby at 16.

We can pretty much write the rest of this story.

Mom makes bad choices in men and chooses this loser. He is in jail and she is divorcing him.

Child is all screwed up because mom had this loser in his life. She needed a man no matter how awful the person was. Man is probably into drugs.

Now with the divorce mom will still make bad choices in men and bring these men into her home to hang with her already messed up kid.

Child's first trip to juvenile hall is when he is about 8 for stealing.

Sorry, I am not trying to be judgemental but haven't we all seen this a million times in our lives?

The only way this poor baby will make it in life is if someone intervenes and provides him with a good decent role model.

Maybe this woman will meet her knight in shining armor who will whisk her and her son away to a better life. It could happen although I have yet to see it.

Tricia

At four years old?

that statement stuck out to me too ...

idk about anyone else but at 4 yrs. old:

I didn't break outta the house - through 'secure' child-safety latches no less(it wouldn't have even crossed my mind)
I didn't steal my grandpa's beer & manage to open it & drink some
I didn't wander down the dark, cold street at night (scary!)
I didn't steal from my neighbours

at that age this close to Christmas, I would've been asleep in my comfy, warm bed, dreaming about Santa Claus

something's really wrong here ... beyond the obvious ...

What a strange sad story. I have to say that I do not think it is wrong to tell a 4-year-old their father is in jail. Some children that age even go visit parents in jail.

My prayers for this family.

IMO the biggest decision a 4 year old should have to worry about making is which toy he will want to play with after dinner, or how he is going to sucker Mom into letting him stay up a little later tonight. Not how he's going to pull off getting sent to jail to be with his Father.

I wonder if the world, online and real, will stop judging mothers on age.
This mother could just as easily have been 30 or 40.
Her age makes no difference. She was not watching her child. Her age had no part. She allowed beer at her home to be in reach of her child. Her age had no part. She allowed her child to know things that he has no business knowing at 4, such as where his daddy is. Her age had no part.
This womans problems are due to a serious lack of responsibility and a bad case of immaturity. And we have all seen that across the age groups.
Age plays no part in parenting. A brain does...she seems to be lacking in that area.

Yes, I am a bit biased, being a 24 year old mother of 4, all under 7 years old.

Frankly after seeing this on the internet and finding this thread here in Current Events "Bizarre and Offbeat News," all I could think was it's by God's grace we're not all reading about this little boy in the "Missing" forum...

Mom's minimizing the seriousness of this entire incident, is awfully cavalier given her 4 year-old was found wandering the streets, consuming alcohol and entering homes in the wee hours of the night... good grief (I'm afraid to ask, "what's next!") :doh:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/12/18/crimesider/entry5995978.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

:parrot:

IMO The kid is very bright and determined. If his energy and perseverance can be focused in a positive direction...he'll be fine! This kid just needs a positive role model in his life. I hope he gets it...and soon.

I wandered out of the house one night, at 4 years old, in nothing but my nightgown and snow boots. It had snowed and I didn't feel like waiting for morning. LOL Thankfully, a neighbor that worked second shift saw me and returned me to rather SHOCKED parents.

I also had a girlfriend whose daughter, at age 5, helped herself to a BIG plastic glass of wine. The kid was sloshed before anyone even realize what she was drinking. It wasn't until she staggered across the family room............

I heard this story on the radio tonight and couldn't believe it. How sad. This little boy should be doing 4 yr old things and not worrying about how to get himself arrested in order to be with his father. I really think he needs counsiling.:twocents:

Yea well I'm not amused lax supervision isn't a laughing matter IMO. Why should a 4 year-old be burdened by the details of his parent's criminal life yet either. Tricia's right, he desperately needs some better role models. And Carriebeans right too, if a child's behavior is "out of a parent's control" at age four that is pathetic, God forbid when he hits kindergarten, or what will she do when he turns six, hate to see seven. Sounds like the mom who needs counseling. She's obviously already had issues too w her toddler roaming unattended in the past or wouldn't have even attempted w/e inadequate measures she did and it's up to parents to keep their alcohol and other toxic substances out of their child's reach. That's Parenting 101, and sociopaths are made not born no demon seeds sorry. JMO

Yea well I'm not amused lax supervision isn't a laughing matter IMO. Why should a 4 year-old be burdened by the details of his parent's criminal life yet either. Tricia's right, he desperately needs some better role models. And Carriebeans right too, if a child's behavior is "out of a parent's control" at age four that is pathetic, God forbid when he hits kindergarten, or what will she do when he turns six, hate to see seven. Sounds like the mom who needs counseling. She's obviously already had issues too w her toddler roaming unattended in the past or wouldn't have even attempted w/e inadequate measures she did and it's up to parents to keep their alcohol and other toxic substances out of their child's reach. That's Parenting 101, and sociopaths are made not born no demon seeds sorry. JMO

I actually feel sorry for this little boy. It is obvious that he hasn't received any proper parenting or nurturing but the thought that even though his daddy is in jail he longed to see him breaks my heart. Maybe he saw the policeman take his daddy away.

I don't watch Cops anymore but I use to years ago and it was heartbreaking to see the many little children that clung to either their mom or daddy while they were crying hysterically as the police were taking them off to jail. I guess that shows that no matter how inept these parents are those little children still loves them.

imo

There is a big difference though between having a four year old out of control with temper tantrums and having a four year old out of control doing things that kids would normally have no clue about until years later. The kid was definitely taught this behaviour. He certainly didn't figure it all out on his own at the age of four. Poor little guy. I hope his Mother gets her act together or someone steps in.

Sad story but glad he is ok..

I sort of agree with Linda...this little guy seems to be a real "self starter"...now all he needs is someone/people to help him go in the RIGHT direction

so many of these cases seem to be about young, ill prepared parents who make bad decision after bad decision
and women who keep hanging on to "bad boy" losers

really gets depressing

I hope we will hear GOOD things about this kid in the future
*(but there is also the sad option that this might not be the last we hear of him, and it MIGHT not be good unless something changes drastically)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back