Southwest States - AZ, CA, CO, NM, OK, TX, AR, LA, UT, NV - Weather Discussion

help, lol

been an intense 24 hours in the denver, boulder areas.

its a freaking mess here.

help, lol

been an intense 24 hours in the denver, boulder areas.

its a freaking mess here.

Hoping you are safe! Trying to send you our dry weather your way.

I remember the canyon flood that killed over a hundred, wiping out a campsite and homes many, many years ago. This flood however, seems so widespread. Can't believe all the roads and highways closed from the flood....and simply gone.

Weather Channel has been covering the floods last two days. With some Jersey shore coverage. The videos are just almost impossible to believe.

It's like a 'storm surge' on land!

After a severely hot and dry summer, we are finally getting substantial rain. I don't know if it will get us out of this record drought, but it's a welcome relief. The temps are finally down to the low 70's.

It's really strange dealing with humidity. My skin looks softer and my hair is shinier. But I can't get beyond the feeling that a wet blanket has been dropped on my shoulders. Today I closed the windows and put on the heat just to dry out the house a little. I could never live in a humid climate again.

I don't know if I'd label it Global Warming, but I'm absolutely sure that the weather is changing. When I first moved to NM the winters were cold with adequate snow- enough to keep our reservoirs replenished. The sun would quickly melt the snow so it didn't usually stick around for more than a couple of days.

We'd have several weeks of hot weather in the summer but I don't remember it ever getting into the 100's. Even the high 90's was rare. The monsoons would swoop in bringing lots of rain and cool temps. with a refreshing breeze. in the evenings.

Now, everything is changed. The spring and autumn seasons have been cut short, barely leaving time to plant before the summer heat is cooking the soil. And we jump so quickly from summer to winter that there's hardly time to winterize the house.

Maybe we could share some Climate Change stories from our areas.

Hoping you are safe! Trying to send you our dry weather your way.

I remember the canyon flood that killed over a hundred, wiping out a campsite and homes many, many years ago. This flood however, seems so widespread. Can't believe all the roads and highways closed from the flood....and simply gone.

Weather Channel has been covering the floods last two days. With some Jersey shore coverage. The videos are just almost impossible to believe.

It's like a 'storm surge' on land!

Thank you Show Me! :) Safe here, barely, lol.

Oarfish predicting earthquakes? I do believe animals can detect danger ahead of us. Through out history we read of animals abandoning cities before an earthquake, or behaving strangely.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/can-...akes-maybe-its-not-crazy-it-sounds-8C11443269

Can oarfish predict earthquakes? Maybe it's not as crazy as it sounds

Now, some are claiming that oarfish washing ashore is a sign that an earthquake will soon follow. Shortly before the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami struck Japan, about 20 oarfish stranded themselves on beaches in the area, Mark Benfield, a researcher at Louisiana State University, told LiveScience in an earlier interview.

This past Saturday (Oct 26, 2013), I heard the most intense thunder I have ever heard (for reference, I am in Central Texas). I usually love thunder storms but this one woke me up around 1/2am and the thunder was so intense, it scared the living hay out of me, I was waiting for the world to cave in. It sounded like we were literally in the middle of a thunder cloud, absolutely intense!

Winter Storm Boreas Creates Dangerous Conditions from California into Texas

http://www.wunderground.com/news/winter-storm-boreas-news-20131122

Winter Storm Boreas moved into parts of the U.S. Southwest and Southern Plains, bringing arctic temperatures and wintry precipitation into the region.

(MORE: Drivers, Avoid These Cities)

Parts of Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas were already feeling some impacts by Friday........

Ian McAnally @IancredibleMS
“@finebaum: Ice being removed from @boonepickens Stadium. pic.twitter.com/bkU0NHAI0O” Wow. Ice in Stillwater?

It started raining here in Tucson last night and is still raining now! It's a blessing and the desert is just soaking it up.

Powerful storm system blasts US West; 5 killed

http://centurylink.net/news/read/category/Top News/article/ap-west_braces_for_more_stormy_weather-ap

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A powerful storm system marched toward New Mexico on Saturday with predictions of widespread snow, freezing temperatures and gusty winds after leaving parts of the Western U.S. soaked.

