WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been following this case for years. I even bought the Joyce Carol Oates book from Amazon (didn't read, tried but too boring) When I saw this It really struck me. The shape of Jonathan Depatie's hairline and jaw... just jumped out at me. Then I saw the date he went missing was only 1 month before Lyle took his life! Coincidence? I realize the stats are slightly off (height, estimated age) Could this be him????????????

Welcome to WS, PI Baker! I have followed this one off and on myself. It is a very interesting match you came up with and I haven't gotten into it yet...but I am headed of for a comparison study here. Thanks for posting! He does look a lot like him.

(First, we need to see if he has been mentioned here and possibly ruled out for some reason.)

Here is the Doe case photo of Lyle:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/233umwa.html

The "unibrow" is pretty distinct with Lyle.

In Depatie's photo taken in 2001 (same year he went missing a month before Lyle), you can clearly see the eyebrows are much thinner and no sign of a unibrow. This is the first thing that stands out to me. Next is the obvious height differences between 5' 10" of Depatie and 6' 2" of Lyle. The shapes of the eyes and width are off, too.

I think we can safely rule out Depatie as Lyle, imo.

I've been following this case for years. I even bought the Joyce Carol Oates book from Amazon (didn't read, tried but too boring) When I saw this It really struck me. The shape of Jonathan Depatie's hairline and jaw... just jumped out at me. Then I saw the date he went missing was only 1 month before Lyle took his life! Coincidence? I realize the stats are slightly off (height, estimated age) Could this be him????????????

I know i've stopped to look at this guy a few times but never found better pictures besides the black and white one.. but here's a link w/ a better pic.. see what ya think!

http://latino.myspace.com/jondepatie

I have been lurking and watching this thread for years with not much to add until now - I think Jon Depatie is definitely the closest looking to our UID that we have seen so far!!

Wow, Kaylenbabysims, what excellent sleuthing! John does seem to have the attached earlobes but I just can't tell if there is a mole on the left side of his chin. that would be the clincher.

I am sorry but IMO there is no resemblance at all. John is also Hispanic Lyle isn't. IMO.

Depatie didn't have time since his photo was taken the same year to grow the unibrow and his eyes are quite different than Lyle's (wider apart than Lyle's). You can't go from 5'10" to 6' 2" in a month either. ;) IMO, cannot be John. Sorry.

The actual URL for his myspace starts with latino.myspace while most normal ones are just myspace.com

I checked out his myspace again and I dont see any spanish on there though

I am sorry but IMO there is no resemblance at all. John is also Hispanic Lyle isn't. IMO.

I have also looked and could not find any mention of him being hispanic.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: August 11, 2001 from Missoula, Montana
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: December 15, 1962
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 160 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Square jaw
Clothing: Hospital scrubs, t-shirt

Dentals: Available

http://www.nampn.org/cases/depatie_jonathan.html

I have also looked and could not find any mention of him being hispanic.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: August 11, 2001 from Missoula, Montana
Classification: Missing
Date Of Birth: December 15, 1962
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 160 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Square jaw
Clothing: Hospital scrubs, t-shirt

Dentals: Available

http://www.nampn.org/cases/depatie_jonathan.html

Thanks! Just thought we may be looking at different pages.

Most times I am skeptical of matches for "Lyle Stevik" and my gut tells me that this is likely not him. However when I look at John's pictures I definately see a resemblance. Probably more so than any others that I have seen so far. I know some of the stats are off, but others have been compared and ruled out with greater differences in stats than those of John Depatie. I just don't think it should be dismissed. Perhaps if "coldcaseman" logs in sometime soon, he could give us his opinion on J.D.

Thanks Rhyno1974, I feel the same way. After pouring over the myspace site for John, I'm not so sure it's him either but he is the closest I've seen and I don't feel qualified to rule him out.

I don't recall seeing Depatie before, but I no longer have access to the entire file. I'll forward this info to Sgt. Shumate at the Sheriff's Office, and have him check for fingerprints, etc. NEVER exclude a possile match because of differences in height, eye color, etc. Tattoos, missing teeth, and such are generally good descriptors, but I still prefer to check for fingerprints, dental records, DNA and such just to be sure. Often, Hispanics will be classified as "white", and light brown hair is classified as "blond".

