IN - Teenager wearing earphones killed by train

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Teenager wearing earphones killed by train
A 13-year-old boy walks home along railway tracks. The train driver allegedly sounds his horn. The boy doesn't hear.
bellinger.jpg

CEDAR LAKE, Ind. (WLS) -- This is simply a tragedy.

Classmates, friends and relatives honored Jeffery Bellinger, 13, at a Cedar Lake church Wednesday night. He was killed Tuesday afternoon when he was hit by a freight train while walking home from school.

"He was smiling all the time, genuinely cared about how his family members felt, how his friends felt," said Jennifer Burrink, victim's aunt.

"He was a very generous, forgiving person, very loving, and trustworthy. And we're going to miss him a lot," said Chris Burrink, victim's friend. "Cherish the ones that you have in your life because you don't know when it's their time."

Bellinger's mother said the last time she spoke to her son, he was calling to say he was walking home from school. The Hanover Central Middle School student never made it.

"He called me from school and asked if he could walk home. And I told him he could," Jessica Bellinger said. Jeffery was her only child.

He was struck and killed by a freight train on Tuesday afternoon in the 8900-block of 137th Avenue in Cedar Lake, Ind., while walking near the tracks.

"I started calling him and wasn't getting any answer. Then I heard there was an incident on the train tracks. Didn't know it was him at the time," Bellinger said.

Police said the teenager was wearing earphones under his hoodie and didn't hear the oncoming train, which sounded its horn. His death was ruled accidental.

Hanover Community School District Superintendent Tom Taylor said the school warned students not to walk on the train tracks. Bellinger said she also spoke with her son about the dangers.
http://abc7chicago.com/news/boy-killed-by-train-honored-at-cedar-lake-vigil-/562530/
562638_630x354.jpg

What a sad day for this young man and his family and it brings back memories of a similar loss in my own family. My sister lost her 17 y/o son in Feb 1997 after a train hit him while he was trying to fix a mini bike along the tracks. We think that he was leaned over the bike and probably revving the motor and couldn't hear the train approaching. The same year in July she lost her 18 y/o son after he fell and fractured his cervical spine while painting the inside of a water tank they were painting.

I can't even imagine what it must be like for a mother who loses a child and an only child at that. However, that loss is one of the reasons I came to WS. I want to do anything I can to help those who have lost someone they love. Even if I can't do something physically I can pray for cases to be solved and for the comfort of family.

JMO, MOO etc

The only time I have heard of something like this happening in the place nearby where I live is when someone got stuck IN the tracks somehow.

What a sad day for this young man and his family and it brings back memories of a similar loss in my own family. My sister lost her 17 y/o son in Feb 1997 after a train hit him while he was trying to fix a mini bike along the tracks. We think that he was leaned over the bike and probably revving the motor and couldn't hear the train approaching. The same year in July she lost her 18 y/o son after he fell and fractured his cervical spine while painting the inside of a water tank they were painting.

I can't even imagine what it must be like for a mother who loses a child and an only child at that. However, that loss is one of the reasons I came to WS. I want to do anything I can to help those who have lost someone they love. Even if I can't do something physically I can pray for cases to be solved and for the comfort of family.

JMO, MOO etc

OMG Sweetgrits, I am so sorry for you and your sister's losses. How is your sister doing? I just can't even go there in my head. Heartfelt sympathies to you all.

OMG Sweetgrits, I am so sorry for you and your sister's losses. How is your sister doing? I just can't even go there in my head. Heartfelt sympathies to you all.

Thank you Zuri. For a while it was just awful but time helps as far as raw emotions most of the time. She still tears up when something she sees or hears reminds her. Not to dismiss how horrible it is for her, but i believe God really does only gives you what you can handle. She is definitely a stronger woman than I would be.

My heart goes out to this boy's family and friends; but, frankly, I can't think of a better way to die: instantly, without foreknowledge, and listening to his favorite tunes. (However, yes, children should be taught to stay off railroad tracks, which this child's mother may well have done. Kids don't always listen or remember.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back