The fierce weather has led to at least five deaths, with flooding and water rescues reported in California, stranded drivers in Nevada and hundreds of crashes among desert dwellers in Arizona and New Mexico.......more with pictures....

Powerful storm system blasts US West; 5 killed

http://centurylink.net/news/read/category/Top News/article/ap-west_braces_for_more_stormy_weather-ap

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A powerful storm system marched toward New Mexico on Saturday with predictions of widespread snow, freezing temperatures and gusty winds after leaving parts of the Western U.S. soaked.

The fierce weather has led to at least five deaths, with flooding and water rescues reported in California, stranded drivers in Nevada and hundreds of crashes among desert dwellers in Arizona and New Mexico.......more with pictures....

Saw this maybe brewing. Could this be the Thanksgiving Day that there are no balloons at the Macy's Parade due to winds? I love the balloons!

We're blanketed by at least 12" of snow at my location, which is a lot for New Mexico. I'm not happy about it, but as DrKnow expressed in an earlier post, those of us in the desert need the moisture.

Snow usually melts quite quickly right after the sun comes out, so they don't bother plowing most of the streets. We were advised to stay in and not contribute to the hazardous road conditions.

I think it might snow again tonight, which will mean I'd have to put off my errands until Tuesday. I'm hoping we'll see sunshine in a few days. At least I don't have to be concerned about commuting to a job!

Massive Thanksgiving storm heads east

More than 300 flights canceled in Dallas-Fort Worth area

Author: By Holly Yan CNN

Published On: Nov 25 2013 03:09:15 AM EST Updated On: Nov 25 2013 09:25:03 AM EST

(CNN) -
The wicked wintry weather that pummeled the West Coast is now barreling across the country, threatening to wreck millions of holiday travel plans just before Thanksgiving.

The storm has already contributed to at least 10 traffic fatalities.

Nearly 400 flights have been canceled in the Dallas-Fort Worth area -- not exactly a bastion for snowstorms. Sleet and freezing rain will keep blanketing parts of the Southern Plains and Southern Rockies on Monday...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ast/-/1719418/23141250/-/q14yjnz/-/index.html

Safe travels, Websleuthers :please:

It appears that the storm has moved on. It's a bright, sunny day here in Santa Fe and temps will be warming up through Thanksgiving. The low temps and snow are unusual for this time of the year, so I'm looking forward to the return of more seasonal weather.

Saw this maybe brewing. Could this be the Thanksgiving Day that there are no balloons at the Macy's Parade due to winds? I love the balloons!

Macy's issued a statement that the balloons would be grounded if the winds hit 23 mph. I looked and there will be gust's to 40 mph. They also have increased the handlers of the balloons from 50 to 90-110.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2013/11/northeast-storm-ground-macys-day-parade-balloons

New York City rules dictate that the balloon lift-off must be cancelled should “sustained winds exceed 23 m.p.h. and gusts exceed 34 m.p.h.,” a decree made in 1997 after some nasty winds resulted in a Cat in the Hat balloon knocking into a light pole, which injured a parade spectator. At the moment, winds tomorrow are expected to reach 20 m.p.h., with gusts reaching 36 m.p.h., which puts the forecast right in the “no go” danger zone.

People living in the DFW area are, for the most part, stranded in place today, as sleet continues to fall and freeze.

My area has about 3 inches of snow with lots of ice mixed in. "Wet snow".
I only see a few cars moving on the news reports and they are strugging.
The roads are sheets of ice.

As for me and my house, we still have electricity but have experienced a major failure of the " brain" of the pool, the pump. It has a built in feature to circulate the pool water when the thermometer reaches near freezing. The thermostat did not work today or the pump failed independently of the thermostat.
It is a huge mess this AM. No water is flowing, and I venture that it has major damage to the plumbing and electrical system.

There are many power outages and since I live so very far out in the country, am hoping not to lose power, as it could be several days for restoration, as history has demonstrated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back