Someone asked on another website (that I posted on about Lyle) if Lyle was circumcised- something that I've automatically doubted considering everything else that has ruled out during the autopsy (no illness, medication, smoking habit, drug useage or fractured body parts although I think he broke his nose based on the shape of it)

Someone asked on another website (that I posted on about Lyle) if Lyle was circumcised- something that I've automatically doubted considering everything else that has ruled out during the autopsy (no illness, medication, smoking habit, drug useage or fractured body parts although I think he broke his nose based on the shape of it)
He was circumcised. Nothing in tox to indicate he used drugs, and no indications in the motel room, in his clothing, or in his body that he was a smoker.

He was circumcised

Suprising that it never got mentioned on the Doe Network
I always did wonder if he was Jewish though

On the side, here is Judaism's take on suicide:
Question
What is the Jewish attitude to burying a suicide?
Answer
Judaism regards suicide as a criminal act. Someone who commits suicide is considered a murderer. It matters not whether he kills someone else or himself. His soul is not his to extinguish.
Judaism's opposition to suicide is found in the story of Noah's Ark. After the flood, God says to Noah: Your blood which belongs to your souls I will demand; from the hand of every beast will I demand it. From the hand of every man; from the hand of every man who is his brother will I demand the life of man.(Genesis 9:5)
The Talmud (Baba Kama 90b) learns from the first part of the verse, "And surely the blood of your lives I will demand," that one may not wound his own body. All the more so, he may not take his own life.
There is also a deep spiritual consequence to suicide.
When a person commits suicide, the soul has nowhere to go. It cannot return to the body, because the body is destroyed. And it is not let in to any of the soul worlds, because its time has not come. This state of limbo is very painful. A person may commit suicide because he wants to escape, but in reality he is getting a far worse situation.
In this world, if we try hard enough sometimes we can solve the problem. But after death there are no solutions, only consequences.
When a Jew commits suicide, he is not permitted a full Jewish burial, and there is even a debate whether shiva (the seven-day mourning period) is observed or whether the kaddish prayer is said.
In practice today, however, suicide is usually treated as a normal death, since it is assumed that the person was not of a normal state of mind. But we still see the gravity by which Judaism views suicide.
With blessings from Jerusalem,

Rabbi Shraga Simmons

http://judaism.about.com/library/3_askrabbi_o/bl_simmons_burysuicide.htm

If he was Jewish, this could be why he didn't take much with him or leave anything leading to his identity

All religions consider suicide a bad thing. I am sure he had another reason for not leaving anything behind to prove who he was.

Thanks! Just thought we may be looking at different pages.

Most times I am skeptical of matches for "Lyle Stevik" and my gut tells me that this is likely not him. However when I look at John's pictures I definately see a resemblance. Probably more so than any others that I have seen so far. I know some of the stats are off, but others have been compared and ruled out with greater differences in stats than those of John Depatie. I just don't think it should be dismissed. Perhaps if "coldcaseman" logs in sometime soon, he could give us his opinion on J.D.

Hi Rhyno, Now that was sweet having coldcaseman show up so soon. LOL Gives a good solid feeling to me about who he is and what he does. YaYa

Well blow me over, I have looked at so many possibles for Lyle and this is the closest I have seen too! Actually amazing. Many things are quite close on his info page.

I don't see an earlobe on that right ear of his. But I was surprised that if he doesn't have them they would leave that off his info sheet.

There is one thing that is very unique about Lyle that I almost never see. It is the special shape of his chin. It has to be a heredity issue with some grouping or nationality of people. This new prospect seems to have that chin, although the photo is quite small for this ooooold lady. LOL

But we can't forget that he had recently lost quite a bit of weight. The photo of this new man on the right, he looks heavier in that photo. Is the photo on the left in death? He has the same blank round eyed look that Lyle does in his eyes.

Missoula isn't too far from the Olympic Penninsula.

It is the best possibility I have seen.

Big Hugs to all you diehards. I luv you all xox